Ohio Dept of Health: Everyone needs to test COVID- before a game

(the situation's not quite this simple and tidy, I know, but maybe it's close to being so)

We have a choice:

1. work to protect the truly vulnerable as well as we reasonably can, while the other 96% of us go about our lives nearly normally (we're all obligated to help at least a little of course)

OR

2. overreact to the virus, cancel numerous healthy aspects of life (including school sports), shut down parts of the economy, indulge in additional irresponsible deficit spending, and essentially cower in fear for the next umpteen years in the mostly false notion that we're making a notable difference in slowing the spread of the virus and thus saving lives

Even with a vaccine, the virus is probably not going away - geez, let's get on with life already!!
It is this simple. I still haven't figured out how this got so out of control - media hype, conspiracy theory, election year...?

I had thought the same thing (I really actually did a week or two ago - I'm not trying to steal WBP's thunder!!!)

I said this to my son. I think the shields only cover the eyes though. I don't think it would hurt if they did this. Like everything else though who is going to pay for all the shields? If a team offered a discount for parents to purchase them you might see it happen.

The problem is and I think what has caused so much frustration is we cant make a decision. Look how many districts around the state have been forced to pause or cancel already. huge voids in major metro areas now. trainwreck from day one. then they have a meeting yesterday to review a plan that was submitted a week ago. Husted is supposed to be the white knight in the 11th hr. I would be shocked if the ODH board walks back the testing requirement.
Who in the ODH is going to walk it back? They don't even have a director. Husted is heading up sports. As much as people like him or hate him, he has made every sports announcement to date.

I also feel bad for those districts closing down or pushing sports back. Expect them to be the ones "walking it back" as the rest of Ohio starts their plans to play.

You need to read the OHSFCA proposal. It's been circulated on different threads. Testing WILL NOT be required per their proposal, which Husted has given his stamp of approval.
Ok well that settles that. Football will be here week 1! Great to hear. Good luck to all teams. When is week 1? August 28th or September 4th?

Who in the ODH is going to walk it back? They don't even have a director. Husted is heading up sports. As much as people like him or hate him, he has made every sports announcement to date.

I also feel bad for those districts closing down or pushing sports back. Expect them to be the ones "walking it back" as the rest of Ohio starts their plans to play.

I hope you are right, I just see so many problems that need solved. one glaring problem is if your team wants to start but their schedule is predominately against teams that have paused or cancelled. Do they only play a few games since everyone else on your schedule has cancelled while teams outside major metro areas play 10 games since their opponents havent cancelled. How do you go into playoffs when some teams around the state have 10 games under your belt while others may have 3 or 4.

I hope you are right, I just see so many problems that need solved. one glaring problem is if your team wants to start but their schedule is predominately against teams that have paused or cancelled. Do they only play a few games since everyone else on your schedule has cancelled while teams outside major metro areas play 10 games since their opponents havent cancelled. How do you go into playoffs when some teams around the state have 10 games under your belt while others may have 3 or 4.
I believe I seen a quote from LCC's AD (will be a very strong contender this year) that said he is looking for games but knows plenty of other schools will be doing the same. They will work it out.

I'm not going to sugar coat it. Some of these schools that did the easy way out and pushed sports back to Oct. 1 or no sports at all just basically screwed themselves and opponents this year and probably for future years when it comes to rescheduling OOC games.

Here's a quick question. What the ODH mandates is over all sports contact sports, correct? So if they walk back testing, does that then apply to colleges and pro sports as well?

I believe I seen a quote from LCC's AD (will be a very strong contender this year) that said he is looking for games but knows plenty of other schools will be doing the same. They will work it out.

I'm not going to sugar coat it. Some of these schools that did the easy way out and pushed sports back to Oct. 1 or no sports at all just basically screwed themselves and opponents this year and probably for future years when it comes to rescheduling OOC games.

I think I would be careful calling it "the easy way out". Look at these forums. You don't think it's much more difficult to push a sport back or cancel them, than it is to continue playing them? I can't imagine the outrage in each school district that has chosen the route of delay or cancellation. To me, that's the tougher of the two choices to make.

I think you are exactly right. I think the schools that jumped the gun and said that they aren't haven't sports the first quarter shot themselves in the foot. All indications are that fall football is going to go forward and pretty much on time, possibly delayed a week or two but not until October. That is why you are seeing places like Mayfield, Gilmour and University School reverse course. It is going to be either olay or don't but it is in you. Spring is not happening or it would of been announced by now.

I think I would be careful calling it "the easy way out". Look at these forums. You don't think it's much more difficult to push a sport back or cancel them, than it is to continue playing them? I can't imagine the outrage in each school district that has chosen the route of delay or cancellation. To me, that's the tougher of the two choices to make.
I see alot of people on these forums that are all for cancelling sports and scared of Covid. I think its easier to give up than it is to forge forward.

I can imagine there are some people in these districts outraged and there are likely some on these forums that are so ticked off about sports moving forward that they are "rooting" for cancellation because they live in a district that is closing things down. I would expect some of these districts to be the ones walking it back because in my honest opinion, it was much much easier to shut it down than to plan it out.

I think you are exactly right. I think the schools that jumped the gun and said that they aren't haven't sports the first quarter shot themselves in the foot. All indications are that fall football is going to go forward and pretty much on time, possibly delayed a week or two but not until October. That is why you are seeing places like Mayfield, Gilmour and University School reverse course. It is going to be either olay or don't but it is in you. Spring is not happening or it would of been announced by now.

I agree however the blowback has caused a majority of schools that are moving forward to have 2/3 of their schedule cancelled. ohsaa and co have to have a plan for continuity for playoff purposed don't they? I want to see them get this thing moving forward asap!!!!

Here's a quick question. What the ODH mandates is over all sports contact sports, correct? So if they walk back testing, does that then apply to colleges and pro sports as well?

Apparently it would, but colleges and pro sports are already going beyond the mandate to protect their revenue stream.

The lack of specificity in the order is frustrating. The words "school" "amateur" and "professional" are not in the document.

Apparently it would, but colleges and pro sports are already going beyond the mandate to protect their revenue stream.

The lack of specificity in the order is frustrating. The words "school" "amateur" and "professional" are not in the document.

That was what I was getting at. Again, everyone's just wants to "play". I get that. But there are so many things that need to be sorted out before you get to actually playing the games. With less than a month to do it, it needs to be spelled out and clear quickly.

That was what I was getting at. Again, everyone's just wants to "play". I get that. But there are so many things that need to be sorted out before you get to actually playing the games. With less than a month to do it, it needs to be spelled out and clear quickly.
I'm not sure what's so difficult. There was a list of extra rules put into place from the OHSFCA that seem to take care of everything that needs to be sorted out. The only thing we are now looking at is how many fans. Think of it this way. Volleyball had it much worse, being in an enclosed space. But apparently, it was pretty easy to sort out.

Would you support a Pay per view for High School football? Feel the Boy's on the field can be managed with mask, social distancing, extended side line rules, temperature checks, and so on. Feel part of the problem would be the amount of fans and full grandstands. I would support a pay per view if it gives our kids the 2020 football season. We know the Schools rely on the revenue generated from ticket sales, this way they would still have the revenue and the boys would have a season. I have a Senior football player this year, he has been looking forward to his Senior season for a very long time. They have been conditioning for over 2 months, in pads this week. So far, no reported issues. They kids need the team environment and interaction with their own age. Whatever it takes! #iwantaseason

I would assume that no levels of sport are specified because the ODH order covers ALL of them.

as stated earlier, the meeting with ohsfca was a joke as is their proposal and it was all lip service and a nod like something is getting done. this is a cluster F beyond cluster F. Where you think we will be in a week. more districts cancelling and pausing. make a legitimate decision. easily pause for 6 weeks then start.... something. the somber tone and "wildfire" spread language makes me sick. I'm done with these idiots!!!!! clearly they want to pull the plug but hoping for some silver lining

I'm not sure what's so difficult. There was a list of extra rules put into place from the OHSFCA that seem to take care of everything that needs to be sorted out. The only thing we are now looking at is how many fans. Think of it this way. Volleyball had it much worse, being in an enclosed space. But apparently, it was pretty easy to sort out.
Has School vs. School competition been approved? Husted didn't approve it.

Last edited:
So per DeWine's press conference today the testing protocol was never supposed to be for HS students, just the extension of a previous order,,, "People looked at it, and got understandably upset"... No !!!!

So per DeWine's press conference today the testing protocol was never supposed to be for HS students, just the extension of a previous order,,, "People looked at it, and got understandably upset"... No !!!!

Who else was the order fcused on, MLB, NFL. NCAA players? Of course not.

It was directed towards HS kids. They got called on it during the press conference and were forced to back away from it.

Get the government out of these decisions!!

Then we have the wrong decision makers in place. Because they look foolish allowing practice and then want to cancel the games. There’s no excuse of , well they aren’t really contacting, because that’s bull crap too.
Why cancel the season? Honestly have games, but exhibition only. Kids still get there extra-curriculars but no one is tied down if/when an outbreak occurs