The Official 2020 Cincinnati Reds Thread

Reds have won 25% of their games this season over the past week. Weird

Cards are losing to KC, SF are losing to Colorado

Reds have won 25% of their games this season over the past week. Weird

Cards are losing to KC, SF are losing to Colorado

Yep - perfect night for Reds. Win over Brewers, losses by Philly, Cards and Giants. Let's hope Sonny is healthy and they keep it rolling.

In my earlier email I was focusing only on Brewers and Giants, because they were the candidates to knock the Reds out. But in looking ahead, no reason not to bypass the Phillies and Cards.

It was announced that Brewers / Cards will make up one of the missed games, so they play 5 games in 4 days this weekend. Hoping the Reds keep winning, and that series is a 3-2 split, 2nd place in Central could happen.

Yep - perfect night for Reds. Win over Brewers, losses by Philly, Cards and Giants. Let's hope Sonny is healthy and they keep it rolling.

In my earlier email I was focusing only on Brewers and Giants, because they were the candidates to knock the Reds out. But in looking ahead, no reason not to bypass the Phillies and Cards.

It was announced that Brewers / Cards will make up one of the missed games, so they play 5 games in 4 days this weekend. Hoping the Reds keep winning, and that series is a 3-2 split, 2nd place in Central could happen.
2nd place is important because of seeding. If they can get the 6th seed (worst 2nd place team) they can avoid both the Dodgers and Padres in the first round who will both undoubtedly have their rotation set on full rest. The Reds could be looking at having their top 3 going on short rest for the 3rd straight start. They need the 6 or 7 seed for the best path to the WS.

2nd place is important because of seeding. If they can get the 6th seed (worst 2nd place team) they can avoid both the Dodgers and Padres in the first round who will both undoubtedly have their rotation set on full rest. The Reds could be looking at having their top 3 going on short rest for the 3rd straight start. They need the 6 or 7 seed for the best path to the WS.
They just need to get in at this point. Otherwise they have no path to the ws.

That one stung. Glad that Sonny looked so good, but we made Brett Anderson look way better than he is. Gotta get em Wednesday.

Phillies getting swept was nice, nothing else good happened last night, except IF the Reds get in, Sonny looks great.

Gotta win tonight. Tonight is all the marbles, tie-breaker wise. After Head-to-head, the intra-division record is the tiebreaker.
Reds are 20-19 in the Central, plus tonight.
Brewers are 17-17, plus tonight then 5 games vs. Cards to play
Cards are 19-16, with 5 to play vs. Brewers
Giants are 16-18 in the West, with 5 games left (Rockies and Padres)
Phillies are 20-19 in the East, with tonight vs. Nats. (then 3 in Tampa)

If something odd happens, like Brewers take 4 or 5 games from the Cards, we end up ahead of the Cards. The Reds really control their own destiny. Win tonight, and then get 2 of 3 from the Twins. Not simple, but attainable.

I also heard Homer Bailey might be pitching Sunday for the Twins. OMG.

Reds were the antithesis of clutch at the plate last night considering how they stranded runners in the middle innings and had 5 of 6 batters strike out in the later innings. Letting Antone go one batter too long in the 7th (even though he finished the inning strong) ended up being the difference maker in a game of fine margins.

Brewers announcers were pretty salty that Bauer yelled and stared down Vogelbach after striking him out.

Good.

Can the Reds really drop 30-40 mm for 1 more yr with Bauer? I just don’t see it. I’d love for him to stay, but you’ve got 2 solid starters already and you still need help in the Bullpen and another bat.

Can the Reds really drop 30-40 mm for 1 more yr with Bauer? I just don’t see it. I’d love for him to stay, but you’ve got 2 solid starters already and you still need help in the Bullpen and another bat.
I doubt that any team's finances are in good shape after this season. I wonder where salaries will go...

I doubt that any team's finances are in good shape after this season. I wonder where salaries will go...
Right. Unpredictable for sure. But if Trevor wins the NL CY (he should), his price would be very high, relative to all others.

I'm just going to hopefully enjoy a deep playoff run, however long we last, and worry about that over the winter.

By the way - this is not correct. San Diego is the 4 seed, because the 3 division winners are seeds 1-2-3. So if the Reds were to pass the Cards and finish 2nd in the Central, we would be the 5 or 6 seed, depending on how the W-L record compares to the 2nd place East team. Currently the Cards are the 5 seed, and would play SD in the first round.

I'd be OK if the Reds took that route. SD has been hot at the plate, but has even less experience in big games than the Reds. At least Bauer, Sonny, Moose have big game experience, and Votto has been in some playoff games as well. I'd be happy to get the 5 seed - it means you are definitely in! It does line you up to play LA the 2nd round though. I'd rather play the Padres than LA, Braves or Cubs in the first round.

So the seeds look to be

1- LAD
2- ATL
3- CHC
4 - SD

1 & 4 are locked, 2&3 could still flip. Reds can still be #5 - out.

So my first and main hope is that they make the playoffs. After that I'd prefer they play anyone besides the Cubs in the first round simply for the sake of variety. They will be underdogs in the first round (and probably every round they make it to), but with the top three starters they will have a puncher's chance in a short series.

By the way - this is not correct. San Diego is the 4 seed, because the 3 division winners are seeds 1-2-3. So if the Reds were to pass the Cards and finish 2nd in the Central, we would be the 5 or 6 seed, depending on how the W-L record compares to the 2nd place East team. Currently the Cards are the 5 seed, and would play SD in the first round.

I'd be OK if the Reds took that route. SD has been hot at the plate, but has even less experience in big games than the Reds. At least Bauer, Sonny, Moose have big game experience, and Votto has been in some playoff games as well. I'd be happy to get the 5 seed - it means you are definitely in! It does line you up to play LA the 2nd round though. I'd rather play the Padres than LA, Braves or Cubs in the first round.
So my post was incorrect because you'd rather the reds play the Padres than the Braves or Cubs?

LMAO