Another bites the dust, Anderson HS Redskins no more.

I've had some interest in Native American feelings over the term "redskin" since Miami changed its mascot more than 20 years ago. Everything I've read seems to show that the feelings are mixed. There are those passionately against it, and others who don't care. If schools want to honor Native Americans as their mascots, I like the idea of honoring specific tribes, like the Florida State Seminoles or Central Michigan Chippewas. Do any high schools in Ohio do that? Far more interesting than Redskins or Indians.

I do think having team names based on tribes like Seminoles, Illini, or Chippewas is probably the best course of action as you can realistically have a strong relationship with the tribe's leadership and get an official blessing-more so than some general terms like Braves, Warriors, etc.

Whats up obie? You need to stop watching mainstream media bud ? would you be surprised if i said im a millenial and im already smarter than you? Go do your own research instead of being lazy and assuming you are right.
Infowars and Fox News aren't "research". Just an FYI.
I apologize for assuming you were a Boomer considering you write and think like someone who's about 50 years past their prime.
Out of curiosity do you sit in the back booth at Mcdonald's for breakfast with all the old crusties in your town?

Infowars and Fox News aren't "research". Just an FYI.
I apologize for assuming you were a Boomer considering you write and think like someone who's about 50 years past their prime.
Out of curiosity do you sit in the back booth at Mcdonald's for breakfast with all the old crusties in your town?
oh im sorry big guy, i dont think i type like im old at all? And no i dont ? thats a very bizarre take tho. Youre right i dont look at fox or infowars. There you go assuming again!!! idk what to say anymore, that is what is wrong with people. they assume everything and dont dig deeper to find the truth. so no, its not as easy at turning on the tv obie.

They try to say they are the black knights but we used to be in a league with them. They go by the big blacks and it’s for the black horse knights would ride.

View attachment 8240
Dawg, they call themselves "Big Black" and the only thing black is their helmets and tertiary color on their jerseys.
That's not only outlandishly dumb, but also a comically irresponsible waste of potential.

Also, I'm happy this thread is goin exactly where I expected it to.
Now back to watching the ape exhibit.

943m.gif

It is almost beyond me how the Beavercreek "Beavers" have endured this long in the age of the skirts in charge.
Back in the day it was a close call when somebody called foul on calling Eaton the "Beavers" as well....Our loss.

Your white privilege seeps through the letters. It is sad that folks like you continue to justify the use of a clearly derogatory racial slur as liberal crying. Your right about one thing though, it is history, one of distrust, murder and oppression. Leave it to folks like you to force those that were affected to "accept the history " and just deal with it. The most high profile pro sports team in the nation's capital is a racial slur but because certain folks thinks it is history it should be fine or folks should just get over it, amazing?

That article can be the same for you. There are very many native americans that are Washington Redskins fans! And how tf do you figure that I have white privilege?? I am not necessarily white for one thing. Second thing is if you believe there is something as ridiculous as "white privilege" you are a disgusting human being. ANYONE can be successful in this country today, regardless of your stupid skin color. Stop watching the dam* main stream media guys, its going to ruin us all. Theres plenty of other race stuff going on, black on white included, but the msm wont cover that because it doesnt fit their agenda. I like to say that there isnt races, theres just 2 types of people: good people and bad people. You thinking that "white privilege" is a thing might actually be quite racist. Dont be a fool, do your own research #Trump2020

That article can be the same for you. There are very many native americans that are Washington Redskins fans! And how tf do you figure that I have white privilege?? I am not necessarily white for one thing. Second thing is if you believe there is something as ridiculous as "white privilege" you are a disgusting human being. ANYONE can be successful in this country today, regardless of your stupid skin color. Stop watching the dam* main stream media guys, its going to ruin us all. Theres plenty of other race stuff going on, black on white included, but the msm wont cover that because it doesnt fit their agenda. I like to say that there isnt races, theres just 2 types of people: good people and bad people. You thinking that "white privilege" is a thing might actually be quite racist. Dont be a fool, do your own research #Trump2020
You do realize the world is not full of absolutes, right? It is possible to understand the name change & not be a bleeding heart? It is possible to understand that once slaves were freed it was almost 100 years before blacks had same rights as whites nationwide?
This thread has seemed to become your own personal bully pulpit. Entertain some new ideas, consider them, but keep your personal morality. It won’t change you, just help you see the world a little clearer.

You do realize the world is not full of absolutes, right? It is possible to understand the name change & not be a bleeding heart? It is possible to understand that once slaves were freed it was almost 100 years before blacks had same rights as whites nationwide?
This thread has seemed to become your own personal bully pulpit. Entertain some new ideas, consider them, but keep your personal morality. It won’t change you, just help you see the world a little clearer.
I do understand the name change, but is it really necessary right now? Is this going to solve everything? Call them the foreskins, oh wait that is going to offend women since they dont have foreskins. Just call them the Washington football team because liberals will claim the tigers will be offended soon.

You do realize the world is not full of absolutes, right?
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes."
-Obi-Wan Kenobi

I do understand the name change, but is it really necessary right now? Is this going to solve everything? Call them the foreskins, oh wait that is going to offend women since they dont have foreskins. Just call them the Washington football team because liberals will claim the tigers will be offended soon.
Dawg, that's a bigger and dumber strawman than the one Dorthy walked down the yellow brick road with.
...and he was looking for a brain.

Whether they are fans or not, the fact that we are using a racial slur to identify a team... That is wrong now and wrong 100 years ago. Your privilege allows you to believe that because a few Native Americans may or may not think changing the name is a good idea makes it OK to keep.

Your right, anyone can be successful in this country but for many, success has to come at the odds of some very structured and systemic factors that have been established over longs periods of time.

The fact that an opinion stated in actual facts and statistics now has lead to you labeling me as a "disgusting human being". You have, in a post devalued me as a person because I simply do not agree with you. I do not need to do any more research. I live it on a daily basis.

Do good people label others disgusting humans because they have a different OP?

The question asking you as a person, no creed, no color, no bias. Is using a racial slur an epithet, acceptable as a recognizable mascot of a Multi million dollar sports franchise? I think it's wrong and many folks of the prevailing culture disagree and blame it on history, the past, celebration, etc., etc., etc. That is white privilege, you have chosen how people should feel based on how you feel and what has been acceptable in this country buy those whom have made the rules.

I do not think you are a disgusting human.. I just think you have an opinion that is wrong and vested in issues that this country has refused to deal with for years. I still value you as a person and the lives of all of the children of the almighty.

Now, how does the Washington Warriors sound?

It’s really been overstated the fanbase reach of the Washington football team, and it’s dubious to suggest there’s a sizable Native American fanbase. For the past 25 years, it’s been basically a third-tier franchise. It’s arguably the least successful NFC East team in recent memory, its geographic reach and national following is pretty minimal compared to other divisional foes. It has a bad owner, who really screwed the team for the last decade when he wouldn’t listen at all to his 3 Super Bowl ring-holding coach.

Setting aside the “controversy” of changing the name, a name change is probably the needed shot in the arm for the franchise. It’s had issues getting butts in the seats at FedEx Field for a while. It’s a franchise that’s stuck in the mud. Change can be good. It’s going to do nothing but good for the organization.

Being from St. Henry I do not expect anything soon about this issue, as it involves our school. People have definitely been talking about it around town, but mostly in a condescending manner. As a white guy I cannot sit here and say what is or what is not offensive to other groups of people, but I would have no issue with changing the name. In the grand scheme of things it is something that can be changed.

I’m from Wapak, I think “moonwalkers” is a pretty cringe name. Honestly I would go with Wapakoneta Warriors
Where I agree with you, moonwalkers suck, I think theres a lot of potential with the community's unique relationship with the moon. You could go with Warriors, sure. Like SC12 said, don't have to change the logo. But I still stand that, regardless of alliteration, "Warriors" is lame and overdone.
When the opportunity arises (and I'm sure it will) I hope ya'll think outside the box and go with something special.

...Or be the Bulldogs and complete the WBL Bulldog 4square.

Where I agree with you, moonwalkers suck, I think theres a lot of potential with the community's unique relationship with the moon. You could go with Warriors, sure. Like SC12 said, don't have to change the logo. But I still stand that, regardless of alliteration, "Warriors" is lame and overdone.
When the opportunity arises (and I'm sure it will) I hope ya'll think outside the box and go with something special.

...Or be the Bulldogs and complete the WBL Bulldog 4square.
Wapakoneta Giants ... as in "leap for mankind"

When black people stop calling each other the N-word then we get serious about changing names. What is considered a slur today wasn’t back when those names were given. See, we used to be able to find humor in ourselves and have fun... then the nerds took over. Bunch of sissies. Work harder, you have too much time on your hands.
i agree with Where the grass grows greener.
LIMIT THE POLITICAL AND RACIAL POSTS.

When black people stop calling each other the N-word then we get serious about changing names. What is considered a slur today wasn’t back when those names were given. See, we used to be able to find humor in ourselves and have fun... then the nerds took over. Bunch of sissies. Work harder, you have too much time on your hands.
Interesting take.. on another note, as if the Washington Redskins don't already have an eff'd up offseason, anyone else see Dan Snyder has sex trafficking allegations? Report says he was on Epstein's list. Also, says Jay Gruden is in touble but doesn't say what

This might be the biggest Boomer-Energy post, I've seen so far.
6617754_0.jpg