Doubledribble, the AARP Boys and Diva

That's what it looks like. Maybe the TV folks will draw in virtual fans, like baseball?
Family not allowed at NC unis per gov. (High school slated to play in Feb and Mar). (UNC) Charlotte canceled Sat's game with UNC due to the bug.

Life is interesting. :)

Just a little flashback...
Browns / Bengals game tonight. My parents took me to to this epic preseason clash every year at The Shoe. One year, I think '74 as a 12 year old, I escaped and they found me sitting on the Bengals bench talking to Lamar Parish.

My Dad, being an usher at stadium, had to be there several hours prior to kickoff.
As we entered into the stadium, what I noticed most was the players entering the parking lot driving their big, fancy cars. Mostly Olds 98's and Toronados. I was able to approach these athletes and get they graciously gave me their autographs on the programs that I still have in my possession.

It has been quiet lately, hasn't it? Hopefully we will hear from him soon.

And speaking of classic oldies, I've been hearing this unfamiliar tune in the past year, maybe once every month or two. The song is titled "Time After Time", first recorded in 1946 by Sarah Vaughn. Guessing most of the AARPsters know it well, but I don't really remember hearing it in my youth. Actually thought the singer might be Dusty Springfield. Turned out to be Chris Montez. I absolutely didn't know the name, but I knew his first hit "Let's Dance". "Time After Time" was Montez' last Billboard Top 40 single in 1966.

Amazing how much you can still learn late in life.

Last edited:
It has been quiet lately, hasn't it? Hopefully we will hear from him soon.

And speaking of classic oldies, I've been hearing this unfamiliar tune in the past year, maybe once every month or two. The song is titled "Time After Time", first recorded in 1946 by Sarah Vaughn. Guessing most of the AARPsters know it well, but I don't really remember hearing it in my youth. Actually thought the singer might be Dusty Springfield. Turned out to be Chris Montez. I absolutely didn't know the name, but I knew his first hit "Let's Dance". "Time After Time" was Montez' last Billboard Top 40 single in 1966.

Amazing how much you can still learn late in life.
I like to think we are learning vs. remembering what we forgot! I don't recall the song, but it's a nice, relaxing - in a good way - song. Thanks for sharing.

Oh, yes. I remember this one. Doubt I knew who sang it. An oldie, but goodie.

My first thought: Time After Time (Cindi Lauper) and Let's Dance (David Bowie). Guess my recent memory is better than my long-term. Imagine that. :p

This is a couple days late, but two days ago (September 18) was the 50th anniversary of Jimi Hendrix' death. Most people believe he died from an accidental drug overdose, but there's some that say it was suicide or even homicide. Cause of death: "Inhalation of vomit due to barbiturate intoxication". Janis Joplin died just a couple weeks later.

On a personal note, a high school friend of mine died the same way, either in 1975 or 1976. He overdosed on barbiturates and suffocated in his sleep on his own vomit. Fortunately, barbiturates are not prescribed much anymore due to their high potential for abuse and addiction. Many famous people OD'd on barbiturates.

Did anyone see the Falcons game yesterday? Apparently there was a kick that ended up with the ball spinning or doing something weird that made the players just stop and stare. Does anyone have a clip of that? I'd love to see it.

Did anyone see the Falcons game yesterday? Apparently there was a kick that ended up with the ball spinning or doing something weird that made the players just stop and stare. Does anyone have a clip of that? I'd love to see it.
Here ya go. Kicking from the 35, Cowboys players cannot touch the ball until it goes 10 yards. But the receiving team (Falcons) can touch/cover the ball at any time...their special teams players all had a massive brain fart. Unbelievable!

Pros..... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

couple of years of midget football
couple of years of junior hi
4 years of H.S. ball
at least 3 years of college ball...

and they still don't know the rules of the game !!!

:>---

SALT

^^^As a teenage boy in the seventies, I was never a fan of Helen Reddy's music (obviously), but I'm sorry to hear of her death. Lately, it seems like a lot of famous people have struggled with dementia at an early age.

RIP Helen Reddy.

I
RIP ~
Helen Maxine Reddy (10/25/1941 – 09/29/2020) age=78

she suffered from dementia and Addison’s disease (chronic adrenal insufficiency)

SALT

In addition to Helen Reddy, the music world saw the passing of Mac Davis yesterday. who was also 78 yrs old
and just 3 months younger than Helen Reddy. Both were quite popular at the same time period in the mid 70's.

Both singers had a number 1 song on the charts in late 1972 within 2 months of each other. Davis with " Baby,
Don't Get Hooked On Me" peaking at 8-5-72, while Reddy took " I Am Woman" to number 1 on the charts on 10-14-72.

JB

Sad to hear of two 1970’s greats passing. I thought Reddy had a great voice and some interesting songs (Mrs Zunardo says “Angie Baby” is creepy, which is why I like it).

I first heard of Mac Davis when WTVN- AM would play “Whoever Finds This, I Love You” around 1971, even though it barely charted. Very sad song. I think I liked it because it was based on a short story I had read in Readers Digest a year earlier, and I recognized the story immediately. I wasn’t a huge fan of his bigger hits, but I was always impressed with his songwriting ability. The story of the first time he pitched “in The Ghetto” to a group of musicians and producers is hilarious

Remember "Car 54 Where Are You?" Change the first two words to OWK and you have my question.

Well Diva, thanks for asking. "Hi" to all and I see that you're staying busy and some of you are actually doing some positive stuff to stay is shape. I wish I could say the same, but I'm only walking occasionally since the weather has been so hot in South Florida. I know, I could go to the gym but I'm not that motivated plus gyms scare me (due to COVID). That, as well as the fact that Mrs. OWK broke her foot, has kept us pretty much at home. She is doing fine, but cannot put any weight on her left foot for 6-weeks. She has a knee scooter and, fortunately, we have hardwood floors and our living space is all on one floor. It was really a freak accident and she didn't even fall down. Just sort of twisted her ankle (we thought) walking down the last step of our stairways to the garage. Hopefully, she'll be OK with the proper rest. I'll say this, she has great attitude and she's very diligent about not ever putting any weight on that foot. Bottom line is I guess that 2020 is the year that keeps on giving. :)

It's been a pretty tough week for "oldies" performers with us losing both Helen Reddy and Mac Davis. I also read that Hall of Fame pitcher Bob Gibson died. Many people know that he was a great pitcher for the St. Louis Cardinals, but he was also an outstanding basketball player. He starred in hoops at Creighton and then played with the Harlem Globetrotters. Trotter legend Meadowlark Lemon thought that Gibson was actually better in basketball that baseball. Whaever the case, he was a great athlete, competitor and a classy guy.

I also saw that today is Chubby Checker's 79th birthday. This is right up "JB's" alley, but there is some great trivia involved with Chubby Checker. Most of us are familiar with how Ernest Evans stage name originated. Supposedly, Dick Clark's first wife said the Evans looked like Fats Domino, but not as fat, hence "Chubby Checker". His recording, "The Twist", was a hit two different times (1960 and 1962). His other hits include, "Let's Twist Again", "Pony Time", "Limbo Rock", "Slow Twistin'", "The Fly" and "Loddy Lo" (about his wife, Catharina Lodders).

In 1964, Chubby Checker married Miss World (1962), Catharina Lodders (The Netherlands). It's very hard to believe, but as far as I can determine, Chubby and "Loddy Lo" are still married. Anyway, Happy Birthday Chubby Checker.

The best to all and stay safe!

I'm sorry to hear about Mrs. OWK. I hope she heals well and completely. Good to hear from you.

I used to dance to "The Fly" when I was about 8 at my grandma's house.

Covid has touched our family. We found out our son has it in Utah. I'm worried, of course, though he's at home. He 28. Had a fever last week but now has a cough. He'll spend the next nearly two weeks resting and recovering.

And President Trump also has it, along with his wife. This is all unsettling to me. I'm trying to have a better, more grateful attitude about things but sometimes it's hard.

I've had a stomach bug for a week. I'm ready for that to go away. I'm sure that's contributing to my mood. I need to look for the positive.

I have had "No Way to Treat a Lady" in my head since I heard about Helen Reddy. I knew only one Mac Davis song, I think.

Covid has touched our family. We found out our son has it in Utah. I'm worried, of course, though he's at home. He 28. Had a fever last week but now has a cough. He'll spend the next nearly two weeks resting and recovering.

Diva - Sorry to hear about the COVID situation with your family. Wishing your son the best and prayers are headed in his direction. Also, you hang in there because better days are ahead...eventually. :) Stay safe!

Thank you. This weekend has had some healing for me. Our church has a worldwide General Conference broadcast twice a year that I really look forward to. It helps refill my well spiritually.

I don't want to offend anyone, but I think turning to God is the only way we're going to find peace and healing.

Looking forward to another week or two of decent weather. I have raspberries that still have to ripen and be canned.

Rest easy, my friends.

Heard on Music Choice this evening. Solid Gold Oldie.

If this does not make you feel old, then you are still young!

Is that U.S. 62 in one of the early pictures?

Heard on Music Choice this evening. Solid Gold Oldie.

If this does not make you feel old, then you are still young!

Is that U.S. 62 in one of the early pictures?

Well, I have to 'fess up. Yep, I remember the song "Asia Minor". I guess when you're 73 years old, you can remember things from much further back than the "youngsters". In 1961, I was just graduating from grade school in L.A. (Lower Akron). :)

Eddie Van Halen ~ has passed ~ age 65 ~ ( 01/26/1955 - 10/06/2020 )
- reported cause = throat cancer / the man had a lot of other health issues
was married to actress Valerie Bertinelli for 26 years (1981-2007)

OOPS: I didn't see that Auggie has opened a thread on this event.

SALT

I hadn't heard the Kokomo song before.

Eddie Van Halen was a favorite of mine. I thought he was adorable back in the day on the 70s when they came out.

I loved the long-haired guitar players and married one! My husband still has his long hair. Are you familiar with Mr. Gold on "Once Upon a Time"? He looks just like him. Facial features are very much the same as his, as is the hair. People ask him all the time if he's Robert Carlyle.

I remember the first time I heard "Running with the Devil". Great song, and David Lee Roth was a great frontman, probably the best ever. I wish we had seen them when we had the opportunity back then.