Green vs Hoover

My question to you is, where could Green go if they left the FED? Not being privy to the sentiments of the Suburban League, but did Green burn bridges when they left? Outside of the Suburban, there is really no other league that Green would be considered other than the FED. They could try to form a league with Alliance, Marlington, Louisville, and pluck off a couple of Portage County teams such as Kent and Ravenna, but they would need Lake to make the move with them, which is highly unlikely.
Good points, Stark County Legend.

Lake and Green are undersized in the FED, it shows up the most in football.

The challenge is geography. Not too many schools in the D2 range around Akron-Canton area. What stinks for Lake is you see schools like Hudson and Avon in D2 go undefeated this year and still in the playoffs and you know if those schools are in the federal they would have a losing record in the league.

Wadsworth would be a perfect fit for Lake and Green, but Lake to Wadsworth is a 45 minute drive. Louisville, Marlington, Alliance, Tallmadge, Copley, Kent Roosevelt are the other schools that are D2-D3 range but that would be a good situation for football.

When Lake plays those schools (other than Louisville), it isn’t close.

The challenge is geography. Not too many schools in the D2 range around Akron-Canton area. What stinks for Lake is you see schools like Hudson and Avon in D2 go undefeated this year and still in the playoffs and you know if those schools are in the federal they would have a losing record in the league.
Are you kidding? Avon and Hudson would do just fine in the Fed. Green beat a Westlake team 40-20 that Hudson or Avon would have a running clock on in the second quarter.

I posted this in a Minerva thread. BTW, I'm old schools where publics had middle schools and junior highs.

Maybe we need to stop having every junior high affiliated with their "big brother's" league so we don't have to worry about the effect of school proximity on the lower levels. They should be scheduling games against other junior highs in their area, not having to worry about travelling 'X' miles like their high school does because it's a 'conference game'.

Do junior highs actually hang league/conference championship banners?

I posted this in a Minerva thread. BTW, I'm old schools where publics had middle schools and junior highs.

Maybe we need to stop having every junior high affiliated with their "big brother's" league so we don't have to worry about the effect of school proximity on the lower levels. They should be scheduling games against other junior highs in their area, not having to worry about travelling 'X' miles like their high school does because it's a 'conference game'.

Do junior highs actually hang league/conference championship banners?

No they don't hang banners, but from a Lake view it gets the 8th graders past the fear of the mystique of the bigger schools we have to play in the league

Are you kidding? Avon and Hudson would do just fine in the Fed. Green beat a Westlake team 40-20 that Hudson or Avon would have a running clock on in the second quarter.
Green was up 34-0 at halftime in that game. It was 40-0 early in the third. Westlake scored all of their points against Green's backups. Green could have scored 60 if they wanted to.

Really? The last 2 times Hudson played at Lake, the halftime scores were something 45-3 (2012) and 40-3 (2014). The 2012 game set the all-time record for Lake's largest deficit at halftime. Lake dropped Hudson after the '14 season. If Hudson played Lake this year it would not be close. Same goes for Avon. This year's Hudson team would beat Lake by 4 TD's. I do agree Lake is in a tough spot in the Fed considering the enrollment disparity. I also agree the Fed would be more of a grind for Hudson and Avon, but they wouldn't have losing records, that's delusional.

You make my point for me. With all due respect to Green (it is a nice area with great schools), it has had well-documented struggles in the Fed in football. Green has been at the bottom of the Fed every year since it joined and it goes up and destroys Westlake.

Also, this Lake senior class played Avon a couple times. They played as freshman and Lake won something like 42-8. Then they played JV and Lake won big again. Supposedly Avon's JV team had not lost in a long time prior to that game. I know a lot of things change from freshman year to Varsity, however, if you look at Avon's schedule and Lake's, it is night and day.

Well several points. Nobody is looking to get out of the FL. The FL is not having trouble keeping the league right where its at and are not trying to fill the 8th spot. Green spent months pondering the move to the FL and outside of football they are a solid addition. I really don't get why people don't think their facilities are up to par, baseball field is fine compared to most I've been at, basketball they did screw up and make too small but its fine, not nearly as good as the rest of the league except Lakes. Their football stadium is pretty good, with all the buzz about Lakes I have just not seen it, I must be missing something as to why its supposedly so much nicer than Greens? I see them on the same level. Green just can't sustain injuries the way the other schools can especially with 8 seniors. They need to build on their solid youth programs and usually good 8th and 9th classes somehow? Still solid kids, solid community and I believe they will keep working hard at it.

You make my point for me. With all due respect to Green (it is a nice area with great schools), it has had well-documented struggles in the Fed in football. Green has been at the bottom of the Fed every year since it joined and it goes up and destroys Westlake.

Also, this Lake senior class played Avon a couple times. They played as freshman and Lake won something like 42-8. Then they played JV and Lake won big again. Supposedly Avon's JV team had not lost in a long time prior to that game. I know a lot of things change from freshman year to Varsity, however, if you look at Avon's schedule and Lake's, it is night and day.
Avon develops at the lower levels. They split teams from 7th-JV. It's all about getting kids ready for varsity. I agree the Fed is overall stronger than the SWC, but Avon's postseason record as a D2 speaks for itself. Possibly more postseason wins than the entire Fed combined over the past 10 years, and that is not a knock on the Fed. It's just a point about Avon. Lake has a very good program. Perry, Hoover, McK, etc. Louisville, too. But to say very successful programs like Avon and Hudson would have losing records in the Fed is silly. The Durbins have been at North Ridgeville now for several years and can't win, so there must be at least a little challenge up there. That being said, I would love to see more non-league games between Fed schools and the SWC. I know Avon Lake was supposed to play at Hoover this year. Avon has Brunswick, Medina and Glenville next year, but a Fed game down the road would be great. Most have awesome facilities.

Really? The last 2 times Hudson played at Lake, the halftime scores were something 45-3 (2012) and 40-3 (2014). The 2012 game set the all-time record for Lake's largest deficit at halftime. Lake dropped Hudson after the '14 season. If Hudson played Lake this year it would not be close. Same goes for Avon. This year's Hudson team would beat Lake by 4 TD's. I do agree Lake is in a tough spot in the Fed considering the enrollment disparity. I also agree the Fed would be more of a grind for Hudson and Avon, but they wouldn't have losing records, that's delusional.
Hudson had something like 35 seniors in the 2014 game. That was perhaps Hudson's best season ever. If I remember correctly, they advanced all the way in D1 playoffs until they played a stacked St. Eds team. Yes, Hudson won that game big. They were loaded. Their QB was a D1 recruit along with others. Lake was outmatched but that was not a traditional year.

Hudson has not played a D1 program this year. Lake plays Jackson and McKinley every year plus Perry and Hoover which are excellent D2 programs. Its too bad Hudson and Lake don't play anymore. I think Lake fans would salivate at Hudson's schedule.

Hudson had something like 35 seniors in the 2014 game. That was perhaps Hudson's best season ever. If I remember correctly, they advanced all the way in D1 playoffs until they played a stacked St. Eds team. Yes, Hudson won that game big. They were loaded. Their QB was a D1 recruit along with others. Lake was outmatched but that was not a traditional year.

Hudson has not played a D1 program this year. Lake plays Jackson and McKinley every year plus Perry and Hoover which are excellent D2 programs. Its too bad Hudson and Lake don't play anymore. I think Lake fans would salivate at Hudson's schedule.

The '12 game was worse than '14. The '13 and '11 games Hudson won were both good games. Hudson would have had Solon, Strongsville, and Stow except for Covid. I guess Lake could have kept Hudson on their schedule, recall they're the ones that dropped. I take these rankings for what they're worth but they're at least directionally close. Hudson is ranked #7 in Ohio, all divisions, Lake is ranked #115 by Maxpreps. Of course it would be more of a grind if Hudson was in the Fed, but they also wouldn't be below .500. And again I do agree Lake is a good D2 school, that has a tough deal in the Fed. But if you think Hudson/Avon would struggle with Hoover, Green, Lake, Glenoak.... that's the delusional part. You're overvaluing your league. There are years both those schools would compete for the Fed championship. If we're arguing who is better Lake or Hudson, there's not really an argument here, refer to my comments above. Maybe someday Lake will schedule Hudson again.

Last edited: