Moeller

Pass defense as usual... and the run game has returned to being ... inconsistent... they have shown no ability to get a yard or two, when needed.
Run game is puzzling. You can see the holes being opened and they've made some hay, BUT they've gone twice to an imbalanced line in short yardage, and Moe brought safeties and linebackers up each time and stopped it. There is a tell there

Hearing very discouraging reports on #1 QB—not returning for a month... that would mean (at least) Moeller, Ig, a first round playoff game— and possibly even a 2nd round game (if one is reached)— could X win all of those without him— I’d say yes, possibly— but it presumes a LOT...

For what it is worth when Nolan went down tonight QB1 started warming up on the sidelines. FWIW I think StX Coaches didn't see a need to play QB1 tonight and are giving him as much time to get back to 100 percent as possible. I expect him to be ready for the playoffs. I also think they know they need Nolan healthy and back on defense as well for the playoffs.

I have to say was very disappointed in Moeller and it really had nothing to do with the play on the field. Running a player late off the sideline as a trick play, the head coach clapping his hand to try and simulate X’s cadence and not lining up after the game and running off the field without acknowledging a hard fought game. Is that the culture they are building there???

For what it is worth when Nolan went down tonight QB1 started warming up on the sidelines. FWIW I think StX Coaches didn't see a need to play QB1 tonight and are giving him as much time to get back to 100 percent as possible. I expect him to be ready for the playoffs. I also think they know they need Nolan healthy and back on defense as well for the playoffs.
Well, Nolan did his best to make a liar of me— at one point, he was ~19 for 19, with over 200 yards passing and 2 TDS— then missed a wide open Clifford for what would have been the third TD (and maintaining a “perfect game”)— then proceeded to throw another incompletion and an interception in the end zone— and STILL had one of the best nights an X QB has EVER had.

I have to say was very disappointed in Moeller and it really had nothing to do with the play on the field. Running a player late off the sideline as a trick play, the head coach clapping his hand to try and simulate X’s cadence and not lining up after the game and running off the field without acknowledging a hard fought game. Is that the culture they are building there???
They ran that play last week vs Elder. It’s a moronic play, but I don’t think it’s underhanded

I did not pick up on that on the stream— were you at the game? It did seem like the X student announcers mentioned that Moeller’s coaches were on the refs quite a number of times... it sounds like there is some disarray over there— which some of the play on the field tends to support.

Brogan wasn't ready to go and I dont think he was even a consideration. I watched him warm up and every pass was all arm he couldn't plant. He didn't take any short drops. Its a high ankle sprain and he has time to get better. Ryan played extremely well, and is definitely an ample replacement. He held onto the ball too long a few times but thats expected with a new QB. He would be a starter at most schools in the area and light it up.

Brogan wasn't ready to go and I dont think he was even a consideration. I watched him warm up and every pass was all arm he couldn't plant. He didn't take any short drops. Its a high ankle sprain and he has time to get better. Ryan played extremely well, and is definitely an ample replacement. He held onto the ball too long a few times but thats expected with a new QB. He would be a starter at most schools in the area and light it up.
Agreed with ALL of that!

It’s pretty amazing, the wealth of QB talent that X has had the benefit of, these last 5 years— I know that’s going to draw all kinds of sideways comments (about alleged recruiting)— but given I know how kids choose to go (and enroll in) the school (and thus KNOW what a load of ignorance and BS that is), it’s still startling that these kids (if many of them have aspirations of playing in college) choose to still go where they have every chance of getting “stacked up” behind somebody else who is ALSO outstanding (e.g.- Chase Wolf behind Sean Clifford; Klare AND Nolan behind Brogan McC, etc.)— to me, it speaks HIGHLY of ALL of the other reasons why a kid chooses to go to X— that HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH FOOTBALL!

This team is much better when they spread the ball around, it seems that Cov has finally figured out that Patterson can stretch the field and has gone to him deep in the last two games with great results. Patterson had 162 yards receiving friday I wonder how that ranks record wise? Where is reload when you need him? Lucas Cates and McFarlin are also very legitimate weapons. Nolan did a good job of finding the open guy last friday and that made life difficult for Moeller. Now the running game situation leaves a lot to be desired, both backs are capable of doing a great job when they have decent block, but neither are extremely good at breaking the first tackle. The o-line has struggled to get push in most games except (laSalle) They have got to get stronger and meaner as we start to move into the playoffs for us to make a deep run. The constant penetration on running plays makes it extremely hard for the backs to get going. The rotating backs every series is not good. Backs need to get in a rhythm and that is hard rotating every series. Every two series would give each back a chance to get in a rhythm and I think you might see them be a little more productive on a consistent basis. .

Agree 100% on run game. Scary that when 1 yd is needed it can't be obtained. I suspect that's why Cov ran the 4th down Wildcat sweep from 1 yd line as didn't believe the push would be there. Seems like unless a QB sneak behind Parker's rear-end there hasn't been a successful short down yardage run all year.

On Jalen and records for yards per game, I think Larkin had over 200 as the highest, and Clifford had over 180 last yr vs Penn. Don't believe Jalen's total is in the top 5, but will check around with the other old guys.

Reactions: 4GX
This team is much better when they spread the ball around, it seems that Cov has finally figured out that Patterson can stretch the field and has gone to him deep in the last two games with great results. Patterson had 162 yards receiving friday I wonder how that ranks record wise? Where is reload when you need him? Lucas Cates and McFarlin are also very legitimate weapons. Nolan did a good job of finding the open guy last friday and that made life difficult for Moeller. Now the running game situation leaves a lot to be desired, both backs are capable of doing a great job when they have decent block, but neither are extremely good at breaking the first tackle. The o-line has struggled to get push in most games except (laSalle) They have got to get stronger and meaner as we start to move into the playoffs for us to make a deep run. The constant penetration on running plays makes it extremely hard for the backs to get going. The rotating backs every series is not good. Backs need to get in a rhythm and that is hard rotating every series. Every two series would give each back a chance to get in a rhythm and I think you might see them be a little more productive on a consistent basis. .

I'd prefer Kellom over Vrsansky on short yardage situations and I would prefer quick hits up the middle there. For some reason, Cov does not seem to agree with me. I understand that we haven't shown an ability to get that push, but we have definitely proved that short yardage sweeps and wildcat don't work...

I'd prefer Kellom over Vrsansky on short yardage situations and I would prefer quick hits up the middle there. For some reason, Cov does not seem to agree with me. I understand that we haven't shown an ability to get that push, but we have definitely proved that short yardage sweeps and wildcat don't work...
I agree with you, sweeps and wildcat hasn't worked well with this crew. If I am going to bang it I would give Kellom a slight Edge over Vrsansky right now. It all starts with the O-line and right now they aren't moving the crowd on a consistent basis. I see a lot of catching defenders going on vs Driving them. They have got to get stronger and meaner!!!

I agree with you, sweeps and wildcat hasn't worked well with this crew. If I am going to bang it I would give Kellom a slight Edge over Vrsansky right now. It all starts with the O-line and right now they aren't moving the crowd on a consistent basis. I see a lot of catching defenders going on vs Driving them. They have got to get stronger and meaner!!!
Sounds about right— hope that happens— but, it is 5 games in— and no signs of improvement in that area— maybe the O Line is NOT the strength it was made out to be, prior to the season...

Sounds about right— hope that happens— but, it is 5 games in— and no signs of improvement in that area— maybe the O Line is NOT the strength it was made out to be, prior to the season...

Credit where credit is due - they are pretty good pass blockers.

I said exactly this in a post on the 2020 football thread back in august, I never thought the O line was going to be the strength of this team. The strength of this team hands-down is the receiving crew. Just because kids get an offer it doesn't mean they are great right now. Offers for linemen are based more on physical attributes( how big you are) and Potential(based on how big you are and your ability to move I can develop you) Getting an offer does not necessarily mean a kid is great "right now". Paris Johnson got offers at OT before he ever even played one game at the position, but he is 6 ft 7 and has mobility.(that combination is rare) These guys are big and young and they may develop into great lineman but as for right now they are not a dominating bunch especially when they are facing folks close to or equal to them sizewise. Based on their size they have the potential to be great once they grow into bodies and become men. Just my two cents

I said exactly this in a post on the 2020 football thread back in august, I never thought the O line was going to be the strength of this team. The strength of this team hands-down is the receiving crew. Just because kids get an offer it doesn't mean they are great right now. Offers for linemen are based more on physical attributes( how big you are) and Potential(based on how big you are and your ability to move I can develop you) Getting an offer does not necessarily mean a kid is great "right now". Paris Johnson got offers at OT before he ever even played one game at the position, but he is 6 ft 7 and has mobility.(that combination is rare) These guys are big and young and they may develop into great lineman but as for right now they are not a dominating bunch especially when they are facing folks close to or equal to them sizewise. Based on their size they have the potential to be great once they grow into bodies and become men. Just my two cents
That's a great point about O lineman getting offers on their size. Parker and Collins both have frames that lend themselves to getting bigger and stronger without losing flexibility and mobility, so they're going to be recruited heavier than someone like Gio, who is more effective at his position in many cases. PJ is a great example of this because of the early offers. He was a good player, but in watching him, I rarely saw the dominance that I expected rom his hype.

My son has had a few classes with Parker, and says he does not look at all as heavy as he is listed. Really surprised they have not moved him to guard or tackle to utilize the size, he is tall for a center

That's a great point about O lineman getting offers on their size. Parker and Collins both have frames that lend themselves to getting bigger and stronger without losing flexibility and mobility, so they're going to be recruited heavier than someone like Gio, who is more effective at his position in many cases. PJ is a great example of this because of the early offers. He was a good player, but in watching him, I rarely saw the dominance that I expected rom his hype.

My son has had a few classes with Parker, and says he does not look at all as heavy as he is listed. Really surprised they have not moved him to guard or tackle to utilize the size, he is tall for a center
Parker is between 270 and 280 lbs. He is tall and THICK (body wise not mentally). I think they are utilizing him at center this year due to his varsity experience and knowledge of the offense (he is making the blocking calls, etc) in support of the first year starting QB. Believe that they have been repping Renneker and Koch at center in some practice situations, but haven't tried either option in game action.

We can talk about individual o-linemen all we want, but the key is how well they operate as a group. O-line takes time to "gel" and the coaches are trying to find the right combination of guys that can come together as a unit. They do very well in pass-pro. Its the wide and tight zone run blocking that they are looking to improve on. Staying on their tracks, not breaking the "chain", staying on combos a little longer, and getting leverage are the things that they have to master. They are getting close (see CK's run in 4th qtr)...