Are you a true West Sider??

Yep, 8th and Overlook was where we went, we ended up there at the end of a Friday or Saturday night, because we lived within walking distance. Of course once we started driving, our eating options greatly opened up. So those pizza breads became less frequent
When I first got married I rented a house on Roth between Overlook and Nebraska.

His name was Leroy. He worked at the Norwood GM plant with my grandpa. They were good friends. Leroy quit GM to open Julios. He was married to an Italian lady that had all the recipes. I bought my first car from Leroy, 71 Ford Torino.

If I’m thinking of the same guy, I think he bowled in my league at Del-Fair on Tuesday nights

Where was Julio's pizza on Delhi Pike? Any idea when it closed?
At Delhi Pike and Greenwell, in the two story building facing the Pike. Along Greenwell, the buildings, heading south, go; Maloney's, the old Lape Barbershop and then the building Julio's was in.

Closed in the early 80's then reopened in the old Butterkist Bakery, W8th and Overlook for a brief time in the early 2000's. I believe he also had a place in Saylor Park for a while.

Closed in the early 80's then reopened in the old Butterkist Bakery, W8th and Overlook for a brief time in the early 2000's. I believe he also had a place in Saylor Park for a while.

OMG, I completely forgot about that, at the old Butterkist site. I did try them then, I remember being in there for Julio’s, and many, many times for the bakery

These stories are so cool! It is very interesting to hear about the old neighborhood business like Juilo's in Delhi and it's history. I lived in Price Hill and Delhi Pike to me back then was like a foreign country to me. It took my friends and I (pretty much) an all day bike ride to get to Delhi Park and Clearview Lake from where I lived. I had no idea Delhi Pike had so many small neighborhood business similar to the ones on Glenway Avenue. It is good to hear stories like this!

Last edited:
I found this link a while ago about Pete Rose the Cincinnati Kid! It is was taken in 1969 but what makes it neat to watch is when they talk about his days at Western Hills High School. I think you will get a kick at looking at all the land marks found on Glenway Avenue during this time and how much things have changed. I do not want to be a spoiler and give out any answers but let us know what you find on Glenway back in 1969! :)

The user car lot that at the intersection of Harrison and Race now has for sale signs up. For many years it was called Metro Auto Center before it was sold or re-branded to become Walt Sweeney Race Road Auto Center in 2017. At some point in 2019, it "closed for remodeling" but doesn't appear to have ever reopened.

On Friday, Nation Westwood announced an opening date of October 1. It will be outdoor dining and carryout only for the first few weeks.

I found this link a while ago about Pete Rose the Cincinnati Kid! It is was taken in 1969 but what makes it neat to watch is when they talk about his days at Western Hills High School. I think you will get a kick at looking at all the land marks found on Glenway Avenue during this time and how much things have changed. I do not want to be a spoiler and give out any answers but let us know what you find on Glenway back in 1969! :)

One old west-side place we all talked about a while ago was the trash incinerator on Crookshank Road. In this video you can see this old land mark in operation at the 8:50 mark (right behind Pete and the Western Hills baseball coach). Check out the large white fumes of smoke (almost cloud like) coming from it. That image there rang home to me when I saw that. Very cool...............

Recently, I've noticed some work being done in the building on Harrison Ave in front of Kohls and Meijer that used to be home to Payless and Game Stop. Does anyone know what's going in there?

Also, at today's meeting of the Hamilton County Rural Zoning Commission, one of the agenda items is to approve tearing down 3 houses at the corner of Lee Court and Harrison Ave (near the Harrison Greene development) for the construction of a new location of Superior Credit Union. This new bank building would be across Lee Court from the TruPartner Credit Union building. I'm guessing the two remaining houses that sit between this new bank and Peters Nursery probably aren't long for the world.

Work has finally begun on this project.

Attachments

• F50CF722-07C2-4FF2-8AA5-6A9B228620A1.jpeg
    F50CF722-07C2-4FF2-8AA5-6A9B228620A1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
Saturday night my wife and I dined at Veracruz Mexican Grill on Price Avenue this past Saturday. We were surprised to see that they had extended the patio the full length of the building. In addition, the owner told me that they were expanding, taking over the whole building, and adding a private party room, a bakery and a butcher shop.

We both had an excellent meal, as usual, (this time I had the steak ranchero) and we were both very pleased to hear the family business is doing well and expanding. They are great people and their hard work should be, and apparently is, being rewarded.

Saturday night my wife and I dined at Veracruz Mexican Grill on Price Avenue this past Saturday. We were surprised to see that they had extended the patio the full length of the building. In addition, the owner told me that they were expanding, taking over the whole building, and adding a private party room, a bakery and a butcher shop.

We both had an excellent meal, as usual, (this time I had the steak ranchero) and we were both very pleased to hear the family business is doing well and expanding. They are great people and their hard work should be, and apparently is, being rewarded.

Is this their second expansion? I feel like they had shut down for a bit about a year or two ago.

Is this their second expansion? I feel like they had shut down for a bit about a year or two ago.
Yes, second expansion. There should be no closure as the space they are expanding into have dividing walls.

On another note, it looks like Sunnyside Delhi is opening October 1st. Poor folks had really bad luck with their original anticipated start that got rona'ed. Good luck to them in their new location. No doubt it will fare better than the Indian place that took over the old DHC location.

Yes, second expansion. There should be no closure as the space they are expanding into have dividing walls.

On another note, it looks like Sunnyside Delhi is opening October 1st. Poor folks had really bad luck with their original anticipated start that got rona'ed. Good luck to them in their new location. No doubt it will fare better than the Indian place that took over the old DHC location.
Our son's babysitter lives over that way and, dear lord, has that place been packed in the morning. This morning the lot looked like it didn't have a single space left.

Are they going to tear down these buildings at the corner of grand and queen city and farther up queen city ?

1601654186363.png

and what about the white elephant, Lunkenheimer <sp>, on the corner of queen city and beekman ?

1601654424720.png

The old Hemsath Sound Center. Spent some money there back in the day.
Actually Sight in Sound (not Sight and Sound) was at the corner of Queen City and Grand during the '70s, maybe even later. Car stereo was on the street level while home stereo and vinyl were down a ramp on the lower level. A laundromat was next door.