Ohio Dept of Health: Everyone needs to test COVID- before a game

1. These tests would cost around $70-$150 a pop. No one can afford to implement this.

2. This gets released on a Saturday Evening after practice and tryouts start? Horrible

3. Just another reason why there is no chance we play this fall.

So does this testing apply to non-contact sports too? Unbelievable

Everyone realizes this isn't new, right? It's an extension of the same order that's been in place since early July for the TBT tournament in Columbus, and the OHSAA memo sent out just yesterday SPECIFICALLY addresses this order.

Read the damn releases from the governing body, people.

Does this only apply to high school athletics? I’m so confused. There are AAU basketball tournaments going on in Cincinnati this weekend. I can almost guarantee that all players/coaches/officials weren’t tested prior to playing. Are club sports under a different set of rules? Are they just not following the rules because they don’t really have a governing body that enforces them?

Does this only apply to high school athletics? I’m so confused. There are AAU basketball tournaments going on in Cincinnati this weekend. I can almost guarantee that all players/coaches/officials weren’t tested prior to playing. Are club sports under a different set of rules? Are they just not following the rules because they don’t really have a governing body that enforces them?

it applies to everything, but yes, there's no enforcing body. And again, in the OHSAA release from yesterday, it stated that fall high school sports WILL NOT OCCUR unless the ODH removes the testing mandate, which they gave a deadline of 9/4 for them to do and still proceed. THIS WAS ALL COVERED BY THE OHSAA YESTERDAY PEOPLE

Everyone realizes this isn't new, right? It's an extension of the same order that's been in place since early July for the TBT tournament in Columbus, and the OHSAA memo sent out just yesterday SPECIFICALLY addresses this order.

Good catch. OP. Should b permabanned for posting

1. The cost of the covid test makes this infeasible.

2. Doesn't it take like a week to get the lab results? So it's impossible to get the lab results back in 72 hours.

3. "..and all participants must remain in isolation with their teammates and team staff from the time the COVID-19 test is administered until completion of competition." So the players, coaches, athletic trainers, etc. must be quarantined together from the time of the test until after the game? Athletes can't go to school, the adults can't go to work, and nobody can go home? Does it really say that? Where do they all go to be isolated, the Holiday Inn for three nights? The covid testing is cheap compared to this.

4. "Spectators not permitted..."

Clearly the OHSAA needs DeWine to have this order lifted, but ...

5. According to these medical "experts" it is apparently safe enough to have 23 days of practice in the next four weeks but it is not safe to play a game on August 28 without a test. That's just stupid.

Last edited:

Yes but it was extended and we need it not be for football to continue. Why would they extend it if we plan on playing. Some one needs to make a decision

Yeah I forgot to read the press release about a TBT tournament I never heard of and don't care about in a city where I don't live.

And yeah I don't immediately read everything released by the OHSAA. My bad.

Sorry to have triggered you.

I thought the original order was for the week of that tournament only. They put it back in place last night. Saw some posts on Twitter that seemed to support this.

Smurfyeah19
“I know it’s mostly fatal to old people, but this thing is clearing those guys out.”
Really? You feel this way about your parents or family?
Most people on here advocating for a season only care because their little johnny may not get to play football. Parents living thru their kids and old jocks that have never grown up. More important things here than highschool sports.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the original order was for the week of that tournament only. They put it back in place last night. Saw some posts on Twitter that seemed to support this.
Local sports channel in NWO had it on their scroll this weekend too. Basically sayinbidnthe ODH keeps the testing part then there won't be a season

No o
All this testing crap has got to go. What are they going to do, test for the flu forever now. They never did no testing from December through February, and we all did fine. A lot of people had this virus back then, and we did not even know about it then.
No one had the virus back from Dec- Feb. I am in healthcare and am sick of the virus as well, but this isn’t the flu, unless you have seen these patients in the hospital and treated them you’re opinion has no value and don’t spew false information.

No o

No one had the virus back from Dec- Feb. I am in healthcare and am sick of the virus as well, but this isn’t the flu, unless you have seen these patients in the hospital and treated them you’re opinion has no value and don’t spew false information.
They have tested people for anti bodies, and yes people were sick with this flu virus back during the winter. Your opinion has no value either. You are sending false info. Done

No o

Keep up the good work in your field and I get your point of seeing it first hand will impact your view.
However I do have to point out 1st confirmed cases in the US Jan 20 of 2020. I know an administrator at a local college that her job was to monitor the health and contact of Chinese students that had went home in December to watch for signs of the virus, she was doing that right after the first of the year.
Some anti body test have certainly pointed to February.

Keep up the good work in your field and I get your point of seeing it first hand will impact your view.
However I do have to point out 1st confirmed cases in the US Jan 20 of 2020. I know an administrator at a local college that her job was to monitor the health and contact of Chinese students that had went home in December to watch for signs of the virus, she was doing that right after the first of the year.
Some anti body test have certainly pointed to February.
Thank you, it’s appreciated. Should’ve been more clear, the Ohio hospitals were not seeing the COVID cases. Yes people were sick but it’s highly unlikely the people in Ohio with no contacts had COVID Dec-Feb. This is from my experience.

For clarity, here is a timeline of the ODH director's orders:

May 22: Skills training allowed to resume for all sports starting May 26 until July 1. Scrimmages and games for contact sports are prohibited.

June 30: The order is extended to July 7.

July 7: In response to Larry Huggins' lawsuit to hold a youth basketball camp, competition for contact sports is allowed but with stringent testing requirements. In my opinion this order was designed to allow ESPN's "The Basketball Tournament" to continue while making it infeasible for any other amateur contact sport competitions to take place. Scrimmages and games between schools are still prohibited regardless. The order expires July 15.

July 15: The order is extended to July 22.

July 22: The order is extended to July 31.

August 1: The order is extended until the State of Emergency no longer exists or until ODH rescinds or modifies the order, whichever occurs first.

My take on this is that what was "wait and see, for another week" is now "wait and see, indefinitely."

We are headed for a decision the week before games start to either keep the order effectively ending any possibility of playing or the order being lifted allowing for a return to contact sports. Ohsaa also sent something out today requiring all schools to sign a pledge to follow and administrator all rules established by host schools, government recommendations and ohsaa guidance. Failure to comply was punishable by removal from postseason play.

This is a good post. Face it, this is all part of the process. It’s why most schools won’t have a scrimmage and you’re also seeing leagues cancel OOC games.

The best way for a season to proceed is to show that each school and team is doing its best to adhere to guidelines over the next month. It should help spread and also prove to the state the OSHAA is representing schools that will adhere to safety guidelines.

I do imagine you’ll see something done with testing to make it either more feasible or more affordable. It’s a big hurdle between what the ODH views as safety and what schools view as something that’s hard to honor. This is the football forum, but these guidelines apply to all contact sports. Soccer for example could play 2-3 games a week. Imagine testing for that sport.....

There are basketball, soccer and baseball tournaments being played every weekend, and have been for 1-2 months. I haven’t heard of any outbreaks from these tournaments. I haven’t heard of any tracing leading back to these tournaments.

Cancelling sports isnt slowing the spread because these kids are already playing sports and will continue to play sports. People will always find alternatives. It’s so stupid.

So....by the timeline this is not new info. This thread is about just extending the orders that expired on July 31st. Lol.

Everyone is up in arms about something that was put into place to have Hugs camp and TBT. Obviously waiting on the Ohio government to sign off on no testing per the OHSAA recommendations.