Northwest Conference 2020

I don't want to be that guy but I have 2 points I would like to discuss:

1. Dont you think Ada is too small to have both football and soccer?

1) yes. Absolutely. Every NWC school is realistically too small to support respectable programs in both football and boys soccer. Ada and Bluffton are way too close to losing their football programs if their communities and administrations don’t address it.

I am just saying I dont think it is too far fetched to think Ada can support 11 man football. They have been averaging 60-80 kids in each class last few years (think it was around 110-115 boys top 4 grades last few years) which is usually enough to play 11 man.

Grove is only around 70-90 kids per class. Unless the soccer program is just raking in kids, which I don’t think it is, there is no reason ada should be struggling this bad with numbers other than having a toxic culture in their program. From what I’ve seen and heard, they need an overhaul from the ground up on every level of their football program, I just hope they can find someone with the stones and guts to take on that job.

According to
enrollment numbers Spencerville has 114 boys Ada 110 both have soccer I don't think its enrollment

According to
enrollment numbers Spencerville has 114 boys Ada 110 both have soccer I don't think its enrollment
And Spencerville has respectable programs in both. People are jumping the gun a bit on Ada and 8 man football. Their coaching hires have been a disaster as of late. They simply need someone to turn the tides. Much like Jefferson is trying to do.

I am a BVC guy so I find is a bit funny Leipsic is jumping to the stable league while all the BVC schools are managing to play the season out. Perhaps Ada should call Vanlue and ask them how it’s done
Leipsic is jumping to a conference where one school has a freak rash of injuries and players quitting, where the BVC has about a half dozen schools who would move to an 8-man schedule in a heartbeat if there was a playoff system/state championship available.

Leipsic is jumping to a conference where one school has a freak rash of injuries and players quitting, where the BVC has about a half dozen schools who would move to an 8-man schedule in a heartbeat if there was a playoff system/state championship available.
I think a time is coming very soon where some schools up here have to be honest with themselves and start to give the Northern 8 a serious look for 8-man.

I think a time is coming very soon where some schools up here have to be honest with themselves and start to give the Northern 8 a serious look for 8-man.

No, Ada should not be seriously looking at 8 man football. Just 3 years ago Ada was 7-3 and playing in the Division 6 playoffs. With Mike Fell as head coach they made the playoffs every single year from 2006 to 2012, and even in Bob Olwin's 5 years they qualifed in '13, '15, '16, and '17. Even if you want to say that the school has decreased in size (which it hasn't) they have the 3rd largest CB enrollment in division 7 this year. The only thing Ada needs is a coach that will get the kids in their hallways to play and run a respectable program.

No, Ada should not be seriously looking at 8 man football. Just 3 years ago Ada was 7-3 and playing in the Division 6 playoffs. With Mike Fell as head coach they made the playoffs every single year from 2006 to 2012, and even in Bob Olwin's 5 years they qualifed in '13, '15, '16, and '17. Even if you want to say that the school has decreased in size (which it hasn't) they have the 3rd largest CB enrollment in division 7 this year. The only thing Ada needs is a coach that will get the kids in their hallways to play and run a respectable program.
I wasn't talking about Ada specifically. I'm well aware of their history and this next hire will be very important for them.

I think he meant more like Vanlue, Arcadia, Cory-Rawson, North Baltimore, etc...

I think throwing Ada in with some of the school mentioned (small BVC schools) is crazy
LB 199
VB 150
Riverdale 134
McComb 95
NB 85
Arlington 79
Leipsic 75
Arcadia 74
CR 69
PG 65
Vanlue 37
They would literally be the 4th biggest school in the BVC, so ya they really should contact Value and Arcadia and ask them how its done. Because for all the butt kicking those schools have taken and all the coaches they have played for, they man up every Friday day night and show up.
Side note - In leagues this small the number of kids is only part of the equation, PG was champs 2 years ago, HN used to dominate even though they were in the lower half of enrollment and Leipsic is a league contender. Yes Value should go 8 man, but everyone else has the numbers to play D7 football (CR needs to get rid of soccer). Sorry to have bother the NWC conference thread, I really love the idea of the football tournament you guys are using.

Too bad, is it too late for Crestview to get another shot at Spencerville tonight?
No offense to Crestview, but I don't think there would be much difference than week 1. Crestview cannot defend the Wing T offense. It's hampered Coach Owens when he was an assistant in Indiana and found it's followed him to Ohio.

Bluffton’s cancellation tonight appears to be purely Covid-related. Even though they are smaller than normal this year, they are no where near the same disadvantage in numbers as Ada was. The NWC commish tweeted out after tonight’s games that Jefferson at Bluffton is on as of now for next Friday

A year ago at this time Elida had a mess on its hand with players not wanting to play for the coach at the time and granted comments and accusations came out that were said apparently, it led to that coach resigning. 52 weeks later at a different school in the area, and another coach is out mid season.

That being said, it makes me wonder if Bill Speller will apply at Ada and how many candidates will the job even have? I hope this program can turn it around.

A year ago at this time Elida had a mess on its hand with players not wanting to play for the coach at the time and granted comments and accusations came out that were said apparently, it led to that coach resigning. 52 weeks later at a different school in the area, and another coach is out mid season.

That being said, it makes me wonder if Bill Speller will apply at Ada and how many candidates will the job even have? I hope this program can turn it around.
Not a bad thought

My understanding is Bluffton is planning on playing. So it would be Bluffton vs. Jefferson. The winner would play Paulding the following week. Loser would have to find an opponent to replace Ada or just take a bye week.