STVM Malaki Branham commits to Ohio State

Anyone watched him play in person ?

Is he legit?
I've seen him play a number of times, and he is legit. He is typically the best player on the floor. (And that includes when he was playing with Lunden McDay!) At 6'4" he has the size to make it to the next level. He is an exceptional (and willing) passer; especially for someone who will be playing more off the ball in college. A solid defender, too. (You have to be to play for Coach Dru!) He has more speed and athleticism than a John Williams, for example; although he is nowhere near the shooter that Williams was. Still, as is set forth in the article I attached, he realizes this is an area that needs improvement and is working to better his game. To me, this is the most telling sign he will succeed at the next level. Those who have his talent and are still willing to put in the work to improve are in a better position to succeed than those who rely on talent alone.

I've seen him play a number of times, and he is legit. He is typically the best player on the floor. (And that includes when he was playing with Lunden McDay!) At 6'4" he has the size to make it to the next level. He is an exceptional (and willing) passer; especially for someone who will be playing more off the ball in college. A solid defender, too. (You have to be to play for Coach Dru!) He has more speed and athleticism than a John Williams, for example; although he is nowhere near the shooter that Williams was. Still, as is set forth in the article I attached, he realizes this is an area that needs improvement and is working to better his game. To me, this is the most telling sign he will succeed at the next level. Those who have his talent and are still willing to put in the work to improve are in a better position to succeed than those who rely on talent alone.
That sounds great!

That sounds great!
I certainly don't want to come off as any sort of authority on judging basketball talent. And I don't have the knowledge to look at a player as in depth as a scout could. But I have seen quite a bit of Irish basketball over the years, and IMO, other than Jayvon Graves, Malaki Branham may be the best player to don an Irish uniform since the LeBron years. And that is saying A LOT! I just hope he has the opportunity to prove it this Winter...

Last edited:
I certainly don't want to come off as sort of authority on judging basketball talent. And I don't have the knowledge to look at a player as in depth as a scout could. But I have seen quite a bit of Irish basketball over the years, and IMO, other than Jayvon Graves, Malaki Branham may be the best player to don an Irish uniform since the LeBron years. And that is saying A LOT! I just hope he has the opportunity to prove it this Winter...
Yes. And keep a straight head too.

I moved back to NE Ohio about 4 years ago. I only saw Meechie as a freshman, and was really impressed with what I saw from John Hughley the last few years, but I saw Branham twice last year, he is the best talent I have seen in NE Ohio the last few years.

I will mention the recent video I have seen of Meechie post surgery is really impressive too.