2020 SWBL Final Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not picking on you but are you embarrassed for picking Northeastern over Shawnee

Haha, no, I'm not embarrassed. I'm not surprised that Shawnee won, but I was surprised with how easily they won. I expected that to be more of a 50/50 type of game. Nice win for the Arrows!

For Round 2, I'll go with:

DIII
#1 Bellbrook vs. #16 CJ Eagles
#9 Franklin @ #8 St. Marys Memorial
#21 Monroe @ #5 Hamilton Ross

DIV
#8 Waynesville vs. #9 Bethel-Tate
#15 Oakwood @ #2 Indian Hill
#7 Valley View
vs. #10 Milton-Union
#11 Eaton @ #6 Graham Local

DV
#17 Carlisle @ #1 Roger Bacon
#13 Preble Shawnee @ #4 Versailles
#10 Madison @ #7 Springfield Shawnee
#3 Brookville
vs. #19 Purcell Marian

The games I'm least confident about and am most interested in would be Bellbrook/CJ, Waynesville/BT, and Eaton/Graham. Bellbrook is good enough to win their game but the loss of their RB will make it difficult. Having not seen them play without him yet also gives me a little pause in my prediction. I just don't know a lot about Bethel-Tate. I think Waynesville is a quality team, but I'm not overly confident in that selection. Finally, I think Eaton can beat Graham. That should be a good game.

In reference to Franklin, their defense is good enough to win this game, but their offense is bad enough to lose it as well. They have such a thin line between winning and losing when you're asking your defense to hold teams to 14 or less points each week.

Not many people are picking Waynesville..... why is this

I had said in another thread that I simply don't know enough about Bethel-Tate. I also think I've had a hard time getting a grasp on Waynesville this year ever since that week 1 loss to Bellbrook. I often say, the good thing is, that what we think doesn't matter. Waynesville can go out and prove it on the field. As an SWBL team, I'm hoping they get that W!

I'm picking them. BT isn't prepared like Waynesville is. My soon to be son in law is an o coordinator in Cincinnati and he said that Waynesville wins that one by 14. Or should win that one by 14. Their win over Milton was impressive to me. QB is very good.

One thing going for Waynesville is that the SWBL had a very strong Round 1. Perhaps the league is stronger overall than some give it credit for, which will prepare teams for the playoffs. That should be in Waynesville's favor.

I’ll take BT winning 42-41 in 3OT’s and Waynesville parents crying saying it’s not fair. I only say that because my wife made me go to the Shawnee Waynesville Volleyball game last night, to see who won league and Shawnee had a small amount of students at the game, and are AD I heard with my own ears walks over and says parents over on Waynesville side said they were to loud and it wasn’t fair, I wouldn’t have believed it if I didn’t hear it myself, I’ve never really cared about about a volleyball game but I was glad that Waynesville got hammered in three straight games.

I’ll take BT winning 42-41 in 3OT’s and Waynesville parents crying saying it’s not fair. I only say that because my wife made me go to the Shawnee Waynesville Volleyball game last night, to see who won league and Shawnee had a small amount of students at the game, and are AD I heard with my own ears walks over and says parents over on Waynesville side said they were to loud and it wasn’t fair, I wouldn’t have believed it if I didn’t hear it myself, I’ve never really cared about about a volleyball game but I was glad that Waynesville got hammered in three straight games.
lol

A little off topic but VV boosters announced today they’re renaming Valley Views football field from ‘Barker Field’ to ‘Niswonger Field’

for those who don’t know, Jay Niswonger coached VV from 1984-2011

243-78-1 record in that time (28 years)
11 SWBL titles
16 State playoff appearances (12 straight at one point)
Advanced to 7 state semifinals and won 3 state championships (1994, 1996, 1997)

well deserved!

A little off topic but VV boosters announced today they’re renaming Valley Views football field from ‘Barker Field’ to ‘Niswonger Field’

for those who don’t know, Jay Niswonger coached VV from 1984-2011

243-78-1 record in that time (28 years)
11 SWBL titles
16 State playoff appearances (12 straight at one point)
Advanced to 7 state semifinals and won 3 state championships (1994, 1996, 1997)

well deserved!
Who was Barker

He was a basketball coach at Germantown, not Valley View. He was the athletic director when the 2 schools merged, until the mid 70’s.

Last edited:
One thing going for Waynesville is that the SWBL had a very strong Round 1. Perhaps the league is stronger overall than some give it credit for, which will prepare teams for the playoffs. That should be in Waynesville's favor.
I don’t think the league is stronger I think round 1 was mostly bottom of the barrel competition across the board. We will find out in round 2 who our legitimate teams are and I believe those teams have always been and only been Bellbrook Brookville and Valley view everybody else I predict has a rough game 2. I believe the league this year and for the last couple years competition wise has been as weak as I remember it aside from the top one or two teams who I believe can compete with most teams in their respective divisions every year.

The fact that none of the league schools were "bottom of the barrel" is what I think is nice. Might not be a strong league, but I don't think its a weak one either.
I can agree with the fact the SWBL is a much underrated league. It’s a very competitive league. I think the smaller schools don’t get the credit they deserve playing teams 2 Divisions above them weekly that takes a toll teams who may be too beat up come playoff time to make a run against teams their own size. I’ll be interested in seeing how the teams that leave fair playing schools more their size weekly I expect a lot of wins from those teams.

I really do not feel our league is weak at all. I personally think our league has gained a lot of respect this year. We have some pretty good teams coming out of this league, and the teams that are 'bad' have played the good teams. So that naturally makes them more ready for the playoffs than the schools with cupcake schedules. I think we will have a pretty good showing in round two this week. Will we lose some teams? Yes. But I think the teams that are supposed to win will win, with some upsets as well.

I don’t think the league is stronger I think round 1 was mostly bottom of the barrel competition across the board. We will find out in round 2 who our legitimate teams are and I believe those teams have always been and only been Bellbrook Brookville and Valley view everybody else I predict has a rough game 2. I believe the league this year and for the last couple years competition wise has been as weak as I remember it aside from the top one or two teams who I believe can compete with most teams in their respective divisions every year.

That's sort of the point though isn't it? Those were also the bottom of the barrel/middle of the pack SWBL teams as well. Eaton, Oakwood, Monroe, Preble Shawnee, Madison, and Carlisle all won with 3 or more losses in a 6 week season. They were paired against very similar type of competition from other leagues and had success. Being a strong league isn't just about the top teams, it's also about top to bottom across the league. That also helps prepare the top teams when the bottom teams aren't as low. In Round 2, we'll still see the SWBL with opportunities to have success. Eaton and Waynesville both definitely have chances to advance this week as well. I agree that Madison, Carlisle, Monroe, Franklin, Preble Shawnee, and Milton Union seem less likely to win. But then again, I didn't expect so many teams to win in Round 1 either.

That's sort of the point though isn't it? Those were also the bottom of the barrel/middle of the pack SWBL teams as well. Eaton, Oakwood, Monroe, Preble Shawnee, Madison, and Carlisle all won with 3 or more losses in a 6 week season. They were paired against very similar type of competition from other leagues and had success. Being a strong league isn't just about the top teams, it's also about top to bottom across the league. That also helps prepare the top teams when the bottom teams aren't as low. In Round 2, we'll still see the SWBL with opportunities to have success. Eaton and Waynesville both definitely have chances to advance this week as well. I agree that Madison, Carlisle, Monroe, Franklin, Preble Shawnee, and Milton Union seem less likely to win. But then again, I didn't expect so many teams to win in Round 1 either.
Personally as much as I would enjoy SWBL domination I’m afraid only 2 teams advance maybe 3 if they catch a few breaks. This is still a week out from when the actual playoff teams would be locking up. My point on the league being weaker the past few years than I’ve seen it is based on the fact that I believe 90% of teams in the league couldn’t come close to competing with the team they fielded 4,5 or 6 years ago. But getting back to the playoffs Bellbrook if they can replace the production lost by their Rb may be a team to watch. Brookville tough kids great system they grew up running but not the talent they had in 2015. VV I want to buy into but the franklin game showed their venerability.

Valley View will have a little tougher time this week than two weeks ago with Milton. Waynesville found that out in 2011. Exact same scenario. Second game was a barn burner.

I agree. Having some familiarity will help MU. VV also killed MU on special teams which I'm assuming they'll be adjustments made there. Valley View also played their most complete game of the season against MU following their losses to Bellbrook and Franklin.

I agree. Having some familiarity will help MU. VV also killed MU on special teams which I'm assuming they'll be adjustments made there. Valley View also played their most complete game of the season against MU following their losses to Bellbrook and Franklin.
You're right, Milton special teams is atrocious. Terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.