Ron Rivera not using his timeouts?

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Is this a new philosophy in the NFL? Could have had 3-4 minutes down a couple scores with the ball. I've never seen a coach throw in the towel that early in a game.

Announcers said he was worried about injuries??? This is the NFL, players get injured all the time. Not sure how he is protecting them by not trying to win a game.

Just for clarity, I'm glad to see the Browns win but never seen a coach quit a game so early in the NFL.

Is this a new philosophy in the NFL? Could have had 3-4 minutes down a couple scores with the ball. I've never seen a coach throw in the towel that early in a game.

Announcers said he was worried about injuries??? This is the NFL, players get injured all the time. Not sure how he is protecting them by not trying to win a game.

Just for clarity, I'm glad to see the Browns win but never seen a coach quit a game so early in the NFL.
Agree. I thought Spielman was going to jump out of the booth and call the TO's for Rivera. He was clearly appalled at a pro coach throwing in the towel.

Ron Rivera quoted last week:

"At that point, it’s a little different, it’s a little fruitless to go out there and expose guys to getting hurt,” Rivera said. “To me, if I felt like the game was closer and in hand, I probably would have done it. But I’m not going to do that. To me, it doesn’t make sense. I’ve played this game as well as coaching it and I’ve seen guys try to do things and call timeouts and run a play and someone gets hurt.

“That, to me, is counterproductive to what we’re trying to do. We’re trying to develop a football team.”

Ron Rivera quoted last week:

"At that point, it’s a little different, it’s a little fruitless to go out there and expose guys to getting hurt,” Rivera said. “To me, if I felt like the game was closer and in hand, I probably would have done it. But I’m not going to do that. To me, it doesn’t make sense. I’ve played this game as well as coaching it and I’ve seen guys try to do things and call timeouts and run a play and someone gets hurt.

“That, to me, is counterproductive to what we’re trying to do. We’re trying to develop a football team.”
Time to step away and take care of his own health issue, I think. I certainly hope he beats cancer.

I get the thought process, especially with the last sentence from HE74, even if I don't agree with it. I do find it funny that this is the same man who used to be called Riverboat Ron.