Dayton Area Basketball

No I was being serious. You add a 6’5 shooter and a couple other players on top of what they already had. Plus word is they may be getting a couple of the Trotwood freshman that team has potential to be really good

So, possibly, they can go from a state wide embarrassment ( the Trotwood game) to one of the best teams in Dayton. Perhaps the coach had some magic behind his madness.

No I was being serious. You add a 6’5 shooter and a couple other players on top of what they already had. Plus word is they may be getting a couple of the Trotwood freshman that team has potential to be really good

Doing it the old fashion way huh.... stealing players from other schools and playing a really weak schedule! lol

Good move for McCullough - Springfield should be top 3 in that league almost every year.
Way to go out on a limb as Springfield has finished in top 2 since 2014 except for 2015 when they made a regional final. McCullough might be a great hire but if you think he improves the program that much they win the league 2 out of every 4 years and takes them to stats or even wins a title

Way to go out on a limb as Springfield has finished in top 2 since 2014 except for 2015 when they made a regional final. McCullough might be a great hire but if you think he improves the program that much they win the league 2 out of every 4 years and takes them to stats or even wins a title
Why couldn’t he improve it?

Why couldn’t he improve it?
My apologies....businessend said top 3 annually which is not better than what they have been. Since 2014 besides for 2015 a year they were regional runner up Springfield finished first or second in the league. Can Mccullogh improve on that? It will be hard to do but yes it is possible. Springfield has a lot of talent. I was speaking more towards the comment of being top 3 which Carson had them

Good move for McCullough - Springfield should be top 3 in that league almost every year.
Which means they have to be better than Beavercreek and Fairmont each year. Not a very high bar.

Bobcat lays it out nicely above, but I see bobcat has already downplayed even those expectations stating a talent drop. We'll see. He's done well lately so who knows?

Good hire for Springfield. I do not see a lot of kids from Dayton heading east on 70 for the simply fact that the proximity will make it hard. They said the same thing about Mo Doug when he moved out there. What I do believe, coach Shawn will be able to do is keep those Springfield kids there, which has been the real problem. He keeps those kids in house. He will just be just fine. Mo has shut that pipeline down and Coach Shawn will too. I will go out on a limb and and say the folks up in Huber are a little worried?

Maybe I should have clarified - In the new GWOC (Beavercreek, Centerville, Fairmont, Miamisburg, Northmont, Springboro, Wayne), Springfield should be top 3 every year and win their share of league championships. That would set them up nicely for a deep tournament run. That type of stability is a good move for Coach McCullough.

Maybe I should have clarified - In the new GWOC (Beavercreek, Centerville, Fairmont, Miamisburg, Northmont, Springboro, Wayne), Springfield should be top 3 every year and win their share of league championships. That would set them up nicely for a deep tournament run. That type of stability is a good move for Coach McCullough.
Maybe I should clarify.... since 2014 in the current GWOC Springfield has finished first or second every year besides 2015 when they went to a regional final and consistently made district and regional appearances. Now if you say they win the league most years and go to state every so often that is an improvement. Your stating they’ll stay status quo for where the program is. It’s unfortunate about their last coach as he provided stability and created a culture that many thought would happen when schools consolidated. Yes McCullough is a good hire but to improve on the previous seven years will be a tall task especially considering the competition in SW district

If the talent pool is heavy in Springfield it’s a great move. I had a few more people tell me that there is not a lot of basketball talent currently in the city in middle school or HS. I hope Shawn has patience. And more so the town of Springfield. Because if the team starts losing, they will blame him, not the talent level.

Last edited:
Good hire for Springfield. I do not see a lot of kids from Dayton heading east on 70 for the simply fact that the proximity will make it hard. They said the same thing about Mo Doug when he moved out there. What I do believe, coach Shawn will be able to do is keep those Springfield kids there, which has been the real problem. He keeps those kids in house. He will just be just fine. Mo has shut that pipeline down and Coach Shawn will too. I will go out on a limb and and say the folks up in Huber are a little worried?

Carson kept Springfield kids at Springfield. Who is the last Springfield kid to transfer out?

If the talent pool is heavy in Springfield it’s a great move. I had a few more people tell me that there is not a lot of basketball talent currently in the city in middle school or HS. I hope Shawn has patience. And more so the town of Springfield. Because if the team starts losing, they will blame him, not the talent level.
False

Which part is false?
Majority of it. The town is not going to blame him if it starts slow(look at Mo first couple of years).

there are some very talented individuals coming up that pieced together with classes before them or after them can be very good. The senior class this year won the Gwoc in 7th grade was final 4 8th grade finished 3rd in gwoc and didn’t make it out of sectionals. The previous senior class ( Moss/ Sanford)probably didn’t win 8 games in 2 years of middle school won the league, sectionals, and districts

The Moss/Sanford class was really bad in middle school. Middle school basketball is not always a good predictor of future development or success. I would have never predicted that group would win a district championship and produce a D1 basketball player.

Springfield is a school where at worst you should almost always be able to mesh pieces from 2-3 classes into something that's pretty solid. It might take a year or two to reset, but as long as kids stay they should stay the course as a consistent league and district championship threat.

There is always a chance once your playing in the regional finals. Likely? Hell no.
Majority of it. The town is not going to blame him if it starts slow(look at Mo first couple of years).

there are some very talented individuals coming up that pieced together with classes before them or after them can be very good. The senior class this year won the Gwoc in 7th grade was final 4 8th grade finished 3rd in gwoc and didn’t make it out of sectionals. The previous senior class ( Moss/ Sanford)probably didn’t win 8 games in 2 years of middle school won the league, sectionals, and districts
Not a good analogy with football. Football was bad when the Douglass coach inherited. Basketball has been very successful throughout Carson era. Last year can be excused with the chaos surrounding program. And that 2020 class that was so successful is middle school turned into a football class, thanks in part to the success of Douglass among the reasons.

Last edited: