Ray Allen " I am not very talented"

Ray, was a gangly kid that grew up on military bases across the world until he and his family settled in South Carolina. He was an outsider and awkward because he had seen more countries by the time he was 15 then more kids will see in their whole lives. He got extremely focused on basketball around 14 or 15 and happened to hit a growth spurt and through his work ethic became a pretty darn good player. I am not saying he does not have the intangibles but telling kids to work hard and dream should just not be chalked up as gibberish.. Just saying. Here are few names.. Steve Nash, Rajon Rhondo, Derek Fisher, Rod Strickland, and we can go on and on these dudes were under 6"5... All these guys are great athletes with great talent and at some point a pretty good work ethic, but according to your standards because they are not 6'5 or above they should not work hard or believe in a dreaming??

Man look, let a kid dream whatever dream they want. Reality catches up with folks sooner or later but I think what Ray was saying put in the work, something good will come out of it and it might be basketball. My opinion..

Ray, was a gangly kid that grew up on military bases across the world until he and his family settled in South Carolina. He was an outsider and awkward because he had seen more countries by the time he was 15 then more kids will see in their whole lives. He got extremely focused on basketball around 14 or 15 and happened to hit a growth spurt and through his work ethic became a pretty darn good player. I am not saying he does not have the intangibles but telling kids to work hard and dream should just not be chalked up as gibberish.. Just saying. Here are few names.. Steve Nash, Rajon Rhondo, Derek Fisher, Rod Strickland, and we can go on and on these dudes were under 6"5... All these guys are great athletes with great talent and at some point a pretty good work ethic, but according to your standards because they are not 6'5 or above they should not work hard or believe in a dreaming??

Man look, let a kid dream whatever dream they want. Reality catches up with folks sooner or later but I think what Ray was saying put in the work, something good will come out of it and it might be basketball. My opinion..
Very interesting and love the detail. But you know that Nash, Rondo, Fisher, Strikland area all WORLD Class DNA/athletes. They pick any pro sport, football, baseball, soccer their DNA gets them there easy. All those guys you mentioned had to have the "look" by 14-15 years old. Nash world class soccer, Rondo could play any pro sport guaranteed, same for fisher, Strickland.

And @member1 I agree with all in that paragraph. My problem is the cottage industry of trainers, AAU coaches etc. whose lively hood is for these kids to believe they can make money in sports. Which is a fraud that when these pros give speeches that say just work hard, kids need to get reality checked and quick.

To your last sentence, by the time a kid is 14-15-16, some needs to sit down and say here is the path, its not pros. Get the grades, get the education, work your off in sports. But be real.

I understand your intent but no. Unless school gym teacher rolling out the balls before going to the lounge counts as "coaching," kids that have had no coaching but want to play are not hard to find. Not even in basketball let alone the country club sports. High School is first exposure to organized sports for a lot of kids, particularly those without Dads. I've read your post regards the subject, so I'm sure you know that. We all have heard the stories of coaches roaming hallways looking for big or tall. I know one coach, found his sprinter when she ran by late for class. Said you couldn't barely hear her footsteps and she was movin.

Agree to disagree on this particular topic.

So
I understand your intent but no. Unless school gym teacher rolling out the balls before going to the lounge counts as "coaching," kids that have had no coaching but want to play are not hard to find. Not even in basketball let alone the country club sports. High School is first exposure to organized sports for a lot of kids, particularly those without Dads. I've read your post regards the subject, so I'm sure you know that. We all have heard the stories of coaches roaming hallways looking for big or tall. I know one coach, found his sprinter when she ran by late for class. Said you couldn't barely hear her footsteps and she was movin.
So you're saying that the raw talent in the sprinter was awesome, thereby making the opposing point.

Very interesting and love the detail. But you know that Nash, Rondo, Fisher, Strikland area all WORLD Class DNA/athletes. They pick any pro sport, football, baseball, soccer their DNA gets them there easy. All those guys you mentioned had to have the "look" by 14-15 years old. Nash world class soccer, Rondo could play any pro sport guaranteed, same for fisher, Strickland.

And @member1 I agree with all in that paragraph. My problem is the cottage industry of trainers, AAU coaches etc. whose lively hood is for these kids to believe they can make money in sports. Which is a fraud that when these pros give speeches that say just work hard, kids need to get reality checked and quick.

To your last sentence, by the time a kid is 14-15-16, some needs to sit down and say here is the path, its not pros. Get the grades, get the education, work your off in sports. But be real.
Again. I am simply saying that dudes like this are just genetically superior and didn't have to put in the work is my contention. There are 10 guys we all know that are more gifted athletically than these dudes.. What about Steph Curry?? A lot of guys more "talented" but what separates him is his fundamentals. How do you refine those skills...Work. Again my contention is simply assuming that all these dudes are just "blessed" with all this God given talent. Hard work gets some if them to that level. That work ethic can be a blessing too... All I am saying.

I always hate when elite athletes say they just worked hard.

Ray Allen HOF Speech
"I don't believe in talent. I'm here because I worked hard all my life," Allen said. "Without that work, no one in this room would know who I am besides my family. So to all the kids around the world watching, paying attention and aspiring to be like one of us, or even on this stage one day, put the work in and watch the magical ride you'll go on."

No Ray, your there because your 6'5' and had a 40 inch vertical when you were younger. I get the message and its valuable, but if Ray Allen was 6'1 and a 30 inch vertical, we have no idea who he is, no matter how hard he worked.

Too many kids now days dont realize you can work for 10 hours a day, and if your measurable and specs are not elite, it really does not matter. This is sad.

Tell that to Calvin Murphy

Tell that to Calvin Murphy
Come on, do you know how naturally talened that guy was. FAST! If Calvin Murphy has above average speed he would not have played D1 basketball forget about the pros. ELITE SPEED and quickness. Cant train for that, cant teach it, came from God.