Northmont 18 Springfield 1

They had 10 scorers including their keeper who I am guessing they put on the field I know Springfield is terrible but I doubt she scored on a goal kick. There is only so much you can do. We have done the same in the 2nd half of games, everyone out of position, keeper and center backs at attack, all shots must be off a cross after 5 passes, every ball must be played back to keeper, 2x a possession, skill players moved out or back, dressing JV players in etc....

I would rather have a team score, than pass around everyone for 40 minutes. But I know not everyone agrees with this. I was on a the UC team that lost 81-0 to Penn State. Joe Pa may have had his issues but unsportsmanlike behavior was not one of them. It was our job to stop them not their job to stop playing.

A couple of guesses...
-going for school or state scoring record
-rivalry game

I was told it is acceptable in any of those cases.

It's definitely not a rivalry. They can just cap Their scores like everyone else does. The difference between UC vs Penn State and Springfield vs Northmont is that UC can recruit, too. Springfield is made up of girls who, I'm guessing, have never played soccer before in their lives.

Eh, kids need to play to get better on both sides of the ball. Nobody's fault I will always disagree with passing around and teasing players, and disagree with telling people not to score. Put restrictions in place and move people around. But to say stop playing then it's not a game. 10 scorers including your keeper says to me there was no intent.

And Nobody is getting recruited to Northmont so it's even, you get who you get. Springfield has a lot of kids to choose from. It's why they are in the GWOC.

With the GWOC mentality, I'm surprised they haven't kicked Springfield out of the GWOC since the girls soccer, basketball and softball are not very competitive. :rolleyes:

Springfield coach probably told NM coach just bring it and we will try and stop you and maybe they learn something along the way. Springfield is very used to getting routed and I don’t believe their kids take offense anymore.

We have this discussion every year. I don’t know the answer but 18 goals doesn’t feel right. Six passes before you shot, shot only with your none dominant foot, whatever.

It happens at all levels, Stanford beat a small D1 Texas college last year in the NCAA tournament 15-0 or something close. Stanford’s best player had 8 goals. That’s a good season for a D1 player. That seems wrong time.

Yes, you can debate that stopping at 9-0 or 10-0 and passing around the other team is not good, but also winning 18-1 is also probably not good.

Which one is going to get you out of the spotlight and ridiculed by the public? Stopping at 9-0 or 10-0.. Not winning 18-1. Gotta be smarter than that if you want to not be criticized.

They had 10 scorers including their keeper who I am guessing they put on the field I know Springfield is terrible but I doubt she scored on a goal kick. There is only so much you can do. We have done the same in the 2nd half of games, everyone out of position, keeper and center backs at attack, all shots must be off a cross after 5 passes, every ball must be played back to keeper, 2x a possession, skill players moved out or back, dressing JV players in etc....

I would rather have a team score, than pass around everyone for 40 minutes. But I know not everyone agrees with this. I was on a the UC team that lost 81-0 to Penn State. Joe Pa may have had his issues but unsportsmanlike behavior was not one of them. It was our job to stop them not their job to stop playing.

The GK took a PK that was awarded to Northmont while she was still playing GK.

My daughters team won state her Sophomore year in HS. I think the most goals they scored in any game was 6 or 7 early the the playoffs. In 4 years they had 10 once. The coach wouldn’t allow it to go higher. Don’t know if this is the right thing to do or not but no one complained.

Eh, kids need to play to get better on both sides of the ball. Nobody's fault I will always disagree with passing around and teasing players, and disagree with telling people not to score. Put restrictions in place and move people around. But to say stop playing then it's not a game. 10 scorers including your keeper says to me there was no intent.

I agree with your statements on this thread. If my team is being beat that bad do not play keep away from my team. Play the game and let us worry about how to stop you or how to learn some great lessons.

And because of the GWOC's infinite wisdom to play league contests only this year, this game gets to be played again later in the season. Centerville stopped at 11 on them last night...

10's ok, but 11's not? Is 8 the appropriate number? But you're mean and hate children if you score 9.

It's a sport. There are winners and losers. You learn from winning, you learn from losing. It's almost always mommy and daddy the most upset about the score. Unless you leave your stud scorer in to just keep ripping shots. Kids are resilient. Nothing worse than watching kids chase a ball with kids running around them. Imagine that happening for an entire half or more? That's way more embarrassing as a player or coach than losing by a big number especially if they are changing up the players and the style of attack.

10's ok, but 11's not? Is 8 the appropriate number? But you're mean and hate children if you score 9.

It's a sport. There are winners and losers. You learn from winning, you learn from losing. It's almost always mommy and daddy the most upset about the score. Unless you leave your stud scorer in to just keep ripping shots. Kids are resilient. Nothing worse than watching kids chase a ball with kids running around them. Imagine that happening for an entire half or more? That's way more embarrassing as a player or coach than losing by a big number especially if they are changing up the players and the style of attack.

I guarantee that mom and dad aren't mad about the Springfield score. I am sure that some of the parents don't even know their kids are playing soccer. You're talking about different worlds between Springfield and the rest of the GWOC as far as girls soccer is concerned.

Yep, I was at one on the boys side last night. Two parents from the losing side came, left just after half. So the fans, on senior night, paid 7 bucks to watch a total debacle with a team in possession 98% of the game in their own DEFENSIVE half. The second half was shortened to 30 minutes thank god. It should be get to 9 up and turn off the lights, game set match. We would have been out of there before the half. The losing squad would have something to play for at 8-0, stop them or game over.

The “good” schools stop at 9

And then what? 25 minutes to play and you’re up 9. You’ve already (one would hope) removed your top players, put your players in unfamiliar positions....now what? Goofy restrictions which make a mockery of the game? Shoot wide (as some AD’s instruct their coach)? Pull up on a breakaway with the keeper because “goals can now only be scored off a cross with your head”? Play keep away for 25 minutes (which is the most humiliating thing I’ve ever seen happen in a game)?

Take players off the field. You should know 3 or 4 goals in how that game is going to go. Play 10 v 11 - score again? Play 9 v 11. My experience is this usually balances things out a bit, and the kids get to keep playing.

Just my 2 cents.