Ohio Dept of Health: Everyone needs to test COVID- before a game

Actually what would help.is limiting the spread, we never did that because petulant children adults went stir crazy. So, decisions have consequence, and here we are.
Wrong
We did that and flattened the curve and avoided overwhelming the hospitals which were the governor’s objectives. We must live with this and not go on isolation until a vaccine. Wake up!!

Have to agree with the states decision, especially after seeing 250 kids catch it at that camp in Georgia. It sucks but we can’t even attend sporting events or movies at the moment, why on Earth would health departments sign off on dozens of kids tackling each other in hundreds of communities on a weekly basis?

There are alternatives like tennis, golf and cross country to still do extracurricular activities. I know it’s mostly fatal to old people, but this thing is clearing those guys out. Probably best to postpone contact sports until we have things at least under control
The act of tackling someone in a game does not translate into “contact” according to the CDC or your county board of health. Better read up on what “contact” means. Really hard to achieve during an actual game. Check also the definition of “viral load”.

State legislature tried to do demand said “accountability” when Dr. Acton was in charge of the ODH. It failed in the state senate and has since stalled out. It’s largely a moot point now because: public opinion polling in the last two weeks is still decidedly in DeWine’s favor on these matters (has approval in the 70’s); coronavirus response has become arguably the paramount current events issue for voters; Ohio’s outcomes on COVID are better compared to many other states; Ohio GOP can’t keep grandstanding on it.
Dewine’s leadership with regard to education was proper when it comes to letting districts develop their own course of action.
High school sports is a far different matter and there needs to be a central voice because schools are reliant on each other for a spirts season. NO ONE wants to take the lead on this. Dewine has had an opportunity to and hasn’t. You CAN NOT hand this decision off to 88 county health departments.
How about acknowledging that the vast amount of schools have handled phases 1, 2, and 3 well this summer. Take the lead and get everyone back on the same page with regard to sports. Want to see a real health crisis, let thousands of athletes in Ohio out of their structured environment during a sports season.

(the situation's not quite this simple and tidy, I know, but maybe it's close to being so)

We have a choice:

1. work to protect the truly vulnerable as well as we reasonably can, while the other 96% of us go about our lives nearly normally (we're all obligated to help at least a little of course)

OR

2. overreact to the virus, cancel numerous healthy aspects of life (including school sports), shut down parts of the economy, indulge in additional irresponsible deficit spending, and essentially cower in fear for the next umpteen years in the mostly false notion that we're making a notable difference in slowing the spread of the virus and thus saving lives

Even with a vaccine, the virus is probably not going away - geez, let's get on with life already!!

Last edited:
With regard to the 72 hour testing window: Bravo! After many tries, it looks like they finally created a hoop too small to jump through (and they know it...).
This new mandate creates an impossible scenario for high school sports, and now will make it appear as if it is the school's decision not to compete, rather than the State's. Talk about clean hands...

With regard to the 72 hour testing window: Bravo! After many tries, it looks like they finally created a hoop too small to jump through (and they know it...).
This new mandate creates an impossible scenario for high school sports, and now will make it appear as if it is the school's decision not to compete, rather than the State's. Talk about clean hands...

The order is temporary. The OHSAA continues in talks with the Governor's office about changes to the order. See the OHSAA's Monday announcement below.

Everything will be ok. Some things are more important than football. Im a huge huge fan, but when studies are showing a majority of those who get the virus, even asymptomatic, end up with heart damage, you have a major problem.
What study is this? So millions of people in the world now have Heart damage, some from a virus they didn’t know they had. I call bs on this one. Did you hear that from Rachel Maddow? Btw, seasonal flu can affect the heart in rare cases as well.

Last edited:
Large schools cannot afford this.
Probably talking, at a minimum, 30k to do this testing. As someone stated it just a picture in time, if it’s Wednesday and negative, the athlete could be positive on Friday. It’s smoke and mirrors.

I have been thinking about this for a couple of days because with the mask mandate I have seen more of this....those plastic shields instead of masks that some are wearing (I am assuming some breathing issue). Could requiring clear shields for all football players be an option to help safeguard when they play this fall?

I have been thinking about this for a couple of days because with the mask mandate I have seen more of this....those plastic shields instead of masks that some are wearing (I am assuming some breathing issue). Could requiring clear shields for all football players be an option to help safeguard when they play this fall?
I had thought the same thing (I really actually did a week or two ago - I'm not trying to steal WBP's thunder!!!)

The anger on here is unreal. Positive tests are going to basically prohibit any real season as baseball is showing us. Honestly we’re probably going to just have to have a regular season with however many games possible, and call it a day.

I really hope people understand this, school officials are obviously not going to play if a team has cases running through it. In addition those kids will not be allowed to attend classes likely for the sake of the general student body. All these folks trying to be internet tough guys, “My kid my choice!” and yet with the exception of things like golf and cross country there is a 0.0% chance of any REAL season

Here's info from the meeting today.

August 3, 2020

Coaches,

Our meeting with the Lt Governor and OHSAA representatives Bob Goldring and Beau Rugg was held this afternoon from 4:30-5:00.

Here is what we can take away from the meeting:

1. Our Covid19 Recommendations proposal received very positive feedback. The OHSAA stated they wish to adopt our practice guidelines. The Lt Governor also approved of the recommendations we released recently.
  2. It is imperative that our coaches follow the recommendations put forth by the OHSFCA as closely as possible, paying particular attention to social distancing on and off the field.
  3. The Lt Governor also emphasized that adherence to these guidelines will help determine the outcomes for this season.
  4. The Lt Governor also stated that we remind our players that what they do off the field as well as on the field will have a direct effect on moving forward.
  5. Enforcement issues were discussed by the Lt Governor and the OHSAA. It was clear that we must adhere to the established guidelines and any other mandates that come from the Governor, OHSAA, or the Ohio Department of Health.

It is very clear to us that we must continue to do all we can as coaches to keep our athletes safe and abide by the regulations set forth by the Governor’s office, the OHSAA, and the OHSFCA. By doing this, we are giving ourselves the best opportunity to have a fall season.

Region directors will be in contact with their respective coaches to provide further guidance and address any questions.

Doesn’t sound like testing will be required.
So will there be an opportunity for OHSFCA + OHSAA to directly pitch their recommendations to the ODH (and the Governor?) Or are they just hoping Husted can sell it to them?

Re: 3 - what even is the baseline for the state and ODH to assess guideline adherence and players’ actions as they pertain to the COVID concerns? There’s no scrimmages to trial run these guidelines on. How does Husted or the ODH know if they’ll work, where the suspected reliability in the guidelines would eliminate the need for the testing requirement?

Re: 4 - I don’t disagree with Husted on this, but again this is open to interpretation. If there’s some issue with increased COVID spread, as in counties experience outbreaks or there is an outbreak linked to football programs (plural), then what does that mean for football in Ohio? This is where it’s becoming opaque at a time when transparency is most beneficial to everyone. Is the ODH/state just not going to let Level 3 and Level 4 counties play football? Like, if so, fine... set the ground rules on it so the students actually have a carrot on the stick. Ambiguous “the students’ actions decide the course of the season” rhetoric has no accountability.

Folks. The state is not stopping football. We will have football season but as we be seen, some local places may can their own, but the state will NOT get in the way.

Y'all need to put it to rest and start talking about the season

The act of tackling someone in a game does not translate into “contact” according to the CDC or your county board of health. Better read up on what “contact” means. Really hard to achieve during an actual game. Check also the definition of “viral load”.
so the virus during the day, can be spread if we get within six feet of another human without wearing a restrictive face mask, but during a football game the virus will not be transmitted by lack of masks and linemen piling up on each other while gasping for breath?

We should make life one big football game then and throw these masks out.

Folks. The state is not stopping football. We will have football season but as we be seen, some local places may can their own, but the state will NOT get in the way.

Y'all need to put it to rest and start talking about the season
The state may not be ‘directly’ stopping football, but they are making it almost impossible for a school district to continue playing.

So will there be an opportunity for OHSFCA + OHSAA to directly pitch their recommendations to the ODH (and the Governor?) Or are they just hoping Husted can sell it to them?

Re: 3 - what even is the baseline for the state and ODH to assess guideline adherence and players’ actions as they pertain to the COVID concerns? There’s no scrimmages to trial run these guidelines on. How does Husted or the ODH know if they’ll work, where the suspected reliability in the guidelines would eliminate the need for the testing requirement?

Re: 4 - I don’t disagree with Husted on this, but again this is open to interpretation. If there’s some issue with increased COVID spread, as in counties experience outbreaks or there is an outbreak linked to football programs (plural), then what does that mean for football in Ohio? This is where it’s becoming opaque at a time when transparency is most beneficial to everyone. Is the ODH/state just not going to let Level 3 and Level 4 counties play football? Like, if so, fine... set the ground rules on it so the students actually have a carrot on the stick. Ambiguous “the students’ actions decide the course of the season” rhetoric has no accountability.
We will play football. Husted has made every call on sports. No one will need to pitch it to the governor or the ODH. He is giving his approval stamp. That’s what dewine has tasked him to do on several key items. Sports is one.

I’m sure, as I have said all along. There will be nuances to the whole idea. Some will not play. But Ohio is playing football. This will be put to bed.

The anger on here is unreal. Positive tests are going to basically prohibit any real season as baseball is showing us. Honestly we’re probably going to just have to have a regular season with however many games possible, and call it a day.

I really hope people understand this, school officials are obviously not going to play if a team has cases running through it. In addition those kids will not be allowed to attend classes likely for the sake of the general student body. All these folks trying to be internet tough guys, “My kid my choice!” and yet with the exception of things like golf and cross country there is a 0.0% chance of any REAL season
Then we have the wrong decision makers in place. Because they look foolish allowing practice and then want to cancel the games. There’s no excuse of , well they aren’t really contacting, because that’s bull crap too.

We will play football. Husted has made every call on sports. No one will need to pitch it to the governor or the ODH. He is giving his approval stamp. That’s what dewine has tasked him to do on several key items. Sports is one.

I’m sure, as I have said all along. There will be nuances to the whole idea. Some will not play. But Ohio is playing football. This will be put to bed.

The problem is and I think what has caused so much frustration is we cant make a decision. Look how many districts around the state have been forced to pause or cancel already. huge voids in major metro areas now. trainwreck from day one. then they have a meeting yesterday to review a plan that was submitted a week ago. Husted is supposed to be the white knight in the 11th hr. I would be shocked if the ODH board walks back the testing requirement.

You can take a free test at Rite Aid. Do it. So what if you don't have the results for 7 days. At least you complied and took the test.