Division IV R 14 #5 Van Wert at #2 Shelby, Regional Championship

Who Wins

• Shelby

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Van Wert

Votes: 19 57.6%

• Total voters
Rossford is going to take Whippets to the shed.

JK, I had to ruffle my Shelby friends

Galion's win was their first playoff win since defeating Cardinal Mooney for the 1985 Division II State Championship.

Bellevue-Galion is starting to intrigue me in what was once an NOL matchup. Tigers seem to be hitting their stride, and having a game under their belt could be beneficial.

We'll see if Napoleon's schedule pays off for them against D4 teams. From what I heard, they were pretty sore and beat up closing out the regular season so hopefully the Bye week helped them out. Looking at Firelands schedule it would seem that Napoleon has been much better prepared for the post season if they can stay healthy.

We'll see if Napoleon's schedule pays off for them against D4 teams. From what I heard, they were pretty sore and beat up closing out the regular season so hopefully the Bye week helped them out. Looking at Firelands schedule it would seem that Napoleon has been much better prepared for the post season if they can stay healthy.

Napoleon lost their starting RB for the season. I think Firelands could be handled fine, but it seems he was a key chunk of their offense.

That was always an issue when Rossford was in the NLL - even when they had good teams there weren't any cupcakes on the schedule due to the enrollment disparity. No chance to rest people or not play your best athletes both ways.

Bellevue-Galion is starting to intrigue me in what was once an NOL matchup. Tigers seem to be hitting their stride, and having a game under their belt could be beneficial.
My upset special of the week! Galion in a close one! If you look at Bellevue's schedule, they blew out one team (0-7 Sandusky). All their other wins were close games. Galion keeps this one close and pulls out the W in the final minutes. LET'S GO TIGERS AND WHIPPETS!

That was always an issue when Rossford was in the NLL - even when they had good teams there weren't any cupcakes on the schedule due to the enrollment disparity. No chance to rest people or not play your best athletes both ways.
When Delta played Rossford in the playoffs in 02 or 03 I remember talking to a Rossford fan as the game was tight going into the 4th quarter. He said that the NLL had taught them how to win these close games as that was their best year in a while and almost every game they played was a one touchdown game. Delta ended up pulling the game out but Rossford knew how to fight.

When Delta played Rossford in the playoffs in 02 or 03 I remember talking to a Rossford fan as the game was tight going into the 4th quarter. He said that the NLL had taught them how to win these close games as that was their best year in a while and almost every game they played was a one touchdown game. Delta ended up pulling the game out but Rossford knew how to fight.

Four shots from inside the 10 and never threw it to their 6'4" WR. 18 years later with a 6'4" WR and playing Eastwood - same thing. Even attacking the same end zone. Weird how history repeats itself.

That Rossford senior class lost the Lonchyna twins to SFS. Easily the most talented team at RHS since I've lived here.

This year's sophomore class was on that same track, but lost 3 kids to CCHS and another moved to Texas. Talented group for basketball, for sure, but what looked like a great group for football in Jr. High has taken some hits.

Four shots from inside the 10 and never threw it to their 6'4" WR. 18 years later with a 6'4" WR and playing Eastwood - same thing. Even attacking the same end zone. Weird how history repeats itself.

That Rossford senior class lost the Lonchyna twins to SFS. Easily the most talented team at RHS since I've lived here.

This year's sophomore class was on that same track, but lost 3 kids to CCHS and another moved to Texas. Talented group for basketball, for sure, but what looked like a great group for football in Jr. High has taken some hits.
That 6'4" WR is definitely someone that Shelby needs to keep an eye on. He had a monster night against Triway with 5 TDs.

Your QB is always pretty quick with his feet and could cause problems so that's another element they have going for them.

This could be an interesting matchup if Shelby fails to score early but that will be a pretty daunting task that so far no one has been able to accomplish. The closest game Shelby has had was the 1st week game against Ontario (28-14) but they are a different team since then.

Good luck to both teams on Saturday.

Winners from Saturday's games:

Galion 55 Lutheran West 7
Rossford 44 Triway 34
Bryan 42 Clearview 12
Edison 35 Clear Fork 28 (game of the night)
Port Clinton 40 Perkins 21
Clyde 42 Brookside 6
Firelands 59 Upper Sandusky 20
Ontario 62 Vermilion 0

Games for 10/17 (my predictions for winner in bold)

Galion vs Bellevue
Rossford vs Shelby
Bryan vs Huron
Edison
vs Keystone
Port Clinton vs Van Wert
Clyde vs Wauseon
Firelands
vs Napoleon
Ontario vs Kenton
I like Napoleon over Firelands and Keystone over Edison in the games with Lorain County teams.

That 6'4" WR is definitely someone that Shelby needs to keep an eye on. He had a monster night against Triway with 5 TDs.

Your QB is always pretty quick with his feet and could cause problems so that's another element they have going for them.

This could be an interesting matchup if Shelby fails to score early but that will be a pretty daunting task that so far no one has been able to accomplish. The closest game Shelby has had was the 1st week game against Ontario (28-14) but they are a different team since then.

He is a great kid, and freakishly athletic. He was out for all of preseason and the first couple of games and was pretty rusty when he was finally able to play.

The defense was realigned this year to handle the Wing-T. The three best teams in our league for the past 5-10 years are all primarily Wing-T teams. The new defense worked great against them, but got lit up by Otsego's air raid. I'm not holding my breath that they'll be able to slow down Shelby at all. They did play a couple of kids in the secondary last week who've been offense-only and had better luck stopping Triway in the 2nd half. I think a lot of that was due to Triway's young QB making mistakes, though.

Napoleon in the GBC and now NLL just doesn't seem to get it done during Postseason. About 15 years ago, they beat schools like Ross, Sandusky, and Lima, then turned around to get shutout in a home playoff game to Eastwood Eagles.

Napoleon in the GBC and now NLL just doesn't seem to get it done during Postseason. About 15 years ago, they beat schools like Ross, Sandusky, and Lima, then turned around to get shutout in a home playoff game to Eastwood Eagles.
Some of those Coach Snoad teams from the mid-2000's were way too talented to get bounced so early in the playoffs almost every year. Snoad left for a successful program in Gahanna Lincoln and was fired a few years later.

Keystone over Edison would not be a huge upset. Lorain County League teams are generally weak, but this Keystone team is solid. They have some athletes that they usually don’t have down there along with a Senior/experienced offensive line. They don’t have much depth or talent at the JV or lower levels, but this year is definitely their chance.

I think Ontario has a good chance of taking Kenton. Although I'm NOT familiar with Kenton I know that Ontario is a solid team and they are very Sr. laden.

Corrected: I don't know anything about Kenton.

Last edited:

Looks like Marek Albert has been officially cleared. Couldn't have come at a better time!

I saw Ontario play Norwalk last year and Truckers had running clock going in 2nd Q. Never in my imagination Warriors would make quite the improvements a year later.

Keystone over Edison would not be a huge upset. Lorain County League teams are generally weak, but this Keystone team is solid. They have some athletes that they usually don’t have down there along with a Senior/experienced offensive line. They don’t have much depth or talent at the JV or lower levels, but this year is definitely their chance.
Edison is hurting right now from what I’m hearing. Lots of starters out w injuries. They have an awesome underclass talent that is seeing varsity time, (due to starters out) which is great news for the next few years outlook. Radio has commented almost every game how the JV kids play effortlessly compared to the starters when put in. Kinda wild. Let’s see if they can hold up against Keystone. Coach Hall just hasn’t changed much with the league. WR that are 6’2-6’5” and they maybe throw the ball 5x a game. However - the JH and JV throw a bit more.
As for the rumor about the “Battle of 113” it is confirmed. Bellevue is trying to snag up all the highways in a 4 county area. They also have a great senior class of athletes. They have all been playing sports together since I can remember. “Team Ray” had like every pee wee team possible. Older Mayes boy was held back in 7th or 8th grade for sports. So they are both seniors this year. So many damn Rays. But I think this will be the last year we see a team this deep from them.

Edison is hurting right now from what I’m hearing. Lots of starters out w injuries. They have an awesome underclass talent that is seeing varsity time, (due to starters out) which is great news for the next few years outlook. Radio has commented almost every game how the JV kids play effortlessly compared to the starters when put in. Kinda wild. Let’s see if they can hold up against Keystone. Coach Hall just hasn’t changed much with the league. WR that are 6’2-6’5” and they maybe throw the ball 5x a game. However - the JH and JV throw a bit more.
As for the rumor about the “Battle of 113” it is confirmed. Bellevue is trying to snag up all the highways in a 4 county area. They also have a great senior class of athletes. They have all been playing sports together since I can remember. “Team Ray” had like every pee wee team possible. Older Mayes boy was held back in 7th or 8th grade for sports. So they are both seniors this year. So many damn Rays. But I think this will be the last year we see a team this deep from them.
I’d swear that every family in Bellevue were related to the Ray’s there are so many of them lol.