When will AAU be back in Ohio?

Unfortunately you had a bad experience with some of the fine AAU programs. Most seem to teach the game and know the game far better than the high school coaches do at the high school level - at least that is what many parents and players say. AAU can be a great opportunity to get better and more importantly play a game they love. Too many though believe it is their ticket to a scholarship. I would keep reffing those games and maybe your quality officiating can help change negatives to positives.

Officials all over reading this and saying...

"where is this AAU competition that he speaks of?"

TNBA has had weekend “scrimmages “ every weekend since July 5. 5th was 1 day event at all pro in Avon , July 10-12 at lost nations in Lorain and Willoughby , All Pro faculty in Avon and Force Sports , July 17-19 at All pro, Lost nation west , NEO Sports plant , and Force sports. July 24-26 - same courts August 1-2. Avon high school , Avon middle and those same other courts Ohio basketball has had weekend events on the same weekends playing at Swish Hinckley, 3D center, and other locations. Columbus had tourneys as did Salem . Varsity Ac has also had events . They are happening In Ohio just not called tourneys . Each team usually plays 4 games. Look it up on their apps or google their programs

The local "open runs" in July followed all state and local guidelines.
Temp check on the way in. Mask's for all including ref's and coaches during games.
Social distancing in spectator area. Only 2 could attend.

Basketball is not listed in the "contact" sports where scrimmages have been suspended. Those sports included football, field hockey and soccer.
I believe there were 3 levels of sports. Contact as described above, non contact like golf and tennis and semi-contact such as volleyball and basketball.

I expect most school fall sports to be cancelled since many schools going remote have cancelled already. The schools that are not going remote will run out of opponents. For sports like soccer, volleyball, basketball, etc - teams will form at local clubs and they will have these open run types of events most likely.

When all this is done, and it probably won't be until 2022 - high school sports will probably be a lot different.
I could see it moving away from the schools and being all "club"

Temp check on the way in. Mask's for all including ref's and coaches during games.
Sports starting fall of 2021 , maybe. Club Sports, not happening, with maybe a few exceptions.
Basketball is not listed in the "contact" sports where scrimmages have been suspended. Those sports included football, field hockey and soccer.
I believe there were 3 levels of sports. Contact as described above, non contact like golf and tennis and semi-contact such as volleyball and basketball.

I expect most school fall sports to be cancelled since many schools going remote have cancelled already. The schools that are not going remote will run out of opponents. For sports like soccer, volleyball, basketball, etc - teams will form at local clubs and they will have these open run types of events most likely.

When all this is done, and it probably won't be until 2022 - high school sports will probably be a lot different.

Sports starting Fall of 2021 , maybe. Club Sports, not happening, with maybe a few exceptions.

High School Football will remain the same. Sports like gymastics and soccer are already seeing athletes not play for their high schools in lieu of their club teams. Now take away volleyball, basketball, and baseball for this school year and maybe even next school year - the players may not go back to the high school teams.

Somebody needs to read the ODH order. Basketball is absolutely listed as a contact sport. These games are not allowed per the ODH. Just because you call it a scrimmage, doesn't make it a scrimmage.

High School Football will remain the same. Sports like gymastics and soccer are already seeing athletes not play for their high schools in lieu of their club teams. Now take away volleyball, basketball, and baseball for this school year and maybe even next school year - the players may not go back to the high school teams.
And everyone gets a ribbon and trophy in club sports. Amazing. Wow

For the record, I had my temperature checked at the door every time I entered the facility at the games I officiated. And when I’m not working I had to put my mask on and breathe in all the toxins from my sweaty hands touching the mask over and over.

Yes but these tournaments aren’t testing athletes prior to playing so technically they aren’t following the order. However, who is the governing body that is going to hold them accountable?
Gov said during a recent press conference testing was not required for youth and high school athletes. Order is being followed.

Gov said during a recent press conference testing was not required for youth and high school athletes. Order is being followed.

No he didn't. He said he didn't expect testing to be required if he approves contact sports for play. But right now any contact sport that is being played technically requires a negative test by each player with 72 hours prior. Again, no one is enforcing these rules for youth basketball events.

No he didn't. He said he didn't expect testing to be required if he approves contact sports for play. But right now any contact sport that is being played technically requires a negative test by each player with 72 hours prior. Again, no one is enforcing these rules for youth basketball events.
[/QUOTE}
Not correct:

https://www.cleveland.com/highschoo...-sports-through-july-15-under-guidelines.html I've watched about 50 games this summer. This order was extended each weak and still stands. more games this upcoming weekend.
Read the requirements of this. All athletes must be tested within 72 hours of the contest and be quarantined from time of test until playing. I am sure this is not being done.

Two very good officials I know were in an AAU-type game recently where they assessed technical fouls to the head coach for getting called cheaters (TF #1) and racists (TF #2). Mind you, these comments would get any coach tossed out of a real high school game, so it should be no surprise that the same would apply when the officials are working for $25.

The head coach pulled his team off the court, so the officials left as well. The court supervisor, who fully supported the ejection, went into the officials’ dressing room and asked them to finish the game absent the head coach. They grudgingly obliged.

Come the end of the tournament, the tournament director “banned” those two referees because “it’s a bad look to the college coaches to have all these technical fouls being assessed.” In other words, he wants to keep the gravy train flowing from that program. He doesn’t give two craps about the quality of officiating he gets and he doesn't care about the behavior of the teams.

If you don’t think these events are money grabs, you’re only kidding yourself.

Last edited:
Two very good officials I know were in an AAU-type game recently where they assessed technical fouls to the head coach for getting called cheaters (TF #1) and racists (TF #2). Mind you, these comments would get any coach tossed out of a real high school game, so it should be no surprise that the same would apply when the officials are working for $25.

The head coach pulled his team off the court, so the officials left as well. The court supervisor, who fully supported the ejection, went into the officials’ dressing room and asked them to finish the game absent the head coach. They grudgingly obliged.

Come the end of the tournament, the tournament director “banned” those two referees because “it’s a bad look to the college coaches to have all these technical fouls being assessed.” In other words, he wants to keep the gravy train flowing from that program. He doesn’t give two craps about the quality of officiating he gets and he doesn't care about the behavior of the teams.

If you don’t think these events are money grabs, you’re only kidding yourself.

And none (or not enough) of the other officials will have the balls to tell the TD or the assigner to stuff it when he comes calling next year.

And none (or not enough) of the other officials will have the balls to tell the TD or the assigner to stuff it when he comes calling next year.
The TD pretty much admitted that going forward he wants street ball refs who don't know what they're doing, thus won't "rock the boat" by taking care of business. The assigner himself is one of those street ball refs who just wants to keep the gig. All the "real" varsity and college caliber officials who were working the event that I know of have said they won't work those events anymore. We'll see how many wreck ball guys will sell their souls - I have a feeling you will be correct.

The funny thing is, in a few weeks the group is having another tournament and a college assigner is having his camp in conjunction. Would love to see his reaction when he sees how much tighter those games are called than typical AAU games. I can guarantee you none of those officials nor the assigner for that camp will put up with getting called cheaters or racists.

Definitely a money grab for all involved. Officials included.
100 percent correct. We call referees who sell their souls to these tournaments “game whores.” Most of them are guys/gals who aren't sniffing varsity games.

I was happy to do a few games recently due to my rustiness thanks to COVID, missing my friends, and, yes, the money was good enough for me. I also accepted the games under the explicit condition that I would not be told how to call the games by people (i.e. TDs) with no officiating experience and conflicting interests. My games had some issues which I took care of and was fully supported.

Unfortunately the same cannot be said for these two officials.

The group is Phenom Hoop Report.

Note that this tournament was in a different state so there’d be no reason to out the assigner as it wouldn’t affect any officials who read this forum. (I’ve moved around so I have officiating connections all over.)

Have friends down that way that won't touch them with a 10ft pole.

100 percent correct. We call referees who sell their souls to these tournaments “game whores.” Most of them are guys/gals who aren't sniffing varsity games.

I was happy to do a few games recently due to my rustiness thanks to COVID, missing my friends, and, yes, the money was good enough for me. I also accepted the games under the explicit condition that I would not be told how to call the games by people (i.e. TDs) with no officiating experience and conflicting interests. My games had some issues which I took care of and was fully supported.

Unfortunately the same cannot be said for these two officials.
I would disagree slightly. I have attended, worked, organized and ran such events and I regularly see varsity refs at these events. I also see beginners and whistle blowers without certification but definitely see a lot of varsity refs.

If the two in the example did what they felt was correct, then deal with the results and walk away. The games will go on with or without them.