Doubledribble, the AARP Boys and Diva

I don't own a truing stand (can't bring myself to spend that much $), but I have a spoke tensiometer which at least helps ensure that I have the spokes set

Turn bike upside down, use break pads and a dollar spoke wrench to true. Rubber mallet if needed on steel rims. Always seemed to work fine. You got me interested so I went into the garage. Such skinny tires! And old fashioned cage clips.

My husband would be itching to join this conversation. He's training for an Ironman, if you remember. He rode 80 miles after swimming 1.4 miles on the morning. Then he came home and ran a 5k.

I ride with him twice a week and swim once a week, a mile. I'm running when I can but the tendon is still a knot. Probably always will be but I'll live with it.

You RVers, watch my favorite movie, "The Long, Long Trailer" starring Lucy and Desi. Maybe someday we'll actually be able to travel again! Florida is calling to my husband and me, Gulf Breeze. We're saving lots of money, though, by not being able to go anywhere.

I hope you're all okay. These are tough times. I pray a lot more.

I trained for a half iron-man. For a week. Swimming? really? back and forth back and forth. If the scenery would change, I probably could have gotten into it.

Just do a bit of cleaning/degreasing/de-rusting of parts, and it'll look like new. A clean bike is a happy bike. A happy bike is a fast bike. A fast bike is a bike you'll want to ride.

I got it out and washed it down. a few paint scrapes. Shimanos, Avocet seat,... some rust. Still has some sensors attached for pedal reps and generator. Wonder where those are. Probably with the pedals. I'd turned the bars sideways and removed the pedals for transport apparently. Wheels were true, rolled nicely, pumped back up with the double action pump still on the bike, which broke. lol

Might be worth a weekend project to see if I can find the rest of it. Here's one I really miss, photo not mine. Puch Marco Polo, stolen. 531, Suntour components. Tracked truer than any bike I ever had.
Puch_Marco_Polo2.png

I got it out and washed it down. a few paint scrapes. Shimanos, Avocet seat,... some rust. Still has some sensors attached for pedal reps and generator. Wonder where those are. Probably with the pedals. I'd turned the bars sideways and removed the pedals for transport apparently. Wheels were true, rolled nicely, pumped back up with the double action pump still on the bike, which broke. lol

Might be worth a weekend project to see if I can find the rest of it. Here's one I really miss, photo not mine. Puch Marco Polo, stolen. 531, Suntour components. Tracked truer than any bike I ever had.
View attachment 9058
Nice-looking Puch in the pic, even if it's not yours. I have very little experience w/ cantilever brakes and even less w/ Dia Compe center pull brakes. They have a somewhat aesthetically pleasing look to them that the the linear pull V-brakes, side pulls, and dual pivot brakes I'm most accustomed to don't have.

What's your current bike, if you don't me asking?

I've got 3 bikes:
'03 Giant Boulder SE mountain bike - 3x7 speed. College grad present. About the only parts on it that are stock are the handlebars, stem, shifters, brake levers, and derailleurs. Everything else has been replaced a time or 2. Just put more $ into it this spring than I expected. Replaced all the drivetrain parts and then discovered a crack in 1 of the rims, so I also bought a new wheelset w/ a higher spoke count. Front derailleur might be swapped out soon. Lucked into a better one as part of a random lot of tools and parts I found on eBay. If I don't use it, I can sell it and basically get back all that I paid for the lot.

'05 Cannondale CAAD 8 road bike - 3x9 speed. Bought used on eBay in 2013 Love it! It's basically my version of a "rag top." It only comes out in nice weather. It was the right size, and I'd always wanted a Cannondale. All the markings indicate it was handmade in the USA. Aside from a recent saga with the crank bolt working its way loose a few times before I finally gave up and applied threadlocker blue to solve the problem, the bike rides terrific.

'97 Trek 1220 road/touring bike - 3x7 speed. Given to me by a fellow rider who had it sitting in his basement and must've felt sorry for me cuz I had been riding a mid-80s Fuji Ace which was slightly too small for me. That steel frame offered a very smooth ride on the rough chip and seal roads of farm country not too far away from where I live. It also had downtube shifters which I only liked b/c they taught me how to judge a climb properly in order to be in the right gear to make it up cuz there's no way to shift it when you're out of the saddle. After getting the Trek, I gave the Fuji to a fellow rider who was looking to convert something into a singlespeed. I wish I'd kept the freewheel tool I bought for it. I learned the bike had 1 more owner before it disappeared from a local co-op that went under while the bike was there. Anyhow, crashed the Trek in 2013 and bent the front brake bolt. Couldn't find an exact replacement and didn't feel too confident in the bike after using some different hardware to reattach the front brake caliper. Rode it inside on the trainer a few times. Otherwise, it sat in the garage until this summer when I got the bright idea to upgrade the components and try to modernize it. Theoretically, I could put the stuff on the Cannondale and move the Cannondale parts to this bike to upgrade 2 bikes at once, but I'll leave well enough alone on the Cannondale. Even so, I decided to think bigger w/ this bike and considered doing a new DIY "rattle can" paint job until I came to my senses and realized it's not terribly expensive to get a frame and fork professionally blasted and either painted or powder coated. I'm awaiting that part of the project to be completed. If you figure all the supplies (tape, various grits of sandpaper, primer, clear coat, and an entry level mask that'll keep you from painting your lungs) and all the time required to properly sand the frame to bare metal (chemical paint stripper is harmful stuff) and then sanding a few more times along the way, it didn't seem worth DIYing. Additionally, figuring in 2 coats of primer, at least 2 coats of paint, and 2 clear coats, and that's a lot of opportunities for someone lacking patience and a steady hand to screw up the entire job. It took long enough to sand and repaint 2 lousy H2O bottle cages. The satisfaction of DIYing has no value to me if it drives me crazy, so finding a pro is worth every penny, IMHO. Got all the custom made vinyl transfer decals I needed for $20 via eBay. If all goes according to plan, it'll be a 2x10 speed full Shimano Ultegra drivetrain when I'm done with it plus new drop bars and a threadless stem adaptation. The wheels are subpar, but I'll ride them until they break before upgrading. Might not take too long w/ my track record of bike wheels vs. the streets in my city.

Incidentally, I hope to have scored extra karma on Tues. morning by replacing a punctured tube for a lady at a trailhead parking lot who was almost ready to ride when she noticed her front tire was flat. She had all the tools to fix a flat on the road but no idea how to use them which was evident when she tried to unthread a CO2 cartridge that had been tapped but hadn't been expelled - "BOOM!" It sounded like a shotgun blast and sent the cartridge and inflator parts flying through the parking lot. Thankfully, it missed hitting anyone or anything. The wheel had a wide rim, so no levers were needed to re-seat the tire. Also, I keep a floor pump in my car which I produced to make the job even easier. She offered me money, but I refused and told her I'm paying it forward for all the times my friends fixed my bike when I first got into riding. It was also the first time I got to fiddle w/ a bike that had disc brakes and a thru axle, so good experience for me. I'm so used to not being able to fully inflate the tire until after remounting the wheel, so that the tire can squeeze in between the brake pads.

Nice-looking Puch in the pic, even if it's not yours. I have very little experience w/ cantilever brakes and even less w/ Dia Compe center pull brakes. They have a somewhat aesthetically pleasing look to them that the the linear pull V-brakes, side pulls, and dual pivot brakes I'm most accustomed to don't have.

What's your current bike, if you don't me asking?

I didn't have a good photo of my old bike, that was the closest I good find. Yeah, it was pretty. Almost bought a Raleigh. Now THAT was a pretty bike. The components were pretty. Even I looked pretty on it.

That Trek been sitting in the garage for 25 years, lol. Doesn't interest me much anymore. Tried mountain biking, didn't appeal. Don't have a social circle that bikes. Love a good hike.

I'm glad I was in biking. As old fart I have NO ankle, knee, hip issues. No grinds, pains.... Occasional lower back, sciatica issues and Starting to lose the metabolism battle but no weight, heart or blood pressure issues. Heart while biking could get very low, below 50 regular. Still runs low. Not sure that would be true if I'd been a runner, particularly given I never ascribed to a particularly good diet.

Trini Lopez has died (age 83) / reported that he had Covid-19
I was surprised to learn that, due to Lopez' popularity in the early 1960's, the Gibson guitar company asked Lopez to design a signature model for them. He came up with the Trini Lopez Standard, which I understand is a collector's item and played by some of today's younger successful rockers.

Seeing your name up there next to Les Paul? Priceless! RIP, Trini.

I'm glad I was in biking. As old fart I have NO ankle, knee, hip issues. No grinds, pains.... Occasional lower back, sciatica issues and Starting to lose the metabolism battle but no weight, heart or blood pressure issues. Heart while biking could get very low, below 50 regular. Still runs low. Not sure that would be true if I'd been a runner, particularly given I never ascribed to a particularly good diet.
One of my co-workers picked up serious cycling when he was in his mid to late 40's. He wasn't a big guy, but had a definite gut, which he lost over the next few years. Told he he was logging 3000 miles a year, and was moving toward 5000 miles.. I was glad to see him get in very good physical shape by the time he retired, but he ended up having both hips replaced soon afterward. I assumed it was from the biking, because of the high mileage in a fairly short time after being somewhat sedentary the prior 10 or 15 years. Still, it was probably a good trade-off if it keeps his ticker and blood pressure in good shape.

I didn't have a good photo of my old bike, that was the closest I good find. Yeah, it was pretty. Almost bought a Raleigh. Now THAT was a pretty bike. The components were pretty. Even I looked pretty on it.

That Trek been sitting in the garage for 25 years, lol. Doesn't interest me much anymore. Tried mountain biking, didn't appeal. Don't have a social circle that bikes. Love a good hike.

My body is pretty broken down already after 25 years of running, and I'm not particularly old by most standards. I was good until about age 29, and then as NEO hero Bernie Kosar said, "once the injuries start, they never stop." If you labeled the Wheel of Fortune spaces w/ body parts, whatever body part the wheel landed on, would be what hurts for that day. It's rarely the same thing for more than a day or 2 at a time.

One of my co-workers picked up serious cycling when he was in his mid to late 40's. He wasn't a big guy, but had a definite gut, which he lost over the next few years. Told he he was logging 3000 miles a year, and was moving toward 5000 miles.. I was glad to see him get in very good physical shape by the time he retired, but he ended up having both hips replaced soon afterward. I assumed it was from the biking, because of the high mileage in a fairly short time after being somewhat sedentary the prior 10 or 15 years. Still, it was probably a good trade-off if it keeps his ticker and blood pressure in good shape.

Sounds like my dad. He's been told by an orthopedic surgeon that he'll eventually need his hips replaced, but he got his BP out of the stroke range (BP most likely got there due to his job which he retired from 5 or 6 yrs. ago) and may very well not be around today if he hadn't re-discovered bike riding in his early 50s.

My biggest year on the bike yielded 11,400 miles in 2007. I rode everywhere that year and rode w/ the local club which made it easier to want to get up and do it. I rode my bike to all the club rides I did that year. I could do 3 or 4 club rides in a day and still feel good enough to run a few miles to finish off the day. Not even a year later, my ability to recover started to plummet. I'd occasionally eke out 2 rides in a day but not 3 or 4. I still love bike riding for the non-weight bearing aspect, and I get to go places and see things I would never go or see while driving in a car.

Last edited:
I have three bikes- my first Trek that's on my trainer now, a Bianchi, and a Yamaha electric bikei ride when I need to keep up with my husband. He has three, too - a triathlon bike, a titanium bike, and something else I don't know what.

I agree with eastisbest in that swimming is boring. I do a mile every Saturday, that's it. I don't have the mental capacity to train for anything longer than a sprint triathlon. I have other things to do in my life. I wish I could, but I'd go nuts on the bike for hours.

Now running I do enjoy. Hubby got up at 5 and is doing 18 miles before he works. I'll go do a 5k. My tendon still is messed up, so I have to be careful of that.

So far, Ironman Florida is not cancelled, but I think it will be. It's supposed to be held on Nov. 7. He's training until he hears otherwise.

I like to ride my bike into Indiana on the back roads. Everything is chip and sealed these days which makes for rough riding. Several years ago I wrecked when my front tire skidded in melted tar....so I can't complain too much about the chip and seal.

I have a Raleigh. it's slightly heavier than what I wish, but for the back roads, that weight probably helps me keep it upright!

I'll probably ride about 20 miles this afternoon/evening.

Breaking Away came out not long after I moved to Indiana for school. So you KNOW biking became a thing. Being from Toledo, hills were a concept to me. I'd wondered why they put so many gears on that cog.

Good luck to Diva and Divo on their training health. 18 miles smh. They invented "cars." :D

I like to ride my bike into Indiana on the back roads. Everything is chip and sealed these days which makes for rough riding. Several years ago I wrecked when my front tire skidded in melted tar....so I can't complain too much about the chip and seal.

I have a Raleigh. it's slightly heavier than what I wish, but for the back roads, that weight probably helps me keep it upright!

I'll probably ride about 20 miles this afternoon/evening.
I've ridden into Indiana once just to say I did it, probably from around where you live. Spent a few days at Grand Lake St. Marys SP and rode around the area: 1 ride around the lake, 1 ride around the areas south of the lake (Maria Stein, Osgood, Ft. Loramie, Minster, New Bremen), and 1 ride around western Mercer County (Coldwater, St. Henry, Fort Recovery, and back through Coldwater and Celina). After stopping for ice cream at the drug store in Ft. Recovery, I rode the state hwy west out of town until I eventually found roads that didn't look like they'd suddenly turn into chip and seal on me in order to go north and then east back into Ohio. I spent about 4 miles in the Hoosier State. That 3-day trip yielded some good riding. Much flatter than what I'm used to in NE Ohio which was OK with me (I'm right on the border b/w Appalachia and the glaciers' southernmost point of advancement), but the roads were in good shape, and I had no trouble with motorists.

I crashed my mtb on our local crushed limestone multi-use trail 2 months ago. There's a sharp right turn where the trail goes downhill to sneak under the highway next to the river. They recently put a layer of chip and seal on that short section of trail in order to improve its durability on the rare occasions when the river overflows its banks at that spot. Admittedly, I was speeding on the trail (unposted speed limit is 15mph). I'm not sure if I locked up the brakes too hard to slow down while turning or if I just caught a big patch of loose gravel, but I ended up on the ground still clipped into my pedals with the bike facing nearly 135 degrees from the direction I was trying to go. Sustained a few scrapes, but the biggest loss was my bike computer had popped off, and I didn't notice it was missing until a few days later. Thankfully, nobody saw me crash, so I was spared that additional embarrassment.

Crash stories!!!!

turns at the bottom of downhill gravels... should be a law. I met one of those in college, of course using the downhill for a speed thrill not realizing the gravel turn. And this on a narrowed wheeled ten speed.

Nurse goes to get the gravel out of my right side, pulls out one of those green pot scrubbing pads. She says this will hurt but will keep the wound from leaking. I said, "I'll leak."

Crash stories!!!!
turns at the bottom of downhill gravels... should be a law. I met one of those in college, of course using the downhill for a speed thrill not realizing the gravel turn. And this on a narrowed wheeled ten speed.
No control over the sitcheeyation, huh? First thing that popped into my head. This one's a pretty good Nugent cover.

So high school football is starting tonight. I'm glad to hear it.

How are you all? It's a tough time in the world. I hope you're finding a way to find peace in your life.

So high school football is starting tonight. I'm glad to hear it.

How are you all? It's a tough time in the world. I hope you're finding a way to find peace in your life.
Nothing but turmoil in the Zunardo household. Mrs. Z is gearing up to retire in six weeks, and I've resigned myself to not being able to come and go thru the house as I please during the day. :eek:

My high school team is on the road tonight, and we just got word the home school is broadcasting live, so I may watch that. Will have to nuke some popcorn and hot chocolate and pretend I got them at the visitors concession stand, and sit on some hard wooden boards to simulate the feel of being in the stands .....

Z's gonna have to start wearing pants.

My neighborhood won't play until October. I should go out but maybe i'll try to find something streaming and stay in. I'd really like to watch that St Ed-Massillon but can't get myself to pay money.

I miss football.

What's going on that you can't walk through the house, Zunardo? That doesn't sound good.

My husband, who usually travels every week for a few days for work, has been home since March except for two overnight trips. I was afraid I'd really have a problem when he retires because I'm quite used to being alone, but it's been fine with him home. Now if he'd quit trying to convince me to move somewhere hot...

Never try to convince spouse to move to warm weather when we're having warm weather. Wait for the drifts... I wouldn't trade Spring here around the Great Lakes for anywhere I've been and that's considerable comparison. It's so easy to forget exactly how unique it is here.

I love it here. The fall is my favorite season by far. My street is tree-lined with glorious mature trees that explode with color if the conditions were good, which is the norm. Hot chocolate and sugar cookies, chili and soups, breads, all the wonderful things I make when the weather turns cool. I'm ready.

But first I have a triathlon this Saturday.

I'll be sore for three days after reading this. I better get a deep-tissue massage and carb up.

Hope you run/bike/swim your competitors into submission and take the crown!

I love it here. The fall is my favorite season by far. My street is tree-lined with glorious mature trees that explode with color if the conditions were good, which is the norm. Hot chocolate and sugar cookies, chili and soups, breads, all the wonderful things I make when the weather turns cool. I'm ready.

Best of luck to you. What distance?

It was a sprint distance, Mr. Slippery.

I got first in my age group which shocked me because I got lost on the bike and did 3.3 miles more than I should have. The kid who was "counting" my laps counted wrong and I had to do 11 instead of ten. (He miscounted the woman's next to me, too.)

My husband got second in his age group because there's a guy who's there every year who beats him by a few minutes. Thank you for asking ?.

We heard yesterday that Ironman Florida is on, so hubby is doing five + more hours on the bike today. I have to admit, I'll be glad when I can get my husband back. Training takes up most of his spare time at this point. I support him 100% and he knows that; but I'm ready for Nov. 7 to be over. I'm volunteering for the race so I'll have something to do since I won't be seeing him much over the course of 2.4 miles swimming in the Gulf, 112 miles on the bike, then 26.2 mile marathon run after that.

Last night when I was in my raspberry patch, I could hear the high school football announcer. I miss going to the games. We went to all the home games and most of the away games since our four kids were the band. None were ever on the field; just musicians. One son was the Field Commander for two years, which he loved. I really enjoyed watching the band. I do miss those years, but not sitting in the freezing stands toward the end of football season.

I understand kids only get two tickets now, and parents have to socially distance in the stands. Outside.

I'm exhausted, I admit.

It was a sprint distance, Mr. Slippery.

I got first in my age group which shocked me because I got lost on the bike and did 3.3 miles more than I should have. The kid who was "counting" my laps counted wrong and I had to do 11 instead of ten. (He miscounted the woman's next to me, too.)

My husband got second in his age group because there's a guy who's there every year who beats him by a few minutes. Thank you for asking ?.

We heard yesterday that Ironman Florida is on, so hubby is doing five + more hours on the bike today. I have to admit, I'll be glad when I can get my husband back. Training takes up most of his spare time at this point. I support him 100% and he knows that; but I'm ready for Nov. 7 to be over. I'm volunteering for the race so I'll have something to do since I won't be seeing him much over the course of 2.4 miles swimming in the Gulf, 112 miles on the bike, then 26.2 mile marathon run after that.

Last night when I was in my raspberry patch, I could hear the high school football announcer. I miss going to the games. We went to all the home games and most of the away games since our four kids were the band. None were ever on the field; just musicians. One son was the Field Commander for two years, which he loved. I really enjoyed watching the band. I do miss those years, but not sitting in the freezing stands toward the end of football season.

I understand kids only get two tickets now, and parents have to socially distance in the stands. Outside.

I'm exhausted, I admit.
Congratulations on the age group "W!"

I'm eager to get back to competing (running), but I can't log enough consistent training to feel good about it - too many plates spinning in the air right now. I'll be old enough for Masters' competition later this fall, but that division has gone by the wayside at most races due to the smaller field of entrants.

I kept football stats for the previous 6 seasons but hung it up this summer. It was fun for awhile. I liked road games best. I enjoyed the travel, and I was always curious to see what other schools' facilities were like. Got to do 3 state title games from the coaches' box at the 'Shoe. At least 2 of the 3 were from the OSU coaches' box. I can't stand OSU football, but it was still a great thrill to be in the 'Shoe. It just felt different being on the sideline during pregame warmups for those games. As for the view from the coaches' booth at the 'Shoe, the players look like ants from up there.

Over time, the job became less enjoyable. Fans were spoiled by that 3-year run and began to view winning and making the playoffs as an entitlement. It got old listening to all of that chatter. The schedules got tougher, too. When you're an independent program with a little bit of recent success, you'll only get to play bigger schools and schools who are in even more desperate need of either a game or a guaranteed payout (some teams will gladly come to your stadium and take a beating if the price is right). Also, the duties expanded to the point where the job was only 1/2 done when the game ended. Factor everything in, and it was paying less than minimum wage and wasn't fun any longer. It was time to move on. I won't miss it. I may attend some more games in the future, but I won't be sitting in the press box.