Hubbard at Girard

Also I don’t think Girard is going to blow anyone out
I mean obviously they have a chance to blow out Jefferson, they are actually probably going to lose this week to Hubbard and no way they blow out Niles
Unfortunately I hope it was just one of those games. Absolutely terrible all around plus a perfect storm. If that was a decent team, Hubbard would have lost by 3 scores. I would like to believe if Hubbard and Jefferson played 10 times Hubbard would blow them out 9 out of the 10. Jefferson kids played hard. Have to give them that.

Unfortunately I hope it was just one of those games. Absolutely terrible all around plus a perfect storm. If that was a decent team, Hubbard would have lost by 3 scores. I would like to believe if Hubbard and Jefferson played 10 times Hubbard would blow them out 9 out of the 10. Jefferson kids played hard. Have to give them that.
Its probably the best thing to happen to Hubbard IMO. I think that the kids could have been too cocky after beating Struthers and got their heads popped. I have to give Jefferson credit, they played hard. I think the kids realize that in essence, the playoffs start this week.

I
Its probably the best thing to happen to Hubbard IMO. I think that the kids could have been too cocky after beating Struthers and got their heads popped. I have to give Jefferson credit, they played hard. I think the kids realize that in essence, the playoffs start this week.
I totally agree with you olschool, the playoffs do start this Friday in a sense.

Hoffman & Company have to show the last couple of minutes of last year's game against Girard down at "The Beautiful" over and over again this week. That in itself should help with motivation you would think.

It should certainly be labeled as a "payback game" this Friday night for The Eagles of Hubbard High...

I can agree kinda, without the injuries they run away with it, if they play anyone other then jefferson or lakeview with all those injuries they probably lose to everyone else, that’s just an indicator how competitive the league is. I know it’s Sr and Poland at the top right now but I wouldn’t say they’re unbeatable for the other 4 schools that compete and are getting better while young

You better go to jib jab
I was at Jib Jab yesterday, the only good part of it is that it's super close to I 80. Quick in and quick out of Girard as fast as you can.

Does anybody know if Girard replaced their turf? I heard it's in pretty bad shape, is that correct?

I was at Jib Jab yesterday, the only good part of it is that it's super close to I 80. Quick in and quick out of Girard as fast as you can.

Does anybody know if Girard replaced their turf? I heard it's in pretty bad shape, is that correct?
No they haven't replaced it yet. It's long overdue. It really is in bad shape.

Girards turf is really bad but it was one of the first to get it, I’m sure they’ll get it resurfaced in the next 2 years. Poland was way worse last year tho

Kids are getting soft. Lets go back to dirt and mud. Bad turf is still light years better than the mud pits of a decade or so ago. .After that mud dried out with holes all over the place you could easily sprain or break an ankle. And many did.

Kids are getting soft. Lets go back to dirt and mud. Bad turf is still light years better than the mud pits of a decade or so ago. .After that mud dried out with holes all over the place you could easily sprain or break an ankle. And many did.
No it’s not. Bad turf has absolutely no traction. Causes serious knee ankle and other problems. ask the kid from Poland last season that started qb to start the season. Slid out of bounds whilst upright and fell on his hip. Broke it. Awful. At least with grass and mud there’s something to put your feet into.

Difference is the regular grass/mud is more safe then the turf they play on, it looks nice but I would rather have a grass field

I know they did a study a few years back that found athletes are over 50% more likely to suffer a serious injury on turf vs playing on a natural field. Nothing was as bad as the old style astro turf that YSU used to have.

I’ve seen the numbers. It’s really about the ability to use the field endlessly for all sports with little maintenance. I don’t ever want to go back to a muddy grassless field after three days of heavy rain to decide a regional final In a downpour in mid November. Girard did that against Ursuline at Fitch about 15 years ago I’m guessing. After the first 5 minutes it turned into three yards and a plop of mud.

Last edited:
Girard's turf has a crown I believe and has drains around the perimeter of the field just like YSU, so it must have a hard surface under the turf for water shedding. I know at YSU under their playing surface is asphalt. I was on Girard's field a couple of years ago.

Hubbard's turf (Pro Turf) drains straight down with the water being collected by 200 drain tubes running the width of the field into an underground catch basin then into the cities storm drain system. Completely different than Girard's.

We had a discussion about Girard's turf a few months back..... remember?

Girard's turf has seen better days but has no crown. I questioned that while they were installing it. I was informed Turf fields dont have crowns because it causes the rubber pellets to migrate to the edge. It's a gravel base with an agricultural type fine slag on top of that and I assume it drains straight down as well. I believe to the southeast corner and down the hill to the creek. The perimeter drains are for the track which Hubbard does not have. I spent many a night standing on the sideline in the rain since its been installed.. It does not drain to the sides. And drains quite well.
I've been over looking at McDonalds new installation going down the last few weeks.. Exact same base and drainage as Girard including the perimeter drains. They also have a track.

Last edited:
Girard's turf has seen better days but has no crown. I questioned that while they were installing it. I was informed Turf fields dont have crowns because it causes the rubber pellets to migrate to the edge. It's a gravel base with an agricultural type fine slag on top of that and I assume it drains straight down as well. I believe to the southeast corner and down the hill to the creek. The perimeter drains are for the track which Hubbard does not have. I spent many a night standing on the sideline in the rain since its been installed.. It does not drain to the sides. And drains quite well.
I've been over looking at McDonalds new installation going down the last few weeks.. Exact same base and drainage as Girard including the perimeter drains. They also have a track.
Thank you for that.

I just assumed with the drains around the perimeter of the field it was similar to YSU's drainage system. YSU does have asphalt under their turf which I did not know until it was replaced for the very first time.