an individual coaches proposal for 20/21

iggycoach

I'm old school, so the most important part of the season is sectionals, districts and the State Tournament. Anything prior to that jeopardizes these events from happening. A major outbreak at a mid season tournament could end the season, teams showing up at events with poor protocols could end the season, our season will be over quickly with any major problem. My hope by coming on Yappi is all of the coaches associations ban together to create a solid game plan to ensure the season finishes with an individual State Tournament. It was unfortunate guys like Moon, Gallahger, Lockett, Voinovich didn't have a shot to stand on top of the podium last year.
I remember my time on the Iowa Hawkeye Freestyle Club with Coach Dan Gable, everything we did was to prepare for the Olympic Trials, I have no idea what he would recommend here but I'm sure he would want States to happen at all cost.
levels of recommendation:
1 no regular season tournaments or duals, start season with sectionals
2 no tournaments, highly regulated duals only, (highly regulated, no one enters gym with out temp taken, masks for everyone including wrestlers not wrestling)
3 tournaments with no fans, duals with fans social distancing (highly regulated, no one enters gym with out temp taken, masks for everyone including wrestlers not wrestling)
4 everything as last year, (highly regulated, no one enters gym with out temp taken, masks for everyone including wrestlers not wrestling)

please list your area coaches association contact email and I will gather data and send it to them

Thank you,
Coach Mark Sullivan, Saint Ignatius Cleveland, Ohio

Option 2 - I think that we can wrestle a portion of the season with the duals so the wrestlers can get some mat time to prepare for the postseason tournaments - much like high school football has done & is doing right now in shortening their season. (D2 - E, SE)

I'm old school, so the most important part of the season is sectionals, districts and the State Tournament. Anything prior to that jeopardizes these events from happening. A major outbreak at a mid season tournament could end the season, teams showing up at events with poor protocols could end the season, our season will be over quickly with any major problem. My hope by coming on Yappi is all of the coaches associations ban together to create a solid game plan to ensure the season finishes with an individual State Tournament. It was unfortunate guys like Moon, Gallahger, Lockett, Voinovich didn't have a shot to stand on top of the podium last year.
I remember my time on the Iowa Hawkeye Freestyle Club with Coach Dan Gable, everything we did was to prepare for the Olympic Trials, I have no idea what he would recommend here but I'm sure he would want States to happen at all cost.
levels of recommendation:
1 no regular season tournaments or duals, start season with sectionals
2 no tournaments, highly regulated duals only, (highly regulated, no one enters gym with out temp taken, masks for everyone including wrestlers not wrestling)
3 tournaments with no fans, duals with fans social distancing (highly regulated, no one enters gym with out temp taken, masks for everyone including wrestlers not wrestling)
4 everything as last year, (highly regulated, no one enters gym with out temp taken, masks for everyone including wrestlers not wrestling)

please list your area coaches association contact email and I will gather data and send it to them

Thank you,
Coach Mark Sullivan, Saint Ignatius Cleveland, Ohio

What you are proposing is completely absurd!
#1 is the dumbest thing ive heard
#2 makes my brain hurt
#3 is completely a waste of breathe

Only thing that makes sense is Dual's and 8 team invites WITH FANS.. 15%-20% of seating capacity
There is no way to go straight into Sectionals and so on. Your ideas if thats what you want to call them screws over the 90% of kids that are seasonal wrestles. All you are worried about is your little Johnny's making it to the podium. What about the other kids that are still learning the sport? Ever think about them? From what you just posted I already know the answer!!

Stop living in fear and proposing absurd things like this and proselytizing other coaches to follow you. All it does is piss parents off that have seniors and seasonal wrestlers!!

I agree with moso7. Ever since state was cancelled, we have not stopped wrestling. Including Fort Wayne, burg, Myrtle beach. There have been rooms full of kids wrestling all summer long. Haven’t heard of one issue. I would vote for a full regular season if I could.

I should have made it clear, this is only to help convince the powers to be we want a season. This is not by any means what I want, it is only to help show the knuckleheads making decisions we are serious. Outdoor fall sports shortened their season by 40%, it seams like everyone is saying the current illness is more contagious indoors. OHSAA is going to follow the State of Ohio's recommendation, if they cancel our 20/21 season we have no recourse to get it back. The Big Ten decision to bring back football was driven by cash money, we don't have that leverage.

I only posted my Woody Hayes Award for the Michigan game to show I have some first hand knowledge of $ behind the Big Ten. By the way, if it wasn't for wrestling there is no way a little guy like me could have played for OSU.

IMG_1723.jpeg

Last edited:
I agree with moso7. Ever since state was cancelled, we have not stopped wrestling. Including Fort Wayne, burg, Myrtle beach. There have been rooms full of kids wrestling all summer long. Haven’t heard of one issue. I would vote for a full regular season if I could.

Our votes go nowhere in this debate. Let's put it this way, coaches are really, really, really hoping we can just have some type of scholastic season. Right now I believe the rules would limit things to single duals based on the single opponent in 24 hours. That would be the thing that needs to be changed in order to even have Tris or Quads. Another obvious issue is fans. I don't know what a typical gym seats but lets say an 8 team tournament you get 80 wrestlers. Each get 2 tickets equals putting the fans at 160. I'm guessing we're getting close to capacity in a lot of gyms.

Our votes go nowhere in this debate. Let's put it this way, coaches are really, really, really hoping we can just have some type of scholastic season. Right now I believe the rules would limit things to single duals based on the single opponent in 24 hours. That would be the thing that needs to be changed in order to even have Tris or Quads. Another obvious issue is fans. I don't know what a typical gym seats but lets say an 8 team tournament you get 80 wrestlers. Each get 2 tickets equals putting the fans at 160. I'm guessing we're getting close to capacity in a lot of gyms.

I know the gym where my son goes is allowed 300. This will definitely be one major thing that limits what can occur.

But the sooner schools know what the guidelines are, the sooner scheduling can be done. I think that this is the reason that the start may get pushed back.

Last edited:
I should have made it clear, this is only to help convince the powers to be we want a season. This is not by any means what I want, it is only to help show the knuckleheads making decisions we are serious. Outdoor fall sports shortened their season by 40%, it seams like everyone is saying the current illness is more contagious indoors. OHSAA is going to follow the State of Ohio's recommendation, if they cancel our 20/21 season we have no recourse to get it back. The Big Ten decision to bring back football was driven by cash money, we don't have that leverage.

I only posted my Woody Hayes Award for the Michigan game to show I have some first hand knowledge of $ behind the Big Ten. By the way, if it wasn't for wrestling there is no way a little guy like me could have played for OSU.

View attachment 10705
OMG...THIS GUY!!! Get outta here.

THIS GUY, is Mark Sullivan, don't disrespect someone spending time trying to save our season. I'm trying to do everything to ensure the State and OHSAA don't pull the plug on us.
Freedom of speach...
OHSAA already said season will go on..will look different but will go on.
By the way ..if someone says something preposterous...I will call them out ..period

I hope we can get some tournaments before sectionals so kids can get accumulated to wrestling multiple days...

How many cases were attributed to transmission from athlete to athlete in football? Thats up to 11 guys right on top of 11 guys.

Heck, how many cases have been attributed to school as the vector point?

A small individual round-robin tournament...
5 full teams x 14 wrestlers = 70 wrestlers.
2 dedicated fans per wrestler = 140 fans.
3 coaches per team max = 15 coaches.
4 officials.
5 bus drivers.
3 table workers per mat = 9 workers.
243 people inside gym.
If a gym’s capacity (seating capacity + floor capacity) is 1,000, then this is 24%.
Is this too many people??

A small individual round-robin tournament...
5 full teams x 14 wrestlers = 70 wrestlers.
2 dedicated fans per wrestler = 140 fans.
3 coaches per team max = 15 coaches.
4 officials.
5 bus drivers.
3 table workers per mat = 9 workers.
243 people inside gym.
If a gym’s capacity (seating capacity + floor capacity) is 1,000, then this is 24%.
Is this too many people??
See....this is reasonable ...
Not like that other ridiculous proposal

View attachment 10705
This isn't true. Teams can schedule out their season to have a 10 game schedule if they lose early in the playoffs or opt out. Ohio HS football teams will play a 10-game season if they want to. As a matter of fact, some public schools have scheduled games past the usual week 10 date i.e. Taft has a game scheduled for 11/13. Week 10 ends on Halloween.

Fall sports in Ohio have gone off with very little issues. According to football scoop a couple weeks back there hadn't been any outbreaks attributed to football or fans nationwide amongst states that had been playing up to 4 weeks at the time of the article. That's why DeWine stated winter sports can start on time imo.

Last edited:
This isn't true. Teams can schedule out their season to have a 10 game schedule if they lose early in the playoffs or opt out. Ohio HS football teams will play a 10-game season if they want to. As a matter of fact, some public schools have scheduled games past the usual week 10 date i.e. Taft has a game scheduled for 11/13. Week 10 ends on Halloween.

Fall sports in Ohio have gone off with very little issues. According to football scoop a couple weeks back there hadn't been any outbreaks attributed to football or fans nationwide amongst states that had been playing up to 4 weeks at the time of the article. That's why DeWine stated winter sports can start on time imo.

It was true for us, My goodness, we must have received a different notice for Saint Ignatius football. We were told we could play 6 games before the playoffs started not 10, and we started late because of covid precautions at the school. we were 1-2 (one game was unsanctioned, not sure why, a new school in Columbus) going into the playoffs. if we lost Friday we would have been done. Not sure if it's the norm to play if you lose in the playoffs. I follow my alma mater Lake Catholic close, they did not play the last game of the season because of covid and then their first round game was canceled because the team opted out
Orange pulls out of playoff football game against Lake Catholic over COVID-19 concerns wkyc 3

Look up joe eitel. You'll see that teams have games scheduled post-playoff week 1. Here's an example (there are many others - I also referenced Taft playing 11/13). It was made perfectly clear to HS football teams that if you lost in the playoffs before you hit 10 games, you could schedule opponents who also lost/opted out so that you got all 10 games. This team I guess anticipated losing early so they already have their last 2 games scheduled.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201011-064333_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201011-064333_Chrome.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
It was true for us, My goodness, we must have received a different notice for Saint Ignatius football. We were told we could play 6 games before the playoffs started not 10, and we started late because of covid precautions at the school. we were 1-2 (one game was unsanctioned, not sure why, a new school in Columbus) going into the playoffs. if we lost Friday we would have been done. Not sure if it's the norm to play if you lose in the playoffs. I follow my alma mater Lake Catholic close, they did not play the last game of the season because of covid and then their first round game was canceled because the team opted out
Orange pulls out of playoff football game against Lake Catholic over COVID-19 concerns wkyc 3

So yeah, I guess the Catholic Schools in NE Ohio were told something different. Check your priests and diocese.

I hope we can get some tournaments before sectionals so kids can get accumulated to wrestling multiple days...

How many cases were attributed to transmission from athlete to athlete in football? Thats up to 11 guys right on top of 11 guys.

Heck, how many cases have been attributed to school as the vector point?

"
"US Schools Update"

Documenting this, to track convergence of the statistics.

The Brown University survey now includes 680,000 students and 63,000 staff, and 1940 K-12 schools, mostly public (70%).

Confirmed student cases are 413 (0.061%)
Confirmed staff cases are 237 (0.38%)

The student numbers have been stable for some time, the staff numbers are steadily and slowly increasing."

Note these are "cases"....not hospitalizations...and doesn't mean they "caught" it at school.

So yeah, I guess the Catholic Schools in NE Ohio were told something different. Check your priests and diocese.

Orange is a public school, we are not governed by a diocese and we are under OHSAA rules. Teams are permitted to schedule games or play games if they are eliminated from the playoffs, teams might have senior night plans, homecoming or they might just want to play a game. We will see this weekend how many follow through after being eliminated.

"
"US Schools Update"

Documenting this, to track convergence of the statistics.

The Brown University survey now includes 680,000 students and 63,000 staff, and 1940 K-12 schools, mostly public (70%).

Confirmed student cases are 413 (0.061%)
Confirmed staff cases are 237 (0.38%)

The student numbers have been stable for some time, the staff numbers are steadily and slowly increasing."

Note these are "cases"....not hospitalizations...and doesn't mean they "caught" it at school.
Orange is a public school, we are not governed by a diocese and we are under OHSAA rules. Teams are permitted to schedule games or play games if they are eliminated from the playoffs, teams might have senior night plans, homecoming or they might just want to play a game. We will see this weekend how many follow through after being eliminated.
Glad you're acknowledging that you're original post was in fact not true.

Willoughby South just suspended all sports because of Covid, they did not give a timeline for reinstatement. Hopefully soon so they can play Benedictine this week for the playoffs. They closed the whole school District Willoughby Eastlake so that would involve North High School. Doesn't affect North, they lost their first playoff game and don't have any others scheduled. Saint Ed's plays Medina this Friday, Medina just started back in the classroom about 2 weeks ago and have no problems so should be good to go.
Can't understand why Willoughby South and Eastlake North high Schools would have to suspend all sports, cross country and golf are no danger of spreading covid.

Last edited:
Did OHSAA cancel State Duals this year? If so, that is unfortunate, Louisville would have a shot for their first title, they would need some help with teams beating Graham guys but it is doable. Aurora lost too many to make a legit charge.

What you are proposing is completely absurd!
#1 is the dumbest thing ive heard
#2 makes my brain hurt
#3 is completely a waste of breathe

Only thing that makes sense is Dual's and 8 team invites WITH FANS.. 15%-20% of seating capacity
There is no way to go straight into Sectionals and so on. Your ideas if thats what you want to call them screws over the 90% of kids that are seasonal wrestles. All you are worried about is your little Johnny's making it to the podium. What about the other kids that are still learning the sport? Ever think about them? From what you just posted I already know the answer!!

Stop living in fear and proposing absurd things like this and proselytizing other coaches to follow you. All it does is piss parents off that have seniors and seasonal wrestlers!!

Even if these options are less than ideal, we have to accept the fact that the fear-mongering has had a huge effect on the general population and the politicians and bureaucrats who pander to it.

This is the reality we have to plan for, even if it is disturbing and disappointing. None of us individually has the power to restore sanity to the general population, so our best alternative is to plan for a season that does the following:

1. Provides fair opportunities for the athletes to compete, both quantity and quality.
2. Provides a reasonable and practicable approach toward keeping athletes, officials and fans healthy.
3. Provides assurance to athletes, fans and the general population that the health of athletes, officials and fans will be maintained.

I've made my position clear: #2. And I provided specific guidelines for training and competition that follow the current known science to maintain good health for all involved (at least relating to the infectious diseases we're talking about).

So Mark, I'm unsure if I'll be able to coach this season, but my specifics are already posted here on this forum, or I can send a .ppt file of them if you want. I can even start to develop a citation list of the scientific literature supporting my specifics, if assured it would be used.

Even if these options are less than ideal, we have to accept the fact that the fear-mongering has had a huge effect on the general population and the politicians and bureaucrats who pander to it.

This is the reality we have to plan for, even if it is disturbing and disappointing. None of us individually has the power to restore sanity to the general population, so our best alternative is to plan for a season that does the following:

1. Provides fair opportunities for the athletes to compete, both quantity and quality.
2. Provides a reasonable and practicable approach toward keeping athletes, officials and fans healthy.
3. Provides assurance to athletes, fans and the general population that the health of athletes, officials and fans will be maintained.

I've made my position clear: #2. And I provided specific guidelines for training and competition that follow the current known science to maintain good health for all involved (at least relating to the infectious diseases we're talking about).

So Mark, I'm unsure if I'll be able to coach this season, but my specifics are already posted here on this forum, or I can send a .ppt file of them if you want. I can even start to develop a citation list of the scientific literature supporting my specifics, if assured it would be used.
They are way less than idea. 1 coach doesn't have the power or the voice for all HS wrestling. Doesn't matter who you are. I am only one voice of 1 parent so I have zero pull but what he is proposing is insane.
A happy medium is dual season with a mixture of 6-8 team invites or 6-8 team dual tournaments. 15% - 20% fan capacity and only tickets will go to family members. As 1 parent of a senior ill be damned if I miss his season. Due to the nature of his career choice he won't have time to wrestle in college. When making decisions you have got to think about everyone that it will affect and compromise.

They are way less than idea. 1 coach doesn't have the power or the voice for all HS wrestling. Doesn't matter who you are. I am only one voice of 1 parent so I have zero pull but what he is proposing is insane.
A happy medium is dual season with a mixture of 6-8 team invites or 6-8 team dual tournaments. 15% - 20% fan capacity and only tickets will go to family members. As 1 parent of a senior ill be damned if I miss his season. Due to the nature of his career choice he won't have time to wrestle in college. When making decisions you have got to think about everyone that it will affect and compromise.

You have to think about the idea that the state may dictate no more than 4 teams at a single event or worse (in my opinion), duals only. One coach that I talked to already thinks that this will be the case.

I don't think anything discussed on this message board is actually going to matter at all. The state will make rules and then the teams will have to work within that framework. I just hope that the state makes those decisions soon so coaches can start getting schedules together.

I don't think you need to worry about no fans being allowed. Volleyball has been played and I imagine that attendance is not much different between the two. Our school has spectator limits for all fall sports (guessingall schools do), so I think we will get to see our wrestlers compete.