Ask The Ref?

This isn’t a question but just an observation. I noticed from watching a few games online these first couple of weeks, the umpire in the center judge position on a five-man crew for some games while in the regular position for others. I don’t know if this it is at the discretion of the different football officials associations but I wondered if this was ever going to happen due to the safety concerns that exist around officiating behind the linebackers.

Last edited:
This isn’t a question but just an observation. I noticed from watching a few games online these first couple of weeks, the umpire in the center judge position on a five-man crew for some games while in the regular position for others. I don’t know if this it is at the discretion of the different football officials associations but I wondered if this was ever going to happen due to the safety concerns that exist around officiating behind the linebackers.
The 2020 Gold Book allows, but does not require, the umpire on a 5-person crew to work from this position to allow for greater social distancing.

Are officials allowed to call for a measurement? The TV announcers in the game I'm watching are insisting that it is a Covid rule that you can't.

Have had more than one person me this. I have to watch games outside the fence as I am not taking a ticket from a parent, grand parents, etc. Are officials allowed to come over to the fence, for those outside the stadium, and tell you to separate and move back for our own safety? I told the dudes who said it that I would love to see an official actually try it....

Have had more than one person me this. I have to watch games outside the fence as I am not taking a ticket from a parent, grand parents, etc. Are officials allowed to come over to the fence, for those outside the stadium, and tell you to separate and move back for our own safety? I told the dudes who said it that I would love to see an official actually try it....

Not even close to being a responsibility or concern for an official.

Are they reluctant to do so for some reason? I don't know that we've had a single first down measurement yet in our first 3 games and there's probably been a few cases where it was probably warranted.

Most of the time it's not necessary. We try to start the ball on a yard line every series for this reason. If the ball starts on the 42 going in, and they get to the 32 it's a first down. If they're short, it's not. No real need to measure.

What game, channel were you watching? Like mydayton or whatever? Thur night game was worst called I ever heard......and sad was he said he was coverinba game Friday.
It was the Winton Woods game. The announcers didn't know what forward progress was. I literally just felt bad for them for bring in that position.

Quick question. How far are coaches allowed out on the field? In the Valley View-Franklin game the Franklin coaches were constantly out at the numbers. With time running out Franklin actually had 2 coaches out that far with the clock running and told the QB, who was coming off the field, to get back in and spike the ball.

Quick question. How far are coaches allowed out on the field? In the Valley View-Franklin game the Franklin coaches were constantly out at the numbers. With time running out Franklin actually had 2 coaches out that far with the clock running and told the QB, who was coming off the field, to get back in and spike the ball.

Ohio emphasizes that coaches are allowed only 2 steps onto the field to communicate with their players when the ball is dead.

This should be rare in occasion and brief in length.

Officials need to nip this in the bud early in a game with the dreaded flagged sideline warning

2nd half of a 30 point game. So a running clock situation. I believe the clock stops on change of possession, correct? Team A punts and team B muffs the punt. Team A recovers the punt. Shouldn't the clock continue to run because no change of possession?

2nd half of a 30 point game. So a running clock situation. I believe the clock stops on change of possession, correct? Team A punts and team B muffs the punt. Team A recovers the punt. Shouldn't the clock continue to run because no change of possession?

During a running clock situation, the clock stops for the following reasons...

1) 1. An official’s time-out is called for an injured player
2) A charged time-out is called
3) A change of possession (COP) occurs at the end of the down
4) At the end of a period
5) A score occurs
6) An extended delay

So, yes, in the situation you describe, the clock should continue to run as K (team A) still has the ball at the end of the down.

Had team B caught the ball then fumbled and team A recovered, that would have been a change of possession wouldn't it?

Had team B caught the ball then fumbled and team A recovered, that would have been a change of possession wouldn't it?

There were two changes of possession on the play. However, since A ends up with the ball at the end of the down, the clock continues to run....

Here's an example that's direct from the Mechanics Manual for officials. While the play is not exact this situation, it does refer to this situation.

Play: A is ahead 31 – 0. A-1 throws pass, B-1 intercepts, B-1 returns, hit, fumbles, & A-3 recovers the fumble.

Ruling: Since A has the ball at the end of the down, the GC continues to run. The same ruling would apply on a KO or punt play

Last edited:
Is there not an “in the grasp” rule for when a quarterback releases last second after being held up and getting dragged down, forward progress stopped, after several seconds?

Is there not an “in the grasp” rule for when a quarterback releases last second after being held up and getting dragged down, forward progress stopped, after several seconds?

There is no "in the grasp" rule.

Forward progress would have to be judged as being stopped for the play to be blown dead before the pass.

Currently watching Mt. Vernon IN @ Delta IN.....

Delta is punting the ball but the ball is snapped over the punters head.... he runs back and kicks the ball. The ball is punted forward but comes down prior to the line of scrimmage bounces up in the air and is caught by a member of the punting the team. The coach immediately yells for the kid to run with the ball which he does all the way into the end zone.... the call is a touchdown. Now, I cannot believe that they could of blown this call so badly as it was obvious it did not touch anyone on the receiving team so I am thinking there must be some rule that I am unaware of of a punt that does not reach the line of scrimmage....

https://indianasrn.org/WidgetTest.phpb the play can be seen at the 47:30 minute mark......

Currently watching Mt. Vernon IN @ Delta IN.....

Delta is punting the ball but the ball is snapped over the punters head.... he runs back and kicks the ball. The ball is punted forward but comes down prior to the line of scrimmage bounces up in the air and is caught by a member of the punting the team. The coach immediately yells for the kid to run with the ball which he does all the way into the end zone.... the call is a touchdown. Now, I cannot believe that they could of blown this call so badly as it was obvious it did not touch anyone on the receiving team so I am thinking there must be some rule that I am unaware of of a punt that does not reach the line of scrimmage....

https://indianasrn.org/WidgetTest.phpb the play can be seen at the 47:30 minute mark......

Can't open the link. However, if a scrimmage kick is recovered behind the neutral zone by the kicking team, the kicking team can advance it by run or pass...... They could even kick it again.

Great job by the officiating crew of not blowing this play dead.

Can't open the link. However, if a scrimmage kick is recovered behind the neutral zone by the kicking team, the kicking team can advance it by run or pass...... They could even kick it again.

Great job by the officiating crew of not blowing this play dead.

I knew it had to be something like that because the ball did not cross the line of scrimmage..... at half the call was explained and they basically said that since the punt did not reach the line of scrimmage it is basically like a fumble and a free ball. I've been watching HS Football for well over 40 years and have never seen this before.....

I knew it had to be something like that because the ball did not cross the line of scrimmage..... at half the call was explained and they basically said that since the punt did not reach the line of scrimmage it is basically like a fumble and a free ball. I've been watching HS Football for well over 40 years and have never seen this before.....

Most of the time when it happens, it's after the kick is touched behind the neutral zone by the receiving team (partially blocked) then recovered behind the NZ by kicking team.

About 20 years ago I had a team kick a ball to a teammate outside the numbers. He threw a pass to a teammate for a touchdown. Perfectly legal as the kick was recovered behind the neutral zone. We also had an ejection after the play ;)

I have a hypothetical question and not sure if it has happened.....

A ball is intercepted deep in the end zone. The defender runs the ball out but there is an illegal block in the back in the end zone as he returns it. He returns it to the 30 yard line..... What is the call?

If I was to guess I would say the ball would be placed on the 10 yard line with the intercepting team having the ball but I would not be shocked if somehow a safety is involved.....

thanks.....

I have a hypothetical question and not sure if it has happened.....

A ball is intercepted deep in the end zone. The defender runs the ball out but there is an illegal block in the back in the end zone as he returns it. He returns it to the 30 yard line..... What is the call?

If I was to guess I would say the ball would be placed on the 10 yard line with the intercepting team having the ball but I would not be shocked if somehow a safety is involved.....

thanks.....

Had this last year.....

Enforcement spot is the spot of the foul. Since the foul occurred in the end zone, the result is a safety if the penalty is accepted. If it's declined, they keep the ball and have it 1st and 10 at the 30