Ohio Dept of Health: Everyone needs to test COVID- before a game

The Dock

Persona Non Grata
As of 8/1...

Section 10, a. Players, Coaches, Athletic Trainers, Support Staff and Officials must:

iii. Receive a negative COVID-19 test before traveling to competition; and,

iv. A PCR COVID-19 test must be administered to each athlete and team staff member participating in the competition no more than 72 hours prior to the start of competition; any athlete or staff member testing positive and their entire team and staff are prohibited from participation in the competition...

per new order issued today by the ODH, found here: https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/static...-Third-Orderd-Amended-Order-Contact-Sport.pdf

I think if you read all the way down to the last paragraph of the document...at the end of page 10 and finishing on page 11. It specifically states that practice for contact sports may resume but only intra-squad practice/scrimmage is allowed at this time. (Basically what OHSAA put out yesterday).

Sounds to me like this order will need to be amended before games can be played.

Wasting more money. Who is paying for all these tests? So tired of hearing about Covid, and all its BS.

Unaffordable to the schools for sure, and what I’m being told results for PCR tests take at least a week. Just trying to figure a way to bail out again without making a decision. So wrong.

All this testing crap has got to go. What are they going to do, test for the flu forever now. They never did no testing from December through February, and we all did fine. A lot of people had this virus back then, and we did not even know about it then.

All this testing crap has got to go. What are they going to do, test for the flu forever now. They never did no testing from December through February, and we all did fine. A lot of people had this virus back then, and we did not even know about it then.

Dude this thing has a fatality rate of .5%. Something highly contagious that kills 1 in 200 people lol this isn’t the flu. But since you mentioned the flu, I remember sophomore year we missed three practices in basketball because the flu bug ran rampant in our locker room. Viruses are no joke

Is this new. Or regurgitated from the order to have TBT. I’m assuming the order hasn’t changed yet....

Anyone not adhering would be arrested lol

1596331010152.gif

Ok, after a positive test, the virus can remain in your system for up to 6 weeks. Even after you are no longer contagious. So pretty much a season ending injury for that unfortunate participant.
train wreck for sure ?

Can’t help but think one of two things happens in order to keep the season viable

1) OHSAA successfully ask the order to be revised to eliminate the testing requirement, or

2) Schools en masse trim their roster counts to 30-35 (some number more realistic to get the testing done while also eliminating the off-chance a player on the reserve team tests COVID+ and ruins it for the whole team.)

I know it doesn't fit your agenda, but it isn't the flu. Repeating that lie, or dog whistle reaction, is idiotic

We are headed for a decision the week before games start to either keep the order effectively ending any possibility of playing or the order being lifted allowing for a return to contact sports. Ohsaa also sent something out today requiring all schools to sign a pledge to follow and administrator all rules established by host schools, government recommendations and ohsaa guidance. Failure to comply was punishable by removal from postseason play.