Ohio Dept of Health: Everyone needs to test COVID- before a game

Bottom line, hold onto your shorts. Whatever is true now will likely not be in a week (remember back when "masks don't help") so don't get too excited. Kids are practicing again. Let's enjoy that for a few days before we worry about week 1, 2, 3 . . .

Does anyone actually believe that all of these particular testing requirements, and possibly stopping some school sports altogether, are going to somehow magically limit the spread of the virus even a little? That the vulnerable folks will suddenly be noticeably more protected?

That doesn't seem logical. This virus stinks, and no one wants to see lives lost, obviously, but kids should have a chance to play the sports, particularly since doing so is not going to change the virus situation more than a tiny iota, if at all.

Everything will be ok. Some things are more important than football. Im a huge huge fan, but when studies are showing a majority of those who get the virus, even asymptomatic, end up with heart damage, you have a major problem.
Sports are done then forever? Nature has spoken, a new virus exists that kills people and causes problems. Keep living life with the best measures we can to protect. If you decide to not want to risk it, stay home in the bunker forever. If you want to live life as normal, be warned of risks that could be severe and carry on.

Vaccine will help but not a lot.

Sports are done then forever? Nature has spoken, a new virus exists that kills people and causes problems. Keep living life with the best measures we can to protect. If you decide to not want to risk it, stay home in the bunker forever. If you want to live life as normal, be warned of risks that could be severe and carry on.

Vaccine will help but not a lot.

Actually what would help.is limiting the spread, we never did that because petulant children adults went stir crazy. So, decisions have consequence, and here we are.

10....a....iv
"............and all participants must remain in isolation with their teammates and team staff from the time the COVID-19 test is administered until completion of competition."

So, tests are done on Tuesday and all STUDENT-athletes must remain in isolation until the game ends on Friday???
Just pull the plug already, this is getting more absurd with each passing hour.

As someone who believed (and still believes) Dr. Acton was correct in her approaches and recommendations, believes in general that Gov. DeWine is doing an overall good job with his handling of the pandemic and believes that testing is imperative...

this needs revised, for several reasons. a) this is going to create a largely unnecessary burden on the current testing supply — unsure who all has been paying attention to recent Capitol Hill briefings and sessions, but the US is not sitting very well with turnaround times on testing and the slack related to point of care for COVID.I believe Quest Diagnostics has said its taking them up to seven days to get results back. Imagine the backlog to be had when it’s required for all football players to be tested in Ohio weekly, with soccer possibly needing 2 or 3 tests a week. b) related to ‘a’, we probably do not have not just the testing capacity to support this but also not the public health infrastructure either. Is a place such as Mercer County going to be able to do 400-500 tests a week just for football? What about Athens County?

I would think a better solution is to mandate this for counties that are “red/Level 3” either the whole team or 50-75%, including symptomatic with teams in Level 2 to do 25-50 including symptomatic and level 1 teams to do 12-25% including symptomatic.

Look up long term effects of the "seasonal flu". You'll find the same thing.

You're right, the flu normally causes otherwise asymptomatic people to have strokes too. My bad. Sorry, it's the flu. I missed the damn dog whistle

From the same health board that had banned HCQ from being prescribed in the state for COVID 19. Dewine put a stop to that. He has to do the same with this unfeasible ruling.
I believe that was the Ohio Board of Pharmacy who banned HCQ, not the ODH.

You're right, the flu normally causes otherwise asymptomatic people to have strokes too. My bad. Sorry, it's the flu. I missed the damn dog whistle
Guess what, normal influenza can cause strokes.

Soo...I'll be the first to ask. Who's paying for and administering these tests? Who keeps track of them?
Judging by the number of people talking about how important sports are on here, funding should be readily available, we would just need to reach out to the communities.

Who keeps track is an open issue.

Cmon man. We know this is unrealistic. This will be lifted if they decide to let the season go on. There are about three weeks left to slow this down in Ohio. If it doesn’t slow he will leave the order on. If it does (like it did today) then he will lift it. It’s in DeWine a hands ultimately. SO WEAR A DAMN MASK!!!!!!!!!

if these terms are in place professional teams, let alone college teams would have a hard time meeting them. No one would be able to het test results "in hand" 72 hour after testing. It would be impossible for high schools to do this. If this is the states way of trying to stop contact sports, not just football, from happening then someone needs to have the balls to just say so. Stop playing with these kids emotions.

if these terms are in place professional teams, let alone college teams would have a hard time meeting them. No one would be able to het test results "in hand" 72 hour after testing. It would be impossible for high schools to do this. If this is the states way of trying to stop contact sports, not just football, from happening then someone needs to have the balls to just say so. Stop playing with these kids emotions.
I was just speaking to a nurse friend of mine last night. She was supposed to get tested weekly, but the damn test results take 5-7 days.
She refused the latest one ...

The NBA and MLS are testing daily or every-other-day and getting results in 12-24 hours.

College and pro teams are in fact testing regularly. If I had a kid playing a contact sport, I would feel a lot better about them playing the sport if I knew everyone on the field had been tested. I don’t know how football, soccer, basketball, and wrestling could proceed with competition without testing.

The “honor system” of self-checking isn’t good enough here I’m sorry to say. And anyone who thinks self-monitoring, coach monitoring, or temperature checks are enough isn’t being realistic. No kid will self-report is they will miss 2 or more weeks and there will be coaches who will not report star players with symptoms.

Everyone wants a season. We have a month to arrange for testing. Make it happen. People have said they will do anything for a fall season, so it’s time to put your money where your mouth is.

Have to agree with the states decision, especially after seeing 250 kids catch it at that camp in Georgia. It sucks but we can’t even attend sporting events or movies at the moment, why on Earth would health departments sign off on dozens of kids tackling each other in hundreds of communities on a weekly basis?

There are alternatives like tennis, golf and cross country to still do extracurricular activities. I know it’s mostly fatal to old people, but this thing is clearing those guys out. Probably best to postpone contact sports until we have things at least under control