Recruiting in high school football

well parents think their kids are better than they actually are. If your good enough, with the media these days , you will be found regardless of where you play.
Not if the coaches aren’t doing anything to get the kid looks. Sure the 4 or 5 * kids will be found but there are a lot of kids on the roster who might not think they can get money to play football and won’t without the coaches help.
So last year 2 kids from another Stark Co school came to Massillon for a tour, both kids parents said it was because the current coach wasn’t doing anything for them to get noticed by colleges.

How about this scenario? A high school recruits a Senior QB to come and play his Senior season at a better program. This coach has another Sophomore QB that is pretty good and has been putting in work with the WR all summer. Both QBs play week 1. During week 1, another Senior QB transfers in and starts week 2 and continues to start for the remainder of the season which is now over. I call BS on this.
Purely hypothetical right.... ?

Toledo CC has 7 kids with DI offers entering this season (and there are more DI guys on team) and the have 220 boys grades 10-12. That is an outlier on the graph that screams recruitment. Using vouchers as scholarships is criminal.

Do you penalize school or Coach/administration? If football gets shut down, what about boys in district that can't transfer.
I here college scholarships are earned at college football camps? How does one go about going to these camps? You must be invited, or you go and seek and pay money for your son to showcase their skills?

Do you penalize school or Coach/administration? If football gets shut down, what about boys in district that can't transfer.
I here college scholarships are earned at college football camps? How does one go about going to these camps? You must be invited, or you go and seek and pay money for your son to showcase their skills?
99% of college football programs have summer camps. They start in May and run through mid July. Most of them are open to whoever shows up and usually cost ~$50. Most of the camps have combine type events to get your measurables then they breakout into position specific drills. It is important that your athlete shows up in shape and prepares ahead of time. Don’t go in cold. They are looking for speed, athleticism and most importantly competitiveness. Make sure they look at the coach when the coach is talking to them and say yes sir. Lastly, not all campers are the same. Often times the coaches have invited players to the camp and they will get most of the attention. Don’t worry, this is your athletes opportunity to get on the radar and learn something. Recruiting is a process with several components least of which is Friday nights.

Address the total situation where parochials draw from multiple school districts.

Some privates enrollment keeps them in divisions where their talent gives them a overwhelming advantage.

On the other side, publics use open enrollment to be competitive with all-star teams in their division.

It's easy to determine which teams have an uneven playing field. The ONLY solution would seem to be seeding teams according to their talent.

As big of a joke is allowing coaches to vote for seeds at tournament time.

When coaches like Massillon Perry's Wakefield, can manipulate the seeding, by voting a top seeded team at the bottom, the commissioner needs to step in and correct the problem and sanction the coach.

He voted his conscience. Enough said.
I completely understand why Wakefield votes the way he did, and it worked out just the way he wanted it to. Now, having said that, what do you think public perception would have been had Nate Moore cast a ballot like that, where he obviously slighted, not only a team, but a local team.
Do you honestly believe that people would just brush it aside with "he voted his conscience"?

So being loyal does not factor in? It is high school football for Pete’s sake. Money cannot be the issue. It is usually ego.
Sorry to disagree BUT Stark County is different where all of our coaches are analyzed over and over as if they were coaching a professional team. Is is right to do this ? Since I have grown up here and other than college, lived here my whole life, I have no problem with it as that is what I have known, it is also what makes our County different from many of the others.

Yes I agree . I have seen kids transfer because their Dad felt disrespected because their Freshman basketball playing son wasn't getting enough playing time as a FRESHMAN and wasn't being coddled , so the parents ego took the blow to the head and said 'we are out of here some we are going to a place that has better players and a better team and 'I " ERRRR 'You " will get your due respect and We will show them !!!dammmit lol .

Seen this happen twice . This also falls under the parent may overrate little Ethan or Johnny . Both kids had talent and can play or they wouldn't have been a Varsity /JV player or mostly varsity player as a Freshman { Or in some cases I have seen Juniors leave after Daddy wants better players around their star so they can chase a ring } . Basketball is getting even deeper into the AAU mentality in fact it's AAU teammates that often want to play with their teammates year round that makes family's pick and move which I find a bit much . But it's here to stay and widely embraced by most now as the new normal .
Parents living thru their kids is exactly one of the major problems in all of this as well as their false bravado and ego.

He voted his conscience. Enough said.
Love ya Perry BUT deep down he knows what he did and he will have that on his old 71 yr old soul. I am glad that someone who is half his age acted more like an adult when he voted for Keith's team when he could have done the same thing. At last HE was doing the right thing even though it ended up burning him in the long run. Oh well it doesn't matter as fans cannot go to the game anyway. As far as I am concerned, kids should be able to go where they will excel the best. Some schools are better in one sport than another.

perry14 said:
well then it should be done within the rules.
If a school district will accept my child, and we believe that school is the best fit for that child (for the reasons we as his parents decide), he/she should be able to take advantage of ALL opportunities that school has to offer. ALL of them. That's what the rules should be.
with in the rules. That's all the guy said. You're not advocating a parent should get to ignore the rules to their personal desires, correct? I'm not aware of a public district that has a different set of rules based upon where a kid comes from. Are you? I'm not aware even of a private school that has different rules for whomever they enroll.

As for OHSAA, it's a club. Yes, they can make those rules. As an organization advocating certain standards of behavior and ethics, those rules should have limits on what a participating member can do. They're trying to hold a standard. You're not advocating they have low standards are you? If a member doesn't like it, they can go elsewhere. OHSAA does nothing to inhibit another similar organization from forming. There are plenty of these sports factories/educational facilities.

Aren't you tilting at windmills a bit here? A parent doesn't like the system, they can try to change it or leave. Someone violates, there should be accountability.

A parent can take their kid somewhere the rules are to their satisfaction. If that place doesn't exist, then the problem probably lies with the parent.

Last edited:
You can if you had a kid who has been in your system since grade school and his senior season some stud player moves in because he wants headlines and this kid who grew up in your community and was a loyal participant gets pushed aside. I don’t feel that is right. The transfer should have restrictions that are enforced to protect kids that I am talking about. Ther should be loyalty both ways but I know that is not how the world works these days. Just not right.

You're an engineer that has been working on a project for 3 years and when it's getting ready for completion, the company brings in the lead engineer from the competition. He looks at your project and within 2 weeks, makes some changes and gets it completed. It's better than it ever could have been, and you know it too. It's just better. He gets the primary credit and the bonus.

What do you do? Cry "that's not right?" Want "restrictions" on his bonus? Or, do you understand that the company has an interest in having the best product? And, then work harder to make advances and make the next project even better. I hope you don't cry and then leave the company without a plan in place because "they don't appreciate me?" and end up with no income as your family struggles. All because you can't handle someone being better. The world owes you nothing.

If you have never learned to deal with adversity and disappointment - you'll never be able to handle adversity and disappointment.

Life is not fair. Once you understand that, life becomes easy

Last edited:
with in the rules. That's all the guy said. You're not advocating a parent should get to ignore the rules to their personal desires, correct? I'm not aware of a public district that has a different set of rules based upon where a kid comes from. Are you? I'm not aware even of a private school that has different rules for whomever they enroll. Aren't you tilting at windmills a bit here?

A parent can take their kid somewhere the rules are to their satisfaction. If that place doesn't exist, then the problem probably lies with the parent.
I'm advocating that the rules should be slanted heavily toward parents and their student being able to choose to go to any school that will accept the student for any reason they choose, even if a big reason is (gasp!) sports. This to me is far more important than whether such freedom might reduce the chance that someone else might, might have a lesser chance of winning a f___ing trophy. If my son was hugely into music, and a nearby open enrollment or private school has an outstanding program in that, no one would care. It really isn't any different to those looking at the activities for the right reasons.