Benedictine 2020

WTF, 40 tickets?!? I have no interest in going but all varsity football parents should get at least 2 tickets to a game, home or away.

According to the stadium data base Green Street Stadium holds 3000 spectators: http://ohiostadiums.com/stadium.php?id=1549

15% of that would be 450 spectators. You mean to tell me that SVSM has 410 parents that need tickets? In these challenging times a fair amount would be 2 per player so if they dressed a large roster of 75 players that would be 150, who is getting the balance of the tickets? I am cool with band members and cheerleaders getting some tixs but the visitor's dressing players should at least get their folks into the stadium and then work back from there. Seems kind of selfish to me Irish Athletic Admin.

First off the state has mandated a maximum 60 man roster during Covid this year. The St V band are getting 2 tickets per student as well . The fact is they ARE using 410 and we are getting only 40 unfair ???

Continuing on the above comment the home team dictates the way you can use your 15% of capacity. We have 3 out of the last 5 games at home so WE can dictate the numbers then.

While sympathetic to the plight of the SVSM Athletic Administration there a couple things to consider:

1) I don't get the band getting a full allotment of tickets, this is a football game and everything else is a secondary. OK, Senior band parents I can see because of the dedication over the years but to not accommodate parents of players of the primary purpose of the event doesn't seem right.

2) $10 to stream isn't going to make or break anyone but for a parent of a player that seem to be salt in the wound. Maybe at least give these folks a code to use to stream the game gratis? It's not like SVSM is hurting for $s that they really need the revenue stream of what is now basically a pay per view event.

All I am saying is if there is a group of students or even worse alums using freshmen band parent tickets to get into a game will be bad optics.

As for the Benny home games... Euclid community stadium is a big place, published capacity is 6.0K so that means up to 900 tickets will be available for Benny home games. Along with the families of the Bengal players I hope we accommodate the visitors parents, after that I hope we offer students first dibs on the tickets and then us grumpy alums.

Last edited:
BY the way I checked out some of the stream of the Massillon v Ed's game from last week, Benny has a long way to go if they don't want to in a running clock with either of these teams when they play them. Now Massillon is the chalk to win Div 2 and Ed's is a top 5 Division 1 team so they are elite but because of some fakakta competitive balance equation Benny is now in Div 2 so they have to step up their game if they have state title aspirations. After watching the 1st game against WGH I am not sure if this team is at that place yet. I am looking forward to seeing improvement, especially along the OL and by the DBs, in tonight's game.

Last edited:
Rough 2nd qtr for Benny. Ton of penalties, and both lines getting pushed around. St V looks like the QB position is a struggle, have to put them in passing downs.

Rough 2nd qtr for Benny. Ton of penalties, and both lines getting pushed around. St V looks like the QB position is a struggle, have to put them in passing downs.
Much cleaner 3rd, flipped the script on the physicality front. Would be no excuses for losing this game now, STV looks incapable of throwing the football.

A few notes from Friday’s game against STVSM:

First, does anyone else find it odd that Bene has been playing without the stripe and Flying B on the helmets? I understand the players need to earn it, but the Flying B is a huge part of the tradition of the school and football program.

On to the game...Far too many procedural penalties on both sides of the ball in the first half. I don’t think the offense was able to convert a first down starting behind the sticks all night. However, they did clean it up in the second half.

I have not been a fan of the commitment to the pro style (under center) in attempt to establish the run game the past two weeks. Schultz is the most athletic QB Bene has had in years and putting him under center leaves the defense with one less person they need to account for. This will be exposed further in some of the matchups in the coming weeks, as well as teams they’ll see in the playoffs, that have more size and depth across the DLine.

In terms of the spread, zone run scheme—the QB needs to play a larger roll and has been highly underutilized. Not saying he needs 10 carries a game, but getting him more involved will force backside DE’s and LB’s to stop over pursuing the direction of the play. To add to that—when Shultz is not running the ball, he needs to do a better job carrying out his fakes to try and freeze backside defenders. With the athletes Bene has in the backfield, the slightest hesitation from a LB/DE can be the difference in a 5 yard run and a touchdown.

I was impressed with the conditioning of the Bengals tonight. What looked like a fairly even matchup in the first half turned lopsided as Bene was clearly in better shape and able to dominate the line of scrimmage in the 2nd half as SVSM faded.

The kicking game has been great and will be an important asset the rest of the season. Ivan hit a 43 yard FG with ease tonight which you don’t often see at the high school level.

All in all, solid start to the 2020 season.

The best part about being 2-0? The opportunity to go 3-0 next week.

Go Bengals

First, does anyone else find it odd that Bene has been playing without the stripe and Flying B on the helmets? I understand the players need to earn it, but the Flying B is a huge part of the tradition of the school and football program.

On to the game...Far too many procedural penalties on both sides of the ball in the first half. I don’t think the offense was able to convert a first down starting behind the sticks all night. However, they did clean it up in the second half.

I have not been a fan of the commitment to the pro style (under center) in attempt to establish the run game the past two weeks. Schultz is the most athletic QB Bene has had in years and putting him under center leaves the defense with one less person they need to account for. This will be exposed further in some of the matchups in the coming weeks, as well as teams they’ll see in the playoffs, that have more size and depth across the DLine.

In terms of the spread, zone run scheme—the QB needs to play a larger roll and has been highly underutilized. Not saying he needs 10 carries a game, but getting him more involved will force backside DE’s and LB’s to stop over pursuing the direction of the play. To add to that—when Shultz is not running the ball, he needs to do a better job carrying out his fakes to try and freeze backside defenders. With the athletes Bene has in the backfield, the slightest hesitation from a LB/DE can be the difference in a 5 yard run and a touchdown.

I was impressed with the conditioning of the Bengals tonight. What looked like a fairly even matchup in the first half turned lopsided as Bene was clearly in better shape and able to dominate the line of scrimmage in the 2nd half as SVSM faded.

The kicking game has been great and will be an important asset the rest of the season. Ivan hit a 43 yard FG with ease tonight which you don’t often see at the high school level.

Go Bengals
The flying B will be on next week we were anticipating a delivery of them to come by Friday but they didn't come in. We had some left over but not enough to enable the whole team to have them so no B tonight but they will be making there first appearance next week vs Hoban.

Go Bengals
Welcome-great summary. Some additional takes:
- SVSM Boxcast was weak. No commentator but glad they made it free! It’s all part of the new world. Hope Benny works on their production for next week.
- where are the B’s. Did program forget to order? Create a revive a tradition to cover up? Poor look for the program.
- As mentioned previously needed to #FreeLott. That worked out with record breaking type of night- 3 picks!
- Soph RB Jackson has all the tools to be a great one. Visions,hips, feet, speed. He will only get better.
-QB Schultz more big time plays down field. SVSM played 5-6 back every play. DE’s seem to be getting heavy rush.
-Penalties were brutal. 2nd qtr gave SV 2-3 1st downs. Hope they work on it in practice this week. Look undisciplined.
-Defense in early 1st Q & 2nd half was tough! Great adjustment. Led to 6-7 total turnovers!
- Overall another building block, Lott was GameChanger, Jackson at RB is a weapon, Defense shows some grit, QB Schultz has made the plays to keep in games.
-Scrimmages are over- Hoban next week will be another challenge. Clean up the small stuff and can start to look like a complete team, and maybe have a complete uniform next week!

Go Bengals!

A few takes on the game and broadcast:

-As the Bengals are learning to jell as a team, the coaches need to re-think their situational play calling. With the game in-hand late, there was no sense in running the double reverse, or in having our backup QB throw a pass which was nearly picked and stopped the clock.

-Nice adjustments to the running game at halftime.

-The prevent defense isn't working. Too much space for these talented kids. We pretty much stopped them cold the second half. Didn't need it. Don't like the late momentum swings.

-Anybody find it odd that on the on-side kick our team was heavily loaded to the right? SVSM had their squad loaded with 7 to our left counting the kicker. As a left-footed kicker he could easily have swiped the ball right. In fact, he kicked the ball deep to the right.

-I'm out-of-state, so I set up my $10 BoxCast early. Beyond thankful for being able to watch the game, the quality was terrible.

-I gave BoxCast a critique to pass on to SVSM. It was like watching an ant farm. Only a shot from 35,000 ft., and nothing distinguishable. Couldn't see the ball in the air or whether it was complete/incomplete pass, or the refs signals. Recommended using a zoom when the field is condensed to 25 yds. or less, and zoom/focus when checking the scoreboard. A correct score and time left in the quarter would be appreciated as well. Understanding this is a recent method for generating income for the schools, they need to make it more of a production.......like how about standing on a platform or using a taller tripod so people moving about and standing to cheer don't completely block the play? Was limiting our tickets a ruse to force more of the BHS faithful to buy the game?

-I seem to recall that "The Flying B" was once voted the coolest emblem in either Northeast Ohio or the entire State. I hope its' absence is a stocking issue and not that the guys have to earn it at the varsity level. I have to believe it would be a boost for the guys. Look at what the lack of an emblem has done to the play of the Browns! LOL

Go Bengals!

I was wondering if that would be a factor, I was trying to pay attention who for St V might be going both ways, but it was difficult on that stream. Their roster is pretty small, and I know last year they had a lot of kids playing both ways. The Irish still look nothing like the program we'd gotten used to seeing, and their QB play looks like it's going to be well below par this season. Benny looks like they can be very good if they can cut down on some of the lapses, and the situational game management last night was curious at times. It took them a half last night to realize they should just be loading up to play the run. Both teams gave up too many long kick returns.

-I gave BoxCast a critique to pass on to SVSM. It was like watching an ant farm. Only a shot from 35,000 ft., and nothing distinguishable. Couldn't see the ball in the air or whether it was complete/incomplete pass, or the refs signals. Recommended using a zoom when the field is condensed to 25 yds. or less, and zoom/focus when checking the scoreboard. A correct score and time left in the quarter would be appreciated as well. Understanding this is a recent method for generating income for the schools, they need to make it more of a production.......like how about standing on a platform or using a taller tripod so people moving about and standing to cheer don't completely block the play? Was limiting our tickets a ruse to force more of the BHS faithful to buy the game?
Yeah, that was rough. At least they decided to offer it for free, because it wasn't worth 10 cents, let alone $10. I realize some schools are getting into this for the first time, but it shouldn't be too much to ask to focus & zoom the camera correctly, and get the correct score on your graphics. If you check out Eds' game stream tonight, that example should be the standard expectation. I took in a little of St X/Lasalle last night, and that was the best stream production I've ever seen.

I watched the Hoban @ St Eds game. I’m not really sure how the Bengals even prepare for Hoban . 35-0 Winner . Defense has it all. Offense so many weapons . Going to be a real tough one .

I watched the Hoban @ St Eds game. I’m not really sure how the Bengals even prepare for Hoban . 35-0 Winner . Defense has it all. Offense so many weapons . Going to be a real tough one .
I figured that game tonight would at least be a physical and emotional grinder, and Benny would then benefit from getting Hoban on a short week. Maybe not.

Hoban is a program on a mission and I do not expect any kind of a let down this week from the Knights, could be challenging Pic Central as the best team in the state regardless of Division.

What I do want to see from Benny is how they handle the challenge, especially from the lines. In particular I think the OL has underperformed so far this year; the Ed's QB was under constant pressure this past Saturday, if Shultz is under constant pressure this could get ugly very quickly. Benny will need to score points to keep it from a running clock, hopefully that will be the case and they can take home a moral victory heading into a roadie at Massillon. One thing is for sure, we will know where things stand with their aspirations in the Division after this two week stretch.

The Benedictine Bengals host the Archbishop Hoban Knights on Friday, 09/11/2020 at 7PM at
Euclid Community Stadium. You can watch the broadcast here.

Interesting Uni development, the Freshmen team moves away from the Flying "B" and gets their own helmet decal>
119140932_3994066440608437_6987893006214418931_o.jpg

31-24 Benedictine loses to Hoban. Refs made the ending of this one confusing .
They were one incompetent bunch, led by the head ref who was a clown about 25 years past his officiating prime. Hoban declined that 3rd down penalty on Benny's last possession, but they never changed the down marker. The refs didn't make sure to communicate the down to everybody, and Hoban were the only ones who seemed to know what down it was. They were about to give Benny a 5th down before Tyrrell colorfully pointed it out.

Anyway, very impressed with Benny. They're talented, QB is an excellent player, and Bengals fans should feel good about how deep they can go. Also, that was the sloppiest, most undisciplined game I've seen Hoban play since 2015. Not surprising to play a little flat after last week, and Benny had a part in that, but that was pretty ugly from the Knights.

An excellent effort by our Bengals. If we keep playing with that intensity we'll see them again. Love it when a "loaded" team loses their cool because they're being challenged. I didn't notice any letdown from Hoban; they made enough big plays. The Bennies just hung with them hit-for-hit and slowed down the game enough to keep the defense anxious.

Five confused officials, at least two of which need to understand the definition of a horse collar. Spotted two of them on separate drives.

Go Bengals.

An excellent effort by our Bengals. If we keep playing with that intensity we'll see them again. Love it when a "loaded" team loses their cool because they're being challenged. I didn't notice any letdown from Hoban; they made enough big plays. The Bennies just hung with them hit-for-hit and slowed down the game enough to keep the defense anxious.

Five confused officials, at least two of which need to understand the definition of a horse collar. Spotted two of them on separate drives.

Go Bengals.
I think Hoban's D got a little full of themselves after last week, and definitely played a flat first half. They were much better in the 2nd half, but still committed stupid penalties. They made some big plays on offense, but those 2 late turnovers were brutal, it's what gave Benny a chance in the 4th. I thought Benny was great, they played with more juice than Hoban, and hung with them physically in a way most teams don't. Wouldn't be surprised at all if they win at least 2 of their last 3.

Few thoughts from the Hoban game:

The quality of coaching between the offense and defense is growing more and more noticeable. I thought Prevesk called his best game as offensive coordinator. He was creative and took advantage of an over aggressive Hoban defense. Also looks like he took my advice from after the SVSM game and got the QB more involved in the run game which proved to be very effective.

The defense on the other hand was disappointing to say the least. Hoban scoring 31 was not an accurate representation of how the defense played. It easily, and should have, have been 40+. The part that drives me crazy about the defense is that they try to run the “Gregg Williams defense.” Which puts a single safety 20+ yards off the line of scrimmage making him a non-factor on a majority of plays. Bene was essentially playing 11 v 10 on defense most of the night and you could see that by how wide open the middle of the field was on almost every passing play. Against bad teams like SVSM this strategy worked because the free safety could bate the below average QB into making mistakes, but against a good team with a good QB this defense will continually get picked apart.

Proud of how the guys fought and never gave up after some big plays by Hoban, but this team definitely has some work to do if they want to make a deep run in D2.

Go Bengals