Division 1 State Semi-Final: Mentor (9-1) vs Pickerington Central (10-0)

Covid has tainted the D1 trophy should PC win out IMO.
Wouldnt go that far but we will never know how Mentor would have done with kipp. Pc could have raised their game. It's possible. Obviously if you swap snow for kipp and everything else is equal tonight , I think we win. But it doesn't work that way. Gameplans change.

I do still think pc is better. But not convinced they are way better. Mentor is the 2nd or 3rd best team this year. Not bad at all for what I think is our 9th best team in the last 19 years.

Covid has tainted the D1 trophy should PC win out IMO.
The over exaggerated Covid had tainted a lot of things for people this year, let alone 1 football game. But I feel bad for this Kipp kid, not being able to play in a big game like this, when he was perfectly healthy, and never did anything wrong. But I give so much credit for Mentor to put up a heck of a game, especially with all the last minute adversity.

So it’s tainted that the school going for 3 state titles in 4 years beat a school that’s never won it ?

As someone who has no dog left in the fight. Its definitely not tainted. But as someone who has seen the past couple years how much Kipp has fit into that Mentor machine, there is real reasons to wonder what if (even if X blows out PC ... which im sure would delegitimize PC futher, this year, to anybody just casually paying attention), even if Kipp was able to go. ... IE, X was going to blow out either anyway, neglecting that X didn't exactly steamroll its way tonight.

Regardless of whether or not Mentor has ever won a title, 3 of the four teams in this final four are no strangers to this stage. They all have been here recently (with Mentor usually having to go through either Eds or Ignatius ... or both just to get out of the region ... this year they just blasted a Medina team that also did the the same). so hardly a tainted title... more of a what if scenario for Mentor. Still, that shouldn't take anything away from either PC or X.

Last edited:
So it’s tainted that the school going for 3 state titles in 4 years beat a school that’s never won it ?

It is tainted a bit considering what we saw tonight.

It’s not as tainted as last year, where the refs jobbed Mentor. I wish that game was available on YouTube. Truly awful.

So PC is really going for title number 2 after eeking by a sophomore QB making his first start and playing in a perennially awful region. Not overly impressive.

Mentor played a tough game. PC played a great 1st quarter and part 2nd quarter. Other than that it was PC's worst game of the year. The end of the 2nd quarter and beginning of the 3rd were awful. PC couldn't get out of their own way. Wallace played this game so smart. He didn't make any mistakes that cost his team. He was patient and composed. That being said. PC's worst game + No Kipp = level playing field. Welcome to the reality of should haves, could haves, and would haves. 9th best Mentor team in past 19 years.... Never heard anything of such nonsense before.

I loved Snow. That's how you know you have a good team. Next man up. He played jittery the first two quarters, but like a champ in the second half. Snow has the makings of a GREAT QB. This game will offer him endless experience going into next year. Mentor's defense was not good. The tough D can always find a way. They didn't create any turnovers. Mentor's D was mediocre at best. Mentor's strength is their offensive power. Overall Mentor was a good team, but not great. Their season results reflect that.

I read the posts from the bitter Mentor fans and think it's funny how great teams get lucky all the time. Yep, PC is really lucky.....Back in the State Championship game again. Back in the regional finals again. Back in the playoffs again. Winning the league title again. All luck. Bad refs. No Kipp. Never their own team's fault. PC was their own toughest opponent tonight. In general PC has Mentor's number, and you got smacked in the face once again. PC's formula for winning versus Mentor is spot on. It's not about shutting you out. It's about slowing you down. It's keep in the game and stick to wearing down the opponent. And unfortunately, this game will never be a rival game because you never won once. Lick your wounds and we will see you again someday. The Mentor program is awesome. It hasn't found the next step yet. But eventually it is going to pay off with a state championship game. I know some of this is tough to swallow. Losing always is. Good luck next year.

Mentor played a tough game. PC played a great 1st quarter and part 2nd quarter. Other than that it was PC's worst game of the year. The end of the 2nd quarter and beginning of the 3rd were awful. PC couldn't get out of their own way. Wallace played this game so smart. He didn't make any mistakes that cost his team. He was patient and composed. That being said. PC's worst game + No Kipp = level playing field. Welcome to the reality of should haves, could haves, and would haves. 9th best Mentor team in past 19 years.... Never heard anything of such nonsense before.

I loved Snow. That's how you know you have a good team. Next man up. He played jittery the first two quarters, but like a champ in the second half. Snow has the makings of a GREAT QB. This game will offer him endless experience going into next year. Mentor's defense was not good. The tough D can always find a way. They didn't create any turnovers. Mentor's D was mediocre at best. Mentor's strength is their offensive power. Overall Mentor was a good team, but not great. Their season results reflect that.

I read the posts from the bitter Mentor fans and think it's funny how great teams get lucky all the time. Yep, PC is really lucky.....Back in the State Championship game again. Back in the regional finals again. Back in the playoffs again. Winning the league title again. All luck. Bad refs. No Kipp. Never their own team's fault. PC was their own toughest opponent tonight. In general PC has Mentor's number, and you got smacked in the face once again. PC's formula for winning versus Mentor is spot on. It's not about shutting you out. It's about slowing you down. It's keep in the game and stick to wearing down the opponent. And unfortunately, this game will never be a rival game because you never won once. Lick your wounds and we will see you again someday. The Mentor program is awesome. It hasn't found the next step yet. But eventually it is going to pay off with a state championship game. I know some of this is tough to swallow. Losing always is. Good luck next year.

PC is a good program. Definitely top 5 in Ohio in recent history. Besides Ed’s and Mentor, PC can make a strong case for #3, so long as you choose the right time window.

I know it can be tough to swallow that PC plays in a “JV” type region and has benefited from favorable officiating and circumstances in their last 2 matchups against Mentor, but that’s not Mentor’s fault.

Chin up though, PC is still a good team.

Sorry but once again pc didn't smack Mentor in the mouth. You won by one td with our sophomore qb in his first start. Get over yourself.

This the 9th best mentor team at best since 2002. That's not nonsense. It's a fact

As for mediocre defense , yours looked bad too.

And yes it is a terrible break for us that kipp couldn't play and a lucky break for pc

Had Lorenzo Styles not been able to play I'm sure you'd say we got a lucky break. And I'd agree

Last edited:

Who cares where this Mentor team ranks, tbh. But to this point, either, doesn't seem like the poster realizes Mentor actually has played in three title games (and two being among the more dramatic ones ... Mentor not winning either)

Both (along with Colerain) have been the class of the publics for the past 20 years (maybe 10 in PC's case). All, though, have proven they can compete with anybody.

Who cares where this Mentor team ranks, tbh. But to this point, either, doesn't seem like the poster realizes Mentor actually has played in three title games (and two being among the more dramatic ones ... Mentor not winning either)

Both (along with Colerain) have been the class of the publics for the past 20 years (maybe 10 in PC's case). All, though, have proven they can compete with anybody.
4 title games. 3 more final fours in the last 15 years.

I'd say this is the weakest of those 7 teams. And 2003 and 2011 who lost in the final 8 would smoke this year's mentor team. That's 8 teams. Some could even argue a few more. Hence why I said 9th best at best

4 title games. 3 more final fours in the last 15 years.

I'd say this is the weakest of those 7 teams. And 2003 and 2011 who lost in the final 8 would smoke this year's mentor team. That's 8 teams. Some could even argue a few more. Hence why I said 9th best at best

Look, I completely get this is an “average” level mentor team in comparison to the last ten years but you mentioning this as a fallback excuse every other comment gets old man. Mentor had a really good team and happened to catch a bad break against another really good team team. That said, the absolute least you could do is give a shred of credit to the PC program instead of blaming the entire loss on this being a very “average” mentor team.. your predictable response will be “when did I ever say this loss was because of this being an inferior mentor team?” To that I say re-read your last 50 comments or so and tell me what a reasonable person would draw from them lol. Not everything goes your way in life. That is a lesson you axiomatically did not pick up during your own high school sports days. For shame.

Look, I completely get this is an “average” level mentor team in comparison to the last ten years but you mentioning this as a fallback excuse every other comment gets old man. Mentor had a really good team and happened to catch a bad break against another really good team team. That said, the absolute least you could do is give a shred of credit to the PC program instead of blaming the entire loss on this being a very “average” mentor team.. your predictable response will be “when did I ever say this loss was because of this being an inferior mentor team?” To that I say re-read your last 50 comments or so and tell me what a reasonable person would draw from them lol. Not everything goes your way in life. That is a lesson you axiomatically did not pick up during your own high school sports days. For shame.
Facts

I've literally said PC is the better team a ton of times in this thread. And my post was just backing up direct quotes on one person acting like there is no way we had 8 better teams. And another just saying we had 4 runner ups not 3

Also it was mostly to point out why I didn't expect a win. Pc has way more talent and is better. Said that throughout. In fact I was accused of sandbagging multiple times earlier in the thread Factually I've been saying pc and st x are the best two teams all year long

Even said sure if you swap kipp and snow and all else is equal we win. But then said that's not how it works. We will never know. Gameplans would change completely. I think Mentor could beat pc maybe 3 times if they had a 10 game series Tonight they caught pc not at their optimum level and we played the best we could play with the situation. Hence why it was close.

.Nice rant though.

One of their few idiot posters acted like Mentor got punched in the mouth this year and last. They won by 1 td. Heck today they had 3 short fields and scored on two long finesse type runs. And their d looked bad. If anything Mentor's scoring drives were more physical

Definitely not a punch in the mouth type win for them but a win is a win

Last edited:
Infrequent poster. Frustrated Cards fan. I saw the highlights on the news. Snow made some fantastic throws. Two comments/questions: Why next to zero news why Kipp didn't play? Injured while driving (?). What does that mean? Even the coverage on fox 8 says nothing other than "Snow filling in for Kipp". Sorry, but that feels odd. Second point: hard to win a game giving up 38 points. Seems the same story every year, the offense has to score every time they have the ball. This problem goes back to when Trubisky played and we gave up an average of 49 points a game in the playoffs. The mantra seemed to be "who needs defense? we have Mitch!". I hope one of these years we create a smash mouth, shut down defense.

Ig
Infrequent poster. Frustrated Cards fan. I saw the highlights on the news. Snow made some fantastic throws. Two comments/questions: Why next to zero news why Kipp didn't play? Injured while driving (?). What does that mean? Even the coverage on fox 8 says nothing other than "Snow filling in for Kipp". Sorry, but that feels odd. Second point: hard to win a game giving up 38 points. Seems the same story every year, the offense has to score every time they have the ball. This problem goes back to when Trubisky played and we gave up an average of 49 points a game in the playoffs. The mantra seemed to be "who needs defense? we have Mitch!". I hope one of these years we create a smash mouth, shut down defense.
Read the thread around pages 5-7 and you'll figure out why he didn't play . They didn't mention it to shield the kid.

The D has been a frequent problem for mentor but they made some plays tonight to keep us in it too. Pc had some short fields due to bad punts and the offense sputtering for the first quarter and a half. That's expected with a sophomore making his first start at qb.

Pc just had more talent and pulled it out. Mentor played as best as anyone could expect and then some given the circumstances. I thought they'd get killed. Instead they fought hard

forgot to add this. Clipped from the New Herald, a Lake county news outlet:
Snow got the starting nod after regular starter Ian Kipp was ruled out of action a day earlier for unspecified reasons. Mentor athletic director Jeff Cassella said Kipp — an all-Ohioan and finalist for Ohio's Mr. Football award last year — was "not available."

Ig
Read the thread around pages 5-7 and you'll figure out why he didn't play . They didn't mention it to shield the kid.

The D has been a frequent problem for mentor but they made some plays tonight to keep us in it too. Pc had some short fields due to bad punts and the offense sputtering for the first quarter and a half. That's expected with a sophomore making his first start at qb.

Pc just had more talent and pulled it out. Mentor played as best as anyone could expect and then some given the circumstances. I thought they'd get killed. Instead they fought hard
thanks, I should have looked back a few pages. I get it now, it's COVID. What I don't get is why the news just didn't say that. They specify that reason for college, pros and I've seen it mentioned when high school games are cancelled. I guess I give the kid credit for admitting he didn't feel well (if, in fact, that's what happened). A lot of people would have been tempted to deal with it and try to play, unless he was flat on his back sick.

thanks, I should have looked back a few pages. I get it now, it's COVID. What I don't get is why the news just didn't say that. They specify that reason for college, pros and I've seen it mentioned when high school games are cancelled. I guess I give the kid credit for admitting he didn't feel well (if, in fact, that's what happened). A lot of people would have been tempted to deal with it and try to play, unless he was flat on his back sick.
It's a medical and privacy issue with a kid. They usually don't talk in detail on that

what is the rumor with Mentor QB? Mentor could have won the game with him. I expected PC to win this one big.
Read pages 5-7

As for the second part I'll copy my post from the real champ or covid champ thread

I honestly think pc is better than us overall. They didn't play their best game and we did play at a high level with the cards we were dealt.

In a one game scenario upsets can happen. Mentor nearly had a miracle tonight. But that doesn't mean we are the better team

Mentor gave a valiant effort. Scoring 31 pts should be enough to win. Offense seems to be the name of the game anymore in football.

Amazing effort and heart by Mentor.

Absolutely pathetic by PC. Gave up 31 points to a sophomore making his first start. Lol. Isn’t that just about what they gave up all year total? And Mentor left points out there.

I changed my mind even more. Mentor wins this game with Kipp. That PC defense was average.
Who knows, maybe there will be a recount and your team will win, but I doubt it. Neither team had their best night. The bitter pill has TIGERS scribed on it. Sorry for your LOSS.

Read pages 5-7

As for the second part I'll copy my post from the real champ or covid champ thread

I honestly think pc is better than us overall. They didn't play their best game and we did play at a high level with the cards we were dealt.

In a one game scenario upsets can happen. Mentor nearly had a miracle tonight. But that doesn't mean we are the better team
damn COVID!

Great game Mentor. They played very hard and their backup QB stepped big time. Their coaches put them in position to compete. They loaded the box and dared PC to pass which is smart. Coming in, I thought Mentors O-Line was strong and they showed that last night. Their RB ran hard as expected. Mentor is a really good program and the future looks bright.
Hopefully PC can finish it off next week and win their 3rd D1 State Championship in 4 years.

And my post was just backing up direct quotes on one person acting like there is no way we had 8 better teams. And another just saying we had 4 runner ups not 3

One of their few idiot posters acted like Mentor got punched in the mouth this year and last. They won by 1 td. Heck today they had 3 short fields and scored on two long finesse type runs. And their d looked bad. If anything Mentor's scoring drives were more physical

Definitely not a punch in the mouth type win for them but a win is a win
Because you don't know that you had 8 better teams. That's just awful to say about your team you had on the field yesterday. They have too much talent and heart.
Definitely a punch in the mouth type of win for them. AGAIN..... You act like this game hasn't been played before. How many more times do you want to have the same game plan laid out. It's the same game plan every time. Every time. Nothing has changed. It's run the ball to control the tone of the game. It's slow the offense down to keep in the game. Pc knows that Mentor has a high powered offense. That's the punch to the mouth.
I find it hard to believe your coaches didn't know what's coming.

Since you are a history buff, and this is Mentor's 8th best team in the last 19 years, lets look at the history.
2020-PC 38 - M 31 (put this score aside)
2019-PC 28 - M 21
2017-PC 56 - M 28
Mentor 2020 OFFENSE - 40pts/game
Mentor 2020 DEFENSE -15pts/game
PC 2020 OFFENSE - 40pts/game
PC 2020 Defense - 5.5pts/game
Simple break down:
1. PC put up the most points against Mentor this year than any other team. (I understand the short fields, but that's football, good defenses find a way. PC did.)
2. PC held Mentor to 31 points. Or you can say Mentor scored 31pts. If that makes you feel better.
Conclusions?
1.Mentor's offense was the best offense PC faced this year. Check
2.Mentor's defense was mediocre at best. Check
3.Mentor had fewer penalties.
4.Mentor was the best team PC played this year. Check
5.PC won the special team battle. Check
6.This was PC's worst performance this year. Check
7. Like it or not the desperation in your posts and other Mentor fan posts say you got punched in the face because of the loss and it stings, so you are a little bitter man. Checkmate
I know this is some smack talk, but some of the Mentor fan posts are off the wall. This is your reality.

Because you don't know that you had 8 better teams. That's just awful to say about your team you had on the field yesterday. They have too much talent and heart.
Definitely a punch in the mouth type of win for them. AGAIN..... You act like this game hasn't been played before. How many more times do you want to have the same game plan laid out. It's the same game plan every time. Every time. Nothing has changed. It's run the ball to control the tone of the game. It's slow the offense down to keep in the game. Pc knows that Mentor has a high powered offense. That's the punch to the mouth.
I find it hard to believe your coaches didn't know what's coming.

Since you are a history buff, and this is Mentor's 8th best team in the last 19 years, lets look at the history.
2020-PC 38 - M 31 (put this score aside)
2019-PC 28 - M 21
2017-PC 56 - M 28
Mentor 2020 OFFENSE - 40pts/game
Mentor 2020 DEFENSE -15pts/game
PC 2020 OFFENSE - 40pts/game
PC 2020 Defense - 5.5pts/game
Simple break down:
1. PC put up the most points against Mentor this year than any other team. (I understand the short fields, but that's football, good defenses find a way. PC did.)
2. PC held Mentor to 31 points. Or you can say Mentor scored 31pts. If that makes you feel better.
Conclusions?
1.Mentor's offense was the best offense PC faced this year. Check
2.Mentor's defense was mediocre at best. Check
3.Mentor had fewer penalties.
4.Mentor was the best team PC played this year. Check
5.PC won the special team battle. Check
6.This was PC's worst performance this year. Check
7. Like it or not the desperation in your posts and other Mentor fan posts say you got punched in the face because of the loss and it stings, so you are a little bitter man. Checkmate
I know this is some smack talk, but some of the Mentor fan posts are off the wall. This is your reality.
Yeah I didn't even read your post. Not worth my time. It's not horrible to rate teams on a message board though. There's a whole thread on it on the front page

After you said that was a punch in the mouth game , you lost all credibility. Pc won by one td. If anything Mentor's drives were more physical