Your first TV show

While it was far from my first show, I admit I watched The Waltons. But my excuse and only reason was because I wanted to boink Mary Ellen. Felt the same way about Thelma from Good Times.

Last edited:
The first show that I can remember having to watch every week when it was on no matter what was Monday Night Nitro in the mid to late 90's. The rise of the NWO was the height of professional wrestling for me. Frequently watched some shows as a kid like Rosanne, Cheers, really liked watching Hee-Haw with my grandma, but Nitro was the first one I can remember being must watch TV.

Did watch Dukes of Hazzard a lot as a kid, but was on Fridays I believe so when there was a football or hoops game I missed it

Combat! was the first non-kids program I watched regularly. Tuesday's at 8:00 if I remember correctly. I asked for and got the board game for my birthday.

"Checkmate king 2, this is white rook, over."

(Bonus points if you can explain my italicized exclamation point, without looking it up of course.)

To be honest when I was younger I was into The Mickey Mouse Club serials, Spin and Marty and The Hardy Boys' Mystery of the Applegate Treasure.

I have to admit I am kind of old. My first ones were Brady Bunch and The Partridge Family. At least they were in color!

Combat! was the first non-kids program I watched regularly. Tuesday's at 8:00 if I remember correctly. I asked for and got the board game for my birthday.

"Checkmate king 2, this is white rook, over."

(Bonus points if you can explain my italicized exclamation point, without looking it up of course.)

To be honest when I was younger I was into The Mickey Mouse Club serials, Spin and Marty and The Hardy Boys' Mystery of the Applegate Treasure.
It's a bayonet. "Cage, take the point".

The Muppet Show was another one that had us crowding into the one dorm room with a tv.

One of the best syndicated shows in the history of TV, also a great multi-generational show that worked well on different levels depending on the age group. Bonus points for getting great gust stars>

One of the best syndicated shows in the history of TV, also a great multi-generational show that worked well on different levels depending on the age group. Bonus points for getting great gust stars>

Elton John

Gilligans Island, The Paul Shannon Show, Bonanza. And I also watched Combat. As I remember I thought it was pretty cool to be in a WW2 platoon running around Europe doing whatever you wanted.

Last edited:
The Simpsons and Seinfeld would be the first show I have any memory of. Never got into the 90s Nickelodeon like most kids my age.

What is your first tv show? I don't mean what was the first show you remember watching, but the first one you got into and went out of your way to watch.

Mine is Combat! Aired from 1962-67, I was five when it first aired. Starting Rick Jason and Vic Morrow this hour long program is the longest running WWII drama ever. Not really what you would consider an action show although it did have action. The producers went out of their way to be authentic by employing military consultants. Most of the regular cast were WWII or military vets. For five seasons this poor band of "Kilroys" never fought their way out of France in a seemingly endless charge of recon missions. Great depiction of a bunch of weary, average Joe, dogfaces trying to accomplish their mission and survive both physically and mentally. Combat! made it feel personal and never glorified war. If you enjoy drama this program is well worth checking out.
I thought my dad was the only person who ever watched that show. I think he’s seen the entire series over 20x.

The Muppet Show was another one that had us crowding into the one dorm room with a tv.
Was racking my brain for an answer. Could not think of the show until seeing your post. This would be the one for me. I can remember getting my Sat. night bath, putting on my "jammies," and settling in to watch the Muppet Show as a kid. Mom and Dad would often air-pop some popcorn as well.

If we're also counting cartoons here, my other answer would be the Smurfs. I'd also catch the Gummy Bears before, but the Smurfs were the "must see" cartoon for me.

Was racking my brain for an answer. Could not think of the show until seeing your post. This would be the one for me. I can remember getting my Sat. night bath, putting on my "jammies," and settling in to watch the Muppet Show as a kid. Mom and Dad would often air-pop some popcorn as well.

If we're also counting cartoons here, my other answer would be the Smurfs. I'd also catch the Gummy Bears before, but the Smurfs were the "must see" cartoon for me.
Cartoons certainty apply. I didn't include them myself because my viewing cartoons tended to be somewhat sporadic as opposed to must see. The Flintstones were mentioned earlier as a prime time program but there was another that was prime time as well, Top Cat. The problem with prime time viewing in our house was I was the youngest of three brothers by seven and twelve years. With only one tv and being just four in 1961 I typically lost out. I claimed Combat! because Tuesday night was my night so to speak.

Combat & Rat Patrol.
1592495115619.png

1592495211948.png

Other than cartoons, I'd have to go with Gunsmoke and, later, Mission Impossible. I'd park in front of the tv on the floor - head in hands - fixated on the boob tube when MI was on. Cool stuff. The only other must-see program I can think of would be All In the Family. Old school vs. new school.

It’s not my first show I watched consistently, but “Lost” changed the way I watch TV and the shows I gravitate to.

What is your first tv show? I don't mean what was the first show you remember watching, but the first one you got into and went out of your way to watch.

Mine is Combat! Aired from 1962-67, I was five when it first aired. Starting Rick Jason and Vic Morrow this hour long program is the longest running WWII drama ever. Not really what you would consider an action show although it did have action. The producers went out of their way to be authentic by employing military consultants. Most of the regular cast were WWII or military vets. For five seasons this poor band of "Kilroys" never fought their way out of France in a seemingly endless charge of recon missions. Great depiction of a bunch of weary, average Joe, dogfaces trying to accomplish their mission and survive both physically and mentally. Combat! made it feel personal and never glorified war. If you enjoy drama this program is well worth checking out.
Combat was on ABC on Tuesday nights. Vic Morrow as Sgt. Sanders must have racked up about 30 Purple Hearts. Every other show he ended up wounded after doing his usual heroic thing.

There were some excellent anthologies, most of which I was too young at the time to appreciate. Outer Limits was good sci-fi. The Inheritors episode I'd put up with my favorite Twilight Zones.
CBS Playhouse I'm just discovering.

I never got into some of the British ones though, like Quartermass or Dr. Who.

There were some excellent anthologies, most of which I was too young at the time to appreciate. Outer Limits was good sci-fi. The Inheritors episode I'd put up with my favorite Twilight Zones.
CBS Playhouse I'm just discovering.

I never got into some of the British ones though, like Quartermass or Dr. Who.
I watched Children of the Stones when I was kid. Scared me for months.

.... I never got into some of the British ones though, like Quartermass or Dr. Who.

BRITS ~~~~

I used to watch The Prisoner every once in awhile
(that's Lotus 7 he's driving )

AND -every chance that I could- The Avengers ~ Emma Peel

:>---

one of the few

Kind of ironic that Vic Morrow was killed making a war movie. And I think I was in love with Emma Peel -- must have been that black leather cat suit.