Season or No Season

Superman73

Anyone heard any news yet as to whether the wrestling season will be starting on time or if we will be having a wrestling season at all? I know OHSAA says we will start on time until we are told we won't. Trying to prepare the best we can for what may or may not happen.

Anyone heard any news yet as to whether the wrestling season will be starting on time or if we will be having a wrestling season at all? I know OHSAA says we will start on time until we are told we won't. Trying to prepare the best we can for what may or may not happen.

The OHSAA's email to school superintendents, principals, and athletic directors on Friday October 2nd (as in 3 days ago) lists the first day of practice as November 13th and the first day for competition as December 3rd. In other words, on time.

The email also states "As was done for fall sports, the OHSAA staff is working to finalize sport-specific requirements, recommendations and modifications for schools when conducting interscholastic competition in winter sports. When completed, links to these sport-specific documents will be provided in the Administrator Update and posted on the OHSAA website."

Hopefully, with practice starting in less than 40 days, those "sport-specific requirements" for wrestling are communicated SOON.

The OHSAA's email to school superintendents, principals, and athletic directors on Friday October 2nd (as in 3 days ago) lists the first day of practice as November 13th and the first day for competition as December 3rd. In other words, on time.

The email also states "As was done for fall sports, the OHSAA staff is working to finalize sport-specific requirements, recommendations and modifications for schools when conducting interscholastic competition in winter sports. When completed, links to these sport-specific documents will be provided in the Administrator Update and posted on the OHSAA website."

Hopefully, with practice starting in less than 40 days, those "sport-specific requirements" for wrestling are communicated SOON.

Thanks for the info Jason, much appreciated !

Nov 13 is a Fri. I thought the original start date was Nov 9.

Nov 13 is a Fri. I thought the original start date was Nov 9.

Starts on second Friday of November at least the past 4-5 years. With first competition on the first Saturday in December.

Last edited:
historically, the first day of practice has been a Friday. the first competition date has fluctuated between Thursday and Friday.

From what I have heard, there will likely be modifications from the normal season due to the COVID. If I was to be a betting person, I would say the big mega-tournaments are going to be not happening in Ohio for 2020-21. The intention is to have a season happen as scheduled in terms of calendar dates though.

Has anyone heard when they expect to come out with the “sport-specific requirements?”
Over/Under is Nov 2nd. Bets can be placed at your local coaches association!! My optimistic guess is we'll get something Nov 17th.

But in all seriousness, I agree with above, hopefully more sooner than later, but since football got their protocols a week before the first game was supposed to played I'm thinking it'll be one in the same for us and we won't see anything until Thanksgiving. I feel like OHSAA would like to have something before November, but technically we're waiting on guidance from CDC and DeWine's office I'm sure.

Starts on second Friday of November at least the past 4-5 years. With first competition on the first Saturday in December.

I don't think this is true. Either last year or the year prior, the official start date for pratice was on a Monday. I only remember because it was odd; the first practice was always on a Friday. Also, The first events used to be allowed on Friday (Solon two-day event would start that day). I am 99.9% positive that last year the first competition day was Thursday. Someone ran a dual that night.

I don't think this is true. Either last year or the year prior, the official start date for pratice was on a Monday. I only remember because it was odd; the first practice was always on a Friday. Also, The first events used to be allowed on Friday (Solon two-day event would start that day). I am 99.9% positive that last year the first competition day was Thursday. Someone ran a dual that night.

Yeah, I was wrong on the start of competition. I was just thinking of my son's team. They always start the first Sat of Dec. But I'm pretty positive that his team has started practice on the second Friday in November for the past 5 years.

Edit: I went back and looked at my calendar and last year was actually on the 3rd Friday of the month. I also remember comments from last year about how it seemed like a later start.

Last edited:
Based on what was mentioned in the Elder wrestling threads for 2018 and 2019, in 2018 the first day of practice was Friday, November 9. While Elder opened their season on Saturday, December 1, when they hosted the Elder Duals, it doesn’t specifically say in that thead that that day was the first day of the season, although I believe it was.
The 2019 thread said that the first day of practice was Friday, November 15, and that the season started on Thursday, December 5.

You've seen results for the OHSAA wrestling season?
I've seen wrestling results from Ohio wrestlers. If the OHSAA decides to cancel the season I will still see results from Ohio wrestlers so we are having a season. It is a couple months til the OHSAA will let us know about this season. Duals only? Tournaments? We will see but the kids will be wrestling somewhere. Basements, backyards, gyms.

Last edited:
I've seen wrestling results from Ohio wrestlers. If the OHSAA decides to cancel the season I will still see results from Ohio wrestlers so we are having a season. It is a couple months til the OHSAA will let us know about this season. Duals only? Tournaments? We will see but the kids will be wrestling somewhere. Basements, backyards, gyms.
I think this grossly oversimplifies the circumstances. Yes you are seeing kids wrestling—but those are a VERY precious few and generally just the high end kids. What about the average kids and more casual kids? What about the kids that don’t live near clubs or have the money to do that or to travel long distances. Those kids won’t be wrestling in any significant way necessarily. Lots of kids and parents are hoping and praying OHSAA allows a season and they deserve to know soon.
A lot more hangs in the balance for this great sport. If there is no season, it may not effect the top 2%—but the death by a thousand cuts will continue for our sport. The divide between the haves and have nots will continue. It’s doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see how it’s bad for the sport and a self-fulfilling prophecy. Many kids miss a year and might move on for good. And the sport does a little death with each one of them.....

A couple of months? The season should be well underway in a couple of months, not waiting on the CDC to change its mind 4 times in a weekend.

Besides, events have to be planned and scheduled. You can't wait until the day before the season and then give it a green light.

A lot more hangs in the balance for this great sport. If there is no season, it may not effect the top 2%—but the death by a thousand cuts will continue for our sport. The divide between the haves and have nots will continue. It’s doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see how it’s bad for the sport and a self-fulfilling prophecy. Many kids miss a year and might move on for good. And the sport does a little death with each one of them.....
This is a powerful statement, which is why the State Coaches Association is continuing to work with the OHSAA to formulate a way to have a season. I will continue to work for a season in the safest way possible for the other 98%!

I think this grossly oversimplifies the circumstances. Yes you are seeing kids wrestling—but those are a VERY precious few and generally just the high end kids. What about the average kids and more casual kids? What about the kids that don’t live near clubs or have the money to do that or to travel long distances. Those kids won’t be wrestling in any significant way necessarily. Lots of kids and parents are hoping and praying OHSAA allows a season and they deserve to know soon.
You are correct and spot on !!! Unfortunately our sport is not built on the top 10% , we need the other 90 and we need them bad ,Casual wrestlers or the ones who just wrestle in season are the most important to the sport. these kids fill out the teams and are usually the ones who help the most at promoting it as adults becuse they realize the benifits of wrestling to everyday life .

The OHSAA has done everything they can. They said "we're havin a season, just waiting on any specific rules from the governor"

Exactly the same thing that happened with fall sports. Exactly the same complaints they got from fall sports fans.

So is there someone in DeWine's administration that we should be contacting?

There were a couple threads on here where folks submitted ideas for a proposal to OHSAA on voluntary restrictions we can live with so we have a workable wrestling season.
For example, See the next page for thread Titled:
“Changes for wrestling to have a season 2020-2021”. Thread started by Lionattack
Does anybody know if the Coaches Association submitted a proposal yet? Do they plan to submit something?

Last edited:
Reactions: SCC
There were a couple threads on here where folks submitted ideas for a proposal to OHSAA on voluntary restrictions we can live with so we have a workable wrestling season.
For example, See the next page for thread Titled:
“Changes for wrestling to have a season 2020-2021”. Thread started by Lionattack
Does anybody know if the Coaches Association submitted a proposal yet? Do they plan to submit something?

The coaches association is currently finalizing our proposal for submission. Please reach out to your district rep for more details.