How does the MAC do it?

They worked long hard hours on a farm and found time to build beautiful churches in their "spare" time. My German Catholic great-grandfathers arrived in the 1860s and built this (sadly now desanctified) church in west Baltimore, Maryland, and it would fit in just fine in west central Ohio. It's cultural.
View attachment 10833

Yes, German Catholics built some beautiful churches. My parish in Canton is an historic German Catholic parish that is the crown jewel of the entire Diocese of Youngstown and one of the most beautiful churches in the entire state of Ohio. I know MAC Country has some gorgeous Catholic churches as well.

St. Peter Church Canton, Ohio:

10947217_905091462856288_5933465144120461361_n.jpg
299801_269871616378279_341801315_n.jpg
293567_269872106378230_1212800813_n.jpg
90909935_3096339173731495_7109019414388801536_o.jpg

If you are living on a farm, you have a job. The cows and hogs don't care if you play sports, they have to be fed and cared for. You do your chores real early in the morning and probably in the dark when you got home. Saturdays were catch up days. When got home, you ate, did your homework and went to bed. When you go to school, work and play sports you have to have your act together. If the only thing you have to worry about is school and sports, you have it easy.

The majority of kids playing sports on MAC teams are not from farms. I would even guys to say less than 25%

Very few MAC schools have wrestling. I believe Delphos St. John's, Parkway, Coldwater, and Versailles are the only ones that do.

Brings up another point, MAC schools and communities are smart enough to stick to what they're good at and focus all of their efforts on those things. For the boys those things are football, basketball, and baseball. Very few MAC teams have overly-successful boys programs in any other sports. Girls are great at volleyball, cross country, and basketball. They don't produce half programs in every sport they could field just to make every parent in the area happy. Every small school in the state should take note of it.

The MAC does have success in other boys sports, maybe not as consistently as boys football or baseball but there are several MAC schools who are very good/competitive in the regional and state in Boys CC, Boys Golf and I believe both Coldwater and Versailles have won boys State Bowling Titles, so to say they are not successful in other boys programs would be false.

From the Dayton Daily News:
MAC Winning Formula
Good read. It’s interesting to see what the coaches had to say. They definitely have a recipe for success out there. I don’t think a lot of people realize just how good that conference is and how long it has been. It’s truly a remarkable feat. I wonder if there is another conference in the country that has ever had 3 of its teams playing for state titles? My guess would be no...and did all 3 teams win that year? Wouldn’t surprise me

The majority of kids playing sports on MAC teams are not from farms. I would even guys to say less than 25%
I agree, not near as many farm boys as 30 or 40 years ago; but what I think you still have is the ‘farm’ mentality. Hard work, up early, pride in what you do, help your neighbor, etc. This is because parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles were farmers and that behavior doesn’t just go away, and it is passed down generationally in this area. My son played multiple sports throughout school, worked and was on the honor roll, and he wasn’t an exception.

I agree, not near as many farm boys as 30 or 40 years ago; but what I think you still have is the ‘farm’ mentality. Hard work, up early, pride in what you do, help your neighbor, etc. This is because parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles were farmers and that behavior doesn’t just go away, and it is passed down generationally in this area. My son played multiple sports throughout school, worked and was on the honor roll, and he wasn’t an exception.
Exactly. If you want any thing in life, you have to work for it. Too many kids and adults expect every thing to be given to them. When I was younger, paying jobs were scarce, now many places are begging for workers.

Good read. It’s interesting to see what the coaches had to say. They definitely have a recipe for success out there. I don’t think a lot of people realize just how good that conference is and how long it has been. It’s truly a remarkable feat. I wonder if there is another conference in the country that has ever had 3 of its teams playing for state titles? My guess would be no...and did all 3 teams win that year? Wouldn’t surprise me
The MAC has had the trifecta once, and failed a couple times and only took home two.
The daily double? That has happened multiple years

I dont know about other MACSTERs, but i generally get extremely excited for other league foes win titles, and root for them damned near as much as I do my alma mater. Many places give lip service of support, or flat out root against their rivals.

Speaking of the MAC, I just read that DSJ had to forfeit their game vs LCC due to coronavirus concerns. Dang. That's not good for the league. Marion Local just played those guys.

2 weeks ago.
13 days. The question is, did the DSJ player(s) have Covid-19 during that game? My Cubs had 3 starters held out after contact with a C-19 positive player from Lexington. If everyone is being tested, I'm sure the Flyers will be fine, but you never know.

13 days. The question is, did the DSJ player(s) have Covid-19 during that game? My Cubs had 3 starters held out after contact with a C-19 positive player from Lexington. If everyone is being tested, I'm sure the Flyers will be fine, but you never know.
I am sure you are hoping the Flyers will be kicked out of the playoffs by RINO Mike. Keep rooting. Plus as many people who have had the bat virus in Southern Mercer county, I am sure ML football team has herd immunity by now.

I am sure you are hoping the Flyers will be kicked out of the playoffs by RINO Mike. Keep rooting.
And there it is! I knew that was coming. SMH. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Good Lord. Really? You really think I want HS kids to get Covid? Also, screw DeWHINE, I am no fan of his.

Is it just me, or does it seem that every team who is forfeiting playoffs games due to Covid were likely to lose by a wide margin in the game anyway?

Whatever. SMH. What the hell is wrong with you?
He is right.
I imagine many kids, and adults, have had it and since it is pretty much harmless for young, healthy folks most just chalk it up to normal flu, that is if they even had symptons

Whatever. SMH. What the hell is wrong with you?
I am just stating what is probably a fact. If you have not noticed Mercer County has been no.1 in covid all summer, so I would say many High Schoolers in Southern Mercer Co. already have been exposed to Covid. Plus I am not the one pointing that ML played DSJ 2 weeks ago and you correlate that with several cubbies being quarantined for 2 weeks, sounds like sour grapes. Plus IMO covid is no big deal esp. to H.S. kids. or to 99.1 % of the pop.

I am just stating what is probably a fact. If you have not noticed Mercer County has been no.1 in covid all summer, so I would say many High Schoolers in Southern Mercer Co. already have been exposed to Covid. Plus I am not the one pointing that ML played DSJ 2 weeks ago and you correlate that with several cubbies being quarantined for 2 weeks, sounds like sour grapes. Plus IMO covid is no big deal esp. to H.S. kids. or to 99.1 % of the pop.
We're #1.
We're #1.
We're #1.

In all seriousness though, CW played Wapak in JV last Saturday. Also, a teahcer and stupid popped hot according to a press release today.
How long before Dictator DeWine and his goon squad insist they shut down the football program?

We're #1.
We're #1.
We're #1.

In all seriousness though, CW played Wapak in JV last Saturday. Also, a teahcer and stupid popped hot according to a press release today.
How long before Dictator DeWine and his goon squad insist they shut down the football program?
Student? Might have been the word you were looking for, but you accidentally used a synonym.

You guys have completely missed the point. I said "what the hell is wrong with you" because he accused me of wanting the Marion local kids to get Covid.
Totally agree. Nobody wants to be "given" a playoff game, these are games you want to earn.

... Marion Local's 8th grade has a running back who looks like an absolute stud ... I watched the first Marion Local 8th grade game and the kid had several touchdowns and long runs ...

Then I watched the next Marion Local 8th grade game and the same kid hardly got any offensive snaps at all. He played safety a lot and had a few carries but didn't play offense most of the game.
I'm pretty sure I know the kid you're talking about. He got injured in the first half of the ML-Minster game on Sep 24 and I believe has seen significantly fewer snaps on offense since. So maybe that's why he had limited touches in the second game you watched.