Elder Football 2020

Is there any chance Elder changes their base Defense to a 4-3 to better match personnel? Tucker is the only one who can really play NT in the 3-4, but it looks like they might need him more on the OL. I think you might see Larkins lined up more on the LOS to help in Pass Protection as well.

St. Xavier is shutting football down due to a player testing positive for coronavirus.

The fall sports season will be here in the blink of an eye. The OHSAA is going to need to announce some more official guidelines soon.

I think there will be a lot of forfeits this season. Every school district will have different policies on if a team can play or not. Some schools might shut everything down if one players gets it. Others might just isolate the one player only, but continue to practice/play. There might even be a school that won't allow their team to play against a team that had a recent positive diagnosis. This season will not be short on drama.

Is there any chance Elder changes their base Defense to a 4-3 to better match personnel? Tucker is the only one who can really play NT in the 3-4, but it looks like they might need him more on the OL. I think you might see Larkins lined up more on the LOS to help in Pass Protection as well.

I don't think so. I think you will see Tucker playing on both sides of the ball this season.

I don't think so. I think you will see Tucker playing on both sides of the ball this season.

Didn't he switch to D exclusively at the end of the year? I can’t get away from the fact this team reminds me so much of the 2016 team. Solid Defensive unit, good players on each level, but they’ll need to protect the QB

St. Xavier is shutting football down due to a player testing positive for coronavirus.

The fall sports season will be here in the blink of an eye. The OHSAA is going to need to announce some more official guidelines soon.

I think there will be a lot of forfeits this season. Every school district will have different policies on if a team can play or not. Some schools might shut everything down if one players gets it. Others might just isolate the one player only, but continue to practice/play. There might even be a school that won't allow their team to play against a team that had a recent positive diagnosis. This season will not be short on drama.
Better to get it now than during the season, but if we’re going to have a meltdown over every positive test, just cancel the season. It’s not worth sitting on pins and needles every friggin week waiting for someone to test +.

I don’t understand shutting the whole thing down for one positive case. How is it any different than a classroom setting? are they going to shut the whole school down if/when a kid gets it when classes start?

The virus isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. I agree that its Pointless to even start if you’re just going to shut it down with one positive test.

This country is going to have to figure out a way to coexist with this virus. You can’t just keep shutting everything down.

lasalle shut down to for positive covid.....also heard loveland and sycamore affected
I know it’s not PC to say this, but it’s NBD for someone that age. Keep them away from their grandparents and everything will be fine. But again, if we’re going to lose our s**t over every + test, just cancel the season bc it’s inevitably going to hit EVERY school.

I don’t understand shutting the whole thing down for one positive case. How is it any different than a classroom setting? are they going to shut the whole school down if/when a kid gets it when classes start?

The virus isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. I agree that its Pointless to even start if you’re just going to shut it down with one positive test.

This country is going to have to figure out a way to coexist with this virus. You can’t just keep shutting everything down.

I believe it is up to the school district right now on how they want to handle a positive case. Most are probably getting recommendations from the local health department/districts. Shutting everything down is the safest thing to do right now so that is what they will be doing I guess. Obviously, this will not work for fall sports or for kids getting back into classrooms. There seems to be little guidance right now on how teams are to handle positive cases.

lasalle shut down to for positive covid.....also heard loveland and sycamore affected

Sycamore is still having workouts per fox19 this morning. CPS chose blended learning last night. 2 at School then 3 at Home, then the opposite the following week. Really curious to see how this works for Sports. Some kids won’t be allowed on campus to learn on a Monday or Tuesday but they will be allowed on campus for practice?

Good news for the Catholic schools with the Supreme Court's decision allowing state education money to be used for religious schools. CPS needs to be very careful. Now that they have decided they are a part time sub par educational facility it really opens the door for their tax dollars to go to more charter, open enrollment, and private schools.

I heard of at least 3 kids that have tested positive for COVID-19 on the team.....hopefully this happening now is a good thing versus happening later in the pre-season/season

Good news for the Catholic schools with the Supreme Court's decision allowing state education money to be used for religious schools. CPS needs to be very careful. Now that they have decided they are a part time sub par educational facility it really opens the door for their tax dollars to go to more charter, open enrollment, and private schools.
Today's Supreme Court decision in Espinoza vs. Montana Department of Revenue should be good news for both Catholic and other religious schools. However, only time will tell. The quote I've seen shared the most from the majority opinion in the case is, "A state need not subsidize private education. But once a State decides to do so, it cannot disqualify some private schools solely because they are religious." I'm not sure how much impact this decision will have in Ohio since our state didn’t have a so-called Blaine Amendment in place as Montana and another 3 dozen other states did.

Better to get it now than during the season, but if we’re going to have a meltdown over every positive test, just cancel the season. It’s not worth sitting on pins and needles every friggin week waiting for someone to test +.
Agreed! I had heard that Freshman football has been shut down for two weeks due to a positive test. Is this accurate? The way things are shutting down makes me concerned if there will be a season?

Agreed! I had heard that Freshman football has been shut down for two weeks due to a positive test. Is this accurate? The way things are shutting down makes me concerned if there will be a season?
Again, if that’s the response with every + test, just cancel the season. I hate to do that to the kids, but it doesn’t seem possible to avoid this in season.

My elder son's HS just did the same. The flu is more deadly for people under 25. Leaders need to learn/improve. There will be cases and you can't shut it down each time a case is identified.

It’s July 1st, camp is supposed to start at the end of this month and the season starts in less than 2 months. If they can’t put together a reasonable protocol, I’m not sure how a season can take place. This isn’t college or the NFL, you can’t quarantine the entire team to a dorm or hotel, so there’s not many options.

Once official practice starts on August 1st, they will have to take a different approach with positive cases. Right now it is just summer workouts, and the best approach is to be overly cautious and shut everything down. Come August 1st, the only approach in order to be able to have a season is to isolate the single player for the mandated time they are suppose to quarantine. Ideally, your team follows the best practices to stay healthy to a T, and you have limited kids testing positive. The opposite approach is there would be an advantage for kids to have already gotten this as your chances of getting it a second time are smaller.

Back to August 1st, in order to have a season, you will have to isolate the infected player. I think you then have the team get tested to isolate any other infected players. You cannot shut everything down for 1-2 weeks.

This is what I would think would need to happen if someone tests positive for coronavirus in order to have a season:
1. Infected player is isolated for mandated amount of days.
2. The players, coaches, team personnel are tested. Additional positive cases are isolated for mandated amount of days.
3. Shut facilities down for 1 day for proper cleaning. If it takes longer to properly clean, then you take additional time off.
4. This is on top of the government guidelines for safely returning to contact sports.

Once the season starts, the teams/players that can best stay healthy by following best practice guidelines will be at a good advantage of other teams that could possibly have this take out a large portion of the team. In that case, they would need to forfeit the game or play without a lot of starters.

So it looks like alot of people wont be able to go to games this year. Is Elders season ticket base higher than 2,500?

With parents and students, some may be left out. Another plan to have to figure out.

This article fully indicates August 1st is a go as well as a 10 game season with playoffs. The plan is a maximum of 2,500 fans based on stadium capacity.

Will the OHSAA change the rules to allow schools to broadcast away games? I’m thinking mostly about the Coffman and Moeller games.

But the better question is why can’t they allow full capacity as long as masks are required? We saw protests all across the country with hundreds of thousands of people packed in like a student section, and we’re told that’s okay as long as masks are worn.

This article says OHSAA has had talks of multiple plans for the season. The two mentioned in the article are a 10 game season with playoffs and also a 5 game season with playoffs. This article also indicates August 1st is a go, but the OHSAA is waiting on guidance from the Governor on some things.

Will the OHSAA change the rules to allow schools to broadcast away games? I’m thinking mostly about the Coffman and Moeller games.

But the better question is why can’t they allow full capacity as long as masks are required? We saw protests all across the country with hundreds of thousands of people packed in like a student section, and we’re told that’s okay as long as masks are worn.

Makes sense to me. Everyone is packed into the PIT pretty tightly though. I'll be happy just getting to watch the game online.

Makes sense to me. Everyone is packed into the PIT pretty tightly though. I'll be happy just getting to watch the game online.
And they weren’t packed in tight at protests? I understand why protests are seen as more important than a football game, but you can’t legislate morality. If one mass gathering is acceptable, then all mass gatherings are acceptable under those same conditions.

When was the last time the Pit was packed? I have been to huge games there in the past 5 years and it's not like 20 years ago where every game was sold out and standing room only. It's been shocking to see the drop. I have family on Seton right by St. Lawrence intersection, and they used to have people park in front of their house every Friday Elder played at home and if it was a GCL game they'd start showing up about 5 pm, but that hasn't happened in at least 10 years, even for playoff games. They were Elder season ticket holders but stopped about 7 years ago since you can walk up now no problem and buy your ticket at the gate and still get good seats.

I heard of at least 3 kids that have tested positive for COVID-19 on the team.....hopefully this happening now is a good thing versus happening later in the pre-season/season

I have heard 2. Be interesting to see how things go in the next month

When was the last time the Pit was packed? I have been to huge games there in the past 5 years and it's not like 20 years ago where every game was sold out and standing room only. It's been shocking to see the drop. I have family on Seton right by St. Lawrence intersection, and they used to have people park in front of their house every Friday Elder played at home and if it was a GCL game they'd start showing up about 5 pm, but that hasn't happened in at least 10 years, even for playoff games. They were Elder season ticket holders but stopped about 7 years ago since you can walk up now no problem and buy your ticket at the gate and still get good seats.

I think you know the point was it’s still crowded on a relative basis, at least to where you can’t have everyone six feet apart. And don’t pretend it’s only Elder that’s seen a drop in attendance, it’s every school.

I think you know the point was it’s still crowded on a relative basis, at least to where you can’t have everyone six feet apart. And don’t pretend it’s only Elder that’s seen a drop in attendance, it’s every school.
Excellent points! I wasn't trying to say it was only Elder with a drop in attendance.

They just need to open up and screw everything else.....all the kids that are positive are asymptomatic....let in run through the team and build some herd immunity....everyone needs to quit being vaginas

They just need to open up and screw everything else.....all the kids that are positive are asymptomatic....let in run through the team and build some herd immunity....everyone needs to quit being vaginas
That’s what I’ve been saying since this started. We need to quarantine the elderly and those with weak immune systems, but if you’re young, especially 14-18 yrs old, the regular flu is a far bigger threat.