PAC 2020

Question for CVCA fans. Did I see them attempt an onside kick vs Manchester when you were up 41-7? If so, no class.

Question for CVCA fans. Did I see them attempt an onside kick vs Manchester when you were up 41-7? If so, no class.
YG- I saw that too. Honestly, not surprised. Not because CVCA has any issues with class (doubt it was actually called), but Manchester has done to teams in PAC over the years they will see a lot of this in their future.

I remember the game against Orrville where y’all scored 65, won by over 30 and were still running Wright / Foster in 4th and on siding every kick. My buddy made me stay because he swore there would be a fight after that. As they say in the movies “there will be a reckoning...”

tenor.gif

I'm really interested to see how everyone does to see how the PAC stands up against the rest of their region/division. I don't know if I saw it listed, who all is playing who this week? How many of those games are PAC teams the lower seed. Guessing Manchester, Loudenville and Tuslaw are all the lower seed.

YG- I saw that too. Honestly, not surprised. Not because CVCA has any issues with class (doubt it was actually called), but Manchester has done to teams in PAC over the years they will see a lot of this in their future.

I remember the game against Orrville where y’all scored 65, won by over 30 and were still running Wright / Foster in 4th and on siding every kick. My buddy made me stay because he swore there would be a fight after that. As they say in the movies “there will be a reckoning...”
I agree with you and I didn't agree with the Orrville tactics. But come on, they had to get Wright's numbers up! And even though France and staff were not known for their friendly tactics, it still is not a good picture. But, what goes around, comes around. And, Brophy will have to experience it. But, I believe that it was called by the CVCA staff.
With that being said, GOOD LUCK to the PAC this weekend!

PS: I believe it was 68, LOL.

I agree with you and I didn't agree with the Orrville tactics. But come on, they had to get Wright's numbers up! And even though France and staff were not known for their friendly tactics, it still is not a good picture. But, what goes around, comes around. And, Brophy will have to experience it. But, I believe that it was called by the CVCA staff.
With that being said, GOOD LUCK to the PAC this weekend!

PS: I believe it was 68, LOL.

YG, CVCA kickoff coverage is all freshman and sophomores who don't really play. Its the only time the starters can get a rest. The kicker is a senior who is very good at kicking onside kicks or popping it up. I don't think CVCA has kicked deep since just before the end of the first half of week 1 and that one got housed. Statically you are better off kicking an onside kick all the time than kicking deep especially if your coverage team isn't really ready for Friday night. Probably 90% of their kickoffs this season have been onside attempts. Manchester knew it was coming and had there hands team in on every kick. Manchester recovered almost all of them except for I believe 2. So to answer your question it probably was intentional.

All that aside, as others have stated. There is a reckoning coming to New Franklin. I know you have been a fan for a long time. This precedes the Wright era. Manchester routinely left starters in for years during the Peykov era when they were up big. They rarely took their foot off the gas when they were up. I can see every team that has been on the other side of some of those spankings taking advantage of Manchester while they are down.

In regards to teams piling it on to Manchester, because they did it to other teams here are a few thought:
1. Are teams trying to stick it to them- maybe
2. If so, that is not a smart tactic and good programs know it. You need to get some experience for the younger ones.
3. For years Manchester has had a small team, and correct me if I wrong, but if too many of the young ones play too much, they can't play the JV game the following day?
4. There are too many new coaches in the league to exact revenge on the panthers for years past.

I know France takes a lot of heat on these discussions, but when you constantly win that will happen. I find it very ironic that after 47 years of not having one losing season with Koach, the year he leaves is the year they have a losing season. Is the talent ironically the worsted in those 47 or so years- and what about 1985? He steps away, rather is asked to step away, and insert a losing year? Says something.

About the playoffs; I would not be surprised if Manchester actually wins next week- assuming they can score a touchdown- ha. CVCA should win too, I really like the way they are coming on. Northwest scares me. They have talent and a good coach looks like. However, there is just something that gets in them to take them out. The region is theirs for the taking- not easy, but it is there.

I know France takes a lot of heat on these discussions, but when you constantly win that will happen. I find it very ironic that after 47 years of not having one losing season with Koach, the year he leaves is the year they have a losing season. Is the talent ironically the worsted in those 47 or so years- and what about 1985? He steps away, rather is asked to step away, and insert a losing year? Says something.
SS - you are correct. The record is indisputable. Although another (and far more cynical) way to look at his retirement is he knew what was going to be there if he came back. Regardless, his record does speak for itself.

As for the other teams piling on if the opportunity presents itself, Manchester has been the standard that the rest of the league measures itself against for decades. Even if there are new coaches, there are uncles & dads telling their boys what that game means. Frankly, it is a badge of honor.

As for the younger guys playing, as i understand it the rule if 5 quarters/week. That predates the running clock so teams could take their foot off the gas with JV in the 4th and not have it impact the JV game the next morning.

PS - I enjoy your posts so I’m going to avoid drawing any assumptions on you being a Panther alum and the use of “worsted” in your post. ; )

YG, CVCA kickoff coverage is all freshman and sophomores who don't really play. Its the only time the starters can get a rest. The kicker is a senior who is very good at kicking onside kicks or popping it up. I don't think CVCA has kicked deep since just before the end of the first half of week 1 and that one got housed. Statically you are better off kicking an onside kick all the time than kicking deep especially if your coverage team isn't really ready for Friday night. Probably 90% of their kickoffs this season have been onside attempts. Manchester knew it was coming and had there hands team in on every kick. Manchester recovered almost all of them except for I believe 2. So to answer your question it probably was intentional.

All that aside, as others have stated. There is a reckoning coming to New Franklin. I know you have been a fan for a long time. This precedes the Wright era. Manchester routinely left starters in for years during the Peykov era when they were up big. They rarely took their foot off the gas when they were up. I can see every team that has been on the other side of some of those spankings taking advantage of Manchester while they are down.
Thanks and I agree with your second comment.

SS - you are correct. The record is indisputable. Although another (and far more cynical) way to look at his retirement is he knew what was going to be there if he came back. Regardless, his record does speak for itself.

As for the other teams piling on if the opportunity presents itself, Manchester has been the standard that the rest of the league measures itself against for decades. Even if there are new coaches, there are uncles & dads telling their boys what that game means. Frankly, it is a badge of honor.

As for the younger guys playing, as i understand it the rule if 5 quarters/week. That predates the running clock so teams could take their foot off the gas with JV in the 4th and not have it impact the JV game the next morning.

PS - I enjoy your posts so I’m going to avoid drawing any assumptions on you being a Panther alum and the use of “worsted” in your post. ; )
Not sure where "worsted" came from. Let this not be a reflection of the school I attended-lol!

Yes, they've done that all year, not just to MHS. No doubt it was intentional. That said, MHS has this sort of thing coming. Nobody is going to be showing them "mercy". And class? Really? You are familiar with Manchester, right? Does "class" only apply to MHS opponents?

Yes, they've done that all year, not just to MHS. No doubt it was intentional. That said, MHS has this sort of thing coming. Nobody is going to be showing them "mercy". And class? Really? You are familiar with Manchester, right? Does "class" only apply to MHS opponents?
tt, I don't believe "mercy" was mentioned nor requested. Class applies to EVERYONE. If you read my response to a previous post on this topic you would have seen that I agree that they had done some questionable things under the old regime.

Anyone know if their team's post-postseason games are still a go? I know it sounded like a good idea when we almost didn't have football, but wondering if Tulsaw & Manchester will still want to play if their seasons end on Saturday? Fairless has 3 games scheduled but they'll likely get at least 2 playoff games so that makes it seem less likely to play a fill-in game. Don't know if anyone else scheduled "extra" games. Just curious.

From everything I've heard, teams will still play those games. The goal is to try and get as many games as possible in from AD's and coaches I know.

Anyone know if their team's post-postseason games are still a go? I know it sounded like a good idea when we almost didn't have football, but wondering if Tulsaw & Manchester will still want to play if their seasons end on Saturday? Fairless has 3 games scheduled but they'll likely get at least 2 playoff games so that makes it seem less likely to play a fill-in game. Don't know if anyone else scheduled "extra" games. Just curious.

I don't know about the players, but I guarantee the coaches and ADs will want to play the additional games. ADs want sports to lose a little less money, and coaches will want the practice time, especially if their roster is dominated by underclassmen.

Last edited:
When I was in high school, our baseball tournament run ended, and our coach asked if we wanted to keep playing more games. We of course said we wanted to keep playing. However, baseball was our last high school sport ever, so it wasn't like we had a basketball season waiting to get started, or winter workouts for a spring sport, etc. So it could be a little more tricky.

I don't know about the players, but I guarantee the coaches and ADs will want to play the additional games. ADs want sports to lose a little less money, and coaches will want the practice time, especially if their roster is dominated by underclassmen.
And I think that's the rub - the players. "It's for the kids" has turned into "we need to make some money" and the kids are the conduit to do that.

I've always LOVED high school football because it just felt "cleaner"/"more pure" than college & pro because it was kids doing what they loved. These extra games, some against random teams, almost make it feel like we're asking them to dance for coins at the train station.

RG, as long as they aren't playing games way above them, I say Dance. The more they play, the better. I'm sure most kids would love to play more games.

So you won't be attending any games?
Watched outside a few fences week1 rest has been online. I would go to a playoff game (if provided opportunity) but a Tuslaw-Manchester game in post-postseason doesn’t have much of a draw for me personally. I’m sure families of players might feel different and I completely respect that. Just think the idea of “we give you permission to make money on games after you’re done making money for us” from OHSAA seems a little out of alignment with their mission

Good luck to all PAC-7 schools tonight!

Fairless vs VASJ
Orrville vs Fairview
Tuslaw @ Sandy Valley
Manchester @ Edison
CVCA vs Edgewood
Loudonville @ Northmor
Triway @ Rossford

Watched outside a few fences week1 rest has been online. I would go to a playoff game (if provided opportunity) but a Tuslaw-Manchester game in post-postseason doesn’t have much of a draw for me personally. I’m sure families of players might feel different and I completely respect that. Just think the idea of “we give you permission to make money on games after you’re done making money for us” from OHSAA seems a little out of alignment with their mission

I have no members of family playing and am looking forward to attending the game!

According to the scores being reported online, we have:
Fairless vs VASJ, L 28-17
Orrville vs Fairview, W 35-30
Tuslaw @ Sandy Valley, L 58-7
Manchester @ Edison, W 35-7
CVCA vs Edgewood, W 55-21
Loudonville @ Northmor, W 35-14
Triway @ Rossford, L 44-34

Rossford scored 6 TDs. 5 of them came from one receiver, #5 Jamari Croom, who had 8 receptions for 260 yards and 5 TDs.

Manchester at Kirtland (not fair)
CVCA at Perry (would love to be at this game, they need to take this next step tho I think Perry will play well since it could be their coach's last game)
Loundonville at Centerburg (no nothing about them but look legit)
Orrville at Ottawa-Glandorf (quality program)
Northwest vs Girard (closer game for the Indians than we think but will take care of business).