This weekend St. X and CVNP invites

runs4funs

Looking forward to both of these meets to see Lakota and X match up again and to see how Mason fares up north (Mason is also running at X but I have to believe their top guys are going to CVNP since they'll meet up with West and X 2-3 more times this year). My guess is Lakota and Mason will win, West has looked dominant this year and Mason is deeper than St. Ignatius and Woodridge. But we'll find out in two days...

X looked great today. Full credit to Woodridge and St. Ignatius, Mason not as deep as I thought.
One thing you can almost always count on is St. Ignatius having depth. Woodridge is also freakishly deep for a school of its size. I hope Mason enjoyed the trip to NEO. Racing the CVNP course is a rather unique experience to say the least.

A few observations.

Iggy and Mason look young. Physically on the small side. You don't look at them and think wow. You wouldn't pick them out using the eye test.

Kenston might be better than ranked.

Woodridge boys and girls are coming along nicely.

I'm liking the wave start much better than I thought I would. I can see it being used for getting teams in and out of meets faster. Having the varsity and JV running at the same time without conflict. Especially if teams are not super deep.

The weather was perfect. Fans and Athletes did a great job. I did not think CVNP would go off at all and it went off very well.

Big gripe is teams/ schools not showing up. Don't sign up for something and not show or back out without enough time to allow other schools to get in. Covid is a valid excuse, but short of that, it's just not right, The big school girls race was down to 4 teams. Every race was originally scheduled to have at least 1 2nd wave start. By race day, only Boys Big team race and the middle school races needed them. No excuses to bump other schools out of a meet and then no show.

Can't express how well the kids handled everything. They are doing their part.

A few observations.

Iggy and Mason look young. Physically on the small side. You don't look at them and think wow. You wouldn't pick them out using the eye test.

Kenston might be better than ranked.

Woodridge boys and girls are coming along nicely.

I'm liking the wave start much better than I thought I would. I can see it being used for getting teams in and out of meets faster. Having the varsity and JV running at the same time without conflict. Especially if teams are not super deep.

The weather was perfect. Fans and Athletes did a great job. I did not think CVNP would go off at all and it went off very well.

Big gripe is teams/ schools not showing up. Don't sign up for something and not show or back out without enough time to allow other schools to get in. Covid is a valid excuse, but short of that, it's just not right, The big school girls race was down to 4 teams. Every race was originally scheduled to have at least 1 2nd wave start. By race day, only Boys Big team race and the middle school races needed them. No excuses to bump other schools out of a meet and then no show.

Can't express how well the kids handled everything. They are doing their part.

Wave Start? Have many meets been using that? We haven't been to one or heard of any using it down here in the southwest area (Dayton - Cincy) or the Columbus meet we went to this weekend. It's pretty much been the normal start with spaces between the starting boxes.

Wave Start? Have many meets been using that? We haven't been to one or heard of any using it down here in the southwest area (Dayton - Cincy) or the Columbus meet we went to this weekend. It's pretty much been the normal start with spaces between the starting boxes.
I have no idea what is going on . I worked this meet and have been to one Tuesday double dual meet. I've been told that next weekend at Legends meet, there will be up to 5 waves. It's not that bad.

I have no idea what is going on . I worked this meet and have been to one Tuesday double dual meet. I've been told that next weekend at Legends meet, there will be up to 5 waves. It's not that bad.
Thanks for the update! I ran a 10k road race that used wave starts today and had almost 700 runners with a limit of 100 runners per wave. Just curious about HS meets since I haven't seen it yet. From what I've read about the State Tournament they are not using wave starts, but just "normal races" with more space between the starting boxes.

Thanks for the update! I ran a 10k road race that used wave starts today and had almost 700 runners with a limit of 100 runners per wave. Just curious about HS meets since I haven't seen it yet. From what I've read about the State Tournament they are not using wave starts, but just "normal races" with more space between the starting boxes.
The CVNP has a challenging enough area for starting boxes, so putting conditions on them makes it rough. You really couldn't for an all varsity race and have it legit in my opinion, but if you put 9-10 runners in the first wave and then the JV or open race started 30 seconds later, it works.

Woodridge held out a top 5 runner, so speculating where everyone falls in and Woodridge probably still beats Mason. The more interesting thing to me is the #5 finisher for Woodridge. I don't think he's ever been top 7. Woodridge is rounding into shape nicely. Mason and Iggy are good teams and both very deep. I still think Kenston might be better if they continue to improve over the next 4 weeks.

This year's Mason team doesn't look to be at the same level as last year's, and X might be better than last year. Not expecting another near-upset in the D-1 race this year, at least not from Mason...although a lot can happen between now and November. Just hoping all the top runners across the state stay covid-free and get a chance to run this postseason.

Interesting devlopment at Medina Festival on Saturday. Mentor beats Woodridge 58-71 with Woodridge running the same guys who ran for them at CVNP when they beat Mason. Can we now speculate that Mentor is better than Mason?

Interesting devlopment at Medina Festival on Saturday. Mentor beats Woodridge 58-71 with Woodridge running the same guys who ran for them at CVNP when they beat Mason. Can we now speculate that Mentor is better than Mason?
Woodridge did not run a top 2-3 runner. put him in his normal spot and Mentor looks about the same as Mason.

Woodridge did not run a top 2-3 runner. put him in his normal spot and Mentor looks about the same as Mason.
Andrew Lauck was 2nd scorer at Broadman 16:44 and at Kenston 16:41). He ran at the CVNP meet but was not in the top seven for the team, then he doesn't run the following week at Medina. That tells me he had/has a health issue. Psycho, you know as well as any of us that injuries/illness are a part of the the equation in sports. Mentor beat you fair and square at Medina. By the same token Woodridge beat Mason at CVNP with what both teams brought to the table. I don't like speculating on what could have/should have happened.

Last edited:
La Salle is on their second coach since Frank Russo went to Trotwood. Maybe Peterson was right when he said La Salle would never be the same without Coach Russo. I'm predicting a last place finish in the league meet this weekend.

Andrew Lauck was 2nd scorer at Broadman 16:44 and at Kenston 16:41). He ran at the CVNP meet but was not in the top seven for the team, then he doesn't run the following week at Medina. That tells me he had/has a health issue. Psycho, you know as well as any of us that injuries/illness are a part of the the equation in sports. Mentor beat you fair and square at Medina. By the same token Woodridge beat Mason at CVNP with what both teams brought to the table. I don't like speculating on what could have/should have happened.
He was 3rd man at CVNP. I don't think I was complaining that Mentor beat Woody fair and square or not. Just helping compare Mason and Mentor. Mentor and Woodridge are very close. Woodridge only beat Mentor by 3 at Kenston and if Woodridge is at full strength at Medina it's a close one there too. Mentor might have beat Woodridge or been beaten by Woody by a point or two. If Mason was at full strength at CVNP, they would have been close to Woodridge.

What a nice job Mentor has done this season. They did not pop out at me last year as a team to watch out for this year. Especially graduating a strong #1.

What I thought was impressive about Mentor at Medina was their 17 second 1-5 split. They have one of the best packs in the state, but what will hurt them at the region 1 state qualifier is where the pack starts.

Mentor's 5 is right there with Kenston's, so I would think that should get them through to the State meet. Kenston aint no joke and it's hard not to score low with a 5 where those two teams are placing theirs.

Totally agree on the injuries comment, I know one of X's top 5 at state last year has been hurt most of the season. As for illness, I really hope teams don't have runners forced to miss postseason races due to Covid...it's different if a kid has the flu vs. being forced to quarantine because he/she happened to sit next to someone in school or on the bus that is sick. In fact I think a lot of athletes across all sports are choosing remote learning during postseason tournaments to avoid that situation.

I'm not sure that anything can be speculated on or about this season. It seems that no team is running as a "top 7 unit." I'm not sure if the coaches are being thoughtful in their training approach and trying to peak everyone together, if they're sandbagging, or, as runs4funs has made a reference to covid, if, indeed, that is playing a part. Everyone is being cautious and if an athlete has a sibling that has covid symptoms, they don't even need a positive test, it is reasonable that some coaches might have that particular athlete stay away from the rest of the team for a bit as a precaution. It seems that all teams, both boys and girls, are difficult to get a read on this season.

For the D1 boys, after St. X, who I believe is solidly the #1 team in Ohio, it seems to be up for grabs as there is a lot of parity.

As an aside, I know that Kenston is good, but someone actually believes that they're better than St X and voted them #1 in the last poll?

100% probability they will be last. It takes time for someone else to rebuild. It takes time to build and can almost instantly be destroyed.