Another bites the dust, Anderson HS Redskins no more.

2014 was some of my first comments on this, don't be surprised if this is just the beginning. Not sure how this date in time justifies the change now.

Anderson HS Eliminates 'Redskins' Mascot

My Navajo cousins in N. M. love the Cleveland Indians!! They are always asking me for Chief Wahoo stuff. Told them it is getting harder to find.

Reactions: y2h
Probably will keep the orange and black and be the Tigers. Why don’t people find a nickname like the Fighting Irish offensive?

i think common sense addresses the Redskins vs. Irish issue. I don't think anyone would have problems with "Chiefs" or "Warriors" but "Redskins" was and is very much a racial slur.

How about the Anderson Aardvarks? :)
1593807091542.jpeg

Both Anderson and Turpin are in the Forest Hills School District. A movement has started, perhaps tongue in cheek, that Turpin Spartans should be changed because the Spartans has slaves.

Well, lets keep the Skins part going since it is only the RED that deems it wrong I guess. Lets keep the memory of our forefathers alive so that would leave us with the Anderson Foreskins.

Now, what would the mascot look like?

i think common sense addresses the Redskins vs. Irish issue. I don't think anyone would have problems with "Chiefs" or "Warriors" but "Redskins" was and is very much a racial slur.

How about the Anderson Aardvarks? :)
View attachment 8152
how about you stop being a about your "racial slurs," schools with the redskin logo are very proud of their logo. Very honored to present the history of the land before them

Unless it has since been updated, the last time I was at the Anderson football stadium (Brown Stadium, I believe is the name) they only put down a black and orange "A" at midfield, with no "Redskins" on the surface.

While I am sure that there was some financial consideration there, I'm sure the athletic office can rest easy on that piece at least. There will be a lot of overhaul on athletic facilities, signage etc. on campus. Fortunately Anderson is a rather affluent community so that shouldn't be a major obstacle for them. Will be done in phases, I'd guess. Not sure what their basketball court looks like, but that's usually the most complicated thing to redo outside of a outdoor synthetic turf field.

I think at one time the Anderson Lacrosse team went by The Orange-like Syracuse. Could see that as a possibility.

My guess is they will have a naming contest where students, staff, alumni etc. can submit names and the will run a contest with 4-5 options.