Canceled XC meets

gatornation

Could we start a list of meets we know are canceled so we can begin to try to piece together a schedule(include meets that are closed to the general public, for example Tiffin is canceled to the general public but still going on with local invite only teams).
Tiffin Carnival
Hawken
VASJ McDonough
Walsh Jesuit
Wooster
Champion
Brecksville
Gilmour
If any incorrect, please correct

Here's the full list updated through post #62. If I can't identify the 2020 meet date, I'm using last year's date and extrapolating it to the same week of the season for this year. If any details in this post are incorrect, please post corrections in this thread, and I will update them here ASAP. For further clarification, please contact the host school or meet manager.

Preseason
8/15/2020 OHSAA Preseason Invitational

Week 1
8/24/2020 Ashtabula Lakeside War on the Shore
8/24/2020 Lost Creek Invitational - Limited to MVL teams only
8/24/2020 Springboro Opening Day Invitational
8/25/2020 Kent Trumbull Flashback Invitational
8/25/2020 Upper Sandusky Icebreaker
8/29/2020 Attica Seneca East Tiger Classic - Entry limited to teams in the immediate area
8/29/2020 Gates Mills Hawken Invitational
8/29/2020 GlenOak Golden Eagle Invitational
8/29/2020 Hunting Valley University School George Clements Invitational
8/29/2020 Sandusky St. Mary Panther Run to Fun
8/29/2020 Uniontown Green Bulldog Invitational
8/29/2020 Wilmington College HS XC Classic

Week 2
9/2/2020 Fairborn Skyhawk Cross Country Invitational
9/4/2020 BGSU Mel Brodt HS Invitational
9/5/2020 Avon Lake Early Bird Cross Country Invitational
9/5/2020 Greenville Treaty City Invitational - Limited to MVL teams only
9/5/2020 Miamisburg Invitational - Designated as "GWOC Only Meet #1"
9/5/2020 The Dual at the DeWines (Hosted by Thomas Worthington HS)
9/5/2020 Tontogany Otsego Invitational

Week 3
9/8/2020 Smithville Smithie Invitational
9/12/2020 Brecksville Bruce Lerch Invitational
9/12/2020 Dover Cross Country Invitational - Entry limited to local teams only
9/12/2020 East Palestine Rotary Invitational
9/12/2020 Tiffin Carnival - Entry limited to teams from local counties
9/12/2020 Troy Cross Country Invitational - Limited to MVL teams only
9/12/2020 Cuyahoga Falls Walsh Jesuit Pat Ritchie Invitational
9/12/2020 Springboro Invitational - Rescheduled for 9/19 and designated as "GWOC Meet #3"
9/12/2020 Warren Champion Ray Sweeney Invitational
9/12/2020 Wooster Cross Country Invitational

Week 4
9/16/2020 Cleves Taylor Invitational
9/19/2020 Beavercreek Invitational - Rescheduled for 9/26 and designated as "GWOC Meet #4"
9/19/2020 Cedarville Friendship Cross Country Invitational
9/19/2020 Cleveland VASJ McDonough Invitational
9/19/2020 Fayette Eagle Invitational
9/19/2020 Galion Cross Country Festival
9/19/2020 Tipp City Tippecanoe Dave Lightle Invitational - Limited to MVL teams only

Week 5
9/26/2020 Centerville Saturday Night Lights - Not sure if it'll still be run at night, but the meet is rescheduled for 10/3 and designated as "GWOC Meet #5"
9/26/2020 Malone Invitational (Malone might host a series of quad meets in its place)
9/26/2020 Niles Cross Country Invitational
9/26/2020 Oregon Cardinal Stritch Invitational
9/26/2020 Parma Hts. Valley Forge Patriot Invitational
9/26/2020 Rio Grande Patty Forgey Invitational
9/26/2020 Strongsville Vertical Runner Cross Country Invitational - 2 sessions of 8 teams each, and entry limited to teams w/ contracts from either Cuyahoga or an adjoining county.
9/26/2020 Todd Clark Cloverleaf Invitational

Week 6
9/30/2020 Glouster Trimble Burr Oak Open
10/2/2020 Gates Mills Gilmour Academy Paul Primeau Invitational
10/3/2020 Kettering Fairmont Neal Charske Firebird XC Invitational - Rescheduled for 9/12 and designated as "GWOC Meet #2"
10/3/2020 London Erin L. Nance Invitational
10/3/2020 Madison U Wanna Come Back Invitational

Week 7
10/7/2020 Thornville Sheridan Backwoods 2 Mile
10/7/2020 Tipp City Tippecanoe Tipp Relays - Limited to MVL teams only
10/10/2020 New London Dan Olien Cross Country Invitational
10/10/2020 Springfield/Northmont/Wayne Invitational - Designated as "GWOC Meet #6"
10/10/2020 Wayne-Holmes County Invitational
10/10/2020 Xenia Legacy Christian XC Invitational

Week 8
10/17/2020 Sim Earich Invitational

To those submitting info on cancelled meets, please include the meet's scheduled date if you know it. It makes it easier to maintain the list in chronological order which is probably the most important detail to everyone here right now. Also, this may not be the case too often, but please specify if a meet is only postponed and not cancelled. Obviously, the two terms have different meanings, so I'd like to keep confusion to a minimum here.

Thank you all for your help.

Last edited:
Are you sure about Les Eisenhart? Duals at Dewines (hosted by TW) has been cancelled, but, as of 8/3, my understanding was Eisenhart was still a possibility.
Worthington canceled all sports for the fall. Would assume that would mean no races, but you could be right. We've been going for awhile and no communication either thus far.

Worthington cancelled for the first term... that decision was reversed today.
I'll take both meets off the list for now, but I'd be willing to bet the DeWines aren't going to want to be responsible for a bunch of HS kids they don't know hanging out on their land.

With all the larger meets either cancelled outright, or reduced in size (and it sounds like for the most part, cancelled = select teams) more teams are going to have to take it upon themselves to host their own meets, even if it’s just a dual or tri.

Easier said than done, certainly. But a season of mostly dual and tri meets seems to be a safer route anyways.

A big challenge will probably be not enough timing resources to go around.

With all the larger meets either cancelled outright, or reduced in size (and it sounds like for the most part, cancelled = select teams) more teams are going to have to take it upon themselves to host their own meets, even if it’s just a dual or tri.

Easier said than done, certainly. But a season of mostly dual and tri meets seems to be a safer route anyways.

A big challenge will probably be not enough timing resources to go around.

If most teams end up doing duals or tris, they shouldn't need chip timing services. Only the biggest of the big teams should need that level of service. A surprisingly large amount of schools have the timers w/ the print-out capability which helps solve the biggest challenge which is to make sure everyone gets a time. There are probably some timing and scoring apps out there as well that one could use. For meets with big numbers of runners, having someone video the finish line is a good back-up.

My school has successfully hosted up to 6 teams in the past while using just a stopwatch, a person recording times at the finish, and passing out index cards in the chute. Coaches put the kids' school and name on the cards and turn them back in, and we match the names to the times and places. For a meet of that size, it doesn't take too long to get all the names entered and score the meet. If in a hurry, just enter the school names to score it and then go back and enter the runners' names.

Another potential challenge if schools have to go the dual and tri route could be officials. Keep in mind that the pool of XC officials is smaller than the pool of track officials. I learned that the hard way when the starter we usually use for a home meet cancelled, and we had to find another starter on short notice (1 week) for a meet last year. One official I know had heard rumblings that up to 1/2 of the officials in his local association were considering not working meets this fall.

The state coaches association issues guidelines on what to do. For sure, you should not do chutes. The runners are supposed to fan out.

Have some type of numbers for the kids (like charity event numbers). Get an iPad or something and video the finish until it thins out while using the little computer timer system.

You can order these plastic number cards as well and hand them out as they finish. Different color for every race. Coach can then email the numbers to you after the race or turn them in later in an envelope.

I would do the first one. You could always just run a times with the video and provide the coach with the finishing order and time for their runners.

Have some type of numbers for the kids (like charity event numbers). Get an iPad or something and video the finish until it thins out while using the little computer timer system.

You can pick times off the iPad quite accurately using an App like Coaches' Eye. Using the "Analyze" feature, you can scroll the recording by figure tip and stop/record the time as each runner finishes. The trick is to get a somewhat accurate start to the video with the gun. It's not FAT, but its good enough when the focus is on place rather than precise time.

Cloverleaf's Todd Clark Invitational on 9/26 is listed as cancelled on baumspage. With the MAC postponing fall sports, will the U. of Akron's Tommy Evans Invitational take place?

Last edited:
Green Bulldog Invitational on 8/29 and Niles Invitational on 9/26 are cancelled according to baumspage. Also, the Wooster Invitational on 9/12 is now officially cancelled and no longer just presumed cancelled by me.

UPDATE: Wooster just rescinded its decision to suspend sports until October 1. I'm leaving the invitational as cancelled for now, but stay tuned.

Last edited:
What do you think is the best way to handle the post season meets. I was thinking make it a two meet season district/regional then state meet. Run the district/ regional seeded. With a small number of teams and only the top two teams and top four or five individuals advancing not on the top two teams.
Example

NE Girls D3

60 teams
3 races at two site
2 team advances from 2 sites (24 teams each) and 1 team from the other site (12) teams. All sites seeded with individual qualifiers 5+5+3

It will be nearly impossible to seed teams. I know what we have this year, but we may have precious few opportunities to show it. I'm sure we won't be alone.

With the seeding it will be difficult. Without a lot of head to heads. Many years ago we got the results from the newspapers. That’s impossible now. Coaches in the know could probably do a solid job seeding the top ten teams right in their divisions.

Just take top "x" from each league. Leagues with multiple divisions, top "x" in that division. Same with individuals. Top "x" individuals not on qualifying teams.

So if a league has both D1 and D2 schools, you use the league results to pull out "x" number of each. You might luck out if you are the only D_ whatever in your league.

Figure out Districts from there and Regional from the Districts.

Be prepared to be flexible in case a team or individual tests positive and can't compete.

My biggest concern is that Football , or "contact" sports could drag all sports down with them if they get shut down. It will not be pretty.

Last edited:
I had the idea of skipping conference meets, and using that week for sectional meets of 6-7 teams. feed
Just take top "x" from each league. Leagues with multiple divisions, top "x" in that division. Same with individuals. Top "x" individuals not on qualifying teams.

So if a league has both D1 and D2 schools, you use the league results to pull out "x" number of each. You might luck out if you are the only D_ whatever in your league.

Figure out Districts from there and Regional from the Districts.

Be prepared to be flexible in case a team or individual tests positive and can't compete.

My biggest concern is that Football , or "contact" sports could drag all sports down with them if they get shut down. It will not be pretty.
Yeah, I have already talked to two different football parents who indicated they would consider suing if the OHSAA allows non-contact sports to compete this fall and not contact sports.

As for taking the top x from each league to district, that is a possibility too. I personally hope they don't do that, as it would likely mean our six team division of the OCC would advance just Davidson (girls) to the district meet, with no chance for us, Orange, Liberty, UA or Bradley. At least two or three of the others would compete to get out of the Pickerington regional. But it would still be better than no post season at all.