D3 State Predictions

I'll throw my two cents in and guess whoever makes it out of The Gauntlet of D3 SW Ohio Regionals wins it this year. I would have loved to see Bluffton vs Botkins State FInals last year but The Wellington School came in like a freight train that year. I think Bluffton's biggest challenge is either Maumee Valley CD/Ottawa Hills Winner. Hard to really pick a clear cut favorite knowing a lot of these teams (Troy Christian, Botkins, Bluffton) beefed up their schedules this season to prepare for tournament.

I'll throw my two cents in and guess whoever makes it out of The Gauntlet of D3 SW Ohio Regionals wins it this year. I would have loved to see Bluffton vs Botkins State FInals last year but The Wellington School came in like a freight train that year. I think Bluffton's biggest challenge is either Maumee Valley CD/Ottawa Hills Winner. Hard to really pick a clear cut favorite knowing a lot of these teams (Troy Christian, Botkins, Bluffton) beefed up their schedules this season to prepare for tournament.

Mariemont is the #1 Ranked team in the state and has a perfect record (I believe 19-0-0). I’d have to think they’re the favorite to make it out of the SW Ohio region. Though their results lately have to make you question their defending. 5 goals allowed in 2 games is a red flag. Hopefully it was just a blip and they can pull it out

Mariemont is the #1 Ranked team in the state and has a perfect record (I believe 19-0-0). I’d have to think they’re the favorite to make it out of the SW Ohio region. Though their results lately have to make you question their defending. 5 goals allowed in 2 games is a red flag. Hopefully it was just a blip and they can pull it out

Absolutely! I guess by referring to the gauntlet that is the SW District I failed to add in Mariemont. Which for the likes of Botkins to get back to the final 4 they will need to get by them first. Then whoever comes out of there will be the likely favorite to win it all.

Since the start of D3 in 2000, I can’t remember the division being more wide open than this season (possibly 2018 when Archbold beat Dayton Christian in the state final). Unlike most years where maybe 1-5 teams are capable of winning, I think many of the remaining teams are capable this year. Mariemont is a super team, but look at the challenges of the past two rounds. I’m expecting a lot of very competitive games in the next two weeks.

Bluffton got upset at the district level, which is a bit of a surprise.

Mariemont's been extended a bit the last two games, maybe a little moreso than your normal undefeated No. 1 in the state type team. Though in fairness, SWO D3 is pretty deep, and if I recall correctly CCD and Mariemont played a tight regular season game so OT in the post-season can't be unexpected.

In the northeast, Canton Central Catholic was a surprise upset loser to Norwayne in the district semi. There was another surprise in NW Ohio D3, forget what it was. NE Ohio D3 is pretty open at this point for who clears.

Bucksman, not sure if you know Mariemont was down 2-1 with 6 minutes left v CCD in sectional final. Many close games. Good D3 tournament this year.

I'd say Mooney/South Range winner v Mariemont in the final

Both Mooney and South Range are led by a handful of seniors but will both be very good again next year as well.

#1-ranked Mariemont is more than capable of winning the title, but three consecutive 1-goal victories (including the late come from behind scare with CCD in the sectional finals) show that they aren't invincible. I do expect Mariemont to avenge its 2019 regional loss to Botkins, but I do expect them to face a great opponent in Grandview Heights (whom I expect to get past undefeated/untied Wheelersburg). No team in the bottom half of the draw has won a state championship. I was surprised to learn that Mooney was back in D3. This team has been a powerhouse for decades, but I hadn't heard much from them in recent years. I know they had a senior transfer who was denied the opportunity to play the second half of the season...but may have been allowed to play in the tournament by an injunction. Any news about that? I know little else about the upper half except that Ottawa Hills has been a highly-acclaimed team the past few years (including a state championship not too long ago...7 years ago? 8?) but suffered tough unexpected tournament losses. Definitely a formidable program.

#1-ranked Mariemont is more than capable of winning the title, but three consecutive 1-goal victories (including the late come from behind scare with CCD in the sectional finals) show that they aren't invincible. I do expect Mariemont to avenge its 2019 regional loss to Botkins, but I do expect them to face a great opponent in Grandview Heights (whom I expect to get past undefeated/untied Wheelersburg). No team in the bottom half of the draw has won a state championship. I was surprised to learn that Mooney was back in D3. This team has been a powerhouse for decades, but I hadn't heard much from them in recent years. I know they had a senior transfer who was denied the opportunity to play the second half of the season...but may have been allowed to play in the tournament by an injunction. Any news about that? I know little else about the upper half except that Ottawa Hills has been a highly-acclaimed team the past few years (including a state championship not too long ago...7 years ago? 8?) but suffered tough unexpected tournament losses. Definitely a formidable program.

Unbelievable. Ottawa Hills state title was 12 years ago! Argh! Mooney won the D2 state title in 2002.

Up in the air according to the local paper yesterday.

Inconsequential really