Recruiting in high school football

Highshfan

How does four division one recruits if not more end up on one team in high school? Most local public high schools are lucky to have one or two division one recruits if any at all. I know this is a sore subject for some, but it something to ponder. I believe that recruiting takes place at every level of high school football and has gotten progressively more aggressive. Should a high school kid be able to transfer between multiple schools until he has found one, he likes? Is it fair? Will high school football eventually take the form of the college recruiting process? Should there be a penalty for transferring? I know some transfer in hopes of getting more visibility as it relates to college recruiting. Some transfer for better educational opportunities. Some just transfer until they get what they want. Please share your thoughts and ideas.

Yes it does. Yes he can. No, can't stop parents. Put some rules in play. Its a free country if they (kids and parents) are playing by the rules put in place.

How does four division one recruits if not more end up on one team in high school? Most local public high schools are lucky to have one or two division one recruits if any at all. I know this is a sore subject for some, but it something to ponder. I believe that recruiting takes place at every level of high school football and has gotten progressively more aggressive. Should a high school kid be able to transfer between multiple schools until he has found one, he likes? Is it fair? Will high school football eventually take the form of the college recruiting process? Should there be a penalty for transferring? I know some transfer in hopes of getting more visibility as it relates to college recruiting. Some transfer for better educational opportunities. Some just transfer until they get what they want. Please share your thoughts and ideas.
The coach has some good athletes with size and skills and then he develops them? Sounds like somebody's team got beat by better players.

Personally, I never wanted to go play for some place else in HS. When they threatened to not have football if the emergency level didnt pass I still was not going to do so.
Luckily, around my area, kids are too proud to transfer and play sports some place else. There is OE and kids use that, but very very few of those actually play sport.

You're never going to stop it. Every time OHSAA takes a hard stance they eventually back down. Any parent with half a brain can figure out a way to get around it. They need to adopt hard and fast rules without exceptions or just give up the fight and let the chips fall where they may.

The biggest question we need to have answered first...are you ok with your school getting transfers for athletic reasons ? ?

PC has about 10-12 potential D1 Prospects on their roster. Only one of them transferred in. They have had 2-3 additional D1 prospects transfer out. There are several factors driving this number but annual transfers isn’t one of them. That is typically the excuse people like to make after they lose.
I call BS on this 10-12 D1 college football players on one team better be competing for a SC. I come from a large school that hasn't had 10-12 in the past 20 years.

The biggest question we need to have answered first...are you ok with your school getting transfers for athletic reasons ? ?
To be honest, I am not the biggest fan of it, but it is what it is. I cannot fault a kid/parent for trying to improve their situations. For some kid’s football provide structure and an avenue to make a future living if they are good enough to make it beyond college. How can you blame a kid for wanting to play at a high school like Massillon that has such a rich history and tradition and provide a high level of exposure for those seeking to play at the next level.

To be honest, I am not the biggest fan of it, but it is what it is. I cannot fault a kid/parent for trying to improve their situations. For some kid’s football provide structure and an avenue to make a future living if they are good enough to make it beyond college. How can you blame a kid for wanting to play at a high school like Massillon that has such a rich history and tradition and provide a high level of exposure for those seeking to play at the next level.
How can you blame a kid/parents for wanting to play wherever they want to play, in whatever sport for whatever reason ?

I call BS on this 10-12 D1 college football players on one team better be competing for a SC. I come from a large school that hasn't had 10-12 in the past 20 years.
Heck, Cleveland Glenville had teams in the mid 2000s who were absolutely loaded with D1 guys but could never win it. Can't just throw athletes out there and expect to win without some coaching involved.

Just about every season Pick Central has 3-4 guys with D1 offers. This year is the most I can remember.

Class of 2021:
- Lorenzo Styles (WR/DB) committed to Notre Dame
- Garner Wallace (QB/DB) committed to Northwestern
- Nick Mosley (RB) committed to Bowling Green
- AJ Sanders (DB/WR) committed to Eastern Illinois

Class of 2022:
- CJ Doggette (DL) offers from Michigan State, Pitt, WVU, Kentucky, Cincinnati, Rutgers, most MAC schools
- Tyler Gillison (TE/DE/LB) offers from Cincinnati, Toledo, Akron, Kent State, Bowling Green, etc.
- Kyle Imboden (OL/DL) offers from Cincinnati, Akron, Liberty, etc.
- Dakari Frazier (DE) offers from Akron, Toledo, Kent State, Bowling Green, etc.
- Kobe Asamoah (OL/DL) offers from Rutgers, Akron Bowling Green, Kent State, Buffalo,

Class of 2023:
- Alex "Sonny" Styles (DB) offers from Ohio State, Notre Dame, Indiana, Toledo
- Kobi Gorman (TE/DE/LB) offers from Indiana and Toledo

There are another 7-8 seniors who have D2, NAIA, and/or D3 offers or interest right now. And a handful of underclassmen who have potential to get offers in the not too distant future.

Its not hard to figure out that they do. Just look it up.

Its a tough subject for sure. My opinion is this is HS not college. Some schools need the transfers so they can be relevant year after year (there are very few publics that can do this, talent cycles just aren't always there). Then beat up on schools that the kids choose HS football for playing for their community and with their friends. On the other hand you have privates (Hoban) that quickly figured out the advantage given to them and it really puts publics that don't get these "transfers" behind the eight ball. Back in the late 80's there was a kid that played football for his local school friends (won a SC) then transferred to a neighboring school to wrestle (I believe they won a team SC), then transferred back to graduate with his friends.

How can you blame a kid/parents for wanting to play wherever they want to play, in whatever sport for whatever reason ?
You can if you had a kid who has been in your system since grade school and his senior season some stud player moves in because he wants headlines and this kid who grew up in your community and was a loyal participant gets pushed aside. I don’t feel that is right. The transfer should have restrictions that are enforced to protect kids that I am talking about. Ther should be loyalty both ways but I know that is not how the world works these days. Just not right.

You can if you had a kid who has been in your system since grade school and his senior season some stud player moves in because he wants headlines and this kid who grew up in your community and was a loyal participant gets pushed aside. I don’t feel that is right. The transfer should have restrictions that are enforced to protect kids that I am talking about. Ther should be loyalty both ways but I know that is not how the world works these days. Just not right.
Serious question....do YOU get mad when it happens to the Perry wrestlers?

Isn’t it the coaches job to put the best players on the field. Say whatever you want but especially in Stark Co football coaches are getting paid to win football games.

Isn’t it the coaches job to put the best players on the field. Say whatever you want but especially in Stark Co football coaches are getting paid to win football games.
So being loyal does not factor in? It is high school football for Pete’s sake. Money cannot be the issue. It is usually ego.

well parents think their kids are better than they actually are. If your good enough, with the media these days , you will be found regardless of where you play.
Yes I agree . I have seen kids transfer because their Dad felt disrespected because their Freshman basketball playing son wasn't getting enough playing time as a FRESHMAN and wasn't being coddled , so the parents ego took the blow to the head and said 'we are out of here some we are going to a place that has better players and a better team and 'I " ERRRR 'You " will get your due respect and We will show them !!!dammmit lol .

Seen this happen twice . This also falls under the parent may overrate little Ethan or Johnny . Both kids had talent and can play or they wouldn't have been a Varsity /JV player or mostly varsity player as a Freshman { Or in some cases I have seen Juniors leave after Daddy wants better players around their star so they can chase a ring } . Basketball is getting even deeper into the AAU mentality in fact it's AAU teammates that often want to play with their teammates year round that makes family's pick and move which I find a bit much . But it's here to stay and widely embraced by most now as the new normal .

How about this scenario? A high school recruits a Senior QB to come and play his Senior season at a better program. This coach has another Sophomore QB that is pretty good and has been putting in work with the WR all summer. Both QBs play week 1. During week 1, another Senior QB transfers in and starts week 2 and continues to start for the remainder of the season which is now over. I call BS on this.

Absolutely. It’s wrong across the board. I never support transfers for athletics. Not a valid reason to transfer.

Just out of curiosity, why not? If you play a sport and you love your sport but your school decided to put zero effort into the sport you love why wouldn't you go somewhere where your sport is valued and have a better experience? If a school is losing kids through transfer then the school needs to ask themselves why kids are leaving.