Recreational Golf 2020

I'm in the Youngstown-Warren area, and a couple of my favorites are Oak Tree, (literally) just across the PA line in West Middlesex; and Yankee Run in Brookfield, near the PA line but still in Ohio. Tam-O-Shanter is another quality PA course very close to those two. Kennsington and Reserve Run are both fun, as is Knoll Run; Mill Creek has the tradition, and Flying B and Salem Hills are both challenging tracks in the western part of Mahoning County. And last year I discovered the wonder of SugarBush in Garrettsville, played twice in 2019 and have already been there three times this year.
I caddied as a teen at Oak Tree, but never played it. Deer Creek was at the edge of my neighborhood, an easy ten-minute walk. And, I am very familiar with Pine Lakes near the high school. I remember Yankee Run and Tam-O-Shanter, as well. And, of course, Mill Creek. Good times - a long time ago. :)

I'm in the Youngstown-Warren area, and a couple of my favorites are Oak Tree, (literally) just across the PA line in West Middlesex; and Yankee Run in Brookfield, near the PA line but still in Ohio. Tam-O-Shanter is another quality PA course very close to those two. Kennsington and Reserve Run are both fun, as is Knoll Run; Mill Creek has the tradition, and Flying B and Salem Hills are both challenging tracks in the western part of Mahoning County. And last year I discovered the wonder of SugarBush in Garrettsville, played twice in 2019 and have already been there three times this year.

Sugar Bush is a classic old beauty.

I like Kensington and love Reserve Run. The pace of play at Kensington sometimes seems a bit slow. I'm not a fan of Mill Creek, but have played it several times. Agree on Flying B and Salem Hills. I actually think Salem Hills is one of the tougher courses. I've only played Sugar Bush twice, years ago, and don't remember much of the course.

Played one of my better rounds in my league this week. 7 pars and 2 bogeys for a 37. The nine is short so if I am driving it well I can score well. Could just as well be 47 next week!

Sugar Bush is a classic old beauty.

I love Sugar Bush and it is a hidden gem. It has a very Donald Ross vibe to the track with routing that takes advantage of the topography and few man made tricks to define the holes. Another hallmark is a variety of holes the course and I feel like I have used every club in the bag after a round. Well worth the trip off the Turnpike.

I love Sugar Bush and it is a hidden gem. It has a very Donald Ross vibe to the track with routing that takes advantage of the topography and few man made tricks to define the holes. Another hallmark is a variety of holes the course and I feel like I have used every club in the bag after a round. Well worth the trip off the Turnpike.

Good call. Just a solid old fashioned golf course.

Played one of my better rounds in my league this week. 7 pars and 2 bogeys for a 37. The nine is short so if I am driving it well I can score well. Could just as well be 47 next week!
Sounds like you just had to get rid of those damn birdies!

I caddied as a teen at Oak Tree, but never played it. Deer Creek was at the edge of my neighborhood, an easy ten-minute walk. And, I am very familiar with Pine Lakes near the high school. I remember Yankee Run and Tam-O-Shanter, as well. And, of course, Mill Creek. Good times - a long time ago. :)

Deer Creek is OK but would definitely be in the second or third tier of courses in the Youngstown-Warren-Sharon, PA-area. The power lines and two short 90-degree doglegs are drawbacks. Doughton Golf Course in Hubbard closed about 5-10 years ago. Donnybrook, a 9-hole track back in the day near Deer Creek, may be closed, too. I'm playing at Pine Lakes tomorrow. They built some new holes there about 10-15 years ago and were planning on a small housing development in the spaces vacated by the old holes, but it was at the height of the housing crisis (2008-2009...?) and the project never got off the ground. Candywood Golf Course in Vienna closed about 5 years ago, as did Diamondback (Leffingwell) out in Canfield, along with a few others in the tri-county area.

Stambaugh Muni, a 9-hole track operated by the city of Youngstown on the north side, is an interesting layout with a short but tough opening par 4; a tee shot you have to hit over a fenced road crossing at Fifth Avenue (#7); then the 625-yard all downhill par 5 (#8), and a challenging uphill par 4 (#9). Unfortunately, I don't think it's opened this year due to the virus restrictions.

Oak Tree is a very nice layout, with well-designed and challenging holes, and a good visual vibe. But money woes and ownership power struggles have resulted in some neglect and very limited pro shop and beverage/food options.

The king remains Ron Klingle and his Avalon Holdings Group. They own and operate Avalon Lakes (a Pete Dye design), Squaw Creek, Avalon at Buhl (former Sharon Country Club), and now the former New Castle Country Club. Membership allows for play at all four courses, and they have developed a robust separate social membership program with activities and bar/restaurant/pool/outdoor dining at all locations.

Deer Creek is OK but would definitely be in the second or third tier of courses in the Youngstown-Warren-Sharon, PA-area. The power lines and two short 90-degree doglegs are drawbacks. Doughton Golf Course in Hubbard closed about 5-10 years ago. Donnybrook, a 9-hole track back in the day near Deer Creek, may be closed, too. I'm playing at Pine Lakes tomorrow. They built some new holes there about 10-15 years ago and were planning on a small housing development in the spaces vacated by the old holes, but it was at the height of the housing crisis (2008-2009...?) and the project never got off the ground. Candywood Golf Course in Vienna closed about 5 years ago, as did Diamondback (Leffingwell) out in Canfield, along with a few others in the tri-county area.

Stambaugh Muni, a 9-hole track operated by the city of Youngstown on the north side, is an interesting layout with a short but tough opening par 4; a tee shot you have to hit over a fenced road crossing at Fifth Avenue (#7); then the 625-yard all downhill par 5 (#8), and a challenging uphill par 4 (#9). Unfortunately, I don't think it's opened this year due to the virus restrictions.

Oak Tree is a very nice layout, with well-designed and challenging holes, and a good visual vibe. But money woes and ownership power struggles have resulted in some neglect and very limited pro shop and beverage/food options.

The king remains Ron Klingle and his Avalon Holdings Group. They own and operate Avalon Lakes (a Pete Dye design), Squaw Creek, Avalon at Buhl (former Sharon Country Club), and now the former New Castle Country Club. Membership allows for play at all four courses, and they have developed a robust separate social membership program with activities and bar/restaurant/pool/outdoor dining at all locations.
Yeah, Deer Creek was my learning course. I think I shot something like 125 the first time out. lol Hate the 90-degree doglegs. I had forgotten about Doughton and Donnybrook. Interesting info about the other courses. Thanks for sharing. I checked out the Stambauch Muni layout w/5th Avenue.

Many courses here have closed, too, often becoming housing developments and such. A few of the best in this area are Sedgefield (PGA Tour), Tanglewood, Oak Hollow and Bryan Park for anyone who is bored and cares to research them. :) Of course, the Pinehurst area is not too far away.

While playing yesterday I hit an errant shot near a water hazard and found a Kirtland Signature golf ball, decided to give it a try and the sucker was actually a good ball and played similarly to the Pro V1 & Bridgestone B series that I regularly use. Now my folks live on a course and I have an endless supply of golf balls so price means nothing to me but if price was an issue I would have no problem playing this ball.

While playing yesterday I hit an errant shot near a water hazard and found a Kirtland Signature golf ball, decided to give it a try and the sucker was actually a good ball and played similarly to the Pro V1 & Bridgestone B series that I regularly use. Now my folks live on a course and I have an endless supply of golf balls so price means nothing to me but if price was an issue I would have no problem playing this ball.
I have been playing these this season. Got as a Christmas gift this year. They are/were hard to find at Costco from what I understand. I picked up a dozen at play it again sports recently too. I like them. I think Titleist sued them a few years ago.

Kirkland (Costco) has been through a series of balls for the last 4 years or so. Their original 4 piece ball was outstanding and they couldn't keep them in stock. They then went to a three piece ball that was also very good. At some point they changed manufacturers and "the recipe" and put out a new 4 piece substandard POS that they eventually recalled due to all of the complaints. I have some of the good 3 piece balls and I have been happy with them.

They recently put out a putter that has been well received.

I heard while playing yesterday that Berkshire Hills in Chesterland has closed. I see nothing on the web confirming this yet when a friend tried calling for a tee time the # did not work and the web site is now down. A decent course that was known for good length and huge '60s era greens. It was originally part of the semi-private group that also included the old Landerhaven Golf Course in Mayfield.

Here is a list of courses in the CLE area that have closed in recent years:

Astrohurst
Berkshire Hills
Brandywine
Emerald Woods
Dorlon Park
Hawthorne Valley
Tam O'Shanter
Maplecrest
Oak Knowles
Skyland
Rustic Woods
Wicked Woods

Akron area recent closures. off of the top of my head:
Maplecrest
Green Hills
Kent State Meadowview
Ravenswood
Oak Knolls
Valley View
Boston Hills
Brandywine
Riverwoods
Sycamore

That stinks about Berkshire. Haven’t been there since the last century, but played several rounds there.

KSU’s quirky little course (and discounted ProVI golf balls...) closed a couple years back, too.

Dorlon and Emerald were dumps, but were great Places to get some work in On summer weekday afternoons. Emerald—you could pay for nine holes and just stay out on St. Andrews or Heatherwood for hours. No one knew nor cared, and there were Hardly any other players out there

Brandywine: what a back nine. And holes 11-16 were ripe for a potential scene out of ‘Deliverance’ to occur

In the Canton area,
Tam O' Shanter (not sure if it's the same one Auggie was referring to) closed in 2018. 62 acres of the land was rezoned commercial and sold. I believe they're planning to build a Meijer on that land. About 20 acres went to the township parks dept, and the largest parcel went to the county parks dept. "Tammy" was my HS's home course in the 2000s.

Rolling Green closed a few years ago and is slowly being turned into an allotment. It was by far the easiest course in the area.

Edgewood closed even longer ago and was bought by a church. IIRC, the church kept 9 holes for awhile. Edgewood was my HS's home course from the late '70s to the early '90s.

The Legends of Massillon got rid of 9 holes to become an 18-hole layout. They had a terrible time selling the land from the 9 additional holes. At one point, there was even talk of putting a water park on that land.

Arrowhead was once a private country club but is now a public course known as the Fairways of North Canton. It was my HS's home course for about 7 years in the '90s.

Bob-O-Link is now known as the Sanctuary and has undergone some type of re-configuration. There are no longer any holes south of Applegrove. That portion of the course is being turned into an allotment.

111411's home course of Sleepy Hollow is still open but was sold at auction within the past 2 years. It sold for such a low price that the previous owner threatened legal action to void the sale.

In the Canton area,
Tam O' Shanter (not sure if it's the same one Auggie was referring to) closed in 2018. 62 acres of the land was rezoned commercial and sold. I believe they're planning to build a Meijer on that land. About 20 acres went to the township parks dept, and the largest parcel went to the county parks dept. "Tammy" was my HS's home course in the 2000s.

Rolling Green closed a few years ago and is slowly being turned into an allotment. It was by far the easiest course in the area.

Edgewood closed even longer ago and was bought by a church. IIRC, the church kept 9 holes for awhile. Edgewood was my HS's home course from the late '70s to the early '90s.

The Legends of Massillon got rid of 9 holes to become an 18-hole layout. They had a terrible time selling the land from the 9 additional holes. At one point, there was even talk of putting a water park on that land.

Arrowhead was once a private country club but is now a public course known as the Fairways of North Canton. It was my HS's home course for about 7 years in the '90s.

Bob-O-Link is now known as the Sanctuary and has undergone some type of re-configuration. There are no longer any holes south of Applegrove. That portion of the course is being turned into an allotment.

111411's home course of Sleepy Hollow is still open but was sold at auction within the past 2 years. It sold for such a low price that the previous owner threatened legal action to void the sale.

Sleepy Hollow has actually been getting a lot of play, lately. We always tee off at 8:42 on weekdays to get out ahead of non members. Play seems to pick up about 9:30-10:00. The former owner couldn't have been thinking clearly when he went ABSOLUTE auction.

That stinks about Berkshire. Haven’t been there since the last century, but played several rounds there.

KSU’s quirky little course (and discounted ProVI golf balls...) closed a couple years back, too.

Dorlon and Emerald were dumps, but were great Places to get some work in On summer weekday afternoons. Emerald—you could pay for nine holes and just stay out on St. Andrews or Heatherwood for hours. No one knew nor cared, and there were Hardly any other players out there

Brandywine: what a back nine. And holes 11-16 were ripe for a potential scene out of ‘Deliverance’ to occur

When Myron and I played the back on Brandywine, we were seriously worried that someone was going to come out of the woods and were going to force us into something that we weren't going to like.

When Myron and I played the back on Brandywine, we were seriously worried that someone was going to come out of the woods and were going to force us into something that we weren't going to like.

It's bad enough that you have to worry about what Myron might do. LOL. You never know what could happen if the hallucinations of the Portage County Pro-V honeys kick in.

It's bad enough that you have to worry about what Myron might do. LOL. You never know what could happen if the hallucinations of the Portage County Pro-V honeys kick in.

Myron has been known to cruise the streets of Portage County when he gets low on his golf ball supply.

What was the short course in Hartville? Lakeview? It shut down. I've heard Seven Hills may be in trouble.
Lived in Stark County most of my life, but I'd never heard of Lakeview.

I'm wondering how a course like Meadowlake is still around. It didn't look like they maintained it very well 25 years ago when I played it a few times as a teenager. IIRC, the property was originally a dairy farm.

Lived in Stark County most of my life, but I'd never heard of Lakeview.

I'm wondering how a course like Meadowlake is still around. It didn't look like they maintained it very well 25 years ago when I played it a few times as a teenager. IIRC, the property was originally a dairy farm.

It was just east of town. I never played it but heard it was not much of a course. They did have a clubhouse with an extensive array of clubs however.

I have to play Chenoweth for an event and don't know much about this course other than I see a hole from I-77 and it doesn't look like anything special. I hear a lot of mixed reviews too, especially that they jam in as much play as possible in peak hours to make $s and there is crazy long waits on some holes. Any tips or takes out there?

I have to play Chenoweth for an event and don't know much about this course other than I see a hole from I-77 and it doesn't look like anything special. I hear a lot of mixed reviews too, especially that they jam in as much play as possible in peak hours to make $s and there is crazy long waits on some holes. Any tips or takes out there?

Call in sick?

It's not great but it's not awful. There's a reason for the mixed reviews. Some places where it is a little tight. Be prepared to keep the driver in the bag on some holes. Maintenance is just okay. There are worse places they could have their outing.

Call in sick?

It's not great but it's not awful. There's a reason for the mixed reviews. Some places where it is a little tight. Be prepared to keep the driver in the bag on some holes. Maintenance is just okay. There are worse places they could have their outing.

What he said. Chenoweth is just another course, no remarkable holes, nor any bad holes.