Is Lakota West a state contender?

West is definitely going to contend. Putting 3 under 16 is impressive. As with most meets, that 4-5 position is going to be key. I thought that's X's depth would have the edge but I'm not sure.

For a sense of perspective, where was the GCL held?

Lakota West and St. X are the top 2 teams in the State right now, I think. I give the edge to X since they just beat West two weeks ago at X’s home meet.
Hilliard Davidson and Kenston are certainly in the conversation as well.
It will be interesting to see what Beavercreek can do when it’s not just smashing their heads against the GWOC.
Mason has not been able to get it together this year. On paper they have the firepower to contend but we haven’t seen them all show up on race day.
The Southwest region is going to be brutal. After the 4 SW teams mentioned above, it’l be a bloodbath between Loveland, Lebanon, Tippecanoe, Lakota East, and maybe others for the last ticket to State.

Useless to compare GMC to GCL results. St. X jogged to victory there, like they have for the last several years.
It’s pathetic what has become of the GCL. I remember when 3 of the best teams in the state were in that 4 team conference. Now they’ve let all the talent go to X.

Hard to believe how West smacked Mason at the GMC meet. http://live.finishtiming.com/meets/202000431/events/2
Can they challenge St. Xavier who perfected their league meet? http://www.finishtiming.com/links.php?uniqueid=5E42C3906FE&link=4
Not that hard to believe, West has beaten Mason pretty convincingly every time they’ve matched up this season. I’m not sure they have enough to beat X but it should be interesting to see what happens at the state meet with a bigger field of top teams. I wouldn’t look for Mason to repeat their performance from last year’s state meet, this is one of their weaker teams.

GCL - What jumps out at me is how far the Lancers have fallen. I feel for Lancermania's alma mater, but when an admin unceremoniously ousts a wildly successful coach on a whim, this is what you get. They sowed the seeds of their own demise. Who knows when they will be good again.

GGCL - What's happened to Ursuline? New coaching?

GMC - As with the GCL, Colerain's mighty fall to next-to-last jumps out at me. Gone are the years of Ken Meibers' influence. I feel for the Russo's alma mater.

Not that hard to believe, West has beaten Mason pretty convincingly every time they’ve matched up this season. I’m not sure they have enough to beat X but it should be interesting to see what happens at the state meet with a bigger field of top teams. I wouldn’t look for Mason to repeat their performance from last year’s state meet, this is one of their weaker teams.

Could be West’s year - they certainly have the experience (6 seniors, 1 junior in their top 7). I agree that Mason is not as strong this year, but they’re young (1 freshman, 1 sophomore, 3 juniors in their top 5 yesterday).

I heard from what I consider a reliable source that Ursuline's top varsity team, except No. 1 runner, is out due to covid exposure and did not run at GGCL. Evidently No. 1 was injured and was not around the exposed person or persons.They were a bubble team as far as qualifying to regionals. Most likely quarantine will not end before district meet.

I heard from what I consider a reliable source that Ursuline's top varsity team, except No. 1 runner, is out due to covid exposure and did not run at GGCL. Evidently No. 1 was injured and was not around the exposed person or persons.They were a bubble team as far as qualifying to regionals. Most likely quarantine will not end before district meet.

Thank you for the info. Sorry to hear of their misfortune. Undoubtedly, this is also the fate of many other teams throughout the state and country.

West has had an incredible season. I was hesitant to jump on the bandwagon after the Moeller win to start the year, but they've only looked better and better as the season has gone along. I'd agree that they look like the second best team in the state right now. I keep waiting for Tom Rapp at Mason to work his magic and all of a sudden have five 16:00 kids like they do in many years, but so far it hasn't happened.

If state happened today, I think X wins and West is second. Hilliard third, kenston and Mason battle for fourth.

A lot can change in the next three weeks.

Kenston is a serious contender but they'll get overlooked. Teams coming out of the NE Ohio/Boardman regional are often overlooked because of too much attention being paid to times. The regional course at Boardman is the slowest of the 4 and the district courses that feed that region also tend to be somewhat slower.

GCL - What jumps out at me is how far the Lancers have fallen. I feel for Lancermania's alma mater, but when an admin unceremoniously ousts a wildly successful coach on a whim, this is what you get. They sowed the seeds of their own demise. Who knows when they will be good again.
Since LaSalle learned how to build a football team I doubt anyone there even thinks about cross country.

West has had an incredible season. I was hesitant to jump on the bandwagon after the Moeller win to start the year, but they've only looked better and better as the season has gone along. I'd agree that they look like the second best team in the state right now. I keep waiting for Tom Rapp at Mason to work his magic and all of a sudden have five 16:00 kids like they do in many years, but so far it hasn't happened.

If state happened today, I think X wins and West is second. Hilliard third, kenston and Mason battle for fourth.

A lot can change in the next three weeks.
I think X is the clear favorite but after that it’s anyone’s guess. The tri and quad meets make it hard to predict how teams will fare when they’re lining up against 19 other top teams in the state. I wouldn’t be shocked if Mason finishes outside the top 5 though, they’re a year away.

Kenston now has two 1st place votes in the most recent OATCCC poll.

I just, very breifly, looked over their times and results. They certainly don’t have the impressive times that other teams do (I think we all know better about a few of those times from teams “ahead” of them...) but solid wins over Woodridge, Louisville, Solon, and Ignatius just to name a few.

Just curious what other reasons people think this Kenston team could win it all, as I have not given them the attention they deserve this season.

Kenston now has two 1st place votes in the most recent OATCCC poll.

I just, very breifly, looked over their times and results. They certainly don’t have the impressive times that other teams do (I think we all know better about a few of those times from teams “ahead” of them...) but solid wins over Woodridge, Louisville, Solon, and Ignatius just to name a few.

Just curious what other reasons people think this Kenston team could win it all, as I have not given them the attention they deserve this season.

I usually use the previous seasons 1600 and 3200 times as a predictor to see how to compare a team. These are more comparable than XC times.
Obviously, this is flawed too many extents, but it gives you a better picture. On paper, I would never think that Turk would be their #2 man in XC because he has the slowest track times. But there are many variables on improvement and possible injuries in track or other sports that this does not take into account for with XC comparables.

Kenston
Princic 9:48, 4:31
Turk- 10:30, 4:50
McConnell- 10:00, 4:41
Bertman- 10:07, 4:43
Hunt- 10:15, 4:40
Orlowski- 10:34
McMahan- 4:37

St. Xavier
Mountain- 9:25, 4:23
Bohrer- 9:27, 4:30
Foster- 10:34, 4:42- was 33rd in the state at 2019 XC meet
Sams- just a sophomore- big breakout year
Goodrich- 10:59, 4:56
Krych- 17:10 guy last year- nothing in track
Steiger- 4:42 in 1600

*on paper I would say Kenston looks a lot better especially since their #7 guy is a 4:37 miler.
I would also say St. Xavier has a reputation in XC and an expectation at the state meet.
But yes Kenston is a state contender. And yes Lakota West is a state contender.

After today's races at VOA, I think Lakota West has a very legitimate shot at a state championship. In separate races minutes apart:

ST X 14:55.3, 15:27.1, 16:05.9, 16:06.0, 16:18.0, 16:18.4,16:30

Lak W 15:25.1, 15:31.2, 15:32.6 15:49.9,16:18.0, 16:37.8, 16:51.3

After today's races at VOA, I think Lakota West has a very legitimate shot at a state championship. In separate races minutes apart:

Agree. They looked great today, the next two weeks should be fun!

I’d give West the edge after today, but man, it’l be tight.

I’d also say I’d be pretty surprised if it’s not X and West on the podium at State.

Hilliard Davidson wins their District easily.

Beavercreek looked great as well winning theirs.

Mason was crushed by West much like last week.

Kenston looses to St. Ignatius narrowly, that was a surprise to me.

How many scorers will be between St. X number 1 and West’s number1?

Wow. Lakota West is on fire. A fourth man at 15:49 means they are a legit threat to capture the state title. Based purely on district results, I'd even call them the favorite. Everybody knew Cronk and Beneteau would be legit low sticks. With Martin and Plotkin joining the front running party, they have some serious weapons.

It will be an interesting and tight matchup these next couple of weeks. Lakota West has the hot hand and seemingly the depth at 3/4. St. Xavier has the experience, a head-to-head win earlier in the year, and the probable individual state champ (or runner-up if Nathan Moore pulls away).

Keep in mind programs like St. Xavier seem to peak so well at the state meet is partially because they know how to downplay a conference, district, or regional meet. Whichever they choose with their personnel and team. State and for many nationals, both qualifying and the championship need great focus. It is really hard to be super sharp for 5 to 7 weeks in a row. I think that is why you see many teams pop something big to get to state then struggle at the state meet. Many chalk it up to nerves but trying to be sharp too many weeks in a row also figures into this. Although I had some good teams, I had very few in which I could downplay any bigger meet. Most don't. But that is probably the reason Centerville girls did not run their varsity at district last year. Lakota has not been a recent year-in and year-out power like St. X so might be going after district and every meet whole-hog. They 'might' be so talented it won't matter or they might be approaching all the meets in a way that is best for their personnel. Experience has taught me St. X will be in the best postion to be at their best at state while somewhat "going through the motions" now. It is fun to see such close teams on paper with Hilliard, Kenton, and a few others joining in as well.