Archive of Football scores.

HartleyFan

does anyone know a good source to find old high school football scores for a particular team prior to 2000?

I'm working on compiling all of Ohio's high school football scores going back to 1972, and I'm about 98-99% of the way done. What school and years are you looking for?
Milton-Union high school. I might be able to help with scores back to 72 which would include many other schools that played Milton.

Bishop Hartley 1986 to 1998
And 72 to 1978
Contact Julius Palazzo. He may be able to point you in the right direction. His email is on the Diocese / St Mary Magdalene school website.

Another possible lead: go to the Bw3 in Canal Winchester on a weeknight, and seek out the one they call “Jimbo.” He usually can be seen enjoying wings at the counter. I think he was in the class of ‘79. Go Thursday night, that’s when his team (the Dolphins) are playing this week. He’s not an encyclopedia, but he may remember some results or scores — at worst he could probably point you in the direction of some ol’ Hawks.

That would be a great resource to have access to. Do you plan to make it easily available?
I do eventually plan to make it publicly available once I get just a tick farther. Of the 818 teams that have played since 1972, I have 327 fully done at the moment (that is, all scores, H/A, dates going back to 1972, regardless of how many seasons they have played). While that sounds like only 40%, keep in mind that, for about another 200 or so, I may only be missing one score, or one H/A, or something like that. If my Excel model is correct, I have about 99% of the actual work done (and this is on about 179,600 or so games prior to 2020); it's just finding that last 1% that's been tenuous. Once I can fully confirm half the teams (roughly 409 total), I'll work on making a site out of it. As for now, it's a bunch of inter-linked spreadsheets. As I said, if anyone needs any info, PM me and I email you what I've got.

Four Seasons' approach, at least with Ohio, has been to make each school available as he goes, and he's up to about 65 OH schools (many of which would be otherwise difficult to find info on). Since mine is OH-based, I'm not sure that approach would work as well.

I have a lot of scores, but not that far back. I have them in Microsoft Access, which I think gives you better ability to cross reference than Excel

I do eventually plan to make it publicly available once I get just a tick farther. Of the 818 teams that have played since 1972, I have 327 fully done at the moment (that is, all scores, H/A, dates going back to 1972, regardless of how many seasons they have played). While that sounds like only 40%, keep in mind that, for about another 200 or so, I may only be missing one score, or one H/A, or something like that. If my Excel model is correct, I have about 99% of the actual work done (and this is on about 179,600 or so games prior to 2020); it's just finding that last 1% that's been tenuous. Once I can fully confirm half the teams (roughly 409 total), I'll work on making a site out of it. As for now, it's a bunch of inter-linked spreadsheets. As I said, if anyone needs any info, PM me and I email you what I've got.

Four Seasons' approach, at least with Ohio, has been to make each school available as he goes, and he's up to about 65 OH schools (many of which would be otherwise difficult to find info on). Since mine is OH-based, I'm not sure that approach would work as well.
It'll be great to see it when complete. Thanks for all your hard work. Good luck.

I am researching ohio high school scores for over 30 years, have most complete but still lots in boxes in my closet retired now and spend many hours on this.I have orginnized by school but working on year by year scores and standings.There is a websight with most newspapers on line but it cost 75.00 dollars but 6 months.Akron,Dayton,Cincinnati are a few that goes back to 1920s.

I am researching ohio high school scores for over 30 years, have most complete but still lots in boxes in my closet retired now and spend many hours on this.I have orginnized by school but working on year by year scores and standings.There is a websight with most newspapers on line but it cost 75.00 dollars but 6 months.Akron,Dayton,Cincinnati are a few that goes back to 1920s.
I use that website. They occasionally run promos where you can get 6 months for $60. That's still steep for most, but if you know you're going to use it, I've found it to be worth the money vs. going to the library, especially if you only have a few minutes to work with or aren't quite sure what you're looking for. Many of the papers go back a a ways, but few of them come all the way to the present day. I also have library cards that allow me to access the older newspapers for the Cleveland Plain Dealer (pre-1992, IIRC) and the Columbus Dispatch (pre-1986) online. The library microfilm is my 1st choice if I have a large block of time and have a clue as to what I'm looking for. Additionally, my local library has a subscription to another of those newspaper websites that I can access online w/ my local library card. Most of the papers on that site don't go beyond 1976, but a few do. Lastly, I've found some issues of the Toledo Blade and Youngstown Vindicator online via the Google News Archive database.

Last edited:

If you need anything on Canton Central Catholic, or if you need any info on contests involving an opponent of Canton Central Catholic, PM me. I might be able to help you. I've got all the results for the Canton CC years which ranges from 1945 to present. I've most of the Canton St. John results but not everything. Games got thrown together or cancelled at the last minute a lot in those days. I'll assume they didn't have contracts like they do now to lay out all the parameters.

I use that website. They occasionally run promos where you can get 6 months for $60. That's still steep for most, but if you know you're going to use it, I've found it to be worth the money vs. going to the library, especially if you only have a few minutes to work with or aren't quite sure what you're looking for. Many of the papers go back a a ways, but few of them come all the way to the present day. I also have library cards that allow me to access the older newspapers for the Cleveland Plain Dealer (pre-1992, IIRC) and the Columbus Dispatch (pre-1986) online. The library microfilm is my 1st choice if I have a large block of time and have a clue as to what I'm looking for. Additionally, my local library has a subscription to another of those newspaper websites that I can access online w/ my local library card. Most of the papers on that site don't go beyond 1976, but a few do. Lastly, I've found some issues of the Toledo Blade and Youngstown Vindicator online via the Google News Archive database.
Thanks so far I have found all that I need except for a Bishop Hartley vs Bishop Ready score fro 19/17/1964 at Bishop Hartley.

Pouring Purple has every DeSales Season since 64 by Season Games / Scores / Locations

I've only noticed a couple of small mistakes in the Scores but the Winner / Loser was correct.

I have 61 of the 62 years of Bishop Hartley football i just need to look up 1963 and that one Ready score and i am done. 1959 to Present.
I would consider writing to the Diocese of Columbus and pitch to them a story of you collecting Hartley football records with one score away from having it all, with it being published in the weekly Catholic Times.

10/1/1964
10/17/1964 was the date of the game. Couldn't find the sports section in the online archived version of the Dispatch yet. However, I found a score of Hartley 14, Ready 0 in my local paper's state scorelist that was printed on 10/19/1964 (my local paper did not publish on Sundays at that time).

10/17/1964 was the date of the game. Couldn't find the sports section in the online archived version of the Dispatch yet. However, I found a score of Hartley 14, Ready 0 in my local paper's state scorelist that was printed on 10/19/1964 (my local paper did not publish on Sundays at that time).
Thank you