OHSAA High School Early Season Cross Country Invitational - August 15

runohio

FYI
The OHSAA is planning to host the ninth annual “OHSAA High School Early Season Cross Country Invitational” on August 15, 2020.

There will be THREE race formats for both boys and girls competition:
• 5000 meter scored team race
• 5000 meter open race
• 2.5 mile open race
Schools may enter a maximum of 10 runners in the 5000 meter scored team race, 10 runners in the 5000 meter open race and 30 runners in the 2.5 mile open race. Schools with less than five runners may enter the scored team race as individual competitors or the open race which are not scored. Total number of competitors from each school may not exceed 100 (50 boys & 50 girls).
Team Entry Fees Per School: 5 to 10 runners per race
$100 – One race entered with 5 or more competitors
$170 – Two races entered with 5 or more competitors in each race ($80 per race)
$250 – Three races entered with 5 or more competitors in each race ($80 per race)
$300 – Four races entered with 5 or more competitors in each race ($75 per race)
$375 – Five races entered with 5 or more competitors in each race ($75 per race)
$450 – Six races entered with 5 or more competitors in each race ($75 per race)

So you would have to assume they have a map since last year the race was 3200 and this year it is advertised as 2.5 miles. Maybe that is how it worked out with what they had available to finish at the same place as the 5k.

Nevermind the FinishTiming link I posted earlier. The info posted there is mixed. It lists the date of August 15, 2020, but it also lists the location as National Trail Raceway.

If you look at the limited info on the OHSAA's website, it mentions a 2.25 mile race, not a 2.5 mile race.

One of my OATCCC contacts told me that the new race director had a course but it had the start far away and some other imperfections. They are fixing those to make it best they can at that venue for runners, fans, and coaches. It may or may not be finished by this point. My convrsation was 2-3 weeks ago.

One of my OATCCC contacts told me that the new race director had a course but it had the start far away and some other imperfections. They are fixing those to make it best they can at that venue for runners, fans, and coaches. It may or may not be finished by this point. My convrsation was 2-3 weeks ago.
Do we know who the new race director is?

Do we know who the new race director is?

He was not someone I know of. He lives in the Olentangy area and is a friend of one of the OHSAA commissioners or staff. He does not have a background in XC. These are according to my one OATCCC source. That might be why someone is correcting the start from being very far from everything else.

It is a bit off putting that in this day and age that they would make a decision to move the venue, and not have a course map sent out to coaches a month later. So, did they just look at the site and say, "yep, looks like we can make that work." but not take any time to actually figure out the course? Can that be possible? Or, are they just not taking the time to put it out there for us? It's like a 30 minute thing if that. I'm thinking there might be a few people with some time on their hands that could get it done. Find some our of work 12 year old and it will be done with a virtual tour in about an hour.

It is a bit off putting that in this day and age that they would make a decision to move the venue, and not have a course map sent out to coaches a month later. So, did they just look at the site and say, "yep, looks like we can make that work." but not take any time to actually figure out the course? Can that be possible? Or, are they just not taking the time to put it out there for us? It's like a 30 minute thing if that. I'm thinking there might be a few people with some time on their hands that could get it done. Find some our of work 12 year old and it will be done with a virtual tour in about an hour.

I agree with this. How do you announce a CC venue change for the State Cross-Country meet and not accompany that with a course map?

Fotress Obetz officials called the OHSAA to see if they could host any soccer or football games. The OHSAA asked it they could host the State CC Championships and Fortress Obetz said yes ( I am sure they didn't have a course and as mentioned earlier when they came up with a course there were a few problems they had to address - not sure if they fixed the issues yet).

The course map is done but not allowed to post yet due to people going to facility to run the course since the park is open. There have already been a lot of teams/individuals running around the grounds (with some even hopping fences). I have not seen it yet but was told it was being finished last week. Terry Oerhtman is still meet manager.

The course map is done but not allowed to post yet due to people going to facility to run the course since the park is open. There have already been a lot of teams/individuals running around the grounds (with some even hopping fences). I have not seen it yet but was told it was being finished last week. Terry Oerhtman is still meet manager.

I had lunch with my OATCCC contact yesterday and he said that Terry will act as a liason to the new meet manager this year and be out of it next year. He also said the map hasn't come out yet because of what you mentioned, teams going in without social distancing and climbing fences during hours when it is not open to the public. The original course design was not overly fan friendly and now has both 1600 and 3200 splits right in front ot the grandstand.

I think my source has some credible information and contacts but could always be mistaken.

Has anyone heard any news on this? We are now 1 month away and I personally have not heard any updates.

What are the rules and regulations going to be related to COVID?

And I am sure the demand for this meet this year is very high. Can they handle all the teams who originally signed up due to COVID?

Curious if anyone knows anything.

Reactions: VFL
I just don’t see how this meet happens. It’s going to be a huge event with people from all over the state. There has to be some concern about the spread of COVID-19. I hope I’m wrong but it’s only 23 days away.

Specific Sport Med Athletic Staff Accommodations and Recommendations:

1] Medical Van should be parked as near to the finish line area as possible.
2] Four cooling tubs (depending on number of teams and entries) located under tenting near medical van.
3] Supply cool spray misting showers located at finish area—3 or 4 recommended depending on the number of teams and entries.
4] Local fire department EMT service to be pre-meet notified

Am I missing something here?? This was just part of what was sent out by Gabor today.
Are our kids at risk of dropping dead during the race, or right after??
Does a cool spray misting shower sound like a bad idea during this pandemic(if not any other year!!)??

2] Four cooling tubs (depending on number of teams and entries) located under tenting near medical van.
3] Supply cool spray misting showers located at finish area—3 or 4 recommended depending on the number of teams and entries.

Am I missing something here?? This was just part of what was sent out by Gabor today.
Are our kids at risk of dropping dead during the race, or right after??
Does a cool spray misting shower sound like a bad idea during this pandemic(if not any other year!!)??

Where did you see this at from Gabor?

OHSAA Cross Country Guideline:

Potential Covid-19 Protocol Mitigations for Meets of more than 3 teams

Before the Event:
1] Meet manager(s) to follow all Federal, State, Local government and Health Department(s)
Protocol(s)
2] Participating schools responsible for individual temperature check and health questions for all
their athletes and coaches before departure from school
3] Depending on government and health department regulations on meet day; at the very minimum, it
is strongly suggested (if not required) that all spectators wear masks when outside their private vehicles
4] Depending on government and health department regulations on meet day; at the very minimum, it
is strongly suggested (if not required) that when not in competition areas or when not preparing for or cooling down from competition that all athletes and coaches wear masks

5] All officials and workers will be masked throughout the day and those in close contact with others
will be gloved

6] It is recommended that all attending carry personal hand sanitizer and maintain social distancing
when possible
7] Social distancing areas will be designated in the 6,500 seat stadium (2019 attendance was 2,029)

Starting Area:

1] Starting line boxes wider to accommodate better spacing between runners
Extra spacing between team boxes
2] Runners will not be brought out by starter to give instructions—this will be accomplished through
written information in the coach’s packet and/or through hand held PA device
3] Runners will not be held on starting line for more than 10 seconds
4] Teams will be limited in number of starters (runners) in each race

During the Race:
1] Individual cups of water will be available at the 2 mile race point
Individuals handling water cups will be masked and wearing gloves
2] Close visual monitoring of athletes by all officials, workers, and athletic trainers
3] Athletes will be encouraged not to purposely touch or assist other runners during competition

After the Race:
1] Finish chute will be fan shaped into 4 separate finish zones
2] All finish workers will be masked and gloved
3] Only licensed and properly dressed medical personal will touch athletes in need of attention
4] Bottled water will be available for all finishers
5] Sufficient number of athletic trainers should be on site; along with two physicians (depending on the number of teams and entries
6] All surfaces that have potential for physical contact will be frequently sanitized
7] Disposable finish bib chips can be used
8] All competitors will be continuously encouraged not to purposely touch other competitors and/or
officials, and to keep moving through the recovery area to the exit

Additional Notes

*Starting boxes should be a minimum of 10’ in width, with an additional 6 feet in between boxes for social distancing;
*Allow for multiple corrals at the end of the races so runners can feed into a less crowded area. This will not change the fact that you will still only need 1 finish line. Allow the finish chute to fan out in the back to allow for the multiple corrals;
*An average finish zone is approximately 15’. Recommend to increase that width (depending on the number of teams);
*Depending on the number of teams or entries, suggested 100 runners at one time, allowing for 25 runners in each corral.

I get things like more spacing at the start, no conference with the official, and other items, but like gatornation asked, are the kids at risk from the virus during the race? Cups of water at 2 miles?

It was like he cut and pasted information from other outlets.
Social distancing areas will be designated in the 6,500 seat stadium (2019 attendance was 2,029), like why is this statement in a general XC recommendations??