The Official 2020 Cincinnati Reds Thread

I'm not an expert on the QO by any means but have heard explained that the Reds would be given the opportunity to match any offer. If he still leaves the Reds would get a supplemental pick. That could be totally wrong
This is correct. If the reds match and he leaves, they will be compensated with a supplemental pick.

Would you expect this same lineup to underperform next year? I wouldn’t. That’s not to say they don’t have some issues to clean up.
No. They need to upgrade SS and Catcher. If you feel that Tyler Stephenson is the real deal and Jose Iglesias is as well then open the pocketbook and resign Bauer. Otherwise move on from Bauer and spend on SS and Catcher.

First Base is still an issue but Votto can be valuable deep in the lineup if SS and C perform.

I’ve read it in several articles. I’m sure you can google it, if interested.
Since you claimed I was wrong, I thought maybe you had some info to back it up. Apparently not.

No where in the CBA does it say that the original team has the right to match an offer and the player has to take it.
That's not how the QO works.

Since you claimed I was wrong, I thought maybe you had some info to back it up. Apparently not.

No where in the CBA does it say that the original team has the right to match an offer and the player has to take it.
That's not how the QO works.

I said Brian was correct based on what I’ve read. I didn’t mention you at all. And no one is claiming the player HAS to take a QO, just that the team making it gets a supplemental pick if the player rejects it. Which your link absolutely supports. ??‍♂️

Just reading back, the term Brian and I used “match” is incorrect. The Reds can make a QO and if Bauer rejects it and signs with another team, the Reds will be compensated with a pick. NO ONE said Bauer is obligated to take a QO or a subsequent equivalent offer from the Reds to what another team offers Bauer.

Might not be the Reds but they have the right to match any offer and at least get a pick out it.
I don't think this is right.

The QO does not mean the Reds have the right to match any other offer to keep Bauer.
I'm not an expert on the QO by any means but have heard explained that the Reds would be given the opportunity to match any offer. If he still leaves the Reds would get a supplemental pick. That could be totally wrong
This is correct. If the reds match and he leaves, they will be compensated with a supplemental pick.
Looks to me the conversation was about the right to match. You agreed with Brian.

I agreed the Reds get a pick if Bauer rejects a QO. I clarified match was the incorrect term. In any event, you claimed we said Bauer was obligated to take the Reds offer, that is untrue.
Brian certainly claimed it. You agreed.

You have hence seen the error of your ways and retracted your statement.

Lol

Time to move on.

Brian certainly claimed it. You agreed.

You have hence seen the error of your ways and retracted your statement.

Lol

Time to move on.
I acknowledged I conflated the term match and QO, but you haven’t acknowledged your claim that we contended Bauer was obligated to accept the Reds offer. That was 100% incorrect as the point Brian and I were making is the Reds will be compensated if Bauer rejects a QO.

More importantly, should the Reds sign Bauer or address SS and/or C?

Probably SS and/or catcher. Even if Bauer resigns, we know it would likely be a one year deal and not getting offensive help means the starters need to have career years again to drag the impotent offense into the post season. I think going after Bauer is just kicking the can down the road.

An interesting signing would be Chris Archer. He's been pretty bad with Pittsburgh and might be available on a minor league deal. He's only 30. Can DJ turn him around ala Sonny Gray?

I’d focus on signing Bauer if they can swing it. I think the offense will be improved next year.

I'd agree with this - most of the lineup under-performed to their career numbers - that should not happen again.

I'm leaning that way also.
If not Bauer, is there another pitcher to target?

Not sure I'd look for an expensive FA pitcher is they miss on Bauer. I'd be OK with Castillo, Gray, Mahle, Lorenzen 1-4 in the rotation. Antone looks to be a decent 5th, or they may find another cheap guy for that. I'd play Stephenson at C 100+ games, and spend at SS for some offense.

I'd agree with this - most of the lineup under-performed to their career numbers - that should not happen again.

Not sure I'd look for an expensive FA pitcher is they miss on Bauer. I'd be OK with Castillo, Gray, Mahle, Lorenzen 1-4 in the rotation. Antone looks to be a decent 5th, or they may find another cheap guy for that. I'd play Stephenson at C 100+ games, and spend at SS for some offense.
Would you go after Didi at SS?