Has Anyone Tried to Buy Ammo Lately?

Purplemojo

I am missing out on a lot of range time as I do not want to burn up ammo that I cannot replace. My go to source is AIM Surplus in Monroe. I just bought some 30-6 but they are absolutely out of all handgun ammo. I have been trying to buy some 9X18 Makarov for six months now.

What does the increased purchase of ammo say about our society at this time? Is it COVID, the riots, the possibility of a Biden gun grab?

I am missing out on a lot of range time as I do not want to burn up ammo that I cannot replace. My go to source is AIM Surplus in Monroe. I just bought some 30-6 but they are absolutely out of all handgun ammo. I have been trying to buy some 9X18 Makarov for six months now.

What does the increased purchase of ammo say about our society at this time? Is it COVID, the riots, the possibility of a Biden gun grab?
In order:
Riots.

Covid
Biden.

We are just getting ready for Antifa and sBLM to make good on their promise and come out to the sticks to riot and take over.

May God have mercy on their souls, as they rot in hell, if they try......

Five million new first time gun owners buying up handgun ammo.

What did you pay per round for your 30-06?

I can't find anything in the 180 grain range for under $1.25 per round. My neighbor will reload my spent rounds for me but the guy is 97 years old and I flinch everytime I pull the trigger wondering just how accurate he has done his job?

Posted this in another thread but yes. Bought 9mm ammo a few weeks ago from my go to online supplier based out of TX. Normally they were a touch cheaper than buying in local stores. It was $1.10/round so I only purchased 50 rounds. A smaller, less known range I frequent always has a ridiculous amount on hand, but he is limiting it to 200 rounds per person until he is able to get more in. He more than doubled his price and it was $0.45/round. He told me it was initially COVID then the riots made it significantly worse.

I work with a variety of national Sporting Goods retailers and one of them told me pricing ammo is like pricing gas. While most people are fixated on the single cost of oil and its relationship to gas price there is a lot more to it then that, same with ammo. The love a run on ammo, the $s are good but not great because it is a commodity; what it does do is gets folks into the store during usually slow times of the year.

Almost fell out of my chair. High comedy. Well done sir.

I was at Fin, Feather, and Fur in Milan yesterday. The only 9mm they had was Blazer. I bought a box of 50 for $22 to run through the Ruger SR9 that I bought. (I've had the compact version for several years.) We were heading toward our son's to help cut down a small tree and he has some targets set up on his 13 acres.

Hand guns and chain saws, a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

I grabbed some .40 Federal Personal Defense at a Point Blank a couple weekends ago for my M&P Shield PC. $23 + tax for a box of 20.
9, .223, 5.56 gone, like most of the inventory of handguns. I've noticed a higher number of minority folks buying guns and range time.
Haven't made judgement on what that means, just an observation.

I grabbed some .40 Federal Personal Defense at a Point Blank a couple weekends ago for my M&P Shield PC. $23 + tax for a box of 20.
9, .223, 5.56 gone, like most of the inventory of handguns. I've noticed a higher number of minority folks buying guns and range time.
Self-protection. Just the same as you, only some of them may be even closer to the idiots.

I've noticed a higher number of minority folks buying guns and range time.
That is good news. The more good people buy firearms, the more people motivated to vote in a way to protect their 2nd amendment rights.

I went to the range today with my eldest son for his birthday. The guy at Shoot Point Blank Western Cincinnati, asked before he signed us in, if we had any ammo, as they had none for us to buy. I told him we brought our own and got a lane right away. We went through 150 rounds of 9mm and 32 rounds of .25 (shooting my father's old pocket pistol for the sake of nostalgia). It was a fun outing but a little painful to go through my inventory of 9mm. I only have a few hundred rounds left.

After shooting, we walked through the shop which appeared to be full of first time gun buyers, mostly husband and wives. When we got to the ammo we found that nearly all of the handgun ammo was sold out, except for some .32. Popular rifle ammo was also sold out. There was plenty of shotgun shells but that is it.

It amazes me that they are still selling firearms when they have no ammo to put through them. That is why I have a hunch they are holding some ammo back for customers who are buying new firearms.

I do not see an end to the shortage any time soon. Especially if Biden is elected. We all know that he played second fiddle to the greatest firearm salesman since Bartolomeo Beretta went into business in the 15th century, Barak Obama.

I went to the range today with my eldest son for his birthday. The guy at Shoot Point Blank Western Cincinnati, asked before he signed us in, if we had any ammo, as they had none for us to buy. I told him we brought our own and got a lane right away. We went through 150 rounds of 9mm and 32 rounds of .25 (shooting my father's old pocket pistol for the sake of nostalgia). It was a fun outing but a little painful to go through my inventory of 9mm. I only have a few hundred rounds left.

After shooting, we walked through the shop which appeared to be full of first time gun buyers, mostly husband and wives. When we got to the ammo we found that nearly all of the handgun ammo was sold out, except for some .32. Popular rifle ammo was also sold out. There was plenty of shotgun shells but that is it.

It amazes me that they are still selling firearms when they have no ammo to put through them. That is why I have a hunch they are holding some ammo back for customers who are buying new firearms.

I do not see an end to the shortage any time soon. Especially if Biden is elected. We all know that he played second fiddle to the greatest firearm salesman since Bartolomeo Beretta went into business in the 15th century, Barak Obama.

Range near me will only sell you ammo (other than 22) if you buy a gun.

So, I saw Cheaperthandirt had .25 auto in stock and, as I just shot some with my son, I ordered a box of 50 rounds. I just got my order and opened it to find 300 rounds of .22lr instead. I just called them and they are going to fix it but its kind of frustrating.

A lot of small gun shops in NW Ohio are still placing limits on the lower priced ammo or allowing extra boxes if you buy a gun. Supplies are definitely on the rise and gun store owners are at least more optimistic about getting more ammo and guns in stock whereas 3-4 months ago they would scoff if you asked about getting restocked anytime soon.

how'd you run out in the first place?
I my case? Naivete. I didn't count on the perfect storm of the election, corona and the riots all hitting at once. I had stocked up on rifle ammo because I bought gobs of it cheap from CMP back when they still had all of the old Greek military ammo. Plus I do not shoot 30-6 very often and that is what my M1 and M1917 both take. I did stock up on .223/5.56 when I received 500 rounds for a fee that a client couldn't otherwise pay. That together with 1000 rounds I already had set me up for my wife's and my ARs. My Dad's old .25 I only shoot for nostalgia so I do not stock up much in that caliber (plus its expensive as all get out). That leaves me with other hand gun rounds. I've got plenty of 9MM for my M9/92FS but where I fell short was 380 for my wife's CCW weapon and short 9 for my Makarov, which will be my CCW when I get my license. Also, for home defense, I bought a Mossberg 500 tactical on the last day Richards (Yappi won't show the real name of the store for some odd reason) was in the firearm business and got it for about half price. I loaded up on 12 gauge when I bought it so I have plenty there.

I have 50 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense for my Makarov and, believe it or not, 50 rounds of the same for my Dad's .25. I guess if I needed to use it for self defense, the .25 in a hollow point is better that FMJ. So, I will not even touch the Critical Defense stuff. Saving it for a rainy day I guess.

Last edited:
Man, just read this thread and checked out budguns online. They are out of everything except 9mm. Glad I stocked up after the last run in 2008. Going to be awhile before you see things change if Biden wins. Couldn’t believe the price of guns either ?

eastisbest said:
how'd you run out in the first place?
I my case? Naivete. I didn't count on the perfect storm of the election, corona and the riots all hitting at once. ,,

That read more like the guy thinks his dick gets bigger because they own a bunch of guns. lol. I see why you bought the ammo but not how you ran out? You were shooting rioters? Rioters stole it? Ammo got a disease? You'd think that'd make the news.

That read more like the guy thinks his gets bigger because they own a bunch of guns. lol. I see why you bought the ammo but not how you ran out? You were shooting rioters? Rioters stole it? Ammo got a disease? You'd think that'd make the news.
Well. I am a collector, sportsman and enthusiast, with a keen interest in history, especially British and American constitutional and military history. I participate in the shooting sports as well as team and individual sports. As a collector, I have a helmet and a long arm for every US war going back more than 100 years and I would like, eventually to go all the way back to the Revolution in my collection.

I am very comfortable with my manhood and don't need symbols or activities to reinforce it. That appears to be something with which you have an issue. Get a girlfriend, that may help you with that issue.

Last edited:
Well. I am a collector, sportsman and enthusiast, with a keen interest in history, especially British and American constitutional and military history. I participate in the shooting sports as well as team and individual sports. As a collector, I have a helmet and a long arm for every US war going back more than 100 years and I would like, eventually to go all the way back to the Revolution in my collection.

I am very comfortable with my manhood and don't need symbols or activities to reinforce it. That appears to be something with which you have an issue. Get a girlfriend, that may help you with that issue.
My girlfriend says I don't need a gun to impress her, thanks for the advice anyhow.

I'm simply asking, what happened to all the ammo, not for a description of the collection. Thread title. Lots of people collect things, I'm not being critical mr sensitive.

That read more like the guy thinks his gets bigger because they own a bunch of guns. lol. I see why you bought the ammo but not how you ran out? You were shooting rioters? Rioters stole it? Ammo got a disease? You'd think that'd make the news.
Weird question to focus on. I have talked about going to the range to shoot. You do understand that a round is a one time use item. So, obviously, if I go to the range to shoot, I use up ammo. I also was away this weekend camping and trap shooting. Again, using up ammo. I hope you understand now. Round goes in the chamber. Gun goes BOOM. Bullitt goes down range. Casing ejects. Round is used up. Does that help?