Anyone know the procedures on playoffs ?

sportsbreeze

How many teams will be in each region?

Will the top teams get byes?

If no byes will it be 1 vs 8 or 1 vs 16?

Thanks, sorry if this posted somewhere , i couldn't find it.

7 divisions with 4 regions each just like before. Likely 7 rounds of playoffs, with many top seeds having a Bye so they'd only have 6 potential playoff games. The only division that might only have 6 rounds of playoffs would be D I. There are only 71 schools assigned currently, so if 7 aren't playing/opt out it will be a 6 round tournament for them.

If D1 is only 6 rounds and the other six divisions are 7 rounds, will D1 have an off week for all teams or will their state championship be a week earlier?

A couple follow up questions:
  • Is there a any published protocol on how the new adjusted Regions will be assigned? Does Geography take priority or is it to try and balance out the competition?
  • Similar to basketball I thought I saw that the teams can pick their path in the bracket, is this the case?

A couple follow up questions:
  • Is there a any published protocol on how the new adjusted Regions will be assigned? Does Geography take priority or is it to try and balance out the competition?
  • Similar to basketball I thought I saw that the teams can pick their path in the bracket, is this the case?
Basketball doesn’t use that system anymore, I think the coaches will vote in seeds and that’s how it will be determined. The voting will give you what seed you are

The regions will be assigned based solely on geography. Competition won't be a factor.

If a division has fewer rounds, their state championship game will simply be a week earlier.

Sounds like it will be like baseball, where everyone is seeded and the higher/better teams pick first on where they want to go. I know central district baseball D1 seeds from 1-47.

Basketball doesn’t use that system anymore, I think the coaches will vote in seeds and that’s how it will be determined. The voting will give you what seed you are
That's not entirely true - it depends on the district. Here in the NW District, we use that system; teams are seeded via coaches' vote and then choose where to place themselves on the bracket. In other districts, coaches vote on seeds and then it's filled out via straight bracket format.

If D1 is only 6 rounds and the other six divisions are 7 rounds, will D1 have an off week for all teams or will their state championship be a week earlier?
Mike Dyer reports the D1 playoffs will likely end 1 week earlier than the other six divisions.

Anyone know the procedures on playoffs ?

If 500 teams opt in, fans of roughly 490 of them will be on here claiming they’re getting a royal screwing. That’s the procedure. Beautiful in its simplicity ?

Will it be districts in basketball closer locations? Smaller districts then go to regionals? Or will it be four regions seeded 1-27 for example?

Will it be districts in basketball closer locations? Smaller districts then go to regionals? Or will it be four regions seeded 1-27 for example?

That's my big question. There are some REALLY far flung regions, especially NW and SE. Marion to Marietta in D6? Defiance to Cleveland/Akron in D3? I get it for a traditional 32 team playoff, but something like the Indiana football (Ohio every other sport) district format makes a lot more sense this year.

Question. If your team is way down this year, should they opt into the playoffs, or opt out and schedule a more evenly matched opponent where the gate isn't shared with the state?

Question. If your team is way down this year, should they opt into the playoffs, or opt out and schedule a more evenly matched opponent where the gate isn't shared with the state?
You can opt in and when you lose schedule the other games. Sometimes it’s good for young teams to get the experience of playing a powerhouse program for a week, some cases obviously they have no business playing but most of the time it will help a team in the long run

Most teams? Maybe opt out. Your team? I would think they’d relentlessly opt in :)

Pretty simple. You play, you get 11 games. You don't, you get 10.

The extra game and week of practice trumps the trip and cost, IMO.

Pretty simple. You play, you get 11 games. You don't, you get 10.

The extra game and week of practice trumps the trip and cost, IMO.
That's not true. If you opt out you get to schedule additional games against others who have either opted out or lost in the playoffs. But you can schedule additional games for this season of you lose in the playoffs anyways. So might as well play the playoff game regardless.

If 8 teams don’t opt in then it’ll be 1 less round right?
Correct. 64 or less would 6 rounds. OHSAA has committed that even if it is 65 teams they will add the 7th round and give 63 teams a Bye.

Would any D I schools play a game in Week 7 while waiting out their Bye?

Mike Dyer reports the D1 playoffs will likely end 1 week earlier than the other six divisions.

I remember one season when the D1 playoffs ended a week later than the other divisions. Can anybody tell me when and why that happened?

Are you saying they would be allowed to?
All I have seen is a school can schedule up to 10 games. A playoff game would be one of those ten. Would anyone rather have all ten games be against teams you choose where the gate doesn't go to the state? No idea.