St Vincent St Mary 2020

Hearing good things about the off season for Coach Nickol and the Irish. Sounds like team....especially the line....putting in the work. Nice to hear.
Hope that's true. In the past few years they had the size and the talent on the O Line, but seemingly not so much the commitment. If Coach Nickol has them committed to the weight room, then this will go a long way to prove the Irish have the right man for the job.

The offensive line play has been disappointing in recent years. I've heard the same thing Irish60 alludes to, a lack of commitment. Nickol went from 7 wins in this first season to 8 in his second. Steady improvement. Hopefully, he keeps it going this year.

No question the line has been a problem the last few years which is why I’m encouraged by what I am hearing. Seems like there is a genuine commitment form the players to put in the work and get stronger.

Seems like it takes 2 years for the kids and staff to get on the same page. If the athletes are there, they hit stride in the coach‘s 3rd year. It worked in Massillon, gonna be fun to watch and see, what the Irish bring to the field this year. Also in Summit Co., it’s year 3 at Stow.

Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary
08/28 H RICC Canada Prep (ON)
09/04 A Aurora
09/11 H Akron East
09/18 A Youngstown Cardinal Mooney
09/25 H Akron Buchtel
10/02 A Warren Warren G. Harding
10/09 A Youngstown Ursuline
10/16 H Akron Archbishop Hoban
10/23 A Columbus Bishop Hartley
10/30 H Cuyahoga Falls Walsh Jesuit

Agree with Buckeye on year 3. This is a big year for Coach Nickol and the Irish. Really felt like the team took a step forward last year.

That's a solid D3 schedule.
While I agree with you in principle - I would tend to say the proper adjective may be "rugged". The Irish certainly have their work cut out for them this season.
I’m expecting 8 wins for the Irish.
Nothing would please me more than to see your prediction come true. But I am going to inject a bit more realism into your point when I look at the schedule.

My brother and I saw Aurora destroy Barberton at Sharkey Stadium last year. Just steeped on their throat from the jump and never let them up off the carpet. I don't know who is coming back for the Greenmen, but a trip to Veterans Stadium won't make this any easier.

I know we have had better success lately against Mooney and Ursuline, but I remember an awful lot of rides home that ended up being very long ones because we had our butts handed to us at Stambaugh Stadium. And we make that trip twice this season.

Last time that we played Harding, it was at home and it was a shoot out. If you think it will be easier in Warren, your though process is probably chemically assisted. Best part about that trip would be a stop at The Hot Dog Shoppe.

I don't care how many blue chippers Hoban graduated - that is still the pinnacle of the season for both schools.

And a 2 hour bus ride for the privilege of facing 2019 state semifinalist Bishop Hartley is no picnic.

Hoping for the best.

Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary
08/28 H RICC Canada Prep (ON)
09/04 A Aurora
09/11 H Akron East
09/18 A Youngstown Cardinal Mooney
09/25 H Akron Buchtel
10/02 A Warren Warren G. Harding
10/09 A Youngstown Ursuline
10/16 H Akron Archbishop Hoban
10/23 A Columbus Bishop Hartley
10/30 H Cuyahoga Falls Walsh Jesuit
Know nothing about the Canadian team, but after them, this is 1tough schedule. These are all quality opponents. I know 2 or 3 of these programs have been down lately, but historically the ability to bounce back is there. The 1 positive I see, is Massillon is not on it. Here‘s hoping for a great coming season. GO IRISH !

Has anyone heard anything "official" yet if the opener against RICC has been cancelled and a potential replacement game if that indeed is the case?

Has anyone heard anything "official" yet if the opener against RICC has been cancelled and a potential replacement game if that indeed is the case?
Nothing "official" yet. But some areas of Canada are already cancelling college football seasons. This doesn't bode well for the Canadian high school teams to play at all, let alone travel to the US to play. Coupled with the travel restrictions and border restrictions in place (which aren't likely to change during an election year!), I can't imagine any Canadian team being able to travel to the US to play this Fall.

I would suspect there are a lot of schools facing issues with Canadian and out of state opponents. As such, there should be some schools out there looking for opponents.

This may be the season we see teams playing opponents more than once. I don't want to play Hoban twice, as now they are open in week 1. (Don Bosco Prep cancelled).

I favor seeing if Dover is interested. I would like to keep the week 1 home game - but we may need to travel down I-77.

This may be the season we see teams playing opponents more than once. I don't want to play Hoban twice, as now they are open in week 1. (Don Bosco Prep cancelled).

I favor seeing if Dover is interested. I would like to keep the week 1 home game - but we may need to travel down I-77.
Dover would work. So would Walsh. On another thread it was pointed out that Walsh had a Week 1 game with a Canadian school as well.

Yes they did.

Massillon is open week 1 as well now (Nike Classic cancelled vs. Bishop Gorman). But it just doesn't make any sense to schedule a team like Massillon or Hoban that has an at least 70% chance of being a loss.

Losses do nothing for your computer points total.

My brother and I saw Aurora destroy Barberton at Sharkey Stadium last year. Just steeped on their throat from the jump and never let them up off the carpet. I don't know who is coming back for the Greenmen, but a trip to Veterans Stadium won't make this any easier.

Hoping for the best.

QB Alex Moore is a third-year varsity player and second-year starter for the Greenmen. He's on pace to set quite a few records at Aurora, and had a very impressive sophomore campaign. Soon to be senior tailback Evan McVay has a few offers, and he will be back as well.

Irish have a backup plan for week one. Hoban at Massillon Week one. The Irish will be strong up front OT Peter Schmidt 6-5 280 OT Tariq Montgomery 6-6 300 OG Mayco Williams 6-2 255 (Kent Commit) OG David Robinson 6-2 280 C Tyler Ellsworth 6-1 225 TE/Wr Daylen Burney 6-6 225 (D1 recruit) Quinn Knox 6-2 210 Mike Eickoff 6-2 210. WR Darren Lewis 6-0 175 (Akron Commit) WR Hadji Jackson 5-11 175 FB Evan Pelfry 6-1 220 RB George LIndberger 6-0 210 RB Josh Nickerson 5-11 200

Last edited:
Irish have a backup plan for week one. Hoban at Massillon Week one. The Irish will be strong up front OT Peter Schmidt 6-5 280 OT Tariq Montgomery 6-6 300 OG Mayco Williams 6-2 255 (Kent Commit) OG David Robinson 6-2 280 C Tyler Ellsworth 6-1 225 TE/Wr Daylen Burney 6-6 225 (D1 recruit) Quinn Knox 6-2 210 Mike Eickoff 6-2 210. WR Darren Lewis 6-0 175 (Akron Commit) WR Hadji Jackson 5-11 175 FB Evan Pelfry 6-1 220 RB George LIndberger 6-0 210 RB Josh Nickerson 5-11 200

Let's hope that size translates to effective O line play this year. I hasn't in recent years.

Past lineman Cameron Irvin 6-4 280 Toledo Savion Washington 6-9 330 Kent State OT/DE Eric Bentley 6-3 285 Akron TE Niko Laos 6-5 240 Dartmouth DE/OH David Hooks 6-2 264 to name a few who have gone on to play college football. Seniors Burney Schmidt,Juniors Montgomery and Robinson are all college prospects. Williams already committed to Kent State. Hopefully they gel into a powerful running game with Lindberger Pelfrey Nickerson Lewis Colby toting the rock.