Legacy Christian recruiting

If you are 16 in the 8th grade your kid needs help. He shouldnt be wrestling. Parents need help too for letting that happen
Why worry about it? That's my opinion. If you have college talent, it doesn't matter how old you are. Both my kid's graduated at 17 years of age. One wasn't talented enough to wrestle in college. The other wrestled for a d3 program. Yes, he had a bunch of D1 offers. But a grey and redshirt were required. His 4pt GPA and 27 ACT gave him many options. He just didn't want to wait and the D3 program he attended was a perfect match for him. Holding kid's back may help the short term but I don't think it matters. I would spend more time concentrating on school.

Anyone that's been around wrestling for any length of time knows when a kid has special talent. Not always, but as a general rule. If parents want to hold kid's back so be it. That may mean your kid will face a good wrestler. Will he win or lose? Losing to a good opponent isn't the end of the world. JMO

Why worry about it? That's my opinion. If you have college talent, it doesn't matter how old you are. Both my kid's graduated at 17 years of age. One wasn't talented enough to wrestle in college. The other wrestled for a d3 program. Yes, he had a bunch of D1 offers. But a grey and redshirt were required. His 4pt GPA and 27 ACT gave him many options. He just didn't want to wait and the D3 program he attended was a perfect match for him. Holding kid's back may help the short term but I don't think it matters. I would spend more time concentrating on school.

Anyone that's been around wrestling for any length of time knows when a kid has special talent. Not always, but as a general rule. If parents want to hold kid's back so be it. That may mean your kid will face a good wrestler. Will he win or lose? Losing to a good opponent isn't the end of the world. JMO
Wow ...so you're saying it's ok to hold them back because of a sport?? OMG are you serious ...education is way more important than any sport. Sports should be last and educatiom first. I cant imagine a parent holding back a kid that has a 4.0 just because he is "college wrestling material" Priorities are all wrong!

Wow ...so you're saying it's ok to hold them back because of a sport?? OMG are you serious ...education is way more important than any sport. Sports should be last and educatiom first. I cant imagine a parent holding back a kid that has a 4.0 just because he is "college wrestling material" Priorities are all wrong!

really dude! DoIng some shaming! Why don’t you get on yappi education! you sound like a snowflake. Or were you unaware of holding back for sports. I guess it would be shocking but it has been going on for a few years now.
many benefits to holdIng a kid back. One really good one is sports but now a days it just keeping up with the field.

You will never convince me or any other smart parent that it's ok to hold a kid back for a sport...IMO you are a bad parent if you do this ...period
Absolutely i was 3 x placer, 2x time finalist, 1 x sc graduated at 17 yrs old. But some parents live through there kids. So they do what they have to i guess. My kid didnt start til high school so not the greatest for obvious reasons but was never persurred into sport by me he wanted to do different things. When he decide to start i supported and helped him. But i dont need to live through him to feel goid. So you are right. No reason for 16 or 17 yr old freshman

If you are 16 in the 8th grade your kid needs help. He shouldnt be wrestling. Parents need help too for letting that happen
I see your point and disapproval, but sometimes what you see on the outside may not be, what you don't see on the inside. My sons graduated 2019 from Fairfield, no they weren't twins. One was diagnosed with a learning disability after 2nd grade and repeated the grade with the aid of the intervention program. Nothing about sports participation was thought of because of other life changing situations for the boys. When they entered 7th grade, they wanted to wrestle because that's what their dad did( no pressure, just support; I'm sure if I played golf in high school, they probably would choose that because I did and to best me( got a competitive gene). One son had some medical issues and the right move was to have him wait a year, because his health is number one. One was 19 yrs. old on 1/11/19 and the other son was 18yrs. old on 5/16/19. I wasn't a world beater when I wrestled and fell out of love for the sport after the temporary rule change in the 92' post season that had a wrestler carry another onto the next round. The decision that are made that has a kid put back a grade, to most/ everyone that decision is for that family to deal with and we on the outside may look at have our opinions, but we can ask them, conversation helps and not get angry( hell, I've seen 8th graders trade moves and devour 12th graders and the same for 9th graders beating up college guys. My motivation for my boys wrestling was to stay out of trouble, keeping their grades up, worry about girls later, and wrestling's other life lessons.

Last edited:
I've had a coach I greatly respect tell me its not too late to hold my son back. He's on the very young side. He is going into 7th grade and doesn't turn 12 until September. At the time our school did testing to see if you were ready and they told us he was ready.

In hindsight I'd wait a year, although not for sports. At this point he's an honor roll kid and a solid wrestler (been to Oac multiple times but never placed.) So I can't see a scenario where we even consider it.

Now this year my son may end up wrestling kids up to 3 older than him. But God forbid if he has contact with a freshman at practice lol. To me this practice needs to be addressed if we have the silly no contact rule, or it should be a reason why the no contact rule should be adjusted for 7th and 8th graders to practice with freshman and maybe even sophomores.

I remember a while back, at the Mason Spring Duals, Gavin Brown( middle schooler) wrestled Zach Shupp( spring before his 11th grade state finals season) and won like 7-6 or by a point.

I would think most parents have an issue with holding a kid back just for athletics. How many would have an issue with a school having kids excluded from their count in order to remain in a lower division?

I would think most parents have an issue with holding a kid back just for athletics. How many would have an issue with a school having kids excluded from their count in order to remain in a lower division?

I'd say "most" is relative as I doubt that >50% are held back. I think out of the hold backs, you'd struggle to say that most is not athletics related. Just look at the incoming freshman class. I don't think you'd have very much talk about kids being held back because of COVID if it wasn't directly related to sports.

With all due respect to Coach Hermes, your team doesn't stand a chance to beat Legacy out for the D3 title this year. I'm sure you guys take pride in your program, but you will never be able to compete with the monster Jason Brown has created in Xenia, Ohio. These guys train 340 days a year probably and Jason's full time job is building the program. He is probably the best wrestling parent in Ohio and knows what he is doing! They had a bunch of hired guns a couple years ago, but he chose to move them all down the road. At the time, it seemed like Legacy was falling apart, but I have to give major credit to JB. He got rid of every problem family & decided to surround himself with a bunch of 2nd tier level wrestlers that hadn't accomplished much in grade school or middle school. Seems like a knock, but the end result has been incredible as Jason Brown is now the clear leader on the Legacy campus with a bunch of quality Indians following him. He has taken a bunch of average kids and turned them into flat out studs! Both the kids & parents have bought in and they have trained like crazy. Everyone harps on the program for recruiting, but all I see is Jason Brown turning every day kids into hammers! Say what you want, but Gavin Brown is one of the top 5, pound for pound, wrestlers in the State of Ohio, regardless of division. The kid is legit and his dad has done an incredible job with him! Gavin is the clear & confident leader of that team and the other kids know it! Jason Brown is building a true "legacy" that is going to do damage for years to come! I had my doubts for a while, but they have made me a true believer! They will be nationally ranked in the next year or two, guaranteed.

With all due respect to Coach Hermes, your team doesn't stand a chance to beat Legacy out for the D3 title this year. I'm sure you guys take pride in your program, but you will never be able to compete with the monster Jason Brown has created in Xenia, Ohio. These guys train 340 days a year probably and Jason's full time job is building the program. He is probably the best wrestling parent in Ohio and knows what he is doing! They had a bunch of hired guns a couple years ago, but he chose to move them all down the road. At the time, it seemed like Legacy was falling apart, but I have to give major credit to JB. He got rid of every problem family & decided to surround himself with a bunch of 2nd tier level wrestlers that hadn't accomplished much in grade school or middle school. Seems like a knock, but the end result has been incredible as Jason Brown is now the clear leader on the Legacy campus with a bunch of quality Indians following him. He has taken a bunch of average kids and turned them into flat out studs! Both the kids & parents have bought in and they have trained like crazy. Everyone harps on the program for recruiting, but all I see is Jason Brown turning every day kids into hammers! Say what you want, but Gavin Brown is one of the top 5, pound for pound, wrestlers in the State of Ohio, regardless of division. The kid is legit and his dad has done an incredible job with him! Gavin is the clear & confident leader of that team and the other kids know it! Jason Brown is building a true "legacy" that is going to do damage for years to come! I had my doubts for a while, but they have made me a true believer! They will be nationally ranked in the next year or two, guaranteed.
After reading that I’m a believer too! Now Edison knows what’s up if Covid 19 doesn’t let it happen. Congratulations Legacy it’s yours to lose, good luck!

MitSulHer, why you hating on Coffman. Mitch always did well against them. lol

Just kidding with you buddy. You are right they are the top team hands down in Central Ohio, they were the last two years and should be a few more.

I think a lot of times when you get move in's/transfers it's because the Room, a good room can do wonders and when you throw in the fact that these schools listed above have outstanding coaches, it's a done deal. Just my 2cents

And with the exception of Graham, those are all pretty high quality academic institutions that sell themselves easily even before sports are factored in.

Thankfully those 2nd tier “average” guys like Dillon, Boede and Gavin found such a great coach!!

Anybody come on here and take a jab at a family , let’s remember kids don’t choose their parents ! They also don’t choose their parents behavior’s and actions ! It’s no ones business what a family decides too do pertaining to this ! Justified by any means , educational , physically , mentally etc , it’s no ones business! I used to tell my kid when he lost to an older kid , he’s older , you have to work harder ! With college being the expense that it is , getting the most out the sport , any sport is rewarding on the financial end then so be it ! Maybe helping on the educational side as well! In the end calling out 1 kid on yappi doodle is horse crap , especially hiding behind a screen name! Just my opinion! I hope there is a wrestling season this year, kids got robbed last year ! Good luck to all !!!

Anybody come on here and take a jab at a family , let’s remember kids don’t choose their parents ! They also don’t choose their parents behavior’s and actions ! It’s no ones business what a family decides too do pertaining to this ! Justified by any means , educational , physically , mentally etc , it’s no ones business! I used to tell my kid when he lost to an older kid , he’s older , you have to work harder ! With college being the expense that it is , getting the most out the sport , any sport is rewarding on the financial end then so be it ! Maybe helping on the educational side as well! In the end calling out 1 kid on yappi doodle is horse crap , especially hiding behind a screen name! Just my opinion! I hope there is a wrestling season this year, kids got robbed last year ! Good luck to all !!!
Totally agree !!! People look for an edge in competition. Are their actions best for the youngsters? Many times it may not be the best decision. But, is it any of my business? Nope Then to start naming individuals is really wrong. Anyone that supports this is wrong IMO

I see your point and disapproval, but sometimes what you see on the outside may not be, what you don't see on the inside. My sons graduated 2019 from Fairfield, no they weren't twins. One was diagnosed with a learning disability after 2nd grade and repeated the grade with the aid of the intervention program. Nothing about sports participation was thought of because of other life changing situations for the boys. When they entered 7th grade, they wanted to wrestle because that's what their dad did( no pressure, just support; I'm sure if I played golf in high school, they probably would choose that because I did and to best me( got a competitive gene). One son had some medical issues and the right move was to have him wait a year, because his health is number one. One was 19 yrs. old on 1/11/19 and the other son was 18yrs. old on 5/16/19. I wasn't a world beater when I wrestled and fell out of love for the sport after the temporary rule change in the 92' post season that had a wrestler carry another onto the next round. The decision that are made that has a kid put back a grade, to most/ everyone that decision is for that family to deal with and we on the outside may look at have our opinions, but we can ask them, conversation helps and not get angry( hell, I've seen 8th graders trade moves and devour 12th graders and the same for 9th graders beating up college guys. My motivation for my boys wrestling was to stay out of trouble, keeping their grades up, worry about girls later, and wrestling's other life lessons.
Good points! You've raised some great young men. Now, get working on the upcoming 20-21 "Darthmalice college breakdown"! :D