an individual coaches proposal for 20/21

He is a idea that most are missing the point. Why we drag our youth and healthy people through the mud to combat the spread of a virus that kills mostly old and immune compromised people is SUICIDE! which is up by 40% since this started.Almost 50,000 in 2018 in US.Boys are 4 times more likely to commit suicide. Around 500 in ohio under 20. There's 100 times more suicide deaths in our youth now than before, but who cares right? Just keep social distancing them and wearing masks not competing staying home.Quaritine them for sitting 5.5 feet away from someone! Or might have tackled a kid who tested positive.We are all heading down a road of ! Look up the numbers it is staggering. 2 kids die from covid in ohio so far and over 300 committed suicide !up by almost 50%!Come up with a plan for that!!! It's called depression and suppression! I know people that have been competing all of the US and nothing, yep no covid! We should be ashamed we are putting our youth through this! Focus on nursing homes , prisons , elderly and sick. The rest move the hell on!!!!

Or we can continue to focus on making them wear a cotton t shirt on there face , social distancing from friends and family. Not compete in school events, games, matches,state, homecoming, gradation etc. And flip the coin on how this affects them immediately and for there lifetime. Wake up people we are smarter than this!

Ok. It's open for anyone to use (unless you're from Michigan ;)) all I'd ask is a proper citation.
Sorry but I stoped reading after "competitions on Saturday only"
Once a week for a meet is way out of the question.
Let these kids wrestle!

Sorry but I stoped reading after "competitions on Saturday only"
Once a week for a meet is way out of the question.
Let these kids wrestle!

Way out of the question? If you can't see to compromise on one point, one that offers benefits to everyone well beyond this pandemic, then you're not really interested in the good of the sport and the athletes.

Way out of the question? If you can't see to compromise on one point, one that offers benefits to everyone well beyond this pandemic, then you're not really interested in the good of the sport and the athletes.
I agree we have to compromise but 1 meet per week seems a little low. I can see 1 dual meet and 1 dual-up to a 6 to 8 school meet on the weekend.

I agree we have to compromise but 1 meet per week seems a little low. I can see 1 dual meet and 1 dual-up to a 6 to 8 school meet on the weekend.

"Seems" a little low. So you just don't like it, and that's justification? And you're proposing an 8-school meet on a weekend? That's not on anyone's radar.

Doesn't seem like you get the point of this exercise. It's to come up with a plan that makes outsiders satisfied that wrestling is safe. Not to come up with a plan that sates your wrestling preference.

The weekend only approach, which serves football just fine, has additional benefits:

- Saves a lot of time for students, and helps with their grades as they don't travel on a school nite.
- Saves travel time and costs for parents and schools.
- Means wrestlers aren't forced to cut weight 2x in a week.

All while allowing wrestlers to get 30-50 matches in the season, all while safer from the spread of COVID19.

That's a lot of benefits for the low cost of giving up a Thu night dual.

"Seems" a little low. So you just don't like it, and that's justification? And you're proposing an 8-school meet on a weekend? That's not on anyone's radar.

Doesn't seem like you get the point of this exercise. It's to come up with a plan that makes outsiders satisfied that wrestling is safe. Not to come up with a plan that sates your wrestling preference.

The weekend only approach, which serves football just fine, has additional benefits:

- Saves a lot of time for students, and helps with their grades as they don't travel on a school nite.

All while allowing wrestlers to get 30-50 matches in the season, all while safer from the spread of COVID19.

Remember that your suggestions are just that... “your” suggestions. Everyone isn’t gonna agree with all (or any) of your ideas.
Don’t get snippy when someone disagrees with your ideas.
“Your” suggestions aren’t the gospel to the wrestling rules of engagement.

• Haha
Reactions: SCC
Remember that your suggestions are just that... “your” suggestions. Everyone isn’t gonna agree with all (or any) of your ideas.
Don’t get snippy when someone disagrees with your ideas.
“Your” suggestions aren’t the gospel to the wrestling rules of engagement.

Feel free to offer better suggestions that meet the goal. I'm happy to see improvements. But complaining that doing something different means you actually have to do something different isn't productive. It's just whining.

Son's team has multiple duals scheduled during the week (just like a normal year) and they have two 8 team tournaments scheduled as of right now with a couple of quads on some other weekends.

Not saying that I disagree with your plan or anything. If you can find 4, 5, or 6 team events for my son's HS to do that do not include other restrictions like no overnight's, I'm all ears. I'll take them to the coach who has already been working to get the schedule filled. Right now, they are looking at about 25 matches before sectionals.

They have other restrictions too that make doing events during the week necessary like gym availability and trying to have events for JV and freshman as well.

Son's team has multiple duals scheduled during the week (just like a normal year) and they have two 8 team tournaments scheduled as of right now with a couple of quads on some other weekends.

Not saying that I disagree with your plan or anything. If you can find 4, 5, or 6 team events for my son's HS to do that do not include other restrictions like no overnight's, I'm all ears. I'll take them to the coach who has already been working to get the schedule filled. Right now, they are looking at about 25 matches before sectionals.

They have other restrictions too that make doing events during the week necessary like gym availability.

So far it seems like teams are keeping their schedules as much as possible. If it works out, great. I'm not saying that's a bad thing.

What I am concerned about is a scenario along these lines:

No changes are made, or worse, minor changes are made like W. Virginia did. Outbreak occurs (newspapers will play up any outbreak, large or small). Leadership claims, "We did everything possible to prevent this. The virus can't be stopped except for total shutdown."

Bang. We lose everything.

My thought has always been, "How can we have a good season while truly reducing possibility of spread of COVID?" I believe to do that some changes have to be made. But those changes don't have to be extreme. They don't have to follow what IL, MD or other states are doing.

Last edited:
Oh, I understand the intent of your plan. I just don't know that doing weekend events only is a doable plan.

The choices only get narrower until there are none.
Vermont, with some of the lowest cases (possibly the lowest) nationwide cancelled their season.

OHSAA said a maximum of 3 teams per event, so tournaments may not happen this year
It was an example not a requirement nowhere in the article says it is a requirement

"⦁ For individual sports, reduce the number of opponents that participate. The OHSAA used an example of three maximum schools for wrestling, swimming, gymnastics and bowling meets. "

Last edited:
It was an example not a requirement nowhere in the article says it is a requirement

"⦁ For individual sports, reduce the number of opponents that participate. The OHSAA used an example of three maximum schools for wrestling, swimming, gymnastics and bowling meets. "

So you know what they said and meant but you'll fight they were only giving an example. You realize trying to find loopholes will be what get's the sport shutdown

So you know what they said and meant but you'll fight they were only giving an example. You realize trying to find loopholes will be what get's the sport shutdown
It's not a loophole its what was said..my bad for quoting a fact ..I'll try better next time...relax

Maybe number 2 of this coaches proposal might be the way to go, 1 is crazy but if our season is started and canceled then we can propose that as a last resort. I don't think we get canceled but with all of the pauses happening who knows, our coaches associations have been silent since the non proposal at the beginning of the season.

Our team just finished revamping our schedule. We are doing 9, 6 team dual tournaments. On Saturdays. No dual, tri, quad or bracket tournaments. We have 45 matches for each kid before sectionals. We are happy with this. More matches, less time in the gyms, no week night travel for a dual. Oh, and we are happy to be wrestling at all. We will wear masks, we will distance, we will do it without spectators if we must. But the kids will wrestle. The only thing that is killing the sport is all the political and conspiracy and bickering that goes on no matter the topic. Shut up. Please.

Our team just finished revamping our schedule. We are doing 9, 6 team dual tournaments. On Saturdays. No dual, tri, quad or bracket tournaments. We have 45 matches for each kid before sectionals. We are happy with this. More matches, less time in the gyms, no week night travel for a dual.

That's a great idea. Someone should have suggested that long ago!

But take your own advice re: politics.

governor and OHSAA recommended duals or tris, this gives the sport a better chance of finishing. but some will try to do as many as possible regardless of exposure to a shutdown. schools, districts and counties are dropping like flies so good luck getting 45 matches

governor and OHSAA recommended duals or tris, this gives the sport a better chance of finishing. but some will try to do as many as possible regardless of exposure to a shutdown. schools, districts and counties are dropping like flies so good luck getting 45 matches
Thanks!

Our team just finished revamping our schedule. We are doing 9, 6 team dual tournaments. On Saturdays. No dual, tri, quad or bracket tournaments. We have 45 matches for each kid before sectionals. We are happy with this. More matches, less time in the gyms, no week night travel for a dual. Oh, and we are happy to be wrestling at all. We will wear masks, we will distance, we will do it without spectators if we must. But the kids will wrestle. The only thing that is killing the sport is all the political and conspiracy and bickering that goes on no matter the topic. Shut up. Please.

Yesterday, Lucas County just north of you suspended all high school sports until January 11. At this point be grateful for any wrestling that happens, kids in Lucas County have to wait until Jan 12 at best. Feel bad for the seniors, but maybe it's the best way to resume in January and finish. At least some Counties are making decisions to try and help.

Last edited: