Mike DeWine 2pm Briefing Thursday Aug. 13

ElderHSfan02

Today has to be decision day for contact sports competition right? He talked about schools on Tuesday. Sports has to come next today? Soccer season starts next week. Football is 2 weeks out. Athletic directors are working overtime trying to get new schedules finished. He cannot delay this any longer.

I am hoping that the decisions of the SEC, ACC, Big12, and AAC help with the "green light" to start contact sports in the fall. If he cancels/moves to spring, the B1G gave him the out. If he approves, the B1G looks silly.

At this point, it’s too late to cancel. He will probably green light soccer and then still say stupid stuff about football like “we’re going to wait longer”.

If he cancels at this point, thats an ultimate slap in the face. He‘s not that dumb.

Yes - it's too late to cancel. And what has changed over the past few days that suddenly makes it too risky to move forward?

Money to me Is the reason for the big and pac for not playing this fall
Money/Political agenda. The B1G seems to be doing fine with money. But it was a hit. They will push and push for "spring" but at the height of flu season, it's a terrible idea. Spineless.

And on a different note.....if Ohio opens sports, and Iowa State is still playing while Iowa is sitting home, don't be surprised if there is a bit of an uprising from B1G programs to make a push to play again!

Anyway. Back to HS football. If Dewine gives the go ahead, it'll be a happy day for many. The kids deserve to play after being in full contact for a month and a half. Let's hope for great news.

I think he will give the go ahead, but with provisions. He will articulate his concern for the health of the players and how everyone must fight to look out for the health of the students, but he will give his conditional approval.

Beau Rugg thinks DeWine will address fall contact sports today.

Rugg joined 21 WFMJ's 6:40 special via Facebook Live on Wednesday, answering a variety of questions regarding high school sports for the fall, especially those surrounding football. He says the OHSAA has been in constant contact with Governor Mike DeWine's administration regarding fall sports and more conclusive answers could be coming soon.

"I think we've worked very hard with the governor's office and the Ohio Department of Health to try to put as many things in place to make it as safe as possible for everyone involved," Rugg said. "We feel good about it and I think we'll find out tomorrow."

If you consider athletic departments losing >50% of their revenue and having $100,000,000 budget deficits fine... sure.
From what I read on various webesites, they have $50 million to give to member schools and are threatening Nebraska with that. Seems fine right now. They can take the one year hit and push the politics. For your smaller and liberal schools, this is the perfect case scenario. Still take the money that tOSU would typically get them via television and playoff revenues and opt out.

I think they play. Youth sports in Columbus seem to be a mixed bag. Our school 7/8 (Diocese) has cancelled football and soccer with hopes of spring ball. However, sixth grade team plays outside diocese in a suburb league and that still seems to be a go.

I think they play. Youth sports in Columbus seem to be a mixed bag. Our school 7/8 (Diocese) has cancelled football and soccer with hopes of spring ball. However, sixth grade team plays outside diocese in a suburb league and that still seems to be a go.

That's still dependent on DeWine giving the ok. The local board of health could shut down any youth league if DeWine doesn't authorize it.

If they do play its going to be either a BAD look or they’re the smartest people in the room. If this thing turns into outbreak city while the Big 10 is sitting on the sidelines, there’s going to be a lot of unemployed people in the Spring

From what I read on various webesites, they have $50 million to give to member schools and are threatening Nebraska with that. Seems fine right now. They can take the one year hit and push the politics. For your smaller and liberal schools, this is the perfect case scenario. Still take the money that tOSU would typically get them via television and playoff revenues and opt out.

That $50 million comes from TV revenue sharing (primarily from televised football games). This is more of a threat to their future conference membership and future seasons revenue share. There will be little TV money this year, certainly not $50 million per school, without football.

That $50 million comes from TV revenue sharing (primarily from televised football games). This is more of a threat to their future conference membership and future seasons revenue share. There will be little TV money this year, certainly not $50 million per school, without football.
I'm not sure what they have in the reserves, but I'm sure its ample. I wouldn't expect the Big Ten to announce their political agenda without compensating schools for future recruitment, training, and now testing measures. The bank is never dry in the Big Ten. That money will make its way to the member schools. If not, then those that have lesser clout (Northwestern, Illinois, Rutgers, etc) would have most definitely pushed for the season.

Today has to be decision day for contact sports competition right?
No. At least not for football.

Next Thursday makes a lot more sense. Give some time for the experiment to work, or fail. If things are bad after 16
days of practice shut it down before the final scrimmages and game week begins.

Even the Thursday after the first game makes more sense. Gather evidence of how things went the first game. Did schools and fans follow protocols or not? Are the protocols practical or was there chaos? If things aren't working give it a couple of days to be fixed or shut it down before game 2.

Semper Gumbi

Today we get official word......

*****That they are going to APPROVE AND MOVE FORWARD WITH THE SEASON**************

So let it be written, so it shall be done.

He knows he cannot afford any more negatives and he will attempt to woo over those who started to hate him!

Next Thursday makes a lot more sense. Give some time for the experiment to work, or fail. If things are bad after 16

Even the Thursday after the first game makes more sense. Gather evidence of how things went the first game. Did schools and fans follow protocols or not? Are the protocols practical or was there chaos? If things aren't working give it a couple of days to be fixed or shut it down before game 2.

Semper Gumbi
Pull the rug out the day before the season starts?? That would be highly unpopular

Semper Gumbi

It has been a lot longer than 16 days. Team have been practicing for a long time without pads but with the same risk.

I think we will all be disappointed with "we are still taking a look at things, but if you continue to wear masks, we may see a season in the future" by 2:45pm

DOOM AND GLOOM TAKE:
Other than Husted tweeting a few personal "wants" the past three weeks.

Off the field, has our numbers got better that DeWine was detailed about from three weeks ago when he had his "Pre Dinner Wednesday Talk with the Governor"? No, they are almost the same if not a little worse.

More districts have shut down the past month (Columbus today)

All colleges are NOT playing this Fall

So I'm really trying to understand what has changed to make any push to move forward? I've read the same Beau Rugg interview, OHSAA has come up with a scheduling plan to make sure their pockets are lined, but as far as testing or protocol...we've had it for months.

Please attack me now, thanks boys.

I'm not sure what they have in the reserves, but I'm sure its ample. I wouldn't expect the Big Ten to announce their political agenda without compensating schools for future recruitment, training, and now testing measures. The bank is never dry in the Big Ten. That money will make its way to the member schools. If not, then those that have lesser clout (Northwestern, Illinois, Rutgers, etc) would have most definitely pushed for the season.

Do you have information about B1G financial reserves or a payout coming to member schools? The fact is that the conference, like its member schools, relies on annual football revenue and spends accordingly. After all, before 2020 who seriously could've imagined a whole football season being wiped out? Those with "lesser clout" ultimately have less to lose because their budgets depend more on student fees and support from the university's general fund and less on football revenue.

Sorry everyone who is uninterested for getting into a discussion on college AD financials in a HS football forum...

Find it interesting that Columbus City Schools would pick today to announce they are suspending all athletics. Announcement on the radio said they are giving them time to collect all equipment and return any fees. So, sounds like this is a complete shutdown.

Money to me Is the reason for the big and pac for not playing this fall
Clearly. They need the ticket sales to support their entire athletic program.

Similar with the MAC. They need the payout from their games against Power 5 schools to pay for their athletic programs.

It has been a lot longer than 16 days. Team have been practicing for a long time without pads but with the same risk.
Many teams have been doing their conditioning and lifting since the order was lifted in late May...................