2020 St. Edward Football

Any thoughts on what Eds may do defensively to slow the Medina passing attack?

The certainly have the personnel to deal with a 5-wide set. Ed's defense uses 5 defensive backs the majority of the time in a 4-2-5 look. Hankins is also very good at dropping back and defending the short middle of the field in passing situations. The question to me is what type of coverage are we going to see deployed for the majority of the game. Personally, I'd like to see them come out in man or at least pressing at the LOS before dropping into their zones. Don't give the Media wide receivers a clean release and settle into their routes. Make Allar hold onto that football just a little bit longer to allow the front four time to get to him or disrupt the throwing lanes. Pappas loves to bring pressure, but we need to be careful as Allar is mobile enough to hurt defenses. I think we'll show a lot of pressure pre-snap, walk up the LB's, but have at least one (preferably Hankins) drop back into coverage to take away the slants/drags.

The certainly have the personnel to deal with a 5-wide set. Ed's defense uses 5 defensive backs the majority of the time in a 4-2-5 look. Hankins is also very good at dropping back and defending the short middle of the field in passing situations. The question to me is what type of coverage are we going to see deployed for the majority of the game. Personally, I'd like to see them come out in man or at least pressing at the LOS before dropping into their zones. Don't give the Media wide receivers a clean release and settle into their routes. Make Allar hold onto that football just a little bit longer to allow the front four time to get to him or disrupt the throwing lanes. Pappas loves to bring pressure, but we need to be careful as Allar is mobile enough to hurt defenses. I think we'll show a lot of pressure pre-snap, walk up the LB's, but have at least one (preferably Hankins) drop back into coverage to take away the slants/drags.

...and run the ball on O, eat clock, and keep Medina's O limited with both time and opportunities to score.

Go Eagles!

Very detailed answer that makes a lot of sense. Allar can not have time to scan the field for to long he can make big throws, but also as you stated he can hurt you with his legs. I’m wondering if they choose to spy. (Mentor used Vernon at the line to shadow him at times). Zyon Freer-Brown should see most of the time at the other LB, he is playing really well. What are your thoughts on the wide splits?

...and run the ball on O, eat clock, and keep Medina's O limited with both time and opportunities to score.

Go Eagles!
That’s the key. One would have to think a player or 2 would have to start playing both ways this week. You cannot lose at this point and be able to live with that knowing you had a playmaker on the bench that could help your QB and offense.

Very detailed answer that makes a lot of sense. Allar can not have time to scan the field for to long he can make big throws, but also as you stated he can hurt you with his legs. I’m wondering if they choose to spy. (Mentor used Vernon at the line to shadow him at times). Zyon Freer-Brown should see most of the time at the other LB, he is playing really well. What are your thoughts on the wide splits?

I would line Casto and Oudeman right in those gaps and send in a blitzing LB behind them. Those guys are good enough at shooting gaps in a normal split, I' d think they could have a field day if given a few extra feet. Hankins could be the spy.

Yes, the record the tweet references includes the green team as well who had the one tie. Gold team is 6-0 with a recent 54-18 win over Erie Prep.

Yes, it does reference both, but that is fine. Lot of kids play varsity every single year that were green team members as freshman, there's a couple on the current varsity. Nice to see the depth of both freshman squads imo.

JV team seems to have trouble scoring, but has only two losses (both to Massillon).

There's some really good talent there though that I think meshes well with the current Jr class next year.. OL has some big kids and will only get better the more time they get with Coach Scanlon. The QB and RB are both really athletic. The Grady kid (TE) is going to be a big target next year, have seen him flash a number of times. And on D there are a number of kids that will help, really like some of the athletes in the secondary (Morton and Bloodworth for ex) and we're already starting to see the younger Kilbane ascend getting some snaps with varsity recently.

There's some really good talent there though that I think meshes well with the current Jr class next year.. OL has some big kids and will only get better the more time they get with Coach Scanlon. The QB and RB are both really athletic. The Grady kid (TE) is going to be a big target next year, have seen him flash a number of times. And on D there are a number of kids that will help, really like some of the athletes in the secondary (Morton and Bloodworth for ex) and we're already starting to see the younger Kilbane ascend getting some snaps with varsity recently.
Personally I think Grady could line up now at the Varsity and help the offense. He has great body control and goes and gets the ball. You can see his basketball skills at WR. As you stated those DBs and Kilbane were the top JV players I’ve noticed (vs. Benedictine and Ignatius) and heard about them in other games. It will be hard to get them on the field without switching positions being that Jr Class is loaded at DB and rotate multiple LBs this season. Kilbane was playing LB. He had recently moved to DE, and that group will bring back a some good players also. Im just not seeing where the Soph class top players will get on the field being they have many of the same strengths (minus QB)

Personally I think Grady could line up now at the Varsity and help the offense. He has great body control and goes and gets the ball. You can see his basketball skills at WR. As you stated those DBs and Kilbane were the top JV players I’ve noticed (vs. Benedictine and Ignatius) and heard about them in other games. It will be hard to get them on the field without switching positions being that Jr Class is loaded at DB and rotate multiple LBs this season. Kilbane was playing LB. He had recently moved to DE, and that group will bring back a some good players also. Im just not seeing where the Soph class top players will get on the field being they have many of the same strengths (minus QB)
And many very good Freshman may play.

GET the Castleberrys on offense NOW. Run a screen, send on a deep pass, get them the ball. HELP everybody.
I have been saying this. If you lose a game at this point you have to go down with your absolute best on the field. You have to forget trying to save a play or players, or playing a Senior if you have a better Jr options, or a Soph. This Eds team is not as deep or talented as most Eds teams. Win now. I also agree it helps everybody. Your QB, RB, the whole offense benefits and your defense will follow. Not to mention I’m sure it adds a element of excitement to the team. In the meantime it could help to atleast have Goodall, Manning and the Jr slot WR on the field at the same time.

GET the Castleberrys on offense NOW. Run a screen, send on a deep pass, get them the ball. HELP everybody.

Been wondering if we'd see this for a while too. Jackson Miller really coming on lately and helping, Manning starting to get more looks now too, but Connor Goodall is still getting doubled pretty regularly so need more guys to keep stepping up at wideout. Castleberry's could shift some things in one series, lol.

In the "win now" mode I wonder if the coaching staff figures if their path to wins is more using an athletic defense to snuff out drives and force turnovers and then pound the ball with a good o-line. The passing game works off of the run and it is nice to see more receivers get involved like they did last week. Perhaps they are working some of our more athletic players into the offense but there's no need to have them against Glenoak or Medina and having them in would just tip off Ignatius to this new wrinkle. Our secondary and linebacking corps have been a strength and they will get tested against Medina, I would want their legs as fresh as they can be against a team that can move up and down the field as much as they do.

The offense started and sputtered a lot against one of the toughest schedules in the state and now seem to be able to find consistency against some of these easier opponents that usually would be dotted in the regular season schedule. It looks like they are growing into their roles more and more with each game and the coaches are trusting them more.

Oh I agree there is good talent there, especially on defense. I think those guys you mentioned in the secondary will challenge for starting positions next year despite what we have coming back. At a minimum they will rotate in as we've done with a deep secondary this year. Kilbane is a player, and Wyatt Gedeon is already a mainstay on the varsity defense as a sophomore. Not to get ahead of ourselves with this year's team very much in the hunt, but next year could be special. And I do expect drastic improvement on the offense in Ramos' second year with pretty much all the skill talent returning. I'm wondering if those Armstrong twins on the freshman team will make the jump to varsity. Their size is hard to ignore.

Manhandled up front on defense. Inability to execute on offense when they needed to. Kudos to Medina. Pathetic display by the Eagles.

The D coordinator from Medina played for Tom in 2001 when Lake Catholic won the Sate Title. He then coached for 8 years with Tom at Highland.
It was a great chess match tonight. Luckily the Bees came out on top. All of the folks at Medina have the utmost respect for the St, Edward history and tradition. We feel very fortunate to come away victorious tonight. I know coach Kevin Bowers was overwhelmed tonight.

Disappointed ending on a tough 2020 season for all. After getting handled by Hoban it seemed they were on a good path after the Massillon comeback and good wins against Mentor and St Ignatius. Thanks to all the seniors, keep your heads up. 2021 looks like a title contender and hopefully a better year for everyone.

Even though I disparaged him early in the season, but then apologized after he dominated the Ignatius game, I find it interesting now that many of the Ed's fans on here are agreeing with my initial assessment of the Ed's QB.