Jeff Rotsky Steps Down

No surprise here.

I cannot see his act working at Solon though. His best formula would be a mid to small sized inner ring suburban program where he could run things the way wants to with minimal parent/admin pressure. Places like Warrensville Hts., Richmond Hts, and Brooklyn would be a much better landing spot than Solon.

Solon would be terrific. Coach McQuade had a nice run. Coach Rotsky would be a nice change of pace. Knowing him personally and knowing all the good he does for his student athletes, it would be awesome

No surprise here.

I cannot see his act working at Solon though. His best formula would be a mid to small sized inner ring suburban program where he could run things the way wants to with minimal parent/admin pressure. Places like Warrensville Hts., Richmond Hts, and Brooklyn would be a much better landing spot than Solon.
Also, a school in a smaller division probably gives him a better chance at playoff success.

Sorry if I missed it... what happened to the starting qb for Mentor? His playing time? was hoping for them!
Its covered in the game thread. Like pages 5-7 then later. Let's keep this one on topic at hand

Who has more info on Rotsky? Is it Solon or somewhere else ?

How about the Viking Village? At VASJ Jeff's ability to recruit would not be hindered. Lower division take less recruits to be competitive. The alumni want to win badly and may be able to put up with his peculiarities. Elvis has opened the door for him by his abrupt departure. It could be a good fit.

How about the Viking Village? At VASJ Jeff's ability to recruit would not be hindered. Lower division take less recruits to be competitive. The alumni want to win badly and may be able to put up with his peculiarities. Elvis has opened the door for him by his abrupt departure. It could be a good fit.
Seems logical if you're Rotsky, provided he isn't pre-occupied with competing/succeeding at the D1 level. Better question is whether VAS/the diocese has the appetite for Rotsky. Especially since VASJ's enrollment seems to be on firmer ground now.

Joes would be a logical choice, Rotsky had success at Chanel in the early 00’s winning a state title. Similar school setup to Chanel back then although VASJ is steady with nearly 500+ students back in the building. Only thing that may hinder this idea is if the Diocese and VASJ’s administration squash the thought immediately. The program no doubt needs new life, it would be a huge boost to a program that is hungry for consistent success on the gridiron.

If I had to guess VASJ may be more likely than Solon. Though, it would be a bit a surprise if he left a D1 school for a D4 private right down the road. I would think he would be able to draw many of the same kids he could potentially get at VASJ (outside the traditional feeders) to Euclid. I guess "recruiting" a kid to VASJ is a little easier than getting them to another public, but that didn't stop him at Maple Heights, Cleveland Heights or Euclid.

But seems from his comments, he is going to be coaching somewhere next year, so something had to have happened behind the scenes (unless he really does think he can get the Solon job, though, I'm not sold that's a good fit).

It'll be interesting to see how attractive the Euclid job is. They had very good success this year at the lower levels in GCC play, so should be some good internal talent to work with and whoever takes the job, could have a pretty easy pipeline to continue getting transfers such as Rotsky had done there.

This is nothing but me thinking aloud, but could the Euclid opening have a domino effect on another GCC school (Strongsville)? Lou Cirino, who I think is a good coach, is originally from the northeast-side suburbs (West Geauga) and he seemingly has aspirations to coach at a high level because he left as head coach at his alma mater for Strongsville. Just from a talent standpoint, I think he's reached his ceiling at Strongsville (having teams every couple of years that can be competitive but nothing more than a first, maybe second round type of team at best). At Euclid, he would still be at a big D1 school and as far as simply talent is concerned, Euclid will have more to work with than he has/will have at Strongsville. I guess Cirino could have interest in Solon as well (IF he would have any interest in Euclid), but that Solon job should draw a ton of interest despite them now being a smaller D1 (could that be a place that gets Tiger LaVerde to leave Kirtland???)

Though, I'm guessing Euclid may be looking for a black head coach, seeing that it now, I believe, has the largest number of black students in Ohio (and one of the highest percents ... close to 90). So, it will be a very attractive job for any of the top black head coaching candidates in NEO. And considering that Euclid may only have a handful of non-black football players in the entire program (if even that many), could be a tough sell in the community if they pass over a qualified black head coach unless a slam dunk candidate emerges, which I'm not sure Cirino is that; nor do I think a slam dunk non-black candidate (say LaVerde) would be interested.

Could Shaq Washington be interested in leaving his alma mater at Maple and jump up to the D1 level? That would be Euclid's slam dunk hire as far as being qualified and as far as fit, IMO.

Last edited:
I guess Cirino could have interest in Solon as well (IF he would have any interest in Euclid), but that Solon job should draw a ton of interest despite them now being a smaller D1 (could that be a place that gets Tiger LaVerde to leave Kirtland???)

And considering that Euclid may only have a handful of non-black football players in the entire program (if even that many), could be a tough sell in the community if they pass over a qualified black head coach unless a slam dunk candidate emerges, which I'm not sure Cirino is that; nor do I think a slam dunk non-black candidate (say LaVerde) would be interested.
Considering LaVerde is about to have a few of his kids in the high school, there’s a very minuscule chance he would even consider leaving Kirtland NOW for a D1 job. Could he try to do so in a few years when his kids have graduated? Perhaps, but I hope not!

Selfishly, I’d like him to stay in Kirtland forever. I’m sure teams have been knocking on his door for years now, but he and his family absolutely love it in Kirtland.

Considering LaVerde is about to have a few of his kids in the high school, there’s a very minuscule chance he would even consider leaving Kirtland NOW for a D1 job. Could he try to do so in a few years when his kids have graduated? Perhaps, but I hope not!

Selfishly, I’d like him to stay in Kirtland forever. I’m sure teams have been knocking on his door for years now, but he and his family absolutely love it in Kirtland.
And his wife teaches across the hall.

Solon doesn't strike me as a school that would want Rotsky, but who knows?
Why? The guy gets results wherever he goes. Solon doesn’t strike me as a Hudson type community. The classy Kareem Hunt fit in just fine.....didn’t he?

Not sold on any of this. D5 to D1 is a damn big jump. Coaching in D1 doesn’t have as much leeway in talent disparity as D5.

Why? The guy gets results wherever he goes. Solon doesn’t strike me as a Hudson type community. The classy Kareem Hunt fit in just fine.....didn’t he?
Just my observation that Solon would probably appreciate a quieter type than Rotsky. It just doesn’t seem their style, but Rotsky’s method gets some good results. Seems to be a ceiling to it, though.

Hudson and Solon seem very similar in being closed enrollment.

Not saying Rotskty couldn't make it work there, especially since Solon does usually have a lot of talent. But he has a thing that has worked for him in the past, with great success.

That also does include bringing in players (and so far within the OHSAA bylaws) from outside the districts he has coached in. That won't happen at Solon.

I'm not saying it couldn't work but it would be different philosophies coming together.

Mr. Mac Stephens is my choice.

That would pretty much make Cleveland Heights the feeder school to Euclid for coaches, lol. I could see that though. While Heights is D1, I think Euclid is a little more high profile due to being in the GCC.

I still think Washington is one to look for. Yeah, it may be tough to pull him away from his alma mater but he is young and has had a great start to his coaching career. Granted, he probably could land a college job right now if he wanted. But if he has higher aspirations than HS, he would probably really be a commodity if he was able to take Euclid to a higher level than they were under Rotsky.

I don’t see Mac Stephens leaving but what about his offensive coordinator? He’s very talented and is very community centered. I forget his name but he’d be a great choice.